HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/06/2012 09:20 AM CST
Love/Hate

Love:

You slip quietly from your hiding place, convinced that you successfully poached your target.
< Moving in with powerful grace, you fire a leafhead bolt at an elder red brocket deer. An elder red brocket deer fails to evade, receiving a glancing blow. The bolt lands a massive strike that pops the left eye from its socket to dangle by the optic nerve, knocking it completely senseless.

The leafhead bolt lodges itself deeply into the brocket deer!
[You're winded, solidly balanced and in dominating position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

H8:

30+ minutes to mind lock. You are so cruel to me HX :'(
Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/06/2012 06:07 PM CST
I feel your pain with HX; however, it takes me about that long (30+ mins) to lock 2HE at level.

You also see a shiny scorecard and a shiny scorecard.
Obvious paths: none.
> read scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Liurilias - 747"
> read other scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Zerreck - 2456"
Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/06/2012 06:27 PM CST
>>I feel your pain with HX; however, it takes me about that long (30+ mins) to lock 2HE at level.

Even with Whirlwind?

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/06/2012 06:45 PM CST
>>Even with Whirlwind?

Yeah because most the time the bastids are sniping. :( I just multitask though. I hit the assassins wielding daggers with my sword (standard attacks and whirlwinds), and throw at the snipers. But if I go all out 2HE only, it still takes over 30 mins due to the snipers. Unfortunately, intercessors don't spawn all that great, so they aren't much better. I'm typically not in much of a rush anyway. But I don't see what the big issue is with the "slowness" of training crossbows. I train them sometimes and just don't find 30ish minutes to be that big of a deal. No offense directed at you, Malkien. 30 mins is a small price to pay for an utterly amazing weapon.

> read scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Liurilias - 747"
> read other scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Zerreck - 2456"
Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/06/2012 09:06 PM CST
Thats just nuts.

One of the reasons I don't train on assassins/intercessorsja... I'd never get any real weapon training done.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/06/2012 09:29 PM CST
>>I'd never get any real weapon training done

What do you mean? You only "need" to train about five weapon types. An aimable weapon of any sort, one thrown, one one-hander, a two-hander, and brawling. Anything else is pretty redundant. So, yeah, you can get plenty of "real" weapon training done there.

> read scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Liurilias - 747"
> read other scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Zerreck - 2456"
Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/06/2012 11:04 PM CST
Our definitions of 'need' are different.

I need to train every weapon except hx and staff sling(I'll have someone teach those). Guild orders.

Definitely can't do that in assassins, already tried. Things die too fast and don't spawn fast enough plus they snipe which is annoying since they just seem to wanna do that until you point at em. At least dillos have the decency to show themselves after they do their hiding bit.

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/06/2012 11:17 PM CST
Guild orders are to kill often. And you only need a few weapons to fulfill those orders (like about 5ish for circling).

> read scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Liurilias - 747"
> read other scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Zerreck - 2456"
Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/06/2012 11:55 PM CST
My orders were different.

Anything should and will be an instrument of destruction in my hands.

Don't know much about HX, but I've had fantastic results with LX as of late - few rules though:

stonebow with capped crafted shards(thanks Codiax!)
eagle unless you can cap dragon
rage/butchery/anger make a great combo
if you are overhunting, use poach instead of fire(anything above difficult and I'd recommend switching to a forester's with quads or finding a lower critter)
1-2 second aim time

Following that, I've been consistently getting lock times of ~800 seconds.

Advice for HX? Museum xbow with quads. Or a good class.

Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/07/2012 06:30 AM CST
>>Advice for HX? Museum xbow with quads. Or a good class.

The slurbow I use hits a lot harder than a museum HX, and quads just aren't worth the possibility of loss at this point. I was using poach and leaf bolts to overhunt by about 120 ranks.

I'm not too worried about lock time, though, because crossbow is like my tenth weapon.
Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/07/2012 12:39 PM CST
If you're using quads or some other enhanced ammo, then the museum dragon with its lower RT is the way to go. If using storebought ammo, then there are several choices based on what's more important to you:

power = slurbow
RT = Dragon
affordability = Crossing HX

Kaxis

>concentrate on journey

You are too busy concentrating on your journey to do that.
Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/07/2012 01:31 PM CST
>>If you're using quads or some other enhanced ammo, then the museum dragon with its lower RT is the way to go. If using storebought ammo, then there are several choices based on what's more important to you:

Load times are abysmal regardless, I'd rather add another couple seconds for more punch.
Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/07/2012 02:05 PM CST
That's where the choice I mentioned comes in. A museum dragon or crossing HX using pulzones or other enhanced ammo will hit harder than a slurbow using storebought ammo. This is similar to basi arrows and bows. There seems to be a cap on damage with XB, so if you're using enhanced ammo like pulzones all three crossbows hit virtually the same.

I'm not familiar with leaf bolts, however, so I don't know if they're typical storebought or in between storebought and pulzones, etc. But when using typical storebought ammo, the slurbow has a distinct power advantage over the museum dragon or crossing HX, yes.

Kaxis

>concentrate on journey

Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/07/2012 07:35 PM CST
>>That's where the choice I mentioned comes in. A museum dragon or crossing HX using pulzones or other enhanced ammo will hit harder than a slurbow using storebought ammo. This is similar to basi arrows and bows. There seems to be a cap on damage with XB, so if you're using enhanced ammo like pulzones all three crossbows hit virtually the same.

Or you can use a slurbow AND quads, which is what I was getting at.
Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/07/2012 08:54 PM CST
<<Or you can use a slurbow AND quads, which is what I was getting at.>>

You can, but it won't help. Using quads or other super ammo, a slurbow hits the same as a crossing HX, which is what I was getting at.

<<There seems to be a cap on damage with XB, so if you're using enhanced ammo like pulzones all three crossbows hit virtually the same.>>

Kaxis

>concentrate on journey

Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/07/2012 09:45 PM CST
>><<There seems to be a cap on damage with XB, so if you're using enhanced ammo like pulzones all three crossbows hit virtually the same.>>

Have data? I'm not sure where you're getting this information, but back when slurbows first came out, I tried ten shots with this and the museum HX, and the average for the slurbow came out noticeably higher. It was only ten shots a piece, so that could be a product of the RNG and your information may be correct, but some data would help substantiate this claim.
Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/07/2012 10:35 PM CST
<<Have data? I'm not sure where you're getting this information... but some data would help substantiate this claim.>>

Actually I do have a little data on this. Here's where it all started. There are several other minor posts in the thread after the opening big one:

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Combat%20-%20Weapons%20and%20Armor/Crossbows/view/457

These two apply directly to what we're talking about:

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Combat%20-%20Weapons%20and%20Armor/Crossbows/view/463

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Combat%20-%20Weapons%20and%20Armor/Crossbows/view/465

Interesting followups:

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Combat%20-%20Weapons%20and%20Armor/Crossbows/view/498

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Combat%20-%20Weapons%20and%20Armor/Crossbows/view/897

Kaxis

>concentrate on journey

Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/07/2012 10:51 PM CST
>>Kaxis

Thanks, that was an interesting read.
Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/07/2012 10:56 PM CST
You're very welcome.

Kaxis

>concentrate on journey

Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/08/2012 12:34 PM CST
Was the test done on at level Critters? I seen mention of rock trolls.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: HX is Like My Abusive Girlfriend 03/08/2012 05:13 PM CST
Yes, a good match for my 57 ranks at the time.

Kaxis

>concentrate on journey