The Path of Least Resistance 10/17/2021 01:28 PM CDT
Okay, I had a thought about how to use the choosing of Barbarian Paths, which currently do nothing but are "permanent" if you make that mistake.

How about the following?

When you choose a Path it gives you a bonus to any weapons (we are the masters!) you use that have a specific flare on them when they proc. For example:

Bonus to weapon flare proc:
Horde - Frost/Electric
Flame - Fire/Radiant
Predator - Nature/Glitter

I know this would be a heavy lift to code but potentially, with the new barrier stuff coming out it could also provide a counter resistance (based on Arcana or IF skill?) to these types of specific attacks. You could then change your chosen Path, via a quest similar to Paladins with their holy weapons, once a year if desired.

Thoughts?

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: The Path of Least Resistance 10/18/2021 08:42 AM CDT
>>Thoughts?

I like the idea of paths giving a bonus, but wondering if it should be split up more by weapon types. Leaning this way for two reasons:

1) Weapon types are more clearly defined, while flares are still in flux (for example, there's now a Razor flare, too)
2) Only GM-created items, typically MT ones, have flares right now, which feels off for something like this. Players should be able to add flares to stuff so players aren't able to take advantage of their bonuses working on the weapons they like based on the whims of GMs deciding what flare types to add to specific weapon types (I figure players and GMs alike wouldn't enjoy requests like "Please release more 2HE weapons that have nature flares" or "Why do you keep releasing QS weapons with radiant flares when we need more frost weapons.")

That said, if there's an understandable interest to making stuff more flare-centric, maybe each path could provide a passive enchantment boost. Horde increasing proc rate, Flame increasing magnitude, Predator increasing something that gets developed someday because durability seems a bit weak.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: The Path of Least Resistance 10/18/2021 06:50 PM CDT
Interesting ideas.

It's tough though to think of weapon bonused unless you use the characteristics of the weapon itself as opposed to the skill they train. So, if the bonus was combined as follows it could make sense.

Horde: Blunts/Staffs
Flame: Edged/Pole
Predator: Ranged

Brawling, so sorry!

The problem is then players would go for the biggest bonus which would soon be known and just homogenize the guild even more, IMO.

Another idea, how about you choose a path and then MEDITATE PATH to imbue your held pole/melee weapon with Horde ice / Flame fire/ Predator nature damage... damage bonus is a proc with its level of increased damage based on IF (or that weapon's skill) and duration is based on utility (or augmentation) skill. I'm just trying to think of a way that paths augment weapons as we are supposed to be the weapon masters. Existing flare weapons could not be imbued via MEDITATE PATH.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: The Path of Least Resistance 10/19/2021 09:53 AM CDT
This changes up the idea a bit, but I always liked the idea of Barbarians getting a passive doublestrike ability that worked similar to weapon flares (the other end of this would be Paladins getting a passive counter ability similar to armor flares, but another thing entirely).

Something like "5 + (expertise skill/70)," so a Barb right out the gate with 0 expertise has a 5% passive chance to doublestrike, and a Barb with 1750 expertise has a 30% passive chance to doublestrike.

Path specialization would determine a bonus to the Barb's doublestrike:

Horde: bonus proc rate – that 5 in the formula becomes 10, pushing the chance for a doublestrike to cap at 35%
Flame: bonus damage - doublestrikes have a stronger "followthrough," causing it hit a bit harder
Predator: bonus piercing – some of the second strike has an innate armor bypasses

With the right math, each path would generally balance out, and it becomes a matter of "do I want to hit more", "do I want to hit harder", or "do i want my hit to break through better"

Of course, this also ruins the whole "here's a potentially quick way to have paths do a thing," since it's an entirely new ability concept that hooks into those bonuses.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.