Today I want to talk about Barb verbs 03/12/2018 02:56 PM CDT
Barbarian verbs. Those things that, if we're being frank, feel a bit childish.

I'm hoping this isn't a big development ask but could we have them attached to another verb to turn them off (and on, for those who want them)? Maybe BARB?

Barring that, could we simply have them removed?

Because they haven't lined up to the identity of the Guild for almost 15 years now. Barbarians started out with that uncivilized identity as the broad guild identity, but that stopped being the complete identity of the guild 'roundabout 2003. Everything about the current verb set represents a lack of self control, which is ridiculous when Barbarians are supposed to be masters of self control.

With that in mind, (and development being scarce), some suggested replacements if someone wants to be a hero:

KATA. I feel like KATA has been on the ask list for over a decade at this point. Maybe two. With your held weapon the Barbarian makes a weapon type appropriate display (like DANCE but specific to Barbarians). Check against appropriate mastery or weapon skill (it doesn't matter to most Barbs anyway, I'd wager). Skill breaks seem likely at 50/100/200/350/500/750/1000/1300/1600/1750 but I'd like to see it modified appropriately by Strength, Agility, and Discipline. There has to be someone willing to tackle this. I'll write all of the kata fluff myself if that's what it takes at this point. Seriously, if someone wants to take this on and wants creative help, email me.

SIGN (ADVANCE (TARGET)|RETREAT|MOVE (DIRECTION)|FLEE) is normally just fluffy but if the Barbarian is grouped, it can accomplish things.
I feel like ADVANCE seems self-explanatory, but on a successful Expertise check against the target it sets it as the default advancing target for their group. Something like: Barbarian chops their (weapon/hand) at a (critter), marking it as the next target.
Retreat would allow the Barbarian to force the group to retreat using the Barbarian's skills and attributes instead of their own; useful for babysitting in an invasion, for example. Something like: Barbarian whirls their (weapon/hand) over their head, signaling retreat.
Move is actually self-explanatory, the Barbarian simply points out a direction but in a Barbarian-appropriate way: Barbarian gestures to the (direction) with their (weapon/hand) as they move in that direction.
FLEE would let the Barbarian make an Athletics check for their entire group to flee. Caveats: Paladins and Barbarians wouldn't flee and this is the sort of ability that should require permission from the affected. So maybe it throws up a prompt the group can accept or decline. Sort of a more advanced version of RETREAT.

(SIGN is already in the game and would preempt SIGNAL, hence SIGN.)
Re: Today I want to talk about Barb verbs 03/12/2018 05:52 PM CDT
Which Barbarian verbs do you take umbrage with in particular?

Some of them are gross (belch/grunt) but I don't know that any convey a loss of control. I'm a big fan of the challenge verb, the handshake, and our dismantle. If you're not a fan of them I don't see any reason to turn them off. If someone wants to play big, gross Gor'Tog that's as valid as anyone playing an intelligent or finesse Barb.

I like the idea of katas, even as fluff verbs. Hakas would also be cool.
Re: Today I want to talk about Barb verbs 03/12/2018 07:10 PM CDT
Well, they're badly written in general.

They tell, not show, me what to think about the Barbarian. That's bad.

But yes, disgusting grunting and odious belching are two key ones. But I also think the handshakes aren't necessarily representative of the guild now as opposed to the guild in 1997.

I think HAKAs are a fine idea, probably makes sense to try those on for size as well.
Re: Today I want to talk about Barb verbs 03/15/2018 08:17 PM CDT
I'm still not understanding your point. You say barbarian verbs aren't representative of barbarians, but then you give no real examples that are used in RP or otherwise. A finesse barbarian wouldn't belch or grunt anyway. You want the generic versions of those verbs?

Then you turn around and ask for new barbarian verbs. Which is it? Do you want more barbarian verbs or hamstring all barbarian verbs.

We are barbarians after all, and barbarians do indeed have a reputation to uphold. Self control isn't one of them...berserk much? Tapping into our inner fire doesn't mean we are self controlled. It means we are self sufficient.

Please explain with specific examples so I can meet you half way or even all the way.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Today I want to talk about Barb verbs 03/15/2018 08:36 PM CDT
Most of the roleplay verbs have been around since the game's launch, and reflect the initial "me iz Barb!" mentality that can be found in stuff like belch/grunt and https://elanthipedia.play.net/Barbarian_Spell_Book,_The.

They are intentionally infantile, which is fine. I don't agree with removing them from the game, but...

>Self control isn't one of them...berserk much? Tapping into our inner fire doesn't mean we are self controlled.

This isn't accurate. We have a whole path now for more sophisticated prowess (Predator path), and messaging like Duelist mastery (" An expert at calculated planning and focus, the Duelist is a master at combat when the stakes are highest.."). Forms reflect very refined martial acuity, and meditations bring to mind (no pun intended) severe introspection and merging of mind and body into a singular martial consciousness. We can dual wield.

Basically, Barbarians aren't just the D&D berserks in Dragonrealms, they are also the de facto warrior class, and it would be nice to have some verbs like katas (martial training exercises to focus the mind) or hakas (war dance) to reflect this stuff.
Re: Today I want to talk about Barb verbs 03/15/2018 09:14 PM CDT
I started playing this game pre-Web (which it seems you have too) in 1996. Rhadyn is my first and only character I've played with a bit of dabbling with Gnadyn, a Gnome barb, when that race came out. In all that time I have NEVER even heard of, nor read, the Barbarian Spell Book. Again, what verbs are you talking about?

The Predator path is about whatever someone wants to RP it to be. A cheetah is a predator as well as a grizzly bear. One is finesse and one is rage. This doesn't take away from the barbarians finesse/rage RP decision.

You've made some good points about the D&D barbarian vs. warrior (fighter) concept. However, it seems what you really are asking for is more RP verbs that lean towards the finesse fighter barb. I can get behind that. I may have misunderstood from the first post where it appeared you wanted to rewrite ALL the barb verbs to be finesse as opposed to just adding new ones only. I agree there is room for both.

I can get behind the katas and hakas additional verbs.

Thanks for the clarification.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Today I want to talk about Barb verbs 03/15/2018 09:32 PM CDT
>You've made some good points about the D&D barbarian vs. warrior (fighter) concept. However, it seems what you really are asking for is more RP verbs that lean towards the finesse fighter barb. I can get behind that. I may have misunderstood from the first post where it appeared you wanted to rewrite ALL the barb verbs to be finesse as opposed to just adding new ones only. I agree there is room for both.

OP (Futility) did want the old verbs deleted, which doesn't make much sense to me, I agree with you. I just think there is precedent and it's time to get some more lore going.
Re: Today I want to talk about Barb verbs 03/16/2018 01:18 PM CDT
Sorry I confused you and the OP. I blame old age...

BTW I'm starting a D&D game this Sunday and I'm playing a Dwarven Fighter. I feel like I'm cheating on a spouse as I should have been a Dwarb!

I like the thought of getting some more lore going. How do you think we can go about this? Count me in!

Re: Today I want to talk about Barb verbs 03/16/2018 01:38 PM CDT
1) I always felt it was silly that so many "gross" verbs were restricted to Barbarians.
2) It feels like the better solution to moving people's perception away from Barbarians being gross farty beasts is to expand the types of actions that represent what a Barbarian can be, so any specific guild-specific action isn't an implicit indication of what the guild should be.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Today I want to talk about Barb verbs 06/11/2018 09:34 PM CDT
Everything about the Barbarian screams self-control and self-mastery because that's the direction the guild was set on in, again, 2003 or so.

The majority of the berserks have messaging that represents the Barbarian exerting self-mastery to generate the desired outcomes. It's rage, yes, but it's controlled rage.

When Dragon Dance was originally implemented it was meant to impress upon users the idea that the Barbarian had reached a pinnacle of self-determination with their rage: You slowly center yourself, your mind growing quiet as a quickly building rage surges through your body, your limbs quaking with its boundless strength. A terrible roar of fury and bloodlust rips from your throat as the Form of the Dragon consumes you, only a thread of control fighting back the descent into a berserker's madness.

But as I mentioned the guild's direction moved on from the old premise of berserk monsters to something a bit more in line with more traditional fighters.

I mean Barbarians literally gain power from self-reflection in meditation. If that isn't self-mastery there is literally nothing in DR that represents the ideal.

Again, the verb modifications themselves are poorly written and out of line with the current standards. It's probably quicker and easier to simply remove the mods than it is to set up a verb to toggle them, and I'd prefer something be done rather than nothing.
Re: Today I want to talk about Barb verbs 06/11/2018 10:26 PM CDT
>Again, the verb modifications themselves are poorly written and out of line with the current standards.

Have you been to one of the bonfires recently? Some people playing their Gor'Tog Barbarians like those verbs a lot.

I'm with you, I like playing as a seasoned and battle-honed warrior instead of a belching nitwit, but I don't think we need to turn off verbs like we are hotfixing bugs.