The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/13/2015 05:48 AM CST
So... it's been a while. I am just curious if there are plans to develop filling the right hand side of the passive regeneration bar anytime soonish/in the future (besides spending $500 on one of the very few lizard charms out there that fill IF 100% instantly as often as you want). Items? Abilities? Improvements (like even hitting something will reward IF, not just killing it)? I haven't really said anything because I know a lot of development is going on non-barb related, but if I understand correctly, we are up soon. I don't want analyze flame to be my only option to support using my abilities most effectively.

It would be neat to actually have special maneuvers (barb only) that can be unlocked with enough right hand side IF. I can see a lot of expansion with that side of the bar.

If anyone has any suggestions on the matter, it may be insightful to share.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/13/2015 09:41 AM CST

I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about? By 'right hand side' do you mean 'right of the / mark'? I thought that was just showing where our passive IF recovery point was?
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/13/2015 11:19 AM CST
The right-hand side is the inner fire that is no longer passively regenerated. It is basically useless. You can fill it but it will just drain if you stop killing things.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/13/2015 12:55 PM CST

That's what I thought you meant - if I'm not using berserks, I notice IF filling past the passive point frequently. I presumed that's what Roars and Berserks were for consuming? Though I agree, it would be neat if there was more interplay with IF!
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/14/2015 01:25 AM CST
Yes, there will eventually be abilities developed that make use of your excess IF. I had plans for one special attack move in each of the 3 paths to kick this off.

But part of the benefit of having a full bar is to allow you to enable even more buffs. Then it drains down, you stop them, refill it and repeat. Do you just not have enough abilities that would support such a tactic?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/14/2015 07:13 AM CST
I'll have to do some testing, but the last time I had a full bar... I don't remember. I think I was severely backtraining and using hardly any abilities, but it still took quite a bit of time to fill. I know the theoretical concept behind it, but it just is cumbersome, because it drains back to the passive point. Hypothetical scenario: you decide to go to the Wyvern trials one night. Before you go, you spend a significant amount of time filling your IF bar up. By the time you get to your fight, that excess is not going to be there to tap into.

At this point, I get how this existing system works... all the way. I haven't commented much on it, because I knew we were not in your sights for that time being. Now that we're on the horizon, I wanted to get a dialogue going, because in the meantime, the majority of us are just making the current system work until something more exciting/dynamic is released.

>>Do you just not have enough abilities that would support such a tactic?

In my opinion, barbs are lacking oomph. I know I am not the only one who shares this opinion, but I guess the others will have to speak up if they want to be represented. This is not a series of complaints, but rather a desire for some more enhancements. Some things we are sorely lacking are:

*DFA type of attacks. Other guilds have this... with their weapons even, yet we do not. That seems rather odd for the weapons primary guild. It's pretty hard to be balanced when you don't even have a critical attack option that other guilds have.

*More advanced maneuvers with weapons than other guilds can get. We need something to make up for our lack of actual magic to balance out things. A couple ideas:

*An IF battery: you fill portions of your IF bar beyond the passive regen cap and can store them until you hit a "full point." Once full, you can activate the battery (whenever you want) and fill your IF to 100% and then it behaves as normal, with standard drain rate. This could come in handy in a pinch. I have no idea how the favor orb system is written, but I can imagine this being similar in concept. "Rub" it until it is full, then cash it in when you want.

*More potent maneuvers that are barbarian-specific and DFA. Maybe one that skips shield and one that skips evasion. Made up examples: maneuver penetrate (ignores shield), maneuver dominate (ignores evasion). Give them the appropriate cooldowns.

*Something that puts us to melee instantly.

*In general: put an end to teleporting to missile.

*Having to complete analyzed expertise combos is okay for PvE, but much too cumbersome for PvP. We need things that are more instantaneous.

Further thoughts:

It would also be nice to be awarded IF for actually causing damage, not just killing. If our system is so heavily hinged on inflicting damage to our enemies, it would be nice to have a little more in ways of options to do so.

Perhaps expertise can be expanded to fuel the DFA maneuvers, etc. Just some thoughts.

Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/14/2015 09:12 AM CST

>It would also be nice to be awarded IF for actually causing damage, not just killing. If our system is so heavily hinged on inflicting damage to our enemies, it would be nice to have a little more in ways of options to do so.

I think this would help to smooth the IF gen/flow out, and help make ability management a little easier.
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/14/2015 04:05 PM CST
>>In my opinion, barbs are lacking oomph.

I really have no part in the IF discussion, but I did want to comment on this. I do agree that Barbs lack some oomph. They are not weak by any means, and seem to have a good selection of abilities, but it just seems they lack that combo of abilities that can turn a fight in their direction.

I know when it comes to PvP I won't bat my eye at taking on a Barb, and probably wouldn't even take my time to fully buff and prepare myself if I know they don't grossly outclass me. On the other hand I would think twice about attacking a Cleric or War Mage, and definitely take my time to prepare. Maybe this is because those guilds (including Thieves) have some over powered combos/abilities, or maybe it's because Barbs lack them. The funny thing is I would rather PvP Clerics/Warmies because those scary abilities makes it much more interesting than just who can chop who the fastest.

I'm not really sure what would help Barbs be more potent in PvP, but I just wanted to give an outside perspective on it.
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/14/2015 09:14 PM CST

That's interesting. I feel like Barbs have a great suite of situational PvP abilities, but I suppose >0 of them at second glance aren't terribly useful in actual PvP. Swan for example - I can't imagine PvPing with someone who pumps less mana into an offensive spell that Swan would stop it.

But that said, Roars fire off instantly, forms probably reach full potential in only slightly less time than it takes MUs to snap off the same number of spells, and defensively and offensively there's a lot to mess around with.

My last PvP experience I got walloped by a thief who stealthed me into submission - I suppose Slash the Shadows, Owl, Piranha, Python, Tornado, and Landslide would have been optimal to use? Maybe Flashflood? Will Earthquake hit people hiding?

I concur though that all this requires a huge IF cost to get going, which probably isn't sustainable or even possible in a PvP setting. All the more reason for some kind of IF battery ability.
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/14/2015 11:17 PM CST
Just for the record, damage fuels IF in PvP. Kills fuel IF in PvE. I made that change a while back to help with some of the complaints folks were having. So shooting a thief in the eyeball with an arrow, would give you some IF back :P

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/14/2015 11:23 PM CST
>So shooting a thief in the eyeball with an arrow, would give you some IF back :P

First, you'd have to find them in hiding. Second, you'd have to shoot them before they ambush/snipe you.

Salute a drowned sailor? You ought to brush up on your protocol, Kasto.
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/14/2015 11:36 PM CST

>>First, you'd have to find them in hiding. Second, you'd have to shoot them before they ambush/snipe you.

First, you'd have to find them in hiding. Second, you'd have to aim to actually use your bow well enou.. oh silence pulsed. Second you have to search again. Third you'd have to roar at them to hold them still a mi.. damn that barrier. Wait, where did they go? Fourth you have to search again. Oh, I see them, I can point in three, two... dagger through the spleen. All I have to say is thank god for famine and tenacity.
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/15/2015 07:08 AM CST
>>Just for the record, damage fuels IF in PvP. Kills fuel IF in PvE. I made that change a while back to help with some of the complaints folks were having

I know. I still think that damaging a critter should fuel IF in PvE, though. I don't see how it could hurt... let's put it that way.

Kodius, out of curiosity, what plans do you have in store for barbarians? It's been so long since we've discussed the future. :( I miss our talks.

Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/15/2015 08:47 AM CST

Barbs don't have that one or two things that really hurts... tm is king right now. Weapons are blah. It will all swing around as these things do.

We definitely have a nice toolset but in pvp we are lacking a little.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/15/2015 10:09 AM CST

>>Barbs don't have that one or two things that really hurts... tm is king right now.

This. And under the current combat model, it really always will be. TM imposes no roundtime to target, and you can continue to debilitate your opponent via tactics, or cause damage via physical weapons. It's literally a whole extra damage source, in some cases (with cyclics) multiple sources, above and beyond what we can employ.

Rank for rank, at the truth of it, a War Mage can use a weapon just as well as we can. (I don't want to hear: 'But, Tsunami!' Ignite. 'But your weapon buffs!' Tailwind. And I won't even get into defensive buffs.) Now, add in Rimefang or Fire Rain, substantial cyclic TM damage, and throw in Fireball, or any of multistrike TM, and their damage output increases exponentially over the single, completely roundtime-rooted source we are given.

The only way things can possibly be brought into line, here, is to give us a cyclic style berserk as a damage source, like was proposed to begin with, or to make targetted magic work as weapon maneuvers. You attack or do anything roundtime-binding while targetting, and it's going to break your target process. Even then, cyclic TM would still be an overwhelming combination with weapons and the use of disablers, which don't need to be targetted.

Barbarians NEED another damage source. This has been talked about in the past, more than once, and Kodius has even agreed at some point during the original conception of the Earthquake idea. I have both Clerics and War Mage friends in my hunting area I can fight with on even ground, with comparable ranks and stats, and I can guarantee if I took a parse from all three of us, working 100% to our capacity, we would be shamefully left in the dust.
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/16/2015 10:19 PM CST
Berserks should hurt more, IMO.
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/17/2015 12:39 PM CST
Do berserks sap IF based on how difficult they are?
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/18/2015 12:18 AM CST
>>The only way things can possibly be brought into line, here, is to give us a cyclic style berserk as a damage source, like was proposed to begin with, or to make targetted magic work as weapon maneuvers. You attack or do anything roundtime-binding while targetting, and it's going to break your target process. Even then, cyclic TM would still be an overwhelming combination with weapons and the use of disablers, which don't need to be targetted.

Well I am banned from making abilities that do damage unless it checks TM skill. And rewriting TM to do what you ask is probably outside of my skill level with magic even if we wanted to :chuckle:

Would a damaging berserk even matter? Would you stay at melee long enough for it to pulse?

Roars (with their instant-activation) were supposed to help even the field. Why are they not useful in these situations? Are BSs always stunning you, thus preventing you from roaring the thief immobilized at melee for you to impale him? You mentioned a barrier, is the thief capable of resisting roars 100% of the time? If they do resist, is the barrier not weakened? At the expense of voice pool can you not break it down?

If you put up Swan + Serenity how is magic still an issue? Is Serenity undesirable because of the roar blocking? What if I made it just use more voice pool or give more RT instead?

Why can you not hide to break target?

Why can you not use Slash the Shadows to unhide the hiders?

It isn't like you don't have abilities. The abilities are working as well as global caps in the core mechanics will allow. The idea is that since every Guild uses the same mechanics, it should be difficult for one to get overpowered. I realize some abilities maybe be unique and overpowered, but those should be exceptions to the rule...

Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/18/2015 07:53 AM CST
I've rarely ever had a Barb's roar be successful against me in PvP, and if it was, it was barely successful and had a very short duration. I don't know if it the lack of Debilitation skill or the stat contests, or maybe both together. The only time I fear a Barb's roar is if they grossly outclass me, then you are talking about characters like Buuwl, Squanto, and Gort who all have 100+ in all their stats.
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/18/2015 08:38 AM CST
>Well I am banned from making abilities that do damage unless it checks TM skill. And rewriting TM to do what you ask is probably outside of my skill level with magic even if we wanted to :chuckle:

Why not have it check weapon skill?

>Would a damaging berserk even matter? Would you stay at melee long enough for it to pulse?

Rimefang and RoS are used by Warmies, right?

>If you put up Swan + Serenity how is magic still an issue? Is Serenity undesirable because of the roar blocking? What if I made it just use more voice pool or give more RT instead?

I don't think people are doing a lot of non-capped spellcasting at the range people are discussing, and Serenity, being a meditation, means it's not particularly useful to most in PvP situations where they aren't the aggressor, and it means no roaring. Similarly, I can't imagine using Dispel for anything - it'd be

I also have rarely had my roars affect people at level, and when it does, they shake it off pretty quick.
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/18/2015 09:52 AM CST
>Rimefang and RoS are used by Warmies, right?

Doesn't RoS get used for the knockback effect, rather than damage (i.e. it's used to force combatants out of melee)? It still checks TM as far as I know, so I'm not sure why you're referencing it. Similar for Rimefang; it's pulsing damage to melee, but I thought the discussions here were A) impossible for barbs to keep things at melee to punch, B) damage abilities have to check TM.
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/18/2015 12:39 PM CST
Gonna take this a step at a time, but it's honestly so much more than I could cover in one post, or even cover myself.

>>Well I am banned from making abilities that do damage unless it checks TM skill.

I thought the paradigm was that you could not deal damage with a skill trained with zero risk, IE something that could be trained out of combat. Why could the berserk not call on expertise and the related weapon skill, both combat skills, even the weapon skillset?

>>Would a damaging berserk even matter? Would you stay at melee long enough for it to pulse?

This is a two-parter, here. Lets mention bow combat, first. If I dont advance and keep pressing to melee range, they just leave the room when I aim (or, pulsing inviso just wrecks aim faster than you can get a shot off), prep a disabler, and blow me up when I move to follow. Aimed weapon combat is a joke in PVP right now, unless someone just stands there and lets you hit them, it's worthless for us. This is partially because of an issue with roars which I will bring up again later (and was even quantified by other GMs the last time this was brought up).

So yes, even with bow, I am required to keep advancing, and push for melee.

>>Roars (with their instant-activation) were supposed to help even the field.

I cannot harp on this enough, but my point just fails to be seen. Every caster that tries to PVP caps out their mentals, asap, because of the TM and Debilitation power granted by them (disc, int and wisdom), the disabler defenses, the learning advantages. Our one means of disabling is lobbed against what is the highest statwall in the general PVP community, and outside it. Every other guild has multiple contests as ways for a workaround here, we do not. Hell, earthquake STILL doesnt work in pvp. Every time it is brought up, there is a back and forth 'Yes it does' 'No it doesn't' then people actually test, realize it doesn't, still, and it slips into obscurity again. As per disabling goes, we're damn near traders with a coin flip.

In addition to that, our voice pool diminishing reduces the strength, meaning even if we can get one or two off in the beginning of a fight, that ability is even going to decrease in potency, seemingly quite a bit. We have no staying power in the new combat system which prompts much longer fights.

>> Are BSs always stunning you, thus preventing you from roaring the thief immobilized at melee for you to impale him?

No, but the combination of dirt (random up to 5 second RTs, when it lands) slash, clout, and pulsing invis giving no contest stealth and forcing a 3 second search, plus point in most cases to be able to interact, leaves you disabled and stabbed again before you can react. Not to mention their AOE pulsing disabler, something persistant akin to clerics with hydrahex (which is nasty), is a double dip for them. It penalizes evasion, which is the only defense contested on a successful stab.

>> You mentioned a barrier, is the thief capable of resisting roars 100% of the time? If they do resist, is the barrier not weakened? At the expense of voice pool can you not break it down?

To answer these as simply as possible, first: Yes. No. No. Concentration is a much more forgiving buff source than fire, recovers faster, and especially at top end, unless they really, really overdo it they are rarely (see: never in my experience) left empty and buffless the way we are eventually. Even if they get low, they have Khri's that guarantee escape, move a few rooms, sit invisible for 30 seconds to gain back a lot of concentration. Even reactivating the roar blocking khri while invisible.

On top of this, the thief in question, with substantially less utility than my warding, is easily able to shut down spells without sacrificing the use of other abilities. They have no drawback. But, when I throw up a bear boosted turtle, from a point of 100 base ranks higher before the warding bonus is even applied, the spells not only fly right through, but near max success. She resists completely from a lower point, with an ability with no drawbacks, but I get floored with considerably more skill and totaled, a bit higher mentals (in situations where willpower was the contest).

>>If you put up Swan + Serenity how is magic still an issue? Is Serenity undesirable because of the roar blocking? What if I made it just use more voice pool or give more RT instead?

Roar blocking? I could be on outdated information, but last time I roared with Serenity, the roar shattered serenity dropping it completely. Is this no longer the case? That coupled with the still decent fire hits EVERY time a spell hits us is just overwhelming. In a fight just last night, someone spammed a macro, snapcasting divine radiance multiple times a second. Probably 30 or so casts in 5 seconds. This would just wipe out fire completely, and honestly feels like something being exploited, and
needs to be looked at.

>>Why can you not hide to break target?

In the system as it stands? Even barbs that have exceptional stealth claim this is an inefficient strategy. Versus everyone and their mother having a perception buff, watch, being secondary, not having a passive stealth hindrance reduction like survival primes (in most cases)... Hell, even versus Limani, a thief with circles on me, but around the same combats, I auto point her hide attempts. It's the no contest invis that gets me.

>>Why can you not use Slash the Shadows to unhide the hiders?

Because one can only go so deep in so many trees and still grab at least the necessary masteries to reduce fire consumption. At this point, you're telling me I HAVE to have serenity, HAVE to have slash, you're dictating exactly what needs to be done, again, having to invest to the top of the trees. We are forced to pick and choose, but with these statements, you're saying we dont have a choice.

>>It isn't like you don't have abilities.

Not damage producing ones, like every other guild (Except traders and thieves, really, but thieves have a very effective, nearly cleric like toolbox to offset this, at least by top end). Again, having multiple sources of damage generation available simultaneously is much more important than you seem to think.

>> I realize some abilities maybe be unique and overpowered, but those should be exceptions to the rule...

This. Oh god this. The problem is, there are so many exceptions. Halo. Zero diminishing return knockback and stun with what seems to be a ridiculously easy contest even at lower mana, in extensive testing done by myself and others. Bard songs. Their CC also has zero diminishing returns. I spent a 5 minute fight not long ago on my back 80+% of the time because theyre nearly impossible to resist, both because of stat assignment and the design themselves, it appears. I've watched Noopin (RIP my little gnomefriend) lock down people 30+ circles over him the same way. There are so many 'exceptions'. So many gimmicks that bridge the gap for so many guilds, and our tools feel like they fall flat.

Again, in the cleric fight last night, I started with bow, and he just started moving around, prepping disablers, running, casting, not allowing an aim. So, being the moderately rounded barbarian I am, pulled out my throwing weapon in place of the bow. Thats when he hit me with CoZ. Welding that axe to my hand forcing me to engage him at melee. While engaging, he hits me with sick. screwing balance, dropping me to my knees. I expected it, and hit flashflood prior to keep me defending myself on my feet, but those balance hits hurt. Then, with a rotation of sick, refreshing CoZ, and attacking, he continued to wail away on me while forced to melee with my thrown weapon, definitely not my first choice. Even used soul bond at a point to lock me at pole range so I could neither leave nor advance. Some guilds have a toolbox diverse and powerful enough to take away every option until you completely outclass them and resist entirely.
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/18/2015 12:52 PM CST
<<Again, in the cleric fight last night, I started with bow, and he just started moving around, prepping disablers, running, casting, not allowing an aim. So, being the moderately rounded barbarian I am, pulled out my throwing weapon in place of the bow. Thats when he hit me with CoZ. Welding that axe to my hand forcing me to engage him at melee. While engaging, he hits me with sick. screwing balance, dropping me to my knees. I expected it, and hit flashflood prior to keep me defending myself on my feet, but those balance hits hurt. Then, with a rotation of sick, refreshing CoZ, and attacking, he continued to wail away on me while forced to melee with my thrown weapon, definitely not my first choice. Even used soul bond at a point to lock me at pole range so I could neither leave nor advance. Some guilds have a toolbox diverse and powerful enough to take away every option until you completely outclass them and resist entirely.>>

Yeah unfortunately when you get CoZ ed you have to walk away, and wait for it to be over, its stupid really. Its a waste of 10 minutes, usually if you do this enough you and the cleric can come to the mutual agreement that he's not allowed to cast that spell anymore.

The problem is barbs have zero win buttons and too many other guilds still currently do, its kinda lame sauce, hope it changes.

Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/18/2015 12:54 PM CST
Nice post, Kmorse.

Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/18/2015 01:27 PM CST

>>. Its a waste of 10 minutes, usually if you do this enough you and the cleric can come to the mutual agreement that he's not allowed to cast that spell anymore.

This alone speaks volumes. Clerics, please agree not to use your crazy abilities, bards, you too. Everyone just stop pushing your I win buttons because our guild followed the 'rules' when they were designed. So we can have a fair fight.

Even as ridiculous as that is, what happens when it's a real fight? You know, not two people agreeing to fight amicably under terms to impose game balance ourselves. And this doesn't just stop with clerics and bards.
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/18/2015 03:18 PM CST
What are the win buttons for other guilds? I'm not asking because I don't believe you, I'm just curious what everyone thinks they are.

For Clerics, I was under the impression it was SA, but I've also heard contrary reports. For Bards, ABAN and maybe AEWO?
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/18/2015 04:33 PM CST
Clerics - Their whole toolbox, as Kmorse said, they can just disable you into submission multiple different ways, plus tons of buffs and how quickly SA can kill you on max success.

Bards - A lot of CC options with contests that favor the Bard, multiple damage sources (cyclic TM, single TM, weapons), then Lore primary Tactics makes them impossible to beat at melee if the Bard knows what they are doing.

Warmies - Tons of damage sources, but really Bluff Gaeren (sp?) and Rimefang make them a real pain to engage.

Thieves - Different ways of buffing a primary skill that is the biggest check in all of their offensive ablities. (Stealth) Being survival primary + being able to buff the skill, and diminish the hinderance to the skill, allows them to be able to win stealth contests against anyone that is not survival primary. Then I guess pulsing inviso since everyone is talking about it.
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/18/2015 11:14 PM CST
>>I don't think people are doing a lot of non-capped spellcasting at the range people are discussing,

Possibly a failing of Magic 3.0 if unlimited capped-spell casting can be done without spending time harnessing, using cambrinth, etc. I'm not sure this can be fixed with a stronger magic barrier. Otherwise we're just back to old BMR.

Still, I'd want some confirmation this is what is happening. Leading with a capped spell is acceptable. Blasting you with 10 of them, is not. How many spell hits is it taking to kill you? With vitality being so much higher I'd think it at least 6-7 casts?

Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/19/2015 01:28 AM CST

>> How many spell hits is it taking to kill you?

I don't know about anyone else, but I generally don't die too fast, in damite ring, with monkey, piranha, contemplation, tenacity, and tornado running every time I fight, and I throw famine in when I start to get wounded.

I explained my issues above, earlier.
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/19/2015 10:42 AM CST
At end game they can blast away at cap. I'll try to grab erixx and die a few times today :-(

Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/19/2015 07:55 PM CST

I'll chime in on this.

For the most part, next to traders, barbarians are the worst when it comes PVP when we're talking @ comparable skill ranks. I play a cleric and a barbarian and really, it's just laughable.

Clerics have quite the varied toolbox, probably the most well rounded guild in the game as far as abilities go. Behind that I would say war mages and bards, although maybe the "well rounded" parts of bards are/were just more broken than they were rounded. Hard to say exactly.

Barbarians get the short end of the stick because their abilities feel wholly underpowered. In PVE they're okay.. it's nice having an "on demand" buff that's always at 100%, but it just doesn't feel like it's an adequate tradeoff for what they lacking. In PVP it's just a joke because most things are stat games now. And without going off into a whole other tangent of "Barbarians get shafted in the TDP department by not having as many skills available as other guilds to train with", that's where a lot of this lies. But even with barbarians getting shafted, let's LOOK at roars..

Most of them are FEAR vs WILLPOWER.

That means..

(CHARISMA + STRENGTH + DISCIPLINE) vs (DISCIPLINE + WISDOM + INTELLIGENCE)

srsly?

Besides the fact that most of the magic guilds can buff two out of the three mental stats (sry war mages), characters by default will commonly go with higher mental stats not because of the stat contest game but because training mentals means you learn skills faster as well. OMG!

But yet.. as a barbarian........ you're basically forcing them to train charisma (lol), strength (eh makes sense) and discipline (not bad but still not a "primary" stat that is often trained these days for the instance of mentals).

Roars are a joke because people go for mentals first hands down to bring in those skills quicker. And being forced to train charisma instead of mentals just to be a bit better at PVP means you also lose out in PVP because you're training slower than your magical counterparts. Thankfully there's at least warpaint to help with charisma and discipline since there are no forms/meds that boost those.

So right now, based on comparable skills and comparable time invested.. barbarians are going to lose hands down because they're currently set up to fail.

And yes, TDP gap.. yeah, it's there. Yeah, barbarians have a HUGE primary skillset (obligatory skillsets are dumb, btw) compared to other guilds. But guess what? While training all those wonderful primary skills that move faster than secondary.. how often do they tick to clear from completing a cycle?

Yeah, my secondary weapon skillset doesn't tick to clear.. gets pretty low, but not all the way down. My primary weapon skillset does. So yay, it's training quicker but it's also leaving things not moving because it's already cleared out. My mage though? Yeah, keeps all magics and weapons going. For magical folk that's 9 magical skills, plus another if you're magic prime.. whereas barbs it's 4 magics only (thieves as well get shafted in this.) Imagine having five more skills that you have, say.. 500 ranks in each. That nets you a little over 3k tdps. That can mean a lot in the stat game.

All that being said, I recommend everyone to get familiar with their timers. A complaint was made about "moving around".. aim and TM are both under the same influence with that. Get used to how long things take and either run away and come back, or hunt them down when they move. Don't expect a fight where two people are just going to stand there and look stupid. Because, well, if that's expected, looking stupid will probably happen.
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/19/2015 08:06 PM CST

>>aim and TM are both under the same influence with that. Get used to how long things take and either run away and come back, or hunt them down when they move.

Sorry for the quick follow up post, but I want to amend this. Seems bow was "fixed", you can no longer aim and leave a room and come back with aim still held. With TM you can. That's borked. Pick one paradigm and stick with it.
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/19/2015 08:17 PM CST

>>Sorry for the quick follow up post, but I want to amend this. Seems bow was "fixed", you can no longer aim and leave a room and come back with aim still held. With TM you can. That's borked. Pick one paradigm and stick with it.

Yeah, was about to reply with something about this, myself. In fact, if you target with TM, and the target hides post target and stays in the room, can't you also still cast? This is another HUGE difference.

I agree with the prior post, aside from the point that most roars are fear versus willpower. Unless I am somehow mistaken, they all are, which doesn't allow us the luxury most if not all other guilds have (sorry traders you dont count yet) in looking for a low stat and capitalizing.
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/19/2015 10:08 PM CST
So it sounds like making Roars use a more diverse set of contests would help considerably.

There may be a way to make Screech more powerful, thereby reducing the stat-point disparity folks are noticing at the higher circles in exchange for less overall roaring during a fight.

As I mentioned in the other thread, we know barriers have some issues that are complicating factors. Walking into a room and unloading a 6-shot fully-targeted capped pre-cast TM spell at someone is not desirable, and breaks abilities like Serenity that are intended to pulse per spell... Likewise, pulsing spells break barriers like Serenity because it isn't capable of permanently disrupting the pulsing spell.

Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/19/2015 10:34 PM CST

Please look at and consider the longer post of mine, in which i responded to your individual questions. While these things are a step in the right direction, we have the same damage production of any of the other guilds, after taking their magic away from them. Either we need more guild specific potent offensive abilities using weapons, or another source via berserks or something to generate damage. And that isn't even considering those things you admitted are out there, those 'exceptions' to the rule that are incredibly powerful abilities. Hell, people from other guilds are chiming in, with nothing to gain, saying how essentially flat we are. Usually the rallying cry of every MMO is 'Everyone else is OP and I need a buff.'
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/20/2015 04:41 AM CST

>>Yeah, was about to reply with something about this, myself. In fact, if you target with TM, and the target hides post target and stays in the room, can't you also still cast? This is another HUGE difference.

Yes and no. This is a bit of a sore spot to me and usually the reason why I lose a fight against a thief because I'm losing a fight against syntax.

If a thief hides on me and I see them (survival tert lol), I can still cast.

If a thief hides on me and I do NOT see them, then no I cannot cast. If I cast, it gives me messaging that I still have a spell prepared but that I've lost my target. If I point them out and target them it says that I do not have a spell prepared. Or sometimes it will say that I'm already targeting an area pattern (The spell was AE.. area pattern????) If I then prepare a spell it says I already have a spell prepared.

So I have to release the spell, reprep the spell, retarget the spell. That's a lot of time doing all that when the game is giving me contradictory information.. and often why I'm just standing there playing a guessing game of "What does syntax want me to do next?" while getting smacked around by a thief.

Two things are guaranteed in a thief fight.. death and syntax.
Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/20/2015 06:18 AM CST
>>Two things are guaranteed in a thief fight.. death and syntax.<<

I see what you did there, clever boy!

Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/20/2015 11:42 PM CST
Well I can see about looking into the syntactical inconsistencies with ranged combat and stealth. It isn't really my area, but I'll poke...

Re: The Right Hand Side of the Passive Regeneration Bar 02/21/2015 12:17 AM CST
>>Well I can see about looking into the syntactical inconsistencies with ranged combat and stealth. It isn't really my area, but I'll poke...

That would actually be perfect for a number of guilds that have to deal with pulsing invisibility. It's not just limited to spells, the syntax gets all weird when you're aiming a ranged weapon. My personal problem is needing to point out an invisible opponent when I myself am invisible. I can't aim a ranged weapon at an invisible opponent, but I can search them out, stare right at them, advance at them, attack at melee, and a few other things that feel inconsistent.