This is stupid but.. 10/14/2007 03:08 AM CDT
Even with high mentals fighting natural swarmy creatures will ruin my mind after 20 or more minutes. Do must people rub orbs/sleep repeatedly so they can keep hunting? Or does it eventually reach a point where you no longer get murky from fighting?
Re: This is stupid but.. 10/14/2007 07:29 AM CDT
I can hunt for hours without any mind problems. It would help if you posted your mind stats.

Drevid

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Venic smiles as he sticks his copper bead in one nostril, covers the other one, and exhales forcefully, shooting the bead directly at Drevid!
Re: This is stupid but.. 10/14/2007 08:05 AM CDT
I can go hours and hours and hours and never bat an eye. That being said, it is still a good idea to use favor orbs. At 20 some favors now I wish I had been doing it a lot earlier.

Also, if your mind is going into the crapper you need to train more skills and do a lot less focus training. What I mean by this is if I spread out my training between 20 skills each getting perplexed my mind will be fine. If I just train 6 and it doesn't include MO (i think its MO right?) to keep your mind state in check then you're screwed.

Just try training appraisal, perception and mech non-stop and see how your mind gets. Mine generally goes to crap if I focus way to heavy on tert skills.

-Galren Moonskin

!>You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.
Re: This is stupid but.. 10/14/2007 08:43 AM CDT
>Even with high mentals fighting natural swarmy creatures will ruin my mind after 20 or more minutes. Do must people rub orbs/sleep repeatedly so they can keep hunting? Or does it eventually reach a point where you no longer get murky from fighting?

As far as I can tell, high mentals will never do anything significant to prevent going murky. I have issues with these stats:
Discipline : 79
Wisdom : 82
Intelligence : 99

Basically, murking your mind has more to do with your habits than your stats. If you are focusing too much on defenses (like I do), you can easily hit murky once MO hits mind lock.

I just use sleep myself, although orbs might be a better route depending on your goals. As a barbarian, you have the best protection from going murky in combat - MO as a primary skill.
Re: This is stupid but.. 10/14/2007 01:36 PM CDT
Mind stats are pitiful. 14int, 15wis, 10 disc. This is a commoner, they are never going higher. Commoners seem to have built in mindstate protection in going from clear to fluid, which does help. I heard about people hunting for hours and hours without problems and was curious if they slept/orbed or not.

Thanks for the info.
Re: This is stupid but.. 10/14/2007 01:37 PM CDT
P.S. High mentals I referenced was my main character =).

P.P.S. You actually don't get a learning hit until very murky right?
Re: This is stupid but.. 10/14/2007 04:04 PM CDT
>P.P.S. You actually don't get a learning hit until very murky right?

No, it sets in at murky I believe. Fluid is fine though.

It could be worse. Remember clear and tired but alert?
Re: This is stupid but.. 10/14/2007 05:43 PM CDT
UGH
Re: This is stupid but.. 10/14/2007 06:55 PM CDT
What kind of a penalty is there for hitting murky?
Re: This is stupid but.. 10/14/2007 07:13 PM CDT
It is a penalty to drain rate. I want to say it is something like 10-20% but I can't really remember. By the time you hit frozen you pretty much don't drain anything.

The progression is something like this:
murky/very murky, thick/very thick, dense/very dense, stagnant, frozen/very frozen
Re: This is stupid but.. 10/15/2007 11:46 AM CDT
Does experience "dissapear" or does it stay in your pool to drain once your mindstate goes down?
Re: This is stupid but.. 10/15/2007 12:55 PM CDT
It doesn't disappear, but it drains more and more slowly as your mindstate gets worse. Therefore you cannot keep filling the pool, hence you are limited on how much you can take in as well as how fast it drains out.
Re: This is stupid but.. 10/21/2007 12:10 PM CDT
I know this is a more useful solution for me as a non-barbarian, but I keep use mind state as an indicator to go lock up all my out of combat skills. Usually by the time I've done a quick climbing/swimming run, juggled some stuff, and locked up my lores, I'm ready to go back into the fray. Of course, it only takes me a short while to lock everything up in combat, as they're largely tertiary skills...

~Raecear in plat, player of

Me: whose fault is this!
GM Kheldun: hmm
GM Kheldun : blame Armifer
Me: does he like that?
GM Kheldun: Being blamed? Yeah I think so.