Lodges 02/03/2006 06:02 PM CST
I had an idea for a way to give us something similar to the Moon Mage Sects: Lodges!

Each would have a totem animal and a theme to them. Example: Bear Lodge who believe "Strength is everything, while some may need to aim, if you hit hard enough, it doesn't matter where you hit." or Boar who believe "While some dodge and weave, we know better, don't waste your time defending, the only way to be sure you won't get hit is to leave your opponent in pieces before they can swing."

When title II come out, we could get Bear Warrior or similar, plus all the fun of the spirit quest to join. Toss in an actually lodge house, maybe with player homes, and just think of what could happen!

Caraamon Majerye,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Lodges 02/03/2006 06:33 PM CST
For a start you could all use the same warpaint. . .

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Liaison
Re: Lodges 02/03/2006 08:23 PM CST
Waaaaaaaaaaa!

Our GM is mocking my suggestion!

Waaaaaaaaaaa!

:P

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: Lodges 02/03/2006 10:05 PM CST
Didn't sound like mocking to me. Sounds like he is encouraging your idea, but without giving the obligatory response of, "Maybe someday, but no time soon."

Since it will be years before something like this is introduced, why not start an Order or Clan now, and that can be your emblem.

Fuquois
Re: Lodges 02/03/2006 10:37 PM CST
Wasn't mocking at all.
I could spend all sorts of time and create lodges, paths, all that, with no guarantee anyone would use them or care.
Set up a group and RP it, and then it could be worth developing things if there is real interest in them.

Warpaint is great for that sort of thing IMO.

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Liaison
Re: Lodges 02/04/2006 09:13 AM CST
Ok so you are saying that if we were to say sort of set up our own lodge's or clans for RP and got eonough other barbs to show interest/join then there is a posibility that they could become real?

We are all mere shadows and dust.

~Craetos~
Re: Lodges 02/04/2006 11:01 AM CST
>Ok so you are saying that if we were to say sort of set up our own lodge's or clans for RP and got eonough other barbs to show interest/join then there is a posibility that they could become real?

Okay... I know what you meant, but I have to say it anyway: if you set up the RP and got others involved with it, it would already be real.

Fuquois
Re: Lodges 02/04/2006 12:53 PM CST
If players were active and involved in such things it would be easier for me to justify spending time on them. There still would be an issue about developing things for just a small group of the guild rather than the guild as a whole, and things for the whole guild would most likely have a higher priority.

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Liaison
Re: Lodges 02/04/2006 01:25 PM CST
I believe this is what is known as a catch 22.

Orpheus: "You've been powering this machine with a forsaken child?"
Venture: "What? It's not like I used the whole thing."
Re: Lodges 02/04/2006 02:58 PM CST
....... Ohhhh I'm so gonna do it either way.

Bear Lodge, here I come!

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: Lodges 02/05/2006 08:27 AM CST
There are already a number of excellent locations where various groups of barbarians can gather, if they wish to.

1) The Pig's Pannage in Tiger Clan. A bar, plenty of barbarian-type foods.

2) The lodge in Wolf Clan, or the tavern at the end of the road through the Clan. I've spent quite a few hours there in my various barbarian personnas, and I've been very curious about Wolfjaw Ironbeard. Perhaps he'll talk to us?

3) The cave in Knife Clan where Guildleader Stumara is presently residing. There are a couple of extra rooms off from her, and Dokt is nearby in case someone needs a quick healing after a spar.

4) The fenced-in yard behind the barbarian guild in Riverhaven.

5) Steel Claw Clan in Ilithi is basicly a barbarian town. So take your pick!

Any other suggestions?

Player of Ryeka and the brood

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Lodges 02/05/2006 09:55 AM CST
In front of the Gorbesh Fort north of lang is a good, out of the way spot.

I also like the lodge in Wolf Clan. Wolfbeard's story is a great one and one I highly recommend reading btw. I'd love to try and have more mentor things going out there for us, if only more people knew the way out there.

Gladiator Maulem~

"The truth is that ineffective, unfocused violence leads to more death. However fully thought through, well executed violence never leads to more violence because afterwards, the other guys are all dead." ~Ternith
Re: Lodges 02/05/2006 08:18 PM CST
There is also the Gorbesh Fort in Dirge. That place is almost always empty. But I would be willing to attenf lodge meetings for lodge that went along the lines of my character. Raist bear lodge sounds good. I think a lodge that was based on say the panther would be good. Not everything requires straight brute force. Agilty and guile go along way to making the panther a skilled and deadly hunter. Any thoughts anyone?

~Craetos~
Re: Lodges 02/05/2006 08:40 PM CST
My thoughts were along the lines of a Northern Horde lodge based in Therengia. I'd definitely look into supporting and likely joining such a group. If my schedule allowed, I'd look into organizing a group like this, but my schedule is pretty full with the various IG things I'm into.

On a semi-related note, you could also perhaps link this lodge idea with and idea I had a while back of gladiator schools based around the official arenas of the lands. The war paint system certainly lends itself to this idea also.

Gladiator Maulem~

"The truth is that ineffective, unfocused violence leads to more death. However fully thought through, well executed violence never leads to more violence because afterwards, the other guys are all dead." ~Ternith
Re: Lodges 02/06/2006 04:44 AM CST
Interestingly enough, I think the Bear Lodge might meet in the Bear dance pit. They are out of the way and rarely used areas.

Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss

www.play.net/dr/info/guilds/barb.asp
Re: Lodges 02/06/2006 10:39 AM CST
Hey, if anyone else wants to join me in lodging, I'd be tickled pink. While I'm going to concentrate on starting the bear lodge, if some of you folks want to sit down and brain storm on lodges and competing totem lodges, I'd love it. I'm NOT looking to lead the bear lodge, just get it running. When I first "planned" this, I mostly pictured lodges being groups that compete but do it in a friendly way.

I like to think I'm always open to advice and talk, in fact I'd love to hear from all of you about what you think and what you want and what you hate.

Oh, and if you want to join, I'd love to know that too.

So step up to the plate folks, if you don't like Bear Lodge, start your own! Council of Lodges, Gladatiors, and Barbarians, coming to your town soon!

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: Lodges 02/06/2006 07:23 PM CST
Hey if ya got enough people interested maybe someone up in the clouds would throw ya a post title "of the bear lodge" ect.

Codiax.

Why kill anything when you can kill mages
Re: Lodges 02/06/2006 08:45 PM CST
That's what I'm hoping.

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: Lodges 02/06/2006 10:39 PM CST
I'd definitely be interested--if not specifically the 'Bear Lodge', something more aptly Sadeia.

Sadeia.

The vines whip around Sadeia's legs, flinging her over the edge of the cliff! A shriek echoes through the air, fading into the distance.
Re:Lodges 02/07/2006 10:23 AM CST
Well it seems we have two ideas for lodges, Bear and Panther anyone else have any suggestion. Sadeia what kind of line do you see falling in line with your character?

~Craetos~
Re:Lodges 02/07/2006 10:27 AM CST
I'm currently busy at the moment... but after some time I would like to start up the Cobra lodge. I will have details and all that stuff sometime in the near future.

Vinjince
Re:Lodges 02/07/2006 10:57 AM CST
>Well it seems we have two ideas for lodges, Bear and Panther anyone else have any suggestion. Sadeia what kind of line do you see falling in line with your character?

Something that focuses on a defensive stance.

Sadeia.

The vines whip around Sadeia's legs, flinging her over the edge of the cliff! A shriek echoes through the air, fading into the distance.
Re: Lodges 02/07/2006 01:40 PM CST
Ok Sadeia why not try to start a boar or wolverine lodge either could work. Boar would probably work better. Me personally once a few other things are taken care of I will start working on Panther Lodge unless someone beats me to it. If anyone is interested please send me an e-mail at kid_gryph@yahoo.com. That brings the lodge count up to 3 possibly 4.

~Craetos~
Re: Lodges 02/07/2006 04:34 PM CST
Badger lodge would also work well, sticking with the "dance" oriented lodge names. Plus the badger pit area is pretty cool.

Gladiator Maulem~

Re: Lodges 02/07/2006 05:45 PM CST
</brag>As the founder of the idea</brag> I'd like to suggest that those who are interested in starting Lodges or the like, get together to brainstorm themes and uniting features. Its my not-so-humble opinion that even if these lodges are based on separate themes, working together would probably get them going a lot faster.

Example: If I do a recruiting speech and someone isn't interested in my lodge, but in others, I can send 'em to you. Like I was talking about with Windharo, it seems people have different ideas about what these lodges represent. I was planning to take them on a more "totem animal" route, rather than limit it to the dances. Then again, I don't run the show, so what I was planning may not matter.

Maybe we should set up a <pompous>Council of Lodges</pompous>.

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: Lodges 02/08/2006 07:56 AM CST
If these lodges ever do get put into the game, perhaps when combat manuevers come out they could be based around the lodges? Bear gets a heavy bash/clobber maneuver, panther a more agile, perhaps even a little bit sneaky move.. etc
Re: Lodges 02/08/2006 12:22 PM CST
<<<<< Bear gets a heavy bash/clobber maneuver, panther a more agile, perhaps even a little bit sneaky move.. etc
>>>>>

So I'd go either Cobra for a poison/spitting attack, or dragon to eat someone alive..

Of course, maybe we all should go swan. We can float our enemies to death. (Or maybe transform ugly duckling style)

You know they say that cat IJ is one bad mother- "Shut yo mouth!" - I'm just talking about Ironjonn! - "I can dig it-"
Re: Lodges 02/08/2006 02:26 PM CST
>>So I'd go either Cobra for a poison/spitting attack, or dragon to eat someone alive..

Which reminds me... what happened to that Fire Breathing ability that was supposedly going to be developed for the guild? I was going to ask Iayn at the meeting, but I forgot the command to join a list until after it closed. haha... gotta love those year long breaks from the game.

-V
Re: Lodges 02/08/2006 03:21 PM CST
Is there any interest in a lodge or sect that isn't quite based upon the dances or some of our other abilities, but more upon ideals? Something like the Edged Path for those that devote themselves strictly to fighting with blades, or something for those that follow a more disciplined path? Throwing some different ideas out there.
Re: Lodges 02/08/2006 03:47 PM CST
No current plans for fire-breathing.

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Liaison
Re: Lodges 02/08/2006 03:53 PM CST
>>No current plans for fire-breathing.

Cool, that answers that. Thankya

-V
Re: Lodges 02/08/2006 06:38 PM CST
>>Is there any interest in a lodge or sect that isn't quite based upon the dances or some of our other abilities, but more upon ideals? Something like the Edged Path for those that devote themselves strictly to fighting with blades, or something for those that follow a more disciplined path? Throwing some different ideas out there.

Actually, the things I'm setting up are the exact opposite. The Lodges are about ideals, embodied in animals. For example, the Bear Lodge is about the ideal of strength, the one Creatrix is setting up is about mercilessness in combat with a side order of stealth (exact theme still in planning) tentatively named Wolf Lodge. Someone else was going to set up a Lodge based on stealth, Panther I think.

If you have an idea, PLEASE let us know, or start your own. This should be the combined work of as many barbarians as possible.

At least, that's what I plan.

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: Lodges 02/08/2006 07:10 PM CST
Yes, my idea for a lodge is set up a group based on ideals. I'd love to start a group based soley on brawling. Of course we have to learn other weapons, but we fight with our hands first.

any takers?

I'd also like to set up a racial one, although my barbarian is Elothean. So, fat chance on finding lots of Elothean Barbarians.
Re: Lodges 02/11/2006 04:38 AM CST
>the Bear Lodge
>Panther I think.

Har! Continue naming them as follows:

Owl - Dedicated to swift kills, primarily using ranged
Lynx - Focus on dances etc
Leopard - Lighter weapons with faster attacks.

-Durnil
Re: Lodges 02/11/2006 08:14 AM CST
I think they should start one called the Flame-shrouded Wolf Lodge.

Fuquois
Re: Lodges 02/11/2006 08:49 PM CST
>>I think they should start one called the Flame-shrouded Wolf Lodge.

Focused on killing War Mages? Brilliant!

Auroch clamps his fist around your forearm and hauls you over for a merciless Barbarian greeting. Stifling a grimace, you wonder if you'll ever wield a weapon again.