Here's one of my Traditions 06/07/2005 03:06 PM CDT
Year or so ago I decided, hey if I'm going to be against magic, I should be against all magic. So no clerical raising or rejuvination for me and no empaths. Course, a couple of empaths IG convinced me transferrence isn't magic, so I use it now, but still no clerics.

Caraamon Majerye,
Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 06/07/2005 06:49 PM CDT
>>So no clerical raising or rejuvination for me and no empaths.

You're a corpse, so what's it matter when you are dead?

Brabs

It's fascinating, though, how much like an oral culture this can be when it's carried out entirely in text.--GM Natala
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 06/07/2005 08:45 PM CDT
<<You're a corpse, so what's it matter when you are dead?

Its the principle of the thing.

Warning Rant Ahead!

That's one of the thing that bothers me about some barbarians. There are many magic spells and items that don't drain our Inner Fire (gweths come to mind) and some people seem to think that that automatically means its fine to use them. I remember back when seeing Barbarians wanting a Courage spell was common. In-my-not-so-humble opinion the idea of the Barbarian Guild is that a warrior who refuses magic is stronger than one who does. Things like gweths, rejuvination, and such go in the face of our purpose, regardless of whether it saps Inner Fire.

Just because its not illegal doesn't means its not wrong. Same goes for magic. Just because it doesn't sap Inner Fire doesn't mean its not wrong to use it. To quote Agonar, "Magic?! We don't need no stinkin' magic!!"

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 06/07/2005 09:55 PM CDT
>>That's one of the thing that bothers me about some barbarians. There are many magic spells and items that don't drain our Inner Fire (gweths come to mind) and some people seem to think that that automatically means its fine to use them. I remember back when seeing Barbarians wanting a Courage spell was common. In-my-not-so-humble opinion the idea of the Barbarian Guild is that a warrior who refuses magic is stronger than one who does. Things like gweths, rejuvination, and such go in the face of our purpose, regardless of whether it saps Inner Fire.
>>Just because its not illegal doesn't means its not wrong. Same goes for magic. Just because it doesn't sap Inner Fire doesn't mean its not wrong to use it. To quote Agonar, "Magic?! We don't need no stinkin' magic!!"--Caraamon Majerye,

I've heard this argument over and over again on the boards for the numerous years I have played and I still don't buy it as a "rule". I completely honor your decision and choice to RP this way but remember that not all barbarians RP the same way you do. It's the same in every guild. There are aspects to being a barbarian. Not just one way.

Also, using magic and having magic cast upon you are two different things. Gweths have been debated and I believe agreed apon as not being magic at all. Just because something isn't mundane in DR doesn't mean it is magic. I disagree wholeheartedly that these things go in the face of "everyone" who has joined the barbarian guild. It is only a guild afterall. You aren't born a barbarian.

Rhadyn da Dwarb
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 06/07/2005 11:12 PM CDT
<<There are aspects to being a barbarian. Not just one way.
Is that like saying Paladins don't have to be honorable, its just one way or RPing them?

<<Gweths have been debated and I believe agreed apon as not being magic at all.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they created by Moon Mages using magic and that when a mage focuses on one they get a magic pattern?

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 06/08/2005 05:27 AM CDT
When I tried to use the Gweth shells, I could not wispher into them. I was repelled by the 'Stink of magic'. Normal gweths do not smell the same. This is how I justify gweths.

Juggernaut Magdar Bluefletch of M'Riss

www.play.net/dr/info/guilds/barb.asp

and I quote:
Weapon Forging
Anyone can forge a crude weapon, but only barbarians can produce legendary quality weapons sought after by all.
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 06/08/2005 11:10 AM CDT
I agree with you up to the point of Empaths and Clerics, except that you now allow transference... so just clerics =P.

The way I "rationalize" clerical magic is that it comes from the gods themselves. More of a divine intervention as opposed to magic. But I can definitely see your point, and I may need to seriously rethink my character's views on Clerical magic, ie Rejuvination/Ressurection.

I think it's somewhat funny when people apologize to me when they notice I get uncomfortable around magic. I usually tell them not to worry about it, and leave. My character views our Inner Fire as a well of strength he has to draw on, one that he can nurture and promote growth in by being self-sufficient. Those who use magic have lost that bit of themselves, they have become too dependent on the crutch that is magic (as can be seen by DESC <non-barb person>). That doesn't make them bad people, just... wrong =P. So he doesn't mind others using magic, he understands that not everyone is strong enough to follow the path of Inner Strength and Focus.

But as I said, I agree with what you've said. I don't have him use Gwethdesuans, and while he lets empaths heal him (or rather, asks for help, since -letting- them heal him sounds too arrogant, and he's not), clerical magic specifically rejuvination/ressurection is a touchy subject.

Any thoughts or deeper reasonings for -not- using those?

=P
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 06/08/2005 09:03 PM CDT
<<except that you now allow transference
For several months I didn't, and aside from the near impossibility avoiding becoming a walking scar (herbs won't effect severe enough scars) I have a long conversation with several empaths who convinced me in game it was ok. Their logic was that we don't resist transferrence, it takes no mana, and is much more like our dances etc. than it is magic. Now I admit, part of it is the fact that its nearly impossible not to use them, but also a good part is RP.

<<The way I "rationalize" clerical magic is that it comes from the gods themselves. More of a divine intervention as opposed to magic.

For a long time that was how I looked at it too, until I came across some clerical spells that I ended up resisting (don't remember which, but it was under the new system). Also, if you think about it that way, you would have to put Paladin magic in the same catagory, and I know we resist many of their spells. That forced me to change my opinion, that and the fact that it requires all the hallmarks of mages in general, such as harness, mana, etc. However, I have yet to form an opinion of cleric rituals or paladin glyphs, since they require no mana or harness and seem much more like a "direct from god(dess)" type thing.

Also, I don't know about the rest of you, but my barbarian finds the whole idea of being able to manipulate dead souls fairly creepy. Necromancers anyone?

What do you folks think?

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 06/08/2005 11:05 PM CDT
>>Is that like saying Paladins don't have to be honorable, its just one way or RPing them?--Caraamon Majerye

That is correct. What makes you think a Paladin has to be "honorable"? Have you never seen a Dark Paladin RPed in DR? I certainly have. And how about vigilante justice as opposed to law based justice? There are tons of ways to RP a Paladin that do not fall into the "normal" way of thinking about a Paladin. Same goes for a barbarian.

Now please address my issue concerning joining the guild in comparison to being born a barbarian that can't use magic. I don't think there is much you can say about that. In the case of joining a guild, if it is allowable through game mechanics then it is allowable to guild leaders. Look at the thieves guild (I know it doesn't exist), they handle IG abuse or use of their skills outside of the guilds approval in very deliberate and hazardous ways.

The strength of our guild has always been the diversity. Once again, I'm not knocking how you RP your barbarian. I believe you have the right to how you RP. However, I also think you should not force your views of what a barbarian is onto other barbarians through game mechanics. That isn't to say I think you are forcing your views, but OOC in this forum you appear to think other barbs that accept magic as a natural element of Elanthia life as being lower than you. IC that's fine, but not OOC in a forum. Voice your opinion all you want but don't fall prey to the logic that your way of thinking of the barb guild is "right" or the only way. If you admit that then we are completely in agreement.

BTW I've been playing Rhadyn as a barbarian since the fall of 1996 with a 1+ year break. I've seen this guild grow from the beginning and don't want to lose the ground we've gained from many arguments and fights with the GMs. Game mechanics should not limit us. We won the resist all when alive, resist none when dead battle. I think we should leave it at that and honor every barbarian brother or sister for their interpretation of how to RP their character in our guild within the mechanics of the game.

Rhadyn da Dwarb
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 06/09/2005 12:44 AM CDT
Norm, you magic loving, shield using hippy, I shun you. I bet your sitting in your cantrip chair right now listening to that stomp'n'tumble (rock'n'roll) you kids call music.

>shun norm

Railz
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 06/09/2005 03:26 PM CDT
You're so square Cliffie. I'll bet the only magic you like is the kind that comes in mushroom form. Now take that silly dunce cap off and get back to work!

Rhadyn da Dwarb
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 06/09/2005 08:40 PM CDT
Warning, the following is nothing but my opinion, and since I haven't reached Godhood, no one is bound to agree with anything I say......yet.

<<What makes you think a Paladin has to be "honorable"? Have you never seen a Dark Paladin RPed in DR? I certainly have. And how about vigilante justice as opposed to law based justice? There are tons of ways to RP a Paladin that do not fall into the "normal" way of thinking about a Paladin. Same goes for a barbarian.

In my opinion that brings up an odd question. Is a thief who refuses to steal, a thief? How about a mage who refuses to use magic? What if I were to decide I didn't need Inner Fire at all and learned a couple hundred ranks of magic and never used any of our abilities, would I still be a barbarian? If you work against everything a guild was founded to do (or not do) can you really be considered part of that guild?

<<In the case of joining a guild, if it is allowable through game mechanics then it is allowable to guild leaders.

I believe I answered that question in one of my earlier posts. My response was, "just because its legal doesn't make it right." If the GMs decided to code it so that any thing they considered illogical or wrong were to be impossible, not only would you get a HUGE amount of code requiring upkeep and update, it would also probably be defeated by clever people rather quickly.

Or another way to think of it, ask yourself this, would any of the above, including dark paladins, etc., continue to be part of those guilds if the Guild Leaders were anything but mindless code constructs? Same with the guild patron gods, such as Chadatru. What would he do about dark paladins?

Or to take it even further, what is it that makes you part of a guild? The fact that you talked to a guild leader? What abilities you have access to? The skills you learn most easily?

My opinion it is upholding the ideals of your guild. In the real world, you'd have guild superiors and your fellow guildmates enforcing such things. But because of coding limitations and consent rules, it can't happen and so that's what we have.

<<However, I also think you should not force your views of what a barbarian is onto other barbarians through game mechanics. That isn't to say I think you are forcing your views, but OOC in this forum you appear to think other barbs that accept magic as a natural element of Elanthia life as being lower than you. IC that's fine, but not OOC in a forum. Voice your opinion all you want but don't fall prey to the logic that your way of thinking of the barb guild is "right" or the only way. If you admit that then we are completely in agreement.

I'm sorry if I come off as thinking myself superior for my stance. It's not how I mean to do it. The only people I consider myself superior to is those who either don't think about it from an RP standpoint or those who don't care. The rest of you I just violently disagree with. Its that "if its not illegal it's not wrong" viewpoint that gets me.

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 06/09/2005 08:56 PM CDT
<<In my opinion that brings up an odd question. Is a thief who refuses to steal, a thief? >>

He or she would still be a guilded professional thief, although a very unskilled one.

<<How about a mage who refuses to use magic?>>

He or she would still be a guilded mage, although an inept one.

<<What if I were to decide I didn't need Inner Fire at all and learned a couple hundred ranks of magic and never used any of our abilities, would I still be a barbarian?>>

You would still be a guilded Barbarian, although a very unskilled one because you would be limited to your Barbarian abilities that use inner fire for a while.

<<If you work against everything a guild was founded to do (or not do) can you really be considered part of that guild?>>

Yes, because you joined that guild. You choose to be either inept or skilled in that profession by your Barbarian's choice.

<<Or another way to think of it, ask yourself this, would any of the above, including dark paladins, etc., continue to be part of those guilds if the Guild Leaders were anything but mindless code constructs? Same with the guild patron gods, such as Chadatru. What would he do about dark paladins?>>

You can choose to role-play your character however you like, as was mentioned by Rhadyn.

<<Or to take it even further, what is it that makes you part of a guild? The fact that you talked to a guild leader? What abilities you have access to? The skills you learn most easily?>>

Yes.

<<My opinion it is upholding the ideals of your guild. In the real world, you'd have guild superiors and your fellow guildmates enforcing such things. But because of coding limitations and consent rules, it can't happen and so that's what we have.>>

"My opinion" is the critical point in this paragraph.

<<I'm sorry if I come off as thinking myself superior for my stance. It's not how I mean to do it. The only people I consider myself superior to is those who either don't think about it from an RP standpoint or those who don't care. The rest of you I just violently disagree with. Its that "if its not illegal it's not wrong" viewpoint that gets me.>>

No need to be sorry, Caraamon. It's just your opinion, so roll with how you want things to be fun for you. Good luck and have fun.

- Simon
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 06/09/2005 10:05 PM CDT
Well put Simon. And I too wish you to have fun IG, Caraamon. Uphold your ideals when you are in the realms. It's great to have something to RP with. I however, don't RP my barbarian the same way as you. Of course I'm more akin to a Paladin than to a Barbarian in how I train and RP but I just don't like the hastle of magic. I'm still 100% Barbarian as a character though.

We'll have to have an ale IG whenever we see each other. And then it'll be tackle time for you!

Rhadyn da Dwarb
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 06/09/2005 10:58 PM CDT
If you look around, there are quite a few barbarian NPCs: guild leaders, pit masters, bartenders, merchants, and others. I think if you take a look at them, you'll see some of the variety that is possible in the Guild. They, of course, are not the limits of variety either, but just an example or sampling.

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Liaison
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 06/10/2005 04:09 AM CDT
And do any of them get rezzed and/or healed by empaths? Not that I've seen. <g>

However, I do simply because it's way too much of a pain in the ass to work against game mechanics.

Auroch clamps his fist around your forearm and hauls you over for a merciless Barbarian greeting. Stifling a grimace, you wonder if you'll ever wield a weapon again.
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 06/10/2005 05:28 PM CDT
I think the only fair, barbarian way to settle this is to have Camaaron and Rhadyn fight. Whoever wins is right.

-Soog
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 06/11/2005 05:32 PM CDT
Sounds good to me but it might be a bit one sided of a fight ;-)

Brawler Rhadyn da Dwarb
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 06/13/2005 04:30 AM CDT
<<Sounds good to me but it might be a bit one sided of a fight ;-)

I agree, but given a moment to think, it's probably not my side.

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 06/14/2005 08:57 PM CDT
The whole conversation is making me nostaligic - I put together a Elothean Barb who, due to a tragic accident in his youth brought about by a failed spell, was hyper sensative to mana flows. (think 10,000 ranks in power perceptions - not supported by the mechanics, but good for RP). As a direct result, he was caused massive amounts of pain by being nearby channeled mana - natural mana flows didn't bother him, just mana which was being controlled in some fashion - ie spells and items. He was a blast to play, but he walked about 4 years ago... sigh. Anyway, my thoughts on the matter are as follows:

Folks should be allowed to play their Barb as they desire - if they want to study TM all day, that fine by me. However, the guild as a whole does seem to have a reasonably strong anti-magic trend, which to me would suggest that the majority of barbarians in said guild share a prejudice against magic. This is a trend that doesn't seem to be reflected in the majority of players, which I think is a shame. To tie into the thread's topic (grin) I would say that I think refusual to use gwenths or clerical magic would be a good tradition for most members of the guild to adhere too, but I don't expect it to ever obtain universal approval, or even common practice...
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 07/12/2005 07:36 PM CDT
Ask the Mer'kresh Guild leader about majik if I remeber right he's quite liberal about it.

What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Re: Here's one of my Traditions 07/13/2005 06:59 AM CDT
Ewww! Islands....<shudder>

Caraamon Majerye,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html