Armor preferences. 07/11/2008 10:09 PM CDT
What kind of armor set ups do you guys wear? I currently wear:

LC Full chain shirt, HC roar helm, lc gloves, and HC greaves.(all forged armor is capped)

I was looking over what you guys can make in prime, and have been looking at both the 795 and 466 stone augmented hc hauberk. As well as the LC hauberk. How much can that great hinderance be worked off on the HC? I have around 300 ranks of both HC and LC if that helps. Am I really wearing the best set up possible?

Let me give some background information I plat in plat. Two of the most un-played professions are barbarian and paladin. Armor forgers come and go. So forged equipment is hard to come by. Its not like I can just run down to trader tables and pick up one of each for 15 plat a pop and run out and test each armor setup out. We currently have a paladin who is starting to forge some pretty decent armor but is still figuring out mixes. So I rather not waste their time if its just going to end up being useless to me. Any advice is welcome.

-Ceriben
Re: Armor preferences. 07/11/2008 10:55 PM CDT
I go with leather mainly because of RP reasons. High reflexes and leather and I tend to dodge a lot of stuff that others don't, even with my crappy evasion. So it's definitely do-able if that's the route anyone want to take. However, I hear a combination of LC and leather is arguably the best setup if you plan to be stealthy with your Barbarian.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Armor preferences. 07/11/2008 11:32 PM CDT
<<However, I hear a combination of LC and leather is arguably the best setup if you plan to be stealthy with your Barbarian.>>

Actually for RP reasons I am not stealthy. Sorry, should have mentioned that. What I am going for is, best protection with the least amount of hinderance possible. I use to wear leather but the open rolls were tearing me apart. Wearing chain really is a huge improvement in open roll defense. Instead of death, I just need to go heal a nasty bleeder.

Which can be a pain in the arse if you need to sail over to merkesh from M'riss to see the auto-puff but a whole lot better then losing all that exp because of some twist of fate where light bounced off the moon and got in my eyes the exact moment I tried to block a peccary with my shield.
Re: Armor preferences. 07/12/2008 07:22 AM CDT
>inv arm
You are wearing a great helm, some half plate, some plate greaves, some gauntlets and a spiked iron buckler.

Full plate + medium arm-worn shield setup. I don't see a lot of "you block" or "you parry", but I still laugh at virtually everything I hunt since they never get above glancing hits no matter how many I'm fighting at once.

With a forged setup emphasizing protection/absorption, plus a low hindrance shield, I got it down to fairly hindered. That would likely be tricky to match in Plat, since there is a shortage of forgers, but it's a goal you could set.

D: So does your wife have any special powers?

M: Yes! Once a month, she becomes eeevil... and I cannot defeat her!
Re: Armor preferences. 07/12/2008 10:33 AM CDT
<<but I still laugh at virtually everything I hunt since they never get above glancing hits no matter how many I'm fighting at once.>>

At what level and critter? just wondering cause I train all armors.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Armor preferences. 07/12/2008 10:41 AM CDT
LC shirt, HC greaves, HC gloves, leather cowl (leather only for a couple extra ranks here and there until LC catches up). Want to keep my hinderance pretty low.

Your mind hears Eladrin thinking, "i saw tikoro make out with a goblin once"

Your mind hears Tikoro thinking, "{faintly}" "Yeah, your mum is pretty ugly."
Re: Armor preferences. 07/12/2008 10:55 AM CDT
Because I've never honestly trained stealth, I'm curious as to the possibilty of wearing HC and leather versus LC and leather. Is it the same or is hiding and stalking easier with light chain?

~Ternith Sjomah

And Shepherds we shall be,
for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand,
that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
We shall flow a river forth to thee,
and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
Re: Armor preferences. 07/12/2008 11:24 AM CDT
I have absolutely no difficulty training leather and HC compared to leather and LC. I wear leather body armor, with the HC visored chain helm from haven, and forged HC gloves.

I had significantly more trouble hiding wearing LC forged shirt, with HC accessories after the new stealth hindrance change, so I switched to leather body armor and have not had any trouble since.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: Armor preferences. 07/12/2008 12:19 PM CDT
This is realtively low level so far... only got to circle 23 at this point. Currently hunting bloodvines (have been since I think 18th) and almost no hits get through; only the special range thorn attack ever makes it, and even those usually glance off. They do better because I parry, I think, rather than shield blocking.

My evasion has suffered because of plate. 86 ranks... shield is 98, parry 110, for comparison. Backtraining is in order.

I suspect things will get worse as I get to higher levels and creatures that hit harder, but for now the full plate setup works quite well for me.

D: So does your wife have any special powers?

M: Yes! Once a month, she becomes eeevil... and I cannot defeat her!