Adjustment to IF Gain from Kills 02/20/2013 07:13 PM CST
Howdy folks. Small quality of life improvement here. ALL kills now award some inner fire. 100% of this inner fire is awarded if the kills are exactly 120 seconds apart. If they occur closer, the IF awarded will be determined by the % of time elapsed. This should negate any and all advantages or penalties from killing too fastly or two slowly.

2 minutes is a pretty reasonable time for folks to be killing things in and even if you end up killing a little slower, you'll still be getting most of the IF possible.

Please be on the lookout for bugs. Each change increases the complexity of what is going on behind the scenes a good bit...

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Adjustment to IF Gain from Kills 02/20/2013 08:29 PM CST
Another update...

IF regen/leak pulses now occur every 20 seconds (versus something like 2 minutes before). This should help alleviate problems with abilities dropping due to pulsing taking so long to occur. It will also help you see the fight of regen vs drain with a bit more resolution.

Regeneration speed was increased 10%, so 0 to full should take just under 7 minutes now.

I also misspoke when I said leakage stops when in combat. Leakage stops for 2 minutes after your last kill in combat. I'd like to slow it down a bit if just dancing in combat, but that is even more complexity and I'd rather focus on Expertise/Maneuvers at this point..

Anyhow, let me know what you think.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Adjustment to IF Gain from Kills 02/20/2013 08:53 PM CST
Kodius, I am having a much tougher time with IF now. This is with constant gryphon killing:

You are currently practicing the Bear Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are currently practicing the Buffalo Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are currently practicing the Swan Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
>>>>
|

You feel a jolt as your vision snaps shut.
R>

While hunting intercessors, everything abruptly dropped about 1/3 of the time in compared to usual.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Adjustment to IF Gain from Kills 02/20/2013 08:55 PM CST
Kodius -

Were there any other changes to our stuff, such as the upkeep cost of forms? Obviously I've only had time to glance at the changes and perhaps it's a bug, but the practical result is that I seem to have been nerfed. Before I could keep up three basic/intro forms indefinitely, now the inner fire drain is too much and they end up falling after a few minutes.
Re: Adjustment to IF Gain from Kills 02/20/2013 08:55 PM CST
Yeah sorry to say I am getting the same results, I usually run dragon, eagle, wildfire and avalanche but can't keep those 4 up anymore.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Adjustment to IF Gain from Kills 02/20/2013 08:56 PM CST
>>Squanto/Codiax

Okay, so it's not just me. Inner fire is harder to use now, which is strange given regeneration was increased.
Re: Adjustment to IF Gain from Kills 02/20/2013 08:57 PM CST
Same result here... The cost of keeping Swan and Bear outside of combat had my IF almost tanked, which never happened before, and my passive regen out of combat appears to be moving much slower now.

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: Adjustment to IF Gain from Kills 02/20/2013 08:58 PM CST
Heh, forgot to update the rate as well as the smaller pulse sizes. Should be fixed.

Re: Adjustment to IF Gain from Kills 02/20/2013 09:04 PM CST
Ah, thanks Kodius. Regen is feeling good again. Will have to head back to the hunting grounds and test out the IF award from killing.

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: Adjustment to IF Gain from Kills 02/20/2013 09:09 PM CST
Okay, I'm having an easier time getting above my passive regen mark in combat after this latest change. Feels pretty good, I'm noticing more tangible benefit for my kills, and I imagine this will make berserks a bit more manageable. Thanks for the changes Kodius, I'll play around with it more tonight.
Re: Adjustment to IF Gain from Kills 02/20/2013 09:11 PM CST
I think my results are slightly poorer in Plat on a small Barb (17th), as well. It's not by much, though, so it might only be no change. Before I was able to run Monkey and Swan until Aug/Warding reached 11/34, then they both dropped due to lack of IF. They now reach 9/34 before dropping. Got the same result twice now so far, though.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Adjustment to IF Gain from Kills 02/20/2013 09:25 PM CST
With constant throwing kills in intercessors in the past, I could slowly build IF past the passive regen cap. Now...

You are currently practicing the Piranha Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are currently practicing the Buffalo Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are currently practicing the Bear Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
You are currently practicing the Monkey Form and will hold focus of it for a very long time.
The Tenacity meditation is still burned into your mind.
The Contemplation meditation is still burned into your mind.
> > > > > > > > > > > > | - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You feel a jolt as your vision snaps shut.

That seems to be about the best I can do. How are we going to fill IF to 100% with this concept? Even in gryphons after the adjustment, I was having the same issue.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Adjustment to IF Gain from Kills 02/20/2013 09:34 PM CST
Any chance on reconsidering this concept?

>>2 minutes is a pretty reasonable time for folks to be killing things in and even if you end up killing a little slower, you'll still be getting most of the IF possible.

I'm not sure I understand why you would not provide more benefits for killing faster? From what I can tell there are only 2-3 weapons that even come close to 2 minutes per kill, and they are under that. Is it so that less-experienced players can still maintain? Or is it to encourage overhunting harder critters that take longer to kill?

I would be fine with completely changing the concept to a damage model, where you gain IF for doing damage vs kill shots, then put a cap on IF on that with a timer.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Adjustment to IF Gain from Kills 02/20/2013 09:44 PM CST
> I'm not sure I understand why you would not provide more benefits for killing faster?

It seems like the math is balanced for "when you're in combat, you generate IF at X rate". This is then implemented such that everyone who gets at least 1 kill every 2 minutes generates at X rate. It's less the act of killing, and more the state of being a killer.
Re: Adjustment to IF Gain from Kills 02/20/2013 09:51 PM CST
>>It seems like the math is balanced for "when you're in combat, you generate IF at X rate". This is then implemented such that everyone who gets at least 1 kill every 2 minutes generates at X rate. It's less the act of killing, and more the state of being a killer.

Yeah that definately makes sense and more easily balanced I guess. I think I just like the concept of if you put in more effort, whether character or player, you get more IF. Like learning how to do things more efficiently, for example matching the correct type of weapon damage against the defenses of your opponent. Stuff that is a player's choice vs a program dictating exactly how it's done for everyone.

Expertise sounds like it will do some of this.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Adjustment to IF Gain from Kills 02/20/2013 10:05 PM CST
These changes are only in Prime. I tend to sync on Thursday evenings in case I really screw something up.

Re: Adjustment to IF Gain from Kills 02/20/2013 10:18 PM CST
>>These changes are only in Prime. I tend to sync on Thursday evenings in case I really screw something up.

Sorry K. Didn't mean to rush you. Certainly explains why I'm seeing virtually no change good or bad though. Good to know for future changes though.

~The Prydaen~
PvP Tourneys IF and You 02/21/2013 09:00 AM CST
Any chance we can get something that can be placed before a PvP tourney to charge up our fire?

I don't want to have to roll up ten sacrificial noob s'kras to slaughter before every match. Ok so I kinda want to do this, but that is not the point.

I wish there was a mechanical way to charge up fire before a match, that wouldn't lead to some sort of IF abuse in other aspects of the game.

- Buuwl
Re: PvP Tourneys IF and You 02/21/2013 09:51 AM CST
As long as we're going down this path, wouldn't it be easier just to make a room in the Arena that raised, healed, refreshed mana, refreshed inner fire, etc?

To keep it from being abused during tournies it would announce to the whole arena "Diggan has enter the healing hot spring!" or something like that.

Then everyone would be full capped, recharged and on the same level before starting a spar.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: PvP Tourneys IF and You 02/21/2013 09:53 AM CST
<<<As long as we're going down this path,>>

And that is why its a slippery slope, I don't know how this can be addressed.

- Buuwl
Re: PvP Tourneys IF and You 02/21/2013 10:42 AM CST
>>I don't know how this can be addressed

Well, we know that there is a healme command in test. It creates an effect of some sort.

I don't know why that effect couldn't be copied to a statue or something and "lick statue" would apply that effect.

adjust it to stoke inner fire, and bam, we're there.

I guess the issue with this is that on Monday nights when the portal is open, it could be abused. The rest of the time the portal is closed anyway.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: PvP Tourneys IF and You 02/22/2013 04:50 PM CST
I see this issue as gimping barbarians right at the start of a character conflict and is really not right.

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.