Sectsy Systems 06/07/2010 04:15 AM CDT
For those who don't have my endless patience for forum surfing (and resulting lack of sanity) it appears the new wunderkind GM Raesh is working on a generic sect/subguild system that can be applied to all of the guilds.

So in order to maybe tempt her (steal her?) to work on stuff for us, I thought I'd try to kindle a nice little discussion on possible subguilds.

So to start it off, I thought I could suggest a name (Lodges) and some ways in which they would vary.

Right off the bat, because it's me, I would think attitude toward magic would be important, whether you hate it, ignore it, or use it.
Next would be amount of control, are you the sterotypical berserking warrior frothing at the mouth, more toward the soldier style, or even the Tusfaov tactician/warrior. (PS. Tusfaov sucks!)

Lodge of the Boar
The Lodge of Blood believes that a Barbarian should be much like a caged animal; calm while at rest, but always on the verge of unstoppable fury. They distain magic as beneath them, and number quite a few of the more virulent mage haters among them.

Suggested Emphasized Themes: Two-handed weapons, offense, berserks, roars.

Lodge of the Wolf
The Lodge of Steel approaches the art of combat in much the same way as an army would, with a focus on balanced fighting. They typically are apathetic when it comes to the use of magic, neither using it nor caring if others do.

Suggested Emphasised Themes: Dances, one-handed weapons, shields, group fighting (who knows, someday it might work)

Lodge of the Leopard
Believing that a single unseen warrior can do far more damage than ten raging berserkers, the Lodge of the Leopard focuses on stealthy combat both with melee and ranged weapons. Often seen as pragmatists, most members of the Lodge are willing to use any magic that does not cost them more than it gains.

Suggested Emphasised Themes: Stealth, ambush attacks, ranged weapons

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/07/2010 04:24 AM CDT
>>So in order to maybe tempt her (steal her?) to work on stuff for us,

You are off to a poor start.

-Raesh
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/07/2010 04:25 AM CDT
>You are off to a poor start.

:(

Guess I'm not as funny as I think. Wouldn't be the first time, nor will it be the last.

Blunts for Sale:
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/07/2010 04:27 AM CDT
Let me try that again.

>>her

You are off to a poor start.

-Raesh
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/07/2010 04:33 AM CDT
>You are off to a poor start.

Hmmmm, any chance you'd be willing to get a gender change so I don't look like quite so much of an idiot?

Blunts for Sale:
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/07/2010 04:42 AM CDT
I can help that happen

~ Yaz

Grixlek says, "Courage is dangerous, it leads to attempts at heroics..."
Vegas asks, "What like dating?"
Grixlek says, "Nothing that dangerous I believe, but still crazy stuff."
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/07/2010 04:45 AM CDT
Allow me to summarize this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUF19acPBZA

-Raesh
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/07/2010 04:56 AM CDT
Welcome to the Barbarian Guild. We hit like a train, and post like a trainwreck.

Blunts for Sale:
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/07/2010 11:41 AM CDT
Too late on the scene...

*Shake head*

I like the ideas... I think I am going to post somewhere too.

ponder

Re: Sectsy Systems 06/07/2010 12:53 PM CDT
I'm just going to barge ahead with the concept of this thread, and not get bogged down in a GMs sex. Or lack of.

I've always wanted to see a more mercenary, less 'frothing at the mouth barbarian' fighter. While this can be done by choosing to be a dancer rather than a zerker, it would be nice to have a house/lodge/school/potatoe that reinforced it.
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/07/2010 12:59 PM CDT
A potato that reinforces it (slight joke, then more serious reflection below).

*forage potato*

*give potato to KROONERMANREVENGE*

"Accept."

[sorry couldn't resist].

On a more serious note, really what does a potato do to reinforce these fighters?

I've longed for a more Fighters guild, and I realize part of the Barbarian Lore, at least the hints I've read suggest that this is just part of the guild. But how does a potato reinforce this? I'd more want a library, or a book to back this...
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/07/2010 01:13 PM CDT
>On a more serious note, really what does a potato do to reinforce these fighters?

Potato vodka, of course
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/07/2010 04:41 PM CDT
Ahem.

Let's get back on track, please?

Thank you!

Svafa

___
Any questions or comments, please contact me at Mod-Svafa@play.net or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/07/2010 06:15 PM CDT
> I'm just going to barge ahead with the concept of this thread, and not get bogged down in a GMs sects. Or lack of.

FTFY

Now we're back on track!

Blunts for Sale:
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/07/2010 07:23 PM CDT
>>I'm just going to barge ahead with the concept of this thread, and not get bogged down in a GMs sex. Or lack of.

>>I've always wanted to see a more mercenary, less 'frothing at the mouth barbarian' fighter. While this can be done by choosing to be a dancer rather than a zerker, it would be nice to have a house/lodge/school/potatoe that reinforced it.

I don't like the idea of trying to forcibly split Barbarians into sects just because everyone else is doing it. It doesn't make any sense in the context of the Guild tradition. We've got intellectuals (Tusfaov) and the not-so-intellectual (Mo). Battle-hardened veterans (Agonar) and young turks raised in the streets (Anhh'shre). We have graceful weaponmasters (T'Kiel) and brawny brawlers (Stumara). Aside from berserking, dancing, and roars/battlecries, virtually nothing connects one Barbarian to another in terms of the Guild. The Guild doesn't need sects, and I feel like their existing would detract from the Guild's lore.
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/07/2010 07:32 PM CDT
I don't know about Sects, but Followers of Traditions, and it might add some lore to the Barbarian guild. There are few books, but plenty of history that seems to go into the Barbarian guild. I'd like to know more.

Re: Sectsy Systems 06/07/2010 07:41 PM CDT
>>I don't know about Sects, but Followers of Traditions, and it might add some lore to the Barbarian guild. There are few books, but plenty of history that seems to go into the Barbarian guild. I'd like to know more.

A pig wearing lipstick is still a pig.

I'm not opposed to a general call for more Barbarian Guild history, but it's not like we're a bunch of historians who sit around comparing notes over tea (in general, the Rissan Guild actually does kind of function like that).

Let our systems define the difference between Barbarians, and keep our verbs general-use, please.
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/08/2010 01:00 AM CDT
There has to be lore in order for something to detract from it. As far as having sects or lodges. You could come up with plenty both for and against. If you don't like it that's fine but don't try to shoot down the idea of someone else simply for that. Personally I think there would be plenty of reason for it and I hope we do get some sort of lodge system. It makes sense that people of similar ideals would band together. And personally my barb doesn't like Mo or Agonar. So circling generally requires a trip of some sort.

Oderint Dum Metuant
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/08/2010 08:38 AM CDT
I don't know, most the times barbs in general don't band together already. If we are going to try to break the barb guild up into mini sects/lodges whatever it would be even worse.

There's not enough people playing honestly.

I'm not trying to shoot the suggestion down I think its a good idea but probably in practice it wouldn't amount to much.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/08/2010 02:24 PM CDT
>>don't know, most the times barbs in general don't band together already.

To play devil's advocate, sects don't really divide up the Moon Mage population, with most Tezirites hanging out in one place and most Heritage House hanging out in another place. The guild still bands together as Moon Mages, rather than individual sects, when the crap hits the fan.

All sects really do (aside from some cantrips) is provide a framework for roleplay. I think it works out pretty well, because Moon Mage lore is one of the richest lores in-game. Creating a bunch of Barbarian sects would also mean that each sect has a history, representatives, etc.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/08/2010 02:53 PM CDT
>All sects really do (aside from some cantrips) is provide a framework for roleplay. I think it works out pretty well, because *Moon Mage lore is one of the richest lores in-game*. Creating a bunch of Barbarian sects would also mean that each sect has a history, representatives, etc.

(Asterisks added for my own emphasis); Moon Mages have a serious awesomesauce of both mechanics, specialty abilities, and role-playing behind the scenes, background, history. That doesn't mean I want Barbarians to be Moon Mages, but if developing them in a certain style similar to the Moon Mages helps draw in development, and inspires more depth of character to more characters, and further brings more players to Barbarians (maybe even into DragonRealms [dare I hope?]) then yes, I am all for that.

Re: Sectsy Systems 06/08/2010 06:02 PM CDT
>I don't know, most the times barbs in general don't band together already. If we are going to try to break the barb guild up into mini sects/lodges whatever it would be even worse.

Personally, I feel the reverse is actually true. It feels to me like the guild is fragmented, in part, because there's so little lore.

A blank slate may make your RP opportunities wide open, but who likes getting handed an empty book and being told to make up your own story (rhetorical question)?

It almost makes me wish we had some abilities that could only be learned from other PC barbs. I'm not sure it would help the issue, but I doubt it would make it any worse.

Blunts for Sale:
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/08/2010 06:58 PM CDT
They should be called Tribes.

~Sulakhan

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/08/2010 08:05 PM CDT
The reason Barbarians seem light on lore is because their lore is that of the Clans. More lore isn't, generally speaking, going to hurt the Guild. But I would definitely, definitely prefer more lore with no strings attached. I would prefer never getting any more lore for the Guild ever again over sects.

The closest I'd come, the absolute closest, is allowing Barbarians to choose which "school of thought" they adhere to in terms of their outlook on their abilities. Each of the six Guildmasters would represent one of those outlooks. There's no "membership" and no restriction on switching between the schools of thought. No mechanical difference or benefits between them. The only thing that would change is how the Barbarian invokes their abilities.

One Tusfaov's Intellectuals might "Dragon Dance" like this:

Tusfaov blinks a few times in rapid succession, the pupils of his eyes dilating rapidly. He shakes his head a few seconds later, a slightly more vacant look in his eyes the only evidence of the episode.

Anhh'shre's Goons might look like this:

Anhh'shre frowns for a moment, and begins to restlessly check her combat gear. Buckles are re-buckled, snaps re-snapped, ties re-tied, and weapons drawn partially from sheaths to test their readiness. With a slight nod, she looks prepared for battle.

T'Kiel's Masters might look like this:

T'Kiel whips her (held weapon/arms) around her body as she limbers up, inadvertently engaging in an unbelievable display of control and familiarity. She settles into a comfortable stance (held weapon/arms) held at the ready.

Stumara's Scrappers might look like this:

Stumara produces a flask from somewhere on her person and tilts her head back to drain it of its contents. With a belch and a smirk, she tosses the flask aside and slaps herself on (the face/her helmet) a few times, mentally preparing herself.

Aligning yourself with Agonar or Mo would get you back to the messaging we enjoy now, although eventually I'd like to see Agonar move more toward dances and Mo more towards berserks.

Dances and Berserks would the only abilities I'd be looking at for this to touch on, and only in terms of how it appears to the Barbarian/people observing the Barbarian. You can ascribe to a different philosophy at some set duration (one month?), although I figure most Barbarians will end up choosing one they favor and stick with it.

Uh, I suppose if someone wanted I could be convinced to collate my thoughts in a document and e-mail it either Kodius or Raesh or both. Would you two appreciate that?
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/08/2010 08:08 PM CDT
I am reading, but for the time being Kodius should be your go to for all things Barbarian.

-Raesh
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/08/2010 08:35 PM CDT
Sure, go ahead and email me any ideas you come up with.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/09/2010 06:01 PM CDT
>But I would definitely, definitely prefer more lore with no strings attached. I would prefer never getting any more lore for the Guild ever again over sects.

You'd rather not have anything than several things you can only pick one of?

Wow. I'd hate to be your nose.

Blunts for Sale:
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/09/2010 07:26 PM CDT
>>Wow. I'd hate to be your nose.
Your poor attempt at humor aside, most people have two nostrils, which assists them in blowing their noses. Like civilized persons would.
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/09/2010 07:30 PM CDT
Let's knock off the snarking and get back to posting good and useful ideas.

Thanks.

Svafa

___
Any questions or comments, please contact me at Mod-Svafa@play.net or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/09/2010 07:52 PM CDT
I don't think there's any need for "guilds within a guild" or "sub-guilds" or whatever. There's numerous guilds, and there's player run organizations like ODS or Theren Guard, among others if you want to create your own "identity." While moonies have different sects or whatever they have... who cares? I don't want to be a moonie. We have barbarians that are dancers, and some that are berserkers, and some that use roars or not. There's no need to further define the guild. It is what it is, and I'm satisfied with that.

Clerics are on the sectual radar.

Just to be clear - I didn't do it. Not sure who did, but it wasn't me.

- GM Raesh
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/09/2010 08:21 PM CDT
Dear GMs,

If Barbarians don't want their sects, can we have them?

Love,

Rangers
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/09/2010 09:50 PM CDT
>I don't want to be a moonie. We have barbarians that are dancers, and some that are berserkers, and some that use roars or not. There's no need to further define the guild. It is what it is, and I'm satisfied with that.

I can't really understand this attitude.

The concept of 'sects' is simply to give the players more RP tools, with possibly some cantrips.

Let's say you have A, B, C sects for argument's sake. Knife fighters, heavy brawlers, and drunks.

A barb is free to ally himself with any 3 at will, or simply stay as a normal member and continue to define himself as he does currently, with the chance of some day joining a sect that mimics his RP.

It detracts nothing, adds possible flavor and interest. And likely, the GM doing the sects will be an event/story GM, not a mechanics/advocate GM.

To me it's like saying we shouldn't have guilds either, because that way everyone can freely and 100% define who and what they are.
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/09/2010 09:51 PM CDT
I love how all the arguments against sects are basically "We have this type of barbarian and that type of barbarian, we don't need sects." lol
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/15/2010 10:23 AM CDT
>>It is what it is, and I am satisfied with that.

They aren't really "sub-guilds" so much as simply ways to enhance your roleplay. If you chose not to use them, that would be an entirely valid option, but I personally like the potential of a little more definition.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Sectsy Systems 06/16/2010 05:05 AM CDT
Not sects! ... Tribes!
Ive always thought that Barbarians should have the option of various tribes to choose from, as Moonies have sects. In the same respect, Warmies should have cabals, Traders with unions, Thiefs with gangs, Bards with Troupes, Rangers with bands, Pallies with Courts, Empaths with associations, and Necros with covens.

Each of these 'Sectisms' would offer a range of advantages and detriments to it's members just as the Moonmage sects do and can still be Clan Members, Guild Members, or special interest members without contradiction.

Regarding the Barbarian Tribes, I see them as being devided by fighter type. One might be war oriented and bonus to berserks, one might be a hunter tribe and specialize in dances, one might be gladitorial and get weapon bonuses, one might be stealth based with bonuses to ambush and hiding, One could reject all magic including empathy and gweths but get bonuses to BMR, and one could be an island-based ocean oriented tribe of pirates.

And they would have to have cool tribe names!

Just some hopes and dreams ............. -Xixist

Re: Sectsy Systems 06/16/2010 03:30 PM CDT
At this point I am kind of regretting that I sent my ideas to Kodius half IC (e.g. Barbarians, their opinions, etc) and half OOC. It makes for sloppy reading if it isn't presented fully, and I don't want to misrepresent the thoughts of Guildleaders on the boards. A suggestion is, after all, a suggestion. So I'll just add some context to the OOC breakdown.

Guildleader Tusfaov would advocate the Considered Path of the Conscious Warrior, which would generally disdain approaching any fight without a plan.

The Considered Path of the Conscious Warrior could be thought of as in the mold of the Athenian Warrior-Philosophers. They're encouraged to both expand their minds and shed their physical limitations. Most of their abilities would reflect extreme patience and supreme discipline, with their eyes dilating and their bodies jerking subconsciously while they slip into a trance.

Guildleader Anhh'shre would advocate the Art of Compensated Fighting, which emphasizes minimizing risk and creating opportunities.

The Art of Compensated Fighting focuses strictly on mercenary behavior and efficiency in conflict, they'd closely represent Italian mercenaries circa the early 1600s. They simply prepare expeditiously for combat, checking and double-checking their gear.

Guildleader Stumara would advocate the Brutal Lessons of Barroom Brawling, which centers mostly around being drunk, engaging in fisticuffs, and being rowdy.

The Brutal Lessons of Barroom Brawling is just that: the sort of hard lessons you'd learn getting knocked around a lot while you're drunk. They hew very closely to the baseline expectations of a "Barbarian," although some might be closer to a Drunken Master. They fire themselves up with liquid courage and a few slaps to get themselves ready for the pain.

Guildleader T'Kiel would advocate the Way of Measured Practice, urging Barbarians to seek mastery of their chosen weapon(s) through rigorous practice.

The Way of Measured Practice would fall closely into the Florentine Schools of Fencing circa the mid 1600s, with followers utilizing a much larger variety of weapons than simply swords. They practice their techniques endlessly so that they can fight without having to consider the correct response. They should know it. They go through a quick kata to channel their focus on the upcoming fight.

Agonar and Mo both teach, but neither particularly advocates, the Maxim of Simplicity, which is 'default' for Barbarians who have not ascribed to one of the other schools of thought.

The Maxim of Simplicity just utilizes the default messaging, and is considered to be the largest of all the schools of thought, simply because it's the rhetoric all young Barbarians are fed, and Barbarians aren't commonly big thinkers.