Thoughts.... 12/27/2006 11:31 PM CST
I've been thinking about certain things, and I'd like to know other people's thoughts on the matter.

How much of the idea of "Inner Fire" is metaphore and how much is literal?

Origionally, my first thought was it's nothing but metaphore, because the idea of literal flame burning in someone seemed rediculous. Then it occurred to me that I was trying to apply logic to a world full of magic, gods, and metaphysics. So now I don't know.

So the facts I looked at was the fact that we can only see it in fire or fire-like chakrel, which could be affecting the way we view it. But then I wondered which is cause and which is effect. Do we see it as fire because we look for it in fire, or can we only see it in fire because its is much like fire.

See why I have a headache now?

Oh, and I have a nagging suspicion I'm spelling metaphore wrong. It's been one of those nights.

Magic's Death Caraamon M.,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Thoughts.... 12/27/2006 11:45 PM CST
Metaphor.

<<I've been thinking about certain things, and I'd like to know other people's thoughts on the matter.>>

Ok, so you want people's opinions. I believe that you are thinking about this too much in a fantasy type of game. With that said, it can be either, in my opinion.

I personally believe that inner fire is more of something within you. All the things you consider traits that are from within is inner fire. Emotions such as hatred, rage, calmness, love, passion and more 1st person point of view traits. Any guild has these things, but not to the focused nature that the Barbarian guild uses them for the primary intent of using them on the battlefield.

The idea of looking into a fire's essence or a chakrel stone of some sort is to look within yourself. The power comes from within. This is VERY different from other guilds, mainly magic guilds. As their power comes from the flows of the mana streams surrounding flowing around them. Magic using guilds are corrupted in their ideology of the world around them by accepting mana and so their 1st person point of view traits are not heightened like a Barbarian focuses on.

<<See why I have a headache now?>>

<chuckle>

- Simon

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/geek+gaming/-/pv_design_details/pg_14/id_14016668/opt_/fpt_/c_360/

"Do you have a World of Warcraft account?"
"No, I have a life!" (SP, episode 8, season 10)

"Heh" - Everyone
Re: Thoughts.... 12/28/2006 12:21 AM CST
It seems we agree on a lot of things. If "Inner Fire" is just a collections of emotions, that would somewhat explain why killing restores them. But I pose to you a question then. Why would these emotions have any effect on resisting magic? If true, shouldn't the Calm spell totally tank our fire?

To be honest, while I know there is a relatively comprehensive set of magic theory, I suspect the Inner Fire/Resistance/Meditation/Dance theory is not so complete.

Half of me hopes I'm wrong, so the GMs have a framework. The other half hopes I'm right, because maybe I can help shape it.

Either way, its hurting my head.

Re: Thoughts.... 12/28/2006 12:54 AM CST
It isn't JUST emotions. It's anything that you can think of from a first person type of trait all combined together.

<<Why would these emotions have any effect on resisting magic?>>

Because as a culture that guildmembers take from this profession, they are told that magic corrupts them (and it's true, it tanks inner fire completely if you learn magic) and so they resist the flows of magic. Although, you can still regain your inner fire, which is the broken part of magic learning skills and inner fire which seems will be updated with the concept of Barbarians with knowledge of magic will have lesser magical resistance than full inner fire.

A Barbarian resists the flows of mana around them inherently because their is something within the focused nature of inner fire that a Barbarian has mastered. This type of Chi resists mana flow and the target matrix caused by certain spells. It is an worldly ideology that every Barbarian was taught when they joined to abstain from mana as it corrupts the pure focus of everything that revolves around inner fire. It's not a choice where the Barbarian goes, "OK, I'll take mana for $400 Alex. (OH, IT'S A DAILY DOUBLE!)" The Barbarian cannot tell which mana is around him because he cannot perceive the mana flows.

<<If true, shouldn't the Calm spell totally tank our fire?>>

It is a spell and as such, follows the nature of mana flow. The comphrensive essence of inner fire disrupts the mana flow around the Barbarian.

Again, these are just my thoughts as to the subject because you asked for opinions.

- Simon

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/geek+gaming/-/pv_design_details/pg_14/id_14016668/opt_/fpt_/c_360/

"Heh" - Everyone
Re: Thoughts.... 12/28/2006 01:09 AM CST
>><<If true, shouldn't the Calm spell totally tank our fire?>>

Not really. IF itself is not intrinsically dependent upon a certain emotion, least of all rage. We can see this because IF fuels not only berserks but dances as well, and dances are a very serene, focused state of mind.

The power of IF itself is not dependent upon certain emotions. The power of IF is dependent upon the Barbarian's ability to focus upon these emotions. IF regeneration is based upon Concentration, as an example.

The vehicles that IF powers are emotion-dependent, berserks on rage and dances on serenity. IF itself is dependent upon a sort of martial focus. At least, that's how I look at it.

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance.
-Aesop
Re: Thoughts.... 12/28/2006 01:17 AM CST
Dances are not all about serenity. Look at Dragon dance's messaging.

- Simon

"Heh" - Everyone
Re: Thoughts.... 12/28/2006 01:34 AM CST
>>Dances are not all about serenity. Look at Dragon dance's messaging.

I'll avoid arguments about semantics. I think you understood the overall point. IF encompasses the entire spectrum of emotion.

-Aesop
Re: Thoughts.... 12/28/2006 05:46 AM CST
When you are writing "serenity", I believe you mean a sense of calmness because that would be the contrast of rage. This is the point you were trying to make, right?

My response to your opinion was that dragon dance does not depict serenity. The messaging does not depict serenity. I believe GM Damissak had even mentioned along the lines that dragon dance is close to rage as dances go.

- Simon

"Heh" - Everyone
Re: Thoughts.... 12/28/2006 06:00 AM CST
>>My response to your opinion was that dragon dance does not depict serenity. The messaging does not depict serenity. I believe GM Damissak had even mentioned along the lines that dragon dance is close to rage as dances go.

I'll agree serenity is a pretty poor moniker for Dragon Dance. I meant in more in a martial sense of being focused and intricately aware of both self and enviroment, rather then being filled with a sort of subtle calmness.

The main point was that berserks are a manifestation of rage, dances of calmness and grace, tenacity, power, motion, alertness or what have you. It seems to me, then, that IF gives power to our emotions, not that it is determined by them or dependent on them.

-Aesop
Re: Thoughts.... 12/28/2006 06:24 AM CST
That sounds about right to me.

- Simon

"Heh" - Everyone
Re: Thoughts.... 12/28/2006 07:05 PM CST
Interesting points, I'm enjoying this. But I have yet to see how these would interact with magic in the way we know Inner Fire does.

Hehehe, round 2!

Re: Thoughts.... 12/29/2006 02:37 AM CST
>>Interesting points, I'm enjoying this. But I have yet to see how these would interact with magic in the way we know Inner Fire does.

Part of the answer is magic theory. Being NMUs, Barbarians are naturally more resistant to the unnatural manipulation of mana then those who manipulate it willingly. I'd say that constitutes half the answer.

The other half, why/what IF is and why it is inverse to magic (defeats magic, if magic defeats it then there is an IF hit) is really where the question arises.

For my character at least, it's supposed to represent the willpower to make a conscious decision on self-reliance. Malkien (my Barb) is Kaldar, and the Gorbesh tend to naturally shun magic, so part of it is cultural. I imagine him the inquisitive sort, though, and play him as though he had studied magic as in-depth as possible as he could (from a distance, haha), watching demonstrations and hearing lectures and reading literature till he had an itnricate understanding of it. And then he witnessed a Moon Mages with no moons, or an invasion of hierophants that completely drain everyone's mana pool, and voila, a Barb was born.

IF is thus, to me, is supposed to represent the conscious resistance to the flows of mana. I don't imagine it like casting ES and blocking elemental mana, I just imagine it as knowing that a tingling on your skin indicates a targetting matrix has been formed, and then steeling yourself to try and resist the rush of mana. That sort of stuff. Since I imagine IF as partially a conscious resistance, I would like to see more active ways for a Barb to manipulate or spend his IF to resist magic. A meditation would do the job quite nicely. That is just my take on it, though.

-Aesop
Re: Thoughts.... 12/29/2006 11:44 AM CST
IF to me is the same stuff that glows around Goku when he yells really loudly and spends 23 minutes powering up. I don't care what others say :P
Re: Thoughts.... 12/29/2006 11:48 AM CST
>>IF to me is the same stuff that glows around Goku when he yells really loudly and spends 23 minutes powering up. I don't care what others say :P

Well, it's true. Barbarians are the Super Saiyans of the DR world.

The Warrior Mages are the Krillins of the DR world.

-Aesop
Re: Thoughts.... 12/29/2006 01:54 PM CST
>>The Warrior Mages are the Krillins of the DR world.

I would agree but Krillin and Goku are best friends.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Thoughts.... 12/29/2006 01:58 PM CST
Dragonballz is lame. :/

- Simon

"Heh" - Everyone
Re: Thoughts.... 12/29/2006 02:27 PM CST
Wonderful, RP. However, the fact that you resist while stunned and unconcious would indicate that concious fighting of it isn't a significant factor.

You see, the point of this topic wasn't me going "nope you're wrong, because of x." The problem is that it seems like barbarian abilities are sort of patchwork without an overriding theory behind them. This is bad(tm).

Maybe we can figure it out.

Re: Thoughts.... 12/29/2006 02:48 PM CST
<<However, the fact that you resist while stunned and unconcious would indicate that concious fighting of it isn't a significant factor.>>

You resist unconsciously because your first person traits that are focused on intensely are always with you.

The only time you don't resist magic is when you're dead. Your body, mind and soul aren't focused on anything at that point.

- Simon

"Heh" - Everyone
Re: Thoughts.... 12/29/2006 02:50 PM CST
>>You see, the point of this topic wasn't me going "nope you're wrong, because of x." The problem is that it seems like barbarian abilities are sort of patchwork without an overriding theory behind them. This is bad(tm).

I actually agree. The real answer? There isn't one.

>>Wonderful, RP. However, the fact that you resist while stunned and unconcious would indicate that concious fighting of it isn't a significant factor.

And yeah, I know there are inconsistencies. Naturally I think the way I look at it is the way it should be (of course I think my opinion's right). To be honest though, it's always sat uneasy with me that mages are somehow supposed to know an external source like mana better then Barbarians are supposed to know something internal like the power of their own will.

As a player, I know that Dragon Dance and Wolverine Dance offer significant MR boosts. As a player, I know I can use warpaint to raise my discipline to boost my effectiveness in WvW spells. But how is this supposed to translate IC?

IF is undefined. You've brought it up and you're not the only one who sees it. You can read the Barbarian inception and Agonar will tell you that you'll learn to harness the power of your rage and fight with the strength of an army in a single man. The emphasis on the internal, on anti-magic and on self-reliance, is there, but there is no theory as you said.

I would like to see Barbarian abilities given not only theory but also more measured control. At the last meeting Iayn talked about using meditations to control dances by spending more/less IF and I think this is a positive step in the right direction.

-Aesop
Re: Thoughts.... 12/29/2006 03:53 PM CST
<<Dragonballz is lame. :/

lol never said it wasn't... thats just how i picture my personal inner fire, especially when i dance dragon. forget war mages and their rip off mantle of fire.
Re: Thoughts.... 12/29/2006 04:28 PM CST
<<lol never said it wasn't... thats just how i picture my personal inner fire, especially when i dance dragon. forget war mages and their rip off mantle of fire.>>

I know. Just raggin' on ya. One of the best explanations of inner fire from a player perspective was one of your posts in this thread. I've seen a lot of different ideas, but yours was pretty interesting.

https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=14&topic=11&message=274

Personally I see our inner fire as what is commonly refered to as ki (chi) in Eastern philosophy or what many see in animated series like dragonball z or naruto and the like.

I see this ki as the same type that thieves use, however we only express it differently. We use anger and rage to fuel and subsequently release this built up ki in the forms of berserks and dances while thieves are more inward with their expression and release.

I see mages lacking this inner ability and therefore rely on outside sources to fuel their abilities which are learned from outward sources.

I was always an advocate of a way to build the harnessing of our inner fire (like how mages harness mana...) the more trained you are the better you could pull off dances and the like, however I suppose no viable method to train this was ever really offered.

Having an ability based purely off stats/concentration/circle or whatever it is has its perks and its disadvantages. The main disadvantage is that we could never train our use of our inner fire above what we currently are circle wise. Like how mages could sit there and focus on primary magic and harness and be above the curve so to speak as far as their circle goes.

/me shrugs

Just my thoughts...

-G, player thereof

- Simon

"Heh" - Everyone