Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 05/14/2006 04:14 PM CDT
During the game a while ago, I met up with a barb friend of mine. We talked a bit about the things every non-mage does, The latest Uber Death Spell to avoid, MR, that stuff, when someone pops in asking for recruits for some lodge. (no names will be mentioned to protect the guilty.) I thought it would be cool to inquire about joining, since a group like that would make for some good RP. They said I might join, until I decided to be honest and say I wasn't a barbarian, merely visiting a friend. They promptly left. We both thought that was unfair, so I came up with the idea for Otter Lodge. It's a lodge for anyone, be they barbarian, bard, ranger (wilderness or otherwise) or any fingerwaggler( yep, you heard me!) that's willing to use their skills for the good of the Lodge and in need of kindred spirits and support. Basically anyone who's tired of getting the short end of the stick for things like this.

Our little Motto is "Like an otter floating downstream, we flow with the changes of life and battle, coping with any twists or turns they take."

Any help with this getting this idea off the ground is greatly appreciated!

Player of a rather annoyed Commoner
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 05/14/2006 04:21 PM CDT
If it is open to everyone you might want to consider posting in a more general area rather than the Barb folder

Strangeguard Prayermaster
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 05/14/2006 04:37 PM CDT
nods
Um...where exactly?
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 05/14/2006 05:04 PM CDT
You could try Discussions With Dragonrealms Staff and Players/ General Discussions

Strangeguard Prayermaster
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 05/14/2006 06:14 PM CDT
ok, I was thinking The Social Side as well.
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 05/16/2006 09:43 AM CDT
You could also try the unofficial orders folder.

You can lead a mage to mana, but you cant make 'em think.
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 07/31/2006 12:04 AM CDT
Hey boys.

I'd love it if lodges could invite support personnel, such as Clerics and Empaths <g> to be sort of the clan's designated / preferred healers and Raisers, because DR is, let's face it, an exceedingly Confucian gaming platform when it comes to training weapons. My current amphetamine trip indicates that hunting in parties works exceedingly well if you don't invite magic users.<g>

(In other words, I'd like to be adopted since for IC reasons I can't join the Locksmith Union.)

Love,

Father Ainandil, Cleric of Saemaus

>Nickels says, "They're hiding. They're in their magical boxes."
>Ainandil cackles!
>Gridaksma says, "Can't explain, won't apologize."
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 07/31/2006 01:52 PM CDT
>I'd love it if lodges could invite support personnel, such as Clerics and Empaths <g> to be sort of the clan's designated / preferred healers and Raisers, because DR is, let's face it, an exceedingly Confucian gaming platform when it comes to training weapons. My current amphetamine trip indicates that hunting in parties works exceedingly well if you don't invite magic users.<g>

We will get back to you when you lay off the sauce, maybe.

This is my Weapon
This is my Sword.
This one is for frolicking,
And this one's for War!
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 07/31/2006 05:56 PM CDT
I think it more than humorous that not only here on this forum is Ainindil finally realizing the price for being the dill hole that he has been. He's also been pretty well ignored on the Ilithi boards as well when he asked how to join the ranks of the Ilithi militia. Take a hint, Ainy. No one wants to be associated with the likes of you.

Gladiator Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 07/31/2006 06:13 PM CDT
Don't feed the trolls.

- Simon

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Frontpage.html

http://dr.bookofheroes.com/index.php

PS - Heh heh, dill hole.
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 07/31/2006 08:16 PM CDT
>Don't feed the trolls.

You have to admit that its too easy to pass up. Ainandil is like a Troll MRE pack, just heat and serve.

This is my Weapon
This is my Sword.
And this one's for War!
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 07/31/2006 09:11 PM CDT
<<You have to admit that its too easy to pass up. Ainandil is like a Troll MRE pack, just heat and serve.>>

Yeah, I realize that.

Good to see Maulem learning how to insult someone finally. Always a plus to see a new player learn the trade.

Just a friendly reminder to take the garbage/Ainandil to the trash/conflict folder.

- Simon

Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 07/31/2006 10:56 PM CDT
Maulem can insult with the best of them. He just rarely takes the time to type it out.

Drex
---
Gyfford says, "Maulem your wife is giving me a headache."
Maulem says, "Well, at least I'm not th' only one she does that to then."
[Lystid] "do you know the two most important words a married man knows?"
[Maulem] "Itwasn'tme, IsweartoKuniyo?"
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 08/01/2006 04:07 AM CDT
>Maulem can insult with the best of them. He just rarely takes the time to type it out.

Another happy day at the marriage counselor?

This is my Weapon
This is my Sword.
And this one's for War!
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 08/01/2006 06:16 AM CDT
Drex flatters me. Really, I only get really good insults in on the egregiously easy opportunities. In a head to head insult-off, I can never think fast enough to do much real damage. That, and I'm generally not an insulting type.

Anyway...

Lodges are/were a good idea for the most part. I'm still not sure what role they'd play, other than from an RP perspective, in the wide picture of the best guild in the game.

Gladiator Maulem~

Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 08/01/2006 08:08 AM CDT
They could be like moon mage sects....

Affiliation title(Barbarians need good affiliation titles, like Elotheans or Moon mages)
Regular titles
Cantrips(Ok maybe not cantrips, perhaps nifty verbs?)
Nifty Verbs such as
- Weapon Katas(sp?) in the style of the lodge
Custom Warpaint Images
Small Cantrip like stuff
- Thumping Familiars
- Gnome Stomping
- Weapon Kata to restore a bit of inner fire
- Free Kertig Fists
- Focused Roars(only hit one person)
- New warpaint mixtures(more permanent, unable to wash off when slapped on an opponent, special colors)

If we wanted to do some beneficial mechanics perhaps each lodge could bonus dances or berserks, but then you'd have people just joining the lodge for the bonus. The swan lodge would be so empty.

I could see them start out like Elothean Houses, just an affiliation title for 5 or 6 lodges, do player submission, too bad new official orders are pretty much dead, otherwise we could make Order Lodges(though "of the order of the bear lodge" sounds lame, need to drop the order part, sort of like the locksmith union, just plain and simple, "of the Bear lodge"). Maybe someday if we get order halls, we could get lodge halls, or maybe since they are like sects we could get lodge halls anyway.

I'm sure if we got a bit of GM support on this being possible, we'd have a flood of Players providing the RP side for several lodges.
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 08/01/2006 04:20 PM CDT
Let me try to understand. The general consensus in the past has been to work away from being "cookie cutter" barbarians/characters. You all were given choices of which roar/battle cry techniques you wished to choose so you could customize your character. People still wanted to go further and wanted to customize there barbarians/characters with by bringing up the idea of dance/neutral/berserker path to take. That is sort of the case as it exists now, but not really official. Meaning, it depends on how YOU train your character for how they will benefit from what they have available to them. Now another suggestion is brought up about lodges that will make them feel like moon mage sects -- in order to customize your character even further.

In the end, you'll be a Barbarian which is all that should matter (we have people kneel before us - enough said). Is there really such a thing as being a "cookie cutter" barbarian, etc.? I don't think so. You're separated by the fact that practically every person role-plays their character differently. You may or may not use different weapons than one another. Some people know how to use their tools effectively and know how to fight, some are not as proficient. Some people prefer a certain area to hunt/interact with and some people prefer other areas. Your race separates you as a Barbarian, as does your stats and skills, as well as other things mentioned previously.

Going back to the idea about lodges. There's nothing really stopping a group from forming up a lodge if folks want to do that and that doesn't need GM assistance (beyond custom titles if the group survives for a while). Nothing really beats a good solid group of people working together for the same cause(s).

Having GMs divide a guild even further into sub-sections will breed weakness for a few reasons. It just does not seem to be worth the effort when there are other things that could benefit the guild as a whole.

I do like a lot of the ideas you listed, Caitie. Except for free kertig fists, cantrips, and gnome stomping (that should be a gor'tog thing).

My two cents.

<<That, and I'm generally not an insulting type.>>

Easy there Farmer Maulem. You got to start somewhere. :)

- Simon

Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 08/01/2006 04:43 PM CDT
Eh, as the most recent proponent of lodges, I thought I should weigh in and explain why I wanted to do it.

Lets be honest folks, the barbarian guild is not a very close knit group. Our hunting requirements combined with a lack of any incentive to hunt in groups means that the majority of us hunt alone for extended periods. Everyone has their opinion on whether this is good or not, but to me, I'd like to have a bit more interaction with my guildmates, hence the idea of lodges.

The idea was a group of like-minded barbarians that would meet on a regular basis for RP, trading advice and games. The problem is, I got a lotta people who liked the idea and would be willing to join, up until I explained I needed people to help me and put effort into actually starting the damn things. You'd be surprised how many people suddenly were busy.

The barbarian mentors do a great job with novice night, but I was hoping for something aimed at the more advanced barbarians. But it didn't work out, so I'm not starting the Togball League.

Caraamon Majerye,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 08/01/2006 04:47 PM CDT
<<Everyone has their opinion on whether this is good or not, but to me, I'd like to have a bit more interaction with my guildmates, hence the idea of lodges.>>

Ok, I was referring to Caitie's idea about lodges and her suggestion on the perks. Not on your reason for lodges, Caraamon.

- Simon

Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 08/01/2006 04:49 PM CDT
>>Ok, I was referring to Caitie's idea about lodges and her suggestion on the perks. Not on your reason for lodges, Caraamon.

Oh I know. I just wanted to set the record straight on the origional reasons for the attempt. I didn't really care about mechanical stuff, though I was thrilled that Iayn once hinted we might get our own titles if we did it right.

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 08/01/2006 05:21 PM CDT
I enjoy the RP idea behind the lodges most of all. I brought up the sect part, because it was a good example of how it could be done and not be an "Order". The extra stuff I mentioned, would be fun, but I don't think any of it is really a requirement.

I think the barbarian guild is really wonky(i like that word) on how 'close knit' it is. It seems a lot of barbarian give each other a 'lip service' of sort and I think friendships can grow from things like our bonfire. I know I've enjoyed the barbarian friends I made from going to the barbarian bonfire.

I agree with Simon, if the Lodges provide some sort of real bonus, such as a bonus to dragon dance if you join the Dragon lodge, then it won't be an RP tool anymore but merely a choice you make to get your character stronger.

I disagree with Simon about our training separating us though. I've never felt the weapon I chose, or roars I picked, or my hunting style, ever separated me from another barbarian. It always felt like, "Hmmm, interesting choices, but I like using Sling and Kuniyo's Rage". Though I guess my primary interaction with other Barbs has been from the bonfire. I focus a lot on training, so I don't get to sit and just babble with others all that often.

I think the Lodges could be very useful, because I think a lot of newer barbarians, and those that have been playing them for years, are not as knowledgable as they could be. How many barbarians have you come across who took Agonar's first roar and has no clue what it actually does? and then when they find out, they wanna shoot themselves in the foot.

I wouldn't mind putting in work to build a lodge. I had one barbarian who wanted me to help him out with the lodge sort of idea, but the RP of his lodge idea, didn't fit with the RP of my barbarian, so it was sort of a wash I suppose. I can do web design, some story righting, who knows.

Caraamon wouldn't let me pay togball, big meanie.
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 08/01/2006 05:29 PM CDT
>>Caraamon wouldn't let me pay togball, big meanie.

Not until you've grown up, turned green, and lost all your hair.

:P

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 08/01/2006 05:37 PM CDT
Is there actual Togball rules?

I know I was sitting around with a few others and we started drawing up rules on a sort of CTF style tournament. I think it would be interesting if we could come up with more Barbarian style games that we could have teams for. Togball is nice and all, but its a game that excludes all other races(except the ball). We could always get a gnome mage, shove alcohol down his throat until he blacks out, then play a version of tug a mage. There are lots of problems or things that would have to be ironed out though, like combat.

I bet we could make a brawling only version with tackle/grab/shove, but then if you have one team where one person has 500 brawling, and everyone else is at like 200 brawling, then it would be much of a game. Though I suppose you could have a person stance down.

Hmmm....

Ok, what would you guys think of making "Tug-a-Mage" a real game?

Taking it from a completely mechanics point of view.

You have 2 teams, say 5 people each. No CJs, No Buffs, No Dances. The only moves allowed are non-lethal brawling moves(shove, circle, etc) and drag. The goal being to drag the Mage(i'm sure we could hit one over the head, kill one, whatever) to your goal. The other team tries to stop you by dragging the mage the other way, tackling the dragger, teaming up to detain. I think it would make for some interesting tactics and probably a fairly fun time. What do you guys think?
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 08/01/2006 05:43 PM CDT
::conks Ndarra over the head with the Squeaky Hammer of Dewm and steals her game idea::

Gladiator Maulem~

Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 08/01/2006 05:46 PM CDT
Hey great idea..... Too bad that's what Togball is, pretty much exactly.

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 08/01/2006 06:05 PM CDT
Maulem and I been discussing lots of options that make it not an exact copy of togball, not to mention allowing all races to play makes it much more player friendly and easier to get people for.
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 08/01/2006 06:30 PM CDT
<<I just wanted to set the record straight on the origional reasons for the attempt. I didn't really care about mechanical stuff, though I was thrilled that Iayn once hinted we might get our own titles if we did it right.>>

Yeah, I thought that was cool in thought/theory. It's only gonna go as far as how other people are motivated to participate with it. It's still a good idea either way.

<<I agree with Simon, if the Lodges provide some sort of real bonus, such as a bonus to dragon dance if you join the Dragon lodge, then it won't be an RP tool anymore but merely a choice you make to get your character stronger.>>

Exactly. I just personally wouldn't think it is in the best interest of the guild to further spread out having something similar to what moon mages have as sects.

<<I disagree with Simon about our training separating us though. I've never felt the weapon I chose, or roars I picked, or my hunting style, ever separated me from another barbarian.>>

It's not necessarily what I believe. It's more of a partial reason from what players have mentioned in the past. People did not want to be "cookie cutter" characters similar to others in their own guild. The splitting of the 4 previous roars into various intimidation techniques and battle cry techniques helped gain more individuality for your own character to satisfy the whole "cookie cutter" dilemma. It wasn't a dilemma previously, just a perceived one, based on the points I made. I used this scenario from the past because it shared similarities toward attempting to satisfy the "cookie cutter" dilemma, even though I'm sure that was not your intent when thinking of those ideas (good ideas nonetheless, but they should be for the entire guild).

<<How many barbarians have you come across who took Agonar's first roar and has no clue what it actually does? and then when they find out, they wanna shoot themselves in the foot.>>

I'm sure there are a decent number of folks who have done that. It is something that could be solved by tinkering around with Agonar (and other guildleaders messaging when they mention their roars).
________________________________________________________________________________________

Agonar idly thumbs the ebon wolf hung at his neck as he replies, "Roars are more than just sound. They're a tool. Fear is something we've learned to use, over the years, and some of us can use it quite effectively."
"On the other hand, strengthening the hearts of your allies with a ferocious cry of battle is something our guild has had practice doing, but remember that we're not the trained leaders of groups that Paladins are."

He continues, "I can tell you about a few techniques that I'd be able to teach you to use, if you're ready for em. They're the roars Kuniyo's Spirit, Everild's Rage, Trothfang's Butchery, and the battle cry of Pride. Ask me about them if you wish." He sits back and waits for your response.
________________________________________________________________________________________

BTW, there's a double space between "for and "your" on the last sentence there (when you ask him about roars). Anyway, if Agonar and the other guildleaders could just mention that other GLs know of other intimidation techniques/battle cry techniques that a Barbarian could learn, that would help the situation of a character not knowing that only one guildleader can teach them one section of roars/battle cries.

I think Aurdun may have some ideas for Togball, but who knows. Ask him in the 'Tog folder. :)

- Simon

Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 08/01/2006 06:44 PM CDT
I believe Agonar makes some mention of it now that other guild leaders teach different roars, but I don't think a lot of Barbarians are pro-active enough to do research and see that different roars are useful. I know when I started my new barbarian, I had her roars planned out until 35th cirlce(Screech/Hiss/Wail/Slash).

I wouldn't mind taking the time to work on the lodge if I found like minded individuals. I'm a big fan of symbolism and such.

I do think one problem for lodges would be a snowball effect. If we put together the "Bear Lodge", we get a dozen or so members, maybe even 50 members. Iayn sees it and decides to award us titles. You now have every barbarian in the world running to join the "Bear Lodge" because its the only one available. I don't think we have the player base to support half a dozen lodges to the extent I envision them.
Re: Giving the Lodge Idea the Rezz it Deserves...for the rest of us! 10/20/2006 03:27 PM CDT
>>>Gyfford says, "Maulem your wife is giving me a headache."
Maulem says, "Well, at least I'm not th' only one she does that to then."
[Lystid] "do you know the two most important words a married man knows?"
[Maulem] "Itwasn'tme, IsweartoKuniyo?" MMM

repeat:
>>[Lystid] "do you know the two most important words a married man knows?"<<

All I'm going to say is: Nietzche was right about one or two things...if a little off the deep end on others

- Alemaster