Lucky or Unlucky? 08/11/2008 08:53 AM CDT
* Driving in like an adept combatant while when a flash of light happens to reflect into its opponent*'*s eyes, a nightstalker unyn lunges with venom-dripping mandibles at you. You barely fail to block with a square-faced throwing hammer made of pitted black iron. The fangs lands a powerful strike that pierces straight through the breastbone to lodge the fangs in the heart, lightly stunning you.
[You're bruised, energetic, shaky, very badly balanced with opponent overwhelming you.]

>wear shield
You are still stunned.
>
A nightstalker unyn readies a lead of spidersilk in its spinnerettes.

A nightstalker unyn squirts a stream of sticky webbing at you, holding you fast in place! No!!
[You're bruised, energetic, shaky, very badly balanced with opponent dominating.]
>
* Moving like a striking snake, a nightstalker unyn lunges with venom-dripping mandibles at you. You knock aside some of the fangs with a square-faced throwing hammer made of pitted black iron. The fangs lands a good strike to your left arm as you falter slightly.
[You're hurt, energetic, shaky, extremely imbalanced with opponent overwhelming you.]
>
* Moving with incredible power and control, a nightstalker unyn lunges with venom-dripping mandibles at you. You repulse some of the fangs with a square-faced throwing hammer made of pitted black iron. The fangs lands a light hit to your right hand.
[You're hurt, energetic, shaky, extremely imbalanced with opponent overwhelming you.]

...I removed a bunch of roar madness\wail attempts here....

Your rage gives you the strength to tear yourself free of the webbing!
Your rage burns harshly, quickening your step and reactions.
>
* Driving in with naturally fluid movements, a nightstalker unyn lunges with venom-dripping mandibles at you. You fend off most of the fangs with a square-faced throwing hammer made of pitted black iron. The fangs lands a grazing blow to your head.
>
A nightstalker unyn goes still, chelicerae waving slightly, and eyes glistening.
>
A nightstalker unyn squirts a stream of sticky webbing at you, holding you fast in place! Oh Come On!
[You're hurt, energetic, shaky, badly balanced with opponent in superior position.]
>
Your rage gives you the strength to tear yourself free of the webbing!
Your rage burns harshly, quickening your step and reactions.
>
A nightstalker unyn goes still, chelicerae waving slightly, and eyes glistening.
>
* Driving in like an adept combatant, a nightstalker unyn dashes forward, thrusting a foreleg at you. You counter the foreleg with a square-faced throwing hammer made of pitted black iron.
[You're bruised, energetic, shaky, nimbly balanced and opponent has slight advantage.]
>
* Driving in like an unbeatable force but happening to do the right thing, a nightstalker unyn lunges with venom-dripping mandibles at you. You knock aside most of the fangs with a square-faced throwing hammer made of pitted black iron. The fangs lands a glancing strike to your neck.
[You're hurt, energetic, shaky, nimbly balanced and in good position.]

I then killed and ran. (had two severe bleeders in the chest)

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Lucky or Unlucky? 08/11/2008 01:06 PM CDT
Logs like this are what make me think the RNG is wacky with open rolls. I swear I've gotten open rolls in quick succession WAY WAY more often than should be possible with a true random system.
Re: Lucky or Unlucky? 08/11/2008 03:51 PM CDT
>>I swear I've gotten open rolls in quick succession WAY WAY more often than should be possible with a true random system.

Though how many times is that die rolled before hitting a streak? It may be wonky, but many times complaints like these are a matter of subjective experience -- we always remember the outliers a lot more vividly than normal results.

What many MMOGs do to combat this, and we currently do not, is rely on a faux-random result that specifically disallows streaks that "defy luck." City of Heroes is notoriously heavy handed: if they say this power will fail 1 time out of 20, they mean it.

-Armifer
"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms-- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."
-Viktor Frankl
Re: Lucky or Unlucky? 08/11/2008 04:15 PM CDT
The only open roll I've actually caught was one I got against a field goblin. I was backtraining 2HE on a 40th circle Thief at the time... it was such a pathetic waste of good luck that I laughed.

Being a War Mage is great. You get to rain all sorts of desctruction on people. Plus, you can blame your gas on Zephyr. Just wave your fingers and let it out.
-XXXX, explaining to my new character why he should join the Warrior Mage Guild.
Re: Lucky or Unlucky? 08/11/2008 06:14 PM CDT
I agree exactly with what Armifer said, having been in many different circustances where people make the exact same complaints about random number generators.

<I swear I've gotten open rolls in quick succession WAY WAY more often than should be possible with a true random system.>

And this is the perfect example. God knows it feels like that but with TRUE randomness you could, theoretically, have nothing BUT open rolls with an insane amount luck! Clumping is a crappy part of randomness.
Re: Lucky or Unlucky? 08/11/2008 06:19 PM CDT
I've gotten 6 crit rolls today so far, but none of them killed me. I think that one I posted about "powerful" was the heaviest hit. But of course I am closing in on the soft cap.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Lucky or Unlucky? 08/11/2008 10:18 PM CDT
>Though how many times is that die rolled before hitting a streak? It may be wonky, but many times complaints like these are a matter of subjective experience -- we always remember the outliers a lot more vividly than normal results.

I'd agree, except I highlight and track all said open rolls, so I "remember" all, not just the outliers. I've been open rolled literally twice in a row on at least 5 occasions. That defies any kind of statistics I know.
Re: Lucky or Unlucky? 08/12/2008 06:15 PM CDT
>>I'd agree, except I highlight and track all said open rolls, so I "remember" all, not just the outliers. I've been open rolled literally twice in a row on at least 5 occasions. That defies any kind of statistics I know. <<

Over how many attacks?

Even though it's absurdly unlikely to happen on any two independant draws, over a long enough string of random draws it's unlikely but not impossible to have streaks like that.

- Mazrian
Re: Lucky or Unlucky? 08/12/2008 07:59 PM CDT
>Over how many attacks?

Unfortunately that information died when my desktop hard drive died. When I get my new computer and head back into combat I'll keep track of everything and post it at some point.