IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/27/2013 06:49 PM CDT

With the awesome guild meeting coming up ( very happy about this ), I wanted to come up with some ideas on question I wanted to ask. One of the big ones for me is how we will regenerate IF when pvping or outside of hunting, I wanted to know of Kodius had any ideas so far on how to go about doing this so far? If I knew if we had a direction we were going in I can go off what is already being thought out, if not I will try and come up with some stuff on my own. It is for sure a big issue when Barbarians are sub 150th circle, with me at around 100th circle when dueling or RP/PVPing I quickly have my abilities drop and it this issue keeps me from using my better abilities all together and even limits my normal ones such as lower level berserk. I have yet to be able to use a berserk outside of hunting because even the lower ones blow through my IF so fast everything drops.
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/27/2013 07:58 PM CDT
There's a touchy area between mech-abuse and playability in this question. I'm not sure what the best answer is to be honest.

- Buuwl
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/27/2013 09:58 PM CDT
I know how/why Kodius set up the current system, but I'm curious, is anyone getting to high IF state in combat? I know there was an issue with that at one point.

And I'm also curious, does anyone honestly like the way it's set up? I'd rather see a pool similar to magic, and simply have a low non-combat regen rate, and a regen rate boosted by combat, then further boosted by each kill. As I understand it that's similar to what we have now, but I'd see the cap removed, or raised a lot. Don't care much for that mechanic.

I'm a troll, I be trollin'
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/28/2013 03:58 AM CDT
I have a greatsword with a chakrel pommel stone, FACATED chancel stone. When you meditate on it, you get ALL your inner fire back, once a week. I believe the coming release of chakrel carving (a branch of engineering) will allow for players to create these type of stones vs the few form old auctions out there now.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Guru of M'Riss
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/28/2013 07:23 AM CDT
I thought no new Chakrel was being released specifically because Kodius was not sure what it would do in 3.0 and had not had time to decided or code it.

I'm a troll, I be trollin'
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/28/2013 10:33 PM CDT

I would love to see a blend of this, I think our regen needs to be kicked up, in combat even more so, and with kills we can a small boost to IF. Think about it, in pvp its not like we will be rolling through kills on people so the boost from a kill would not be a huge factor, but a nice bonus. Kind of like getting a part of the IF back you used to ravage that target back. I really just posted in order to get an idea of what was being thought of so I could be ready for the barb meeting so ideas are awesome.
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/29/2013 12:33 AM CDT
The current system of IF is intended to be playable with the 1/3rd cap everyone has. The design goal was the more you fight, the more inner fire pool you build up, allowing you to use more abilities - not necessarily cyclics. Right now that is all you have so folks throw up another cyclic or two and you drain right back down.

Some tweaking may yet need to be done, but it would appear entirely possible to fill up the IF bar if you hold off on using that one extra cyclic at the beginning of combat.

The system works sorta like like Thief concentration does. The more Khri you use, the lower your concentration goes AND the smaller the pool gets.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/29/2013 11:00 AM CDT

So within 1 fight, before the target is killed or beaten, we gain IF as we swing and battle?
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/30/2013 02:10 AM CDT
You still passively regen while in combat, and the drain for having excess IF is greatly reduced while in combat.

Killing enemies awards IF based on how recently you have made a kill. So if you kill 2 enemies a minute, you'll earn about the same IF-over-time as if you killed 5 enemies a minute. I did this to reduce the need for folks to kill as fast as humanly possible to use their abilities, and to not bonus too much for underhunting. You can hunt how YOU want to hunt, and still be assured you are earning optimal IF.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/30/2013 11:38 AM CDT

Right so the system is fine for PVE but in duels its 1 v 1 and in tourneys you may not get the kill shots at all. This is part of the issue, I feel we need a system that lends itself to all parts of the game, not just hunting and PVE. I for one love to RP and do much of the IC tourneys and games, fighting necromancers and evil characters, this is where I see a small issue. Maybe the problem evens itself out later on when people reach max level, but for someone at my level who has been doing a lot of testing in addition to duels/IC-PVP/Tourneys I notice I have to run to places and kill stuff to get my IF back or I end up with significantly more downtime than the other guilds/people i'm fighting.
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/30/2013 11:43 AM CDT
Sure, but you were always penalized in PvP type scenarios. It is a tradeoff between having mostly instant-on abilities (something mages do not have) and being able to reach 100% effectiveness in a PvP fight. Barbarians have a skillset advantage over the rest of the game and are only Supernatural Tert - so some disadvantages exist.

I'd rather give you maneuvers that refill a portion of your IF with a long cooldown. So if you enter a PvP you can use these 2 or 3 moves and fill up your IF pool. It won't work for back-to-back fights, and in PvE it would be better to save them for use as an emergency reseve or alpha-strike.

Another option would be to have "hits" in PvP count as kills in PvE.

Any thoughts on these two options?

Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/30/2013 12:00 PM CDT
I like both options personally, I mean I can see some really cool stuff being done with a cool maneuver that refills IF or helps with it. But then having hits count in a way similar to kills do for IF seems like it would be more "solid" and dependable. Both offer great options and was the reason for the post to get the ideas flowing. I would be interested in seeing what some of the big dogs think.
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/30/2013 01:24 PM CDT
I still think that chakrel carving is the answer. Once we get the ability to carve higher level chakrel, we can drape ourselves in chakrel like mages wear cambrith and meditate away on it.

Hopefully meditating on chakrel for restoring Inner Fire will be the same as meditate power and not require us to sit down.

______
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/30/2013 01:45 PM CDT
Maybe IF regen shouldn't even be attached to kills, but attached to doing damage?

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/30/2013 02:16 PM CDT
I like it Codiax.

______
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/30/2013 02:20 PM CDT

That could work, or some kind of blend of 2 of the ideas. Have some ability or item that gives us a pulse of IF back but also when he strike we regenerate some amount. I feel if we have an item or ability that gives us some back it could work when needed but maybe we have to go and focus on it outside of combat before we can use it again, that in addition to having hits give us some back would be a cool balance of the ideas. Maybe have some kind of entry level item that can be sold at the barb guild to give us a smaller amount back, but better items made/sold that do more.
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/30/2013 03:36 PM CDT
>I still think that chakrel carving is the answer. Once we get the ability to carve higher level chakrel, we can drape ourselves in chakrel like mages wear cambrith and meditate away on it.

I dislike this idea in the extreme. In my opinion, self-reliance is what sets us aside from the mages and draping ourselves in items required to make our abilities competitive is not something I like.

One item to a small boost is okay, but multiple items just seems... wrong.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/30/2013 03:49 PM CDT

I think it's a great opportunity to make some really cool custom weapons for the guild. Weapons are what we do, we don't get holy weapons or anything like that, the idea of being able to invest in a custom weapon that we can build on ( almost like a necro building a risen )would be sweet. It could open the door later on for us doing more with some kind of custom weapon system/design. I have a sick Glaes great sword that Squanto forged for me I could see me adding some sweet chakrel into, or this amazing Sterak axe Codiax forged me for a great price that I would not mind having some work done too, maybe even my Shh'oi crossbow..tons of option that would be cool if it worked in conjunction with some tweaks to the system so we could build back IF as we hit out targets.
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/30/2013 05:17 PM CDT
Possibly IF being regened by destroying magic such as runes scrolls and such. Also perhaps a form or berserk that while dancing it allows us to absorb a portion of the magic cast at us and convert that to IF.

rub other gweth
[Assuming you mean the Barbarian Guildleader Les.]
You rub your jadeite gwethdesuan.
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/30/2013 07:41 PM CDT
>Also perhaps a form or berserk that while dancing it allows us to absorb a portion of the magic cast at us and convert that to IF.

Oh hells no. I emphatically disagree with this. The only interaction between magic and IF should be destructive.

Weapons for Sale:
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/30/2013 08:03 PM CDT
<<another option would be to have "hits" in PvP count as kills in PvE>>

Perfect idea.
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 06/30/2013 09:19 PM CDT
>Oh hells no. I emphatically disagree with this. The only interaction between magic and IF should be destructive.

What about a berserk or form which, every time we got hit with magic, introduced some stacking benefit/penalty? Like a 'frothing rage' or something. Mage spams snap-casts at you? You peak out on anger and devour his sole.

Yes. His shoe. You're berserk!

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 07/01/2013 08:09 AM CDT
>What about a berserk or form which, every time we got hit with magic, introduced some stacking benefit/penalty? Like a 'frothing rage' or something. Mage spams snap-casts at you? You peak out on anger and devour his sole.

The problem I see with this is I absolutely know that it will result in people asking people to cast on them for the benefit./

Unless the bonus is only against the one casting on you, I'd still be against it.

Weapons for Sale:
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 07/01/2013 09:09 AM CDT
Good point. Need to avoid stupid things like that.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 07/03/2013 12:05 PM CDT
"Another option would be to have "hits" in PvP count as kills in PvE. "

This would be awesome if it didn't require the use of the combo system. I like this idea a lot.

Just curious, are you saying each 'contact' would be worth (using an example) 1/15th (or whatever) IF regen as a kill would? Or do you mean more along the lines of an ability that can be used every minute or whatever?

Don't make accounts while under the influence - it may lead to ridiculous spelling errors.
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 07/04/2013 07:10 AM CDT
I wouldn't mind a warding ability that couples well with berserks, whereby each time a spell is casted on us, it fuels the rage of the berserks more, allowing them to last longer, perhaps consuming less IF from the berserks. Or make it one berserk fueled by the rage of warding spells. Give it a few points cost and allow it to be a decent ward, along with a couple other beneficial properties. Allow the warding ability to grow with each spell cast upon the target.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: IF Regen outside of hunting. 07/04/2013 02:12 PM CDT
Very nice IDEA!

______