Tug-a-Mage! (beta rules) 08/01/2006 09:18 PM CDT
Alright. Below are the suggested rules for Tug-A-Mage. Obviously you can see the parts that aren't finished yet. So provide your advice on the various areas either here, or IM me at caitie1103. If you wanna help test out the game IM me too or e-mail whatever. We will do some test runs to refine the rules. I've found at least one interesting arena. Anyway, the rules....

Tug-a-Mage!

Objective: The goal of "Tug-a-Mage!" is to tug the mage to your base
while preventing the other team from dragging the mage to their base.

Teams: The number doesn't matter, so long as its balanced.

Allowed actions: Drag, Tackle, Shove, Circle, Bob, Weave, Grapple, Hiss of the Serpent(if arena is outside town)

Disallowed actions: Hiding, CJs, Buffs, Dances, Berserks, Magic

Avoids: !Joining, !Holding, !Dancing, Dragging
Avoids are set this way so you can't simply hold a bunch of people and run off
or join to avoid being roared. Plus, you have to be able to be dragged.

Uniform: We want to create a type of uniform that each team will wear, this is so
someone with 50 strength can't carry 1000 stones and thereby be undragable
by the younger people. The goal is there to be no advantages for anyone, thereby
creating a game of tactics instead of a game of circles. Any suggestions on where
we could get cheap, semi nifty uniforms would be appreciated. If a novice doesn't
have a vault to store their gear in, someone will give them 5 gold for the vault.

Areana: We are still looking for a good arena. Maulem recomended straight lines(1 by X),
but I want a rectangle shaped arena(3 by X, for example). Maybe something like the
cemetary. Also, I think a hunting grounds might make it more interesting, something
small like goblins, rats, whatever. Since you can't attack the creatures they would
act as extra blockers of sort.
Re: Tug-a-Mage! (beta rules) 08/02/2006 01:22 AM CDT
>>Tug-A-Mage rules

Ug. This is not good. With some exceptions, its pretty much a clone of the proposed Togball rules. I'd be mad, but since I have yet to post them, I can't exactly accuse you of stealing my ideas. :P I wonder if its that we think alike, or the system limits us to these options?

But still, ug. Unless something changes, its gonna risk being Togball by any other name. IM me at CaraamonDR sometime, maybe we can talk over some ways to keep it from taking the uniqueness away from both our games.

Caraamon Majerye,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Tug-a-Mage! (beta rules) 08/02/2006 01:54 AM CDT
Sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I'd be in if you guys get enough to people to put a game together. Really though, depends on where the game would be? Crossing I suppose?
Re: Tug-a-Mage! (beta rules) 08/02/2006 03:13 AM CDT
Well, the rules actually came out of an attempt to make CTF(Capture the Flag) tournaments instead of just Team vs. Team. First it was using clerics, empaths, etc which caused us to realize that players just aren't that intune with crazy rules to try and keep it fair and even without some serious involvement, so we moved to a non-lethal version.

We started out with an object as the ball, something to drag around. An object could be janitorized, picked up, has to be followed around by a moderator, basically a bunch of unneccesary headaches. That is why we used a person, Tug-A-Mag just happpens to fit in nicely, since it does allow all races to play and even all guilds(if they are willing to drag a mage around). Plus, who doesn't love the concept of dragging a mage around and maybe pulling an arm off by accident(Honest it was an accident).

Having bases(or Goals in Togball) is just the best way to score and is reminiscent of CTF games. So perhaps its not that my game is like togball, but that togball is really like CTF, just more RP behind it. Though for togball I'd like to see the Germish ability given to the players so that when they throw the ball around it gets beat up. Being able to carry the ball, tackle, I think that would be an entire coding nightmare. So perhaps the Tog GM already has this planned and coding it, which will then make Tug-a-Mage very unique as well as Togball being very unique.

I'll keep an eye out for you on AIM to talk. We are going to have our first run of "Tug-A-Mage" Wednesday Night, no clue. Anyone who wants to come try it out, IM me at caitie1103 and I will notify you as soon as we have a time. I'm guessing somewhere aroudn 4 - 7pm Pacific. If you do plan to come out notice the one rule you might have to prep for, which is stripping down the majority of your gear, if my wimpy moon mage(the ball) can't drag you then you have too much gear on. I'm not saying this run through will be smooth, but its too see how a game goes, what tuning needs to be done. I believe it will be in crossing, some ideas have been the cemetary, inside the temple, the northern gate badger area(to try the whole hunting area version), plus a ceratin housing area looked absolutely perfect.

Anyone who brings absinthe will be my new hero(or heroine).

Now, don't get me wrong, I think Togball is an excellent past time that has a lot of history behind it, my first barbarian was a Tog(like AOL days). I love the concept of the race and its history. I think a togball league would be a great way to get people interested in being a tog and create more RP of a toggish nature, perhaps get some elvish cheerleaders. My concern would be that you just might not be able to find 20 togs(4 teams of 5) that play on a regular basis or something. While I could definately see having 4 or 8 or 16 teams of Tug-a-Mage players since its every race and every guild.

I wouldn't mind coming up with aspects that could make each game unique in and of itself, but I have a feeling due to the current restrictions of the game it just might not be possible.

Hmmm, I'm taller then some Gor'tog, I suppose I could shave my head and cover my body in green warpaint...
Re: Tug-a-Mage! (beta rules) 08/02/2006 07:49 AM CDT
Well, the only part of the rules I disagree with is dragging the mage to YOUR base. I think the object should be to courrupt the opponents base with the mage. I don't want no finger wagglers at my base!

Niamara
4 out of 3 barbarians have trouble with fractions
Re: Tug-a-Mage! (beta rules) 08/02/2006 08:07 AM CDT
It is like the thanksgiving wish bone...

Your trying to get the largest part of the finger waggler back to your base. If you end up pulling off a limb you can't take that back, otherwise both teams would be scoring at the same time.
Re: Tug-a-Mage! (beta rules) 08/02/2006 07:02 PM CDT
Ya, getting enough togs to join is a nightmare. There just aren't many people who play them anymore. BAH!

Anyways, despite my wishes, we do not have any special commands for Togball, just a field where we can declare something or someone the ball, and all the spectators can see what happens in the room its in.

Someday, we'll get more... someday!

Caraamon Majerye,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Tug-a-Mage! (beta rules) 08/02/2006 08:00 PM CDT
Niamara's funny. <3

- Simon

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Frontpage.html

http://dr.bookofheroes.com/index.php