Barb wish list 2.0 01/13/2017 12:52 PM CST

Wardogs- They are on every list
Warpaint that lets one paint on their armor
A container that lets a barb contain a roar until they release it
Barbs and rangers should be able to 'track' by the scent of their prey
Give barbs hoards similar to mages sects, covens, and cabals
Add purchasable animals for the arena's portcullis
Meditate blade tip or edge, or hammerface, depending, to become one with the weapon
Thx

Re: Barb wish list 2.0 01/14/2017 12:23 AM CST
Realistic:

1) Pathways re-structuring. I love the uniqueness of pathways but we might be better served opening it up to be more like spell prerequisites. In general basic/intro difficulty should have no more than 1-2 prereqs, advanced no more than 3, and expert no more than 4. Hard level caps (lvl 40/50/60/etc) can be put on specific abilities where needed.

2) Lower cost of masteries (I think ~3 spell slots per). Would also like to see their prereqs moved from 8 to 6. I feel like this is more in line with the magic 3.0 experience of making abilities accessible.

3) Cosmetic warpaint that lasts indefinitely, or doesn't fade till death.

4) Warstomp. I feel like we need a damage-dealing ability of some sort. The lack of a ranked skill in target magic will make this difficult but I think this needs to happen for the good of the game, development of skill-based non-magical "magic" attacks that do direct damage.

5) Barbarian-unique maneuvers based on expertise.

New stuff/personal wishlist:

1) Counterattack system to give offhand skill some practical use.

2) Ability to use enemy corpses to make totems. One per room with a few different choices, boosts inner fire regen rate or inner fire per kill, boost fatigue gain, etc. Would like to see some lore-based Barbarian equivalent of ritual foci, only using enemy corpses in true barbarian fashion.

I'll never say no to combat pets but I don't seem them being as effective as zombies or even guardian spirits, so I'd personally have that low on my priority list.
Re: Barb wish list 2.0 01/17/2017 10:27 AM CST

>Ability to use enemy corpses to make totems. One per room with a few different choices, boosts inner fire regen rate or inner fire per kill, boost fatigue gain, etc. Would like to see some lore-based Barbarian equivalent of ritual foci, only using enemy corpses in true barbarian fashion.

Haha, whoa, that is an awesome idea.
Re: Barb wish list 2.0 01/31/2017 02:05 PM CST
I just started a barbarian, so ignore this if it's off-base.

> 2) Lower cost of masteries (I think ~3 spell slots per). Would also like to see their prereqs moved from 8 to 6. I feel like this is more in line with the magic 3.0 experience of making abilities accessible.

If barbarians are on the magic system, why are masteries more than 1 spell slot? Why don't they only require magic skills and scholarship?
Re: Barb wish list 2.0 01/31/2017 02:55 PM CST
>If barbarians are on the magic system, why are masteries more than 1 spell slot? Why don't they only require magic skills and scholarship?

The existing masteries do considerably more than any single magic feat, so they should all cost multiple spell slots (except Templar, which is for rp purposes only).

Comparing them to magic feats is also difficult because of Barbs' unique interaction between abilities. Take Tribalist for example. If we take forms to be somewhat analogous to cyclical spells, then it's like the Efficient Channeling feat (1 slot). However forms are Barbs' "basic" abilities and we can stack up to five, so it's definitely more valuable than EC alone. It also reduces the passive regen reduction of forms though, which is sort of like giving Barbs a "bigger mana pool," so it's also Deep Attunement? And then it's + debilitation skill, so it's also Debilitation Mastery.

Hard to draw comparisons. Suffice to say, for Tribalist at least, 4 slots doesn't seem unreasonable. I do feel some of them are over-costed however, as Titan comes to mind. It lowers the maintenance cost of berserks (but not the start-up cost, which is the biggest chunk of IF cost for berserks). That one feels more like 2 slots to me.
Re: Barb wish list 2.0 01/31/2017 06:01 PM CST
>If barbarians are on the magic system, why are masteries more than 1 spell slot? Why don't they only require magic skills and scholarship?

In addition to what Diminishedangel posted, the mandate Kodius was given during barbarian development was not the mandate magic system was held to during it's 3.0 development.

Ergo different valuations and costs and effects. Overall, magic was allowed to be much more 'loose' because it was a joint effort, while barbarian magic was developed exclusively by Kodius.
Re: Barb wish list 2.0 02/02/2017 01:49 AM CST
>In addition to what Diminishedangel posted, the mandate Kodius was given during barbarian development was not the mandate magic system was held to during it's 3.0 development.
>Ergo different valuations and costs and effects. Overall, magic was allowed to be much more 'loose' because it was a joint effort, while barbarian magic was developed exclusively by Kodius.

I'm reluctant to simply declare this narrative as truth.

Still, some of the Barb abilities do seem over-costed. I remain reluctant to make direct comparisons since Barb abilities are much more inter-dependent than spells, so something like "increases inner fire regen from kills" could arguably be worth more than "increases mana regen." I think Barbs would benefit from a review of spell slot costs, either way. A couple of the abilities might even go up in slot cost, frankly.
Re: Barb wish list 2.0 02/02/2017 10:23 AM CST
They did do a slot review relatively recently (in dr dev time) and we got a few more slots out of it depending on the abilities we had chosen.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html