Inner Fire 01/03/2007 08:55 AM CST
Crosspost from Complaints folder..

Inner Fire is a Barbarian's warrior spirit, their confidence, their battle-readiness, their reliance on their own inner strength and abilities. Inner Fire is responsible for much of what makes BMR but Inner Fire is not defined by, or limited to, interaction with magic. Things which are contrary to reliance on self, confidence, battle readiness, and warrior spirit can lead to a loss of inner fire. Magic is a very prominent thing which falls into the category of not relying upon one's own self, because it is dependent upon the outside force of mana - be it the moons, elemental mana, or other such things. Thus some refer to magic as a "crutch" - something outside yourself that one relies upon for support.
Inner fire is quite easily regained, it returns naturally over time, and quite easily while hunting. The decrease in inner fire for FLEEing, has nothing to do with the imposition of morals on how to fight. It has to do with how the act of FLEEing affects a Barbarians warrior spirit, their confidence, their battle-readiness. The soul hit paladins suffer may have to do with some moral compass, but has nothing to do with IF decrease. Because of the prominent position that magic related things have had with respect to IF 'hits', confusion about this could be understandable.
You are by no means foreclosed from using FLEE, in fact, if one uses FLEE, what do they care about having less IF if they get out of combat?

GameMaster Niamah
Barbarian Liaison
Re: Inner Fire 01/03/2007 11:35 AM CST
Bravo.
Re: Inner Fire 01/03/2007 04:01 PM CST
Oh, that's where you were.

Magic's Death Caraamon M.,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Inner Fire 06/28/2007 07:38 PM CDT
>flee

You sense a decrease in the level of your inner fire.
You suddenly realize that you may be completely outclassed in this match. You turn tail to make your escape!

Ooops... I take it fleeing isn't good for a barb. Just how "bad" is this?
Re: Inner Fire 06/28/2007 08:00 PM CDT
My inner fire went from "Surrounding your reflection is a brilliant aura of pristine quality burning outward at twice your height." (full) to "Surrounding your reflection is a brilliant aura of beautiful flames extending a little more than one and half times your height above your body." (still good enough that you'll just have a fatigue loss from a berserk ending) when I fled from four creatures just now.
Re: Inner Fire 06/28/2007 08:03 PM CDT
How do you check inner fire?
Re: Inner Fire 06/28/2007 09:08 PM CDT
Meditate on a flame.

< You clamp your teeth on an arbelog's abdomen gnashing it with painful bites that cuts deeply into its groin.
An arbelog is moderately stunned!
An arbelog hisses out a whispered curse as it stumbles, falls, then dies.
[You're very badly balanced]
Re: Inner Fire 06/28/2007 10:33 PM CDT
If you don't want to sit and wait for your inner fire to regenerate the normal way, you could try killing critters- preferably those that are at level.

Ryeka and the brood

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Inner Fire 06/28/2007 10:47 PM CDT
>> If you don't want to sit and wait for your inner fire to regenerate the normal way, you could try killing critters- preferably those that are at level.

I think that should come easy for a barbarian. ;)
Re: Inner Fire 06/29/2007 01:19 AM CDT
Yeah, if you want to train escaping, you can pretty much do it without any problems IF-wise, since the timer on learning from FLEE is something like 5 minutes and you should be able to whack enough monsters to be up to full fire by then.
Negative Inner Fire 11/08/2007 09:26 AM CST
Just a few questions for anyone (hopefully GMs) that can answer.

Last night I got into a spar and had a Cleric cast a spell several times which wiped my IF into the negatives. It took literally an hour, a full hour (even after running to goblins and using 15 ranks in a weapon to try to help recover) before getting back to full IF again.

Is it supposed to be like that? Not complaining, just wondering if that's how it's meant to be.

What if said Cleric spammed the attack twice as much? Would it have taken me 2 hours to recover? Is there a cap on the amount of inner fire lost that goes into the negatives?

If needed, I'll post the log of the spell he casted when I get home later.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Negative Inner Fire 11/08/2007 11:06 AM CST
Inner fire isn't kept track of on a normal scale of 0-whatever. When we're at full inner fire, we're at 0, and it goes down from there. So yeah, it can get tanked far beyond what our meditation shows as no inner fire.

Auroch clamps his fist around your forearm and hauls you over for a merciless Barbarian greeting. Stifling a grimace, you wonder if you'll ever wield a weapon again.
Re: Negative Inner Fire 11/08/2007 11:07 AM CST
Incidentally, that's also why the inner fire pool doesn't increase with circle.

Auroch clamps his fist around your forearm and hauls you over for a merciless Barbarian greeting. Stifling a grimace, you wonder if you'll ever wield a weapon again.
Re: Negative Inner Fire 11/08/2007 11:10 AM CST
Ahh, I see.

I really want to know if there's a cap on the bottom end. It would suck if someone could just spam cast and drop your IF so low that it takes 5+ hours to recover.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Negative Inner Fire 11/08/2007 11:13 AM CST
I've heard of people getting their inner fire tanked so bad that they had to assist to get it fixed after they were still sitting at <0 after 4-5 hours.

Re: Negative Inner Fire 11/08/2007 11:32 AM CST
What? Where are you getting this information?

-Galren Moonskin

Tusfaov calmly says, "Excellent. The inner fire burns bright within your chest, Galren. You have achieved a new level of enlightenment."
!>You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.
Re: Negative Inner Fire 11/08/2007 11:40 AM CST
Just paraphrasing an explanation from one of the GMs shortly after the magic/magic resistance rewrite. I haven't seen that there's been an update to inner fire since then, so I'd assume it still applies.

Re: Negative Inner Fire 11/08/2007 11:46 AM CST
I want to say I recall Skiori and I putting a cap to the lower end in, but... I'll have to dig to be sure. Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer ;)

GM Jaedren
Re: Negative Inner Fire 11/08/2007 01:42 PM CST
Very interesting.

-Galren Moonskin

Tusfaov calmly says, "Excellent. The inner fire burns bright within your chest, Galren. You have achieved a new level of enlightenment."
!>You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.
Re: Negative Inner Fire 11/26/2007 04:54 PM CST
>>I want to say I recall Skiori and I putting a cap to the lower end in, but... I'll have to dig to be sure. Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer ;)

LOL, I still remember that assist after Tenion shadowebbed a huge crowd of people. :(

I am --- Navak
More Problems with Inner Fire 03/23/2008 01:27 AM CDT
I logged in tonight to visit an invasion. Full IF.

I dance bear for a minute while crossing the river then stop the dance.

A few minutes later I try to berserk nightmare and don't have enough IF.

5-10 minutes after that I try to berserk blood and don't have enough IF.

I die a bit later, after killing things that teach me weapons but still did nothing to gain IF to measurable levels, get raised and now my IF is still not in a measurable range 10-15 minutes later.

I am --- Navak
Re: More Problems with Inner Fire 03/23/2008 01:46 AM CDT
After 25 minutes of killing nightstalkers and learning weapons...it just hit the lowest stage. At 20 minutes it was still below measurable.

I am --- Navak
Re: More Problems with Inner Fire 06/13/2008 09:12 PM CDT
So, IF doesn't increase with circle and can get tanked to a massive degree below what is effectively 0.

High-level berserks and abilities are having problems because they require way too much IF, even for high-circle barbarians.

Am I getting this right?

...Flip IF. Make it more like concentration, with a top cap and zero as the bottom cap, based on stats and circle. I'm not sure how easy this is, but it seems like a logical solution. Modify the IF drain/cost of abilities as needed, of course, but make things past dragon dance and flame berserk more useful!

Disclaimer: This is going mostly by things I've read on the forums, as I have yet to get my barb to a high enough circle to experience these things firsthand. If I'm wrong, and no one's having any problems with these things anymore, please let me know.

---
Remember, half the people you know are below average.

Also remember -- if the world didn't suck, we would all fall off.
Re: More Problems with Inner Fire 12/24/2008 01:57 AM CST
This is very odd. I remember having this issue, but it was years ago when I had spells tank IF to the point where it took me an incredibly long time (more so than usual) to get it back to the lowest point. Might want to try logging out and logging back in to see if that helps it out.

I'm curious to see what ideas are brought forward for the inner fire re-write.