Chit Chat 01/20/2010 03:53 PM CST
So with Inner Fire becoming a skill I think we will see a lot more people zerking/dancing unnecessarilly. So rather then activating an ability based on need you will simply do it just to keep it "at level" so when you do need it, it will help.
Re: Chit Chat 01/20/2010 05:09 PM CST
If they teach out of combat, you can bet I'll be wandering around roaring, dancing, zerking, meditating, whenever I'm able. There'd be no reason not to.
Re: Chit Chat 01/20/2010 05:38 PM CST
I just wanted to clarify a few points -

Active combat abiliites like roars and special attacks will require a target in order to teach, with the level of success affecting how well they teach. Berserks are also likely to teach best in combat. Forms and meditations are not necessarily combat-oriented, and will be good ways to train while doing everyday things. Abilities will have fixed durations, inner fire (and perhaps other) costs, and some will have down timers as a balance to prevent leaving an ability on continously to learn. This also means that for a given rank there can be multiple "good ways" to train efficiently.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Chit Chat 01/20/2010 05:40 PM CST
When you say "inner fire" do you mean the system which is in place now? Or the new system which we will have to actively train?

In any case, can you expound more on the new skill which will be called "Inner Fire" or "Meditation?"
Re: Chit Chat 01/20/2010 08:09 PM CST
Having one term, "Inner Fire", to reference both the fuel that fires barbarian abilities and the supernatural skill used to determine ability effectiveness is confusing. Until we can decide upon a better syntax, I will be sure to specify which I am talking about.

We would like the skillset release to coincide with the release the barbarian ability rewrite, so we do not have to worry about scenarios such as - "how will dragon dance be affected by this new skill, when dragon dance already needs reworking?"

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Chit Chat 01/20/2010 09:17 PM CST
>>We would like the skillset release to coincide with the release the barbarian ability rewrite, so we do not have to worry about scenarios such as - "how will dragon dance be affected by this new skill, when dragon dance already needs reworking?"

I'm with ya 100% of the way.

Any ETA on all this stuff? With as much as it sounds, I want to say 2012 but with Z and the rest of you guys I wouldn't be shocked if it didn't take nearly as long. I'm guessing... end of the year?

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Chit Chat 01/23/2010 11:47 AM CST
What concerns me about this change is that I don't like berserking. In fact, I hate it. I hate the drawbacks of it. I want to be sure that training these new skills sufficiently will not require me to berserk.

If I can't get to a satisfactory level of field experience without the use of berserks, then my choices will be limited.

I happen to like having a choice to use only dances, only berserks, or a combination of both. Please don't take that choice away from me.

-Gavyn
Re: Chit Chat 01/23/2010 01:27 PM CST
The scenario you describe is unlikely to occur in the new system. Keep in mind I am referring only to training. Berserks may offer abilities not covered elsewhere, and nothing says all berserks must carry the same restrictions found in the current system.

Re: Chit Chat 01/23/2010 02:37 PM CST
Without the restrictions, berserks would be fine. Currently they just bring too many to use normally. Especially the one that will probably kill you if you use it.
Re: Chit Chat 01/23/2010 05:43 PM CST
I personally love my berserks thus far. I am going to try out Badger in combat soon. But I will never use the ones that have a chance to kill me.
Re: Chit Chat 02/15/2011 04:15 PM CST
Just came back from the game after a year gone, so trying to get caught up. So if this has been covered, I am sorry.

One of the reasons I play a barb is the simplicity. Go out to the fields and kill em, hack, slash, and if you want dance, roar and/or 'zerk.

I have tried to play mages and dislike having to constantly cast spells to gain experience, rubbing and charging object, power walking., and other such "magic related" tasks.

Is this making sense, will I have to play my barb as a MU?
Re: Chit Chat 02/15/2011 04:17 PM CST
>will I have to play my barb as a MU?

Nope.

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance Sheet:
http://angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance2.xls
Re: Chit Chat 02/15/2011 04:24 PM CST
oh god no.
Re: Chit Chat 02/15/2011 04:40 PM CST
>Is this making sense, will I have to play my barb as a MU?

>Nope.

No one wants this, but I'm going to ask anyway; wouldn't the arguable answer be yes?

Since some (all?) abilities are going to be based on skills in the supernatural skillset, rather than the non-skill based systems in place now.

Barbs won't be powerwalking, or scripting MD, but they will need to use skills to activate abilities, much like mages need to use skills to cast spells. Inner fire is an interesting compare to mana.
Re: Chit Chat 02/15/2011 05:13 PM CST
>No one wants this, but I'm going to ask anyway; wouldn't the arguable answer be yes?

I disagree, for many reasons:

1) Abilities won't depend on location or time, only person.
2) Abilities will be (primarily?) non-variable, they always "prep" at the same power.
3) The theme of our abilities is much difference (more power, less control and information)
4) Multiple ability activations and "ramp up" time

For all of these reasons, I feel we're still completely different than MUs.

See http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Barbarian_3.0 for more details.

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance Sheet:
http://angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance2.xls
Re: Chit Chat 02/15/2011 05:55 PM CST
>Is this making sense, will I have to play my barb as a MU?

Yes, and it pains me greatly to say so.

In the new system, all of our abilities are skill-based. Like any other system that utilizes skills rather than circles or stats, you will need to build the skill up to to achieve full effectiveness of our abilities. Using a roar, dance or berserk every X seconds to train augmentation, debilitation, etc., is not much different than casting spells to train PM/HA.
This will also mean that you will use abilities in more situations that you may not today because you are driven solely by skill gain rather than actual utility.
Re: Chit Chat 02/15/2011 08:25 PM CST
>>constantly cast spells to gain experience, rubbing and charging object, power walking., and other such "magic related" tasks.

Barbarians will have no analogue to power walking.

Barbarians will have no items requiring rubbing and charging. Existing Barbarian items will still be interacted with in similar ways.

Many abilities will pulse experience over time and encourage seeing an effect through to the end. This discourages spamming for the purpose of learning.

You will need to use abilities to get better at using them. Those are the fundamentals upon which DR exists, and for many years Barbarians were in violation of this rule. Not sure if following the rules really makes the Guild more mage-like... but the need for a well-balanced system that offered more options for character development won out in this case :P

Re: Chit Chat 02/16/2011 04:41 AM CST
Thanks all.

I have no problems with our abilities being skill based, in fact I kind of like that. But at the same time, I just had this thought of barbs sitting in the gathering places spamming their meditations or such as we get MUs doing with their spells.
Re: Chit Chat 02/16/2011 09:58 AM CST
well if I understand things correctly, training inner fire will be pretty much like just do what you'd normally do, but with forms or meditations going. Going to hunt, use forms or serks. Popping boxes...forms or meditations....Climbing/swimming...forms and or meditations. The forms and meditations will last a considerably long time, and with their being stackable it will be pretty easy to have them up and running almost all the time to some degree so learnig inner fire won't be anywhere near as bad as (Prep XXX, charge camb, focus camb, harn XX, cast, rince repeat). Basically you'll be able to learn inner fire doing everything you would normally do anyway.
Re: Chit Chat 02/16/2011 04:43 PM CST
Just remember that Armifer believes we're not people (NMUs, so remember that like the Texans Remembered the Alamo in a fight).

Re: Chit Chat 02/16/2011 04:48 PM CST
>>Just remember that Armifer believes we're not people (NMUs, so remember that like the Texans Remembered the Alamo in a fight).

I'm willing to concede that NMUs might serve in some menial labor roles in the glorious magocracy. Citizenship is right out, though.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Chit Chat 02/17/2011 11:10 AM CST
>>I'm willing to concede that NMUs might serve in some menial labor roles in the glorious magocracy. Citizenship is right out, though.

Someone has not read Codex Alera.
Re: Chit Chat 02/17/2011 12:14 PM CST
> Someone has not read Codex Alera.

You can't do a Juris Macto without magic.
Re: Chit Chat 02/17/2011 12:53 PM CST
>>You can't do a Juris Macto without magic.

...sure about that?
Re: Chit Chat 02/17/2011 07:40 PM CST
Actually you can.

Oderint Dum Metuant
Re: Chit Chat 02/17/2011 10:13 PM CST
Yes, it's a trial by combat. Literally "justice fight." It's actually a historical method of settling disputes used by the Roman legions, including Legio IX Hispania (the Lost Legion).

You do not need magic, as it were, to fight in one since there was a time when the Legio IX didn't have magic.
Re: Chit Chat 02/17/2011 10:27 PM CST
> there was a time when the Legio IX didn't have magic.

A ridiculous theory. Clearly it's impossible for civilization to develop without furycrafting.
Re: Chit Chat 02/18/2011 08:16 AM CST
>>I just had this thought of barbs sitting in the gathering places spamming their meditations or such as we get MUs doing with their spells.

::snaps whip::
What are you doing outside of combat?
Re: Chit Chat 02/18/2011 05:49 PM CST
Enjoying my loot and plunder. What's the point of stealing your women if we can't enjoy them!

Oderint Dum Metuant