Parry or Dodge 01/30/2008 07:59 PM CST
Which is better? I use dodge but should I be using parry?
Re: Parry or Dodge 01/30/2008 09:29 PM CST
No.

Use dodge.

I only use parry because it puts more strain on non-evasion defenses which can help training. In an actual fight, I never use it.

I am --- Navak
Re: Parry or Dodge 01/30/2008 11:28 PM CST
Yeah, kind of makes you wonder what the point of the parry stance is. I mean, even with more parry than evasion skill and in an 100% parry stance, you're still better off dodging than parrying.
Re: Parry or Dodge 01/30/2008 11:37 PM CST
<<Yeah, kind of makes you wonder what the point of the parry stance is. I mean, even with more parry than evasion skill and in an 100% parry stance, you're still better off dodging than parrying.>>

Uh, one has a higher defense modifiers for evasion|parry.

Dodge favors evasion.
Parry favors parry.

We don't have a shield blocking stance much to my dismay. May try to add it some day. For now evasion/dodge treat shield equally.

-Ssra

"Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."
Re: Parry or Dodge 01/30/2008 11:55 PM CST
Parry stance doesn't do enough for parry, that was my point.

Or I could just say parry doesn't do enough.
Re: Parry or Dodge 01/31/2008 11:27 AM CST
The opinion people have is that evasion >>> parry/shield due to some older GM posts explaining how evasion takes a % off an attack's OF, wheras parry/shield just remove a flat #. %'s are usually better in the long run, so a maneuver that increases a % is usually better than a maneuver that inreases a flat # .

Of course this whole idea could be wrong, or have changed since it was explained... But it does feel like DODGE provides me a larger bonus than PARRY during my day to day hunting - despite having more parry ranks than evasion ranks.

I also agree that a BLOCK maneuver would rule. Maybe it could up the chance of a "second chance" save that shields provide us with.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!