Requirement: Not wearing any armor
Ability: Turns the Barbarians entire body into hardened armor
Quality: Tier 4 Chain Armor/Covers all armor slots
Teaches: Chain Armor
Cost: 4
Path: Horde

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/16/2016 01:17 PM CDT
While I like the idea, gives us the monk flair in many other muds, I would honestly just save all the slots necessary for making it not suck, and get the ever decreasing in price and better statted armor that people like favre make.
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/16/2016 01:38 PM CDT
Fair enough. Could make it Tier 5 then. Also, if the Form was accessible early enough then it would be good for younger players who have burden problems.

I'm just throwing them out there as I think of them. Heh.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/16/2016 02:37 PM CDT
Yea, honestly, this idea might make an interesting paladin idea. Give them a monk path to pursue, a good diametrically opposed idea to all the plate and giant armor, maybe a natural defense nature or what not Granted, training armor would stink as the armor prime, so maybe clerics.
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/16/2016 06:12 PM CDT
Personally, I'd prefer something like this to encourage the use of the lighter armors in our guild. I am not a big fan of going armorless, but rather having our armor stats enhanced via either a form or meditation. I don't imagine barbarians rampaging around in heavier metals, but surely in the lighter ones I can see them being more hardened than most wearing such equipment. The thieves can have the hindrance perks!

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/17/2016 07:17 AM CDT

It's called DFREDUX in GSIV, breathed new life into the warrior class in that game. Whereas a non-warrior or someone who would train spells would have their arm lopped off, a fully trained warrior would only recieve a scratch. It really turned things around.

I would like it so that a Barb in no armor would recieve a large evasion bonus and some minor bonuses to weapon stats. Also would like to see a 'classic' berserk where the player loses control of the character for the duration in return for massive bonuses in strength, stamina, and attack speed.
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/17/2016 10:53 AM CDT
> I would like it so that a Barb in no armor would recieve a large evasion bonus and some minor bonuses to weapon stats

But that basically is cloth armor. That is the niche it is for and with hiders (or hey alter your cloth pants to be a loincloth) you can live that fantasy. This way you satisfy armor requirements, don't need fundamental engine changes to handle non-armor for players, and still get pretty much everything you want.
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/17/2016 11:15 AM CDT
Just a nit but AFAIK you can't alter a noun. If you have pants before an alteration they must be pants after.

Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/17/2016 11:16 AM CDT
>It's called DFREDUX in GSIV, breathed new life into the warrior class in that game. Whereas a non-warrior or someone who would train spells would have their arm lopped off, a fully trained warrior would only recieve a scratch. It really turned things around.

This is Tenacity in a nutshell.

Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/17/2016 11:23 AM CDT
> Just a nit but AFAIK you can't alter a noun. If you have pants before an alteration they must be pants after.

It depends on the alterer and situation from everything I've seen. With things like these templates, it probably is less likely as you pointed out but you still could just wear a loincoth and hide your cloth armor to have the similar effect.

Cloth armor's niche is pretty much exactly this concept of wearing almost nothing and relying on evasion and skill.
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/17/2016 11:45 AM CDT
Good point!

Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/17/2016 01:14 PM CDT

>This is Tenacity in a nutshell.

Eh, Tenacity is a pretty standard barrier I thought?

>It's called DFREDUX in GSIV, breathed new life into the warrior class in that game. Whereas a non-warrior or someone who would train spells would have their arm lopped off, a fully trained warrior would only recieve a scratch. It really turned things around.

This was all too similar to BMR, and I'm glad DR doesn't really have anything exactly like it. We have active skills that are great damage reducers! Toad, Tenacity, Contemplation, Monkey, Piranha, Python, Tornado, Anger!
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/17/2016 03:09 PM CDT
>>Eh, Tenacity is a pretty standard barrier I thought?

I don't know of another barrier that stops 99% of a single damage type (puncture in Tenacity's case).
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/17/2016 03:37 PM CDT
>I don't know of another barrier that stops 99% of a single damage type (puncture in Tenacity's case).

Thank Kuniyo we Barbs have something special and good then, eh?

Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/17/2016 04:02 PM CDT

>I don't know of another barrier that stops 99% of a single damage type (puncture in Tenacity's case).

... Ok, firstly, I had no idea Tenacity did that. The EPedia entry just says "Physical damage resistance."

Secondly, GaF? ES is an elemental damage barrier. PFE is an undead only damage barrier. But yes, if Tenacity is blocking almost all puncture, that's impressive and neat.
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/17/2016 06:25 PM CDT
>But yes, if Tenacity is blocking almost all puncture, that's impressive and neat

It's not just puncture. The poster is complaining because BS uses puncture and thinks that move is the only one Tenacity does this with. It does it with ALL physical damage no matter the source or type. It isn't an "I Win" button though. If a thief can land BS on an opponent the damage will stack up over time an the barb is dead. Alonso, I'm looking at you!

Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/17/2016 09:48 PM CDT
>>It's not just puncture. The poster is complaining because BS uses puncture and thinks that move is the only one Tenacity does this with. It does it with ALL physical damage no matter the source or type. It isn't an "I Win" button though. If a thief can land BS on an opponent the damage will stack up over time an the barb is dead. Alonso, I'm looking at you!

I'm actually going off what Raesh stated about it when he was in the middle of the barrier review awhile back. When the issue you are talking about with BS was brought up he looked at the code and said that it was negating almost all of an attacks puncture damage and didn't protect against other physical damage types as much as it should, and also stated it was going to be fixed (it's not supposed to work the way it is right now) within the barrier review.

I'm not bitter about the way it works right now, and if the Thief's BS related skills outclass your defense then it's still possible to punch through, but I've had BS attacks that should cause massive damage turned into light/good hits. It pretty much shuts down Thieves in PvP at the moment. At least you have something going for you guys.

PS: I think you guys need Alpha/DFA attacks or something to make you guys stand out with weapons more than you do right now. I'm just ready for the barrier review to happen for many reasons, Tenacity being one of them.
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/17/2016 10:42 PM CDT

A true berserk would do it imho. Total loss of control of character in exchange for rapid and devestating attacks.
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/17/2016 10:52 PM CDT
<If a thief can land BS on an opponent the damage will stack up over time an the barb is dead. Alonso, I'm looking at you!

Yes if a thief outclasses you they can keep doing it enough to make it kill you. That's not saying its not that OP. I've been on the backstabbing side of that and its pretty amusing, but meh. I play a thief and a barb the same skill range. Its a bit much, regardless if the damage can stack up over time because of the difference in skill. It like some other barriers I think should work like that one, but those should be short lived. MAF is another one that can take a decent hit, though not at that level. I think the solution to that is just put a CD on certain barriers. As well as a duration that fits what its doing. Guilds such as barbarians and thieves don't have much when it comes to barriers so maybe they need other longer lived barriers in conjunction with the shorter more hardcore types.
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/18/2016 12:29 AM CDT
>I'm actually going off what Raesh stated about it when he was in the middle of the barrier review awhile back. When the issue you are talking about with BS was brought up he looked at the code and said that it was negating almost all of an attacks puncture damage and didn't protect against other physical damage types as much as it should, and also stated it was going to be fixed (it's not supposed to work the way it is right now) within the barrier review.

>>and didn't protect against other physical damage types as much as it should

So the way you framed this is that it should be negating non-puncture type attacks as much as puncture attacks. Can you provide a link to Raesh' post please because we should be able to analyze it based on what was actually said.

Of course the barrier rewrite is under way, but for now, I don't see a different in how Tenacity works based on the attack type. It shuts down BS I'll give you that. But I get almost no damage physically in PVE after fighting for hours because of Tenacity. In PVP I get the same protection. I don't see a difference in the types of physical attacks.

I wonder if what Raesh may have meant was that Tenacity was negating the bonuses of BS as opposed to the puncture part of the attack itself. I'll wait to see your links to assess that though.

Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/18/2016 09:23 AM CDT
http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Barbarians/General%20Discussions%20-%20Barbarians/view/5651

I remembered wrong about where it was weak. It's weak against low amounts of puncture, but reduces large amounts of puncture more than it should. Either way, as you can see in that post it is not working as intended at the moment.

>>...but I would guess it's actually causing you to take a little extra damage from weak very low/no pierce attacks.

I took this part to mean that attacks that didn't do a lot of puncture damage, but did more slice/impact damage, were doing more damage than intended, but I could be wrong in that assessment.
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 04/18/2016 03:45 PM CDT
Good to know. Thanks for the insight. Live and learn.

Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 05/02/2016 09:27 PM CDT
A lot of us have a vastly different roleplaying / playing style than... say, half naked 7 foot Gor'Tog with a missing tooth.

I just don't think this is going to work for all of us. I'm 100% certain guilds are not supposed to enforce a certain cliche of an archetype to all of its members, and I'm afraid this kind of proposes that. There are many barbarian archetypes. Game of Thrones, for example, has Gregor Clagane; a gigantic warrior clad in plate/brigandine with a greatsword. In terms of DR, he would definitely be a barbarian.

Barbarians already suffer from what is plaguing the game; favoring lighter armor with as little hindrance as possible. Already a majority of us are clad in light chain and leather mostly, and prefer hiding as opposed to wearing plate/brigandine. I don't think enforcing that to ALL guild members is a smart idea.
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 05/03/2016 10:55 AM CDT
>A lot of us have a vastly different roleplaying / playing style than... say, half naked 7 foot Gor'Tog with a missing tooth.

Of course you are correct. You are talking to a dwarf that played in Plate and used a shield since the beginning...and I do mean beginning of the game. However, from an SOI perspective, Barbarians are pushed into Light/Chain armors. That's the way it is. When I role play I don my Dwarven plate armor, Dwarven greathelm and carry my Dwarven warsword. However, when hunting I'm more realistic about what armor I wear.

This was just a suggestion for another set of abilities. No one is forced to take any ability over another unless they like it (except maybe Powermonger).

You make some good points that should spur all of us to think outside of the stereotype about barbarians. What would you like to see for an ability or mastery?

Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 05/03/2016 11:35 AM CDT
No offense to Kodius, and I am sure a lot may disagree, but it seems to me that the state our guild is in right now is not exactly achieved through careful planning and determined balancing, but more of a byproduct from overall systemic changes from DR 2.0 to what we have right now. I'm not saying we are in the WORST position, Paladins and Traders barely saw any development in the past 5 years, if at all. However due to some changes I feel that we are losing our guild identity.

You are absolutely right when you say barbarians are pushed towards lighter armor, but I feel like that sort of jeopardizes one of our guild niches. Being armor secondary, we should be able to comfortably wear brigandine, but the hindrance benefit is negligible that even someone who likes to roleplay in heavier armor just go straight to plate armor. I used to wear brigandine as a newbie, and even as a newbie, I quickly saw no reason to keep wearing it, and just moved to plate armor.

From what I gather, It seems to me that barbarians are supposed to embody masters of combat. Being primary weapons, I think we are already filling that niche(Although the perk that comes with it is... underwhelming at best). However, it's the 'disdains magic' part that's suffered the most in the past few years. With BMR gone, and various anti-magic abilities being only somewhat viable against weaker or similarly matched foes with hundreds of hours spent in training warding, I don't think we are any more 'resistant' to magic than any other guild. Other guilds have their own toys, do they not?

Which leads me to mention the Templar mastery. Maybe it could get an upgrade in some way at the cost of more slots?
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 05/03/2016 11:53 AM CDT
Sorry for double-posting, and this might be derailing the thread.

I usually hunt in plate/chain armor. I wear a full plate, with a visored helm, and chain gloves/aventails. I haven't personally reached the end game yet where I have to face wyverns and such, but so far this set up worked for me. It really requires a completely different play style, you will be relying less on dodge, but more on parrying and blocking. Since your hindrance is going to be terrible, there is no benefit using a well balanced weapon, but a weighted, well suited one. Tenacity almost becomes a must, because you will be seeing a lot of glancing blows, and tenacity ensures that none of them leaves a wound.

I've done a lot of readings on the combat forums, especially regarding plate armor. It looks to me that the general consensus among the GMs is that plate armor and their hindrance works as is, and players are not herded into wearing light armor any more than we think we are. I originally thought that statement was not really accurately portraying what's going on within the game, but after some experiment with fully weighted kadepa full plate, I sort of agree with them now. Plate armor can also be made light; light lumium plate with minmum density is better than light/chain armor with the similar price tag. If you have decent ranks in plate armor, you'll see minimum hindrance.

I just thought this needed to be clarified. Again, I don't know about end game, but from where I am standing it we aren't really 'forced' to wear light armor. Especially since we are armor secondary. I just wish brigandine was slightly more attractive to barbarians (and traders).
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 05/03/2016 02:56 PM CDT
Right now Paladins (of course), Rangers and Traders have Brigandine in their SOIs. The armor secondaries, it appears are only give four armor skills in SOI. I would like to see this increased to five with tert armor guilds getting two instead of one. For me, I wouldn't want to "trade" shield or defending from our set to pick up brigandine however. I do like the thought of wearing it or plate and find it completely viable to hunt in after hunting a critter for awhile (middle of their teaching range). For PVP however, brigandine and plate are killers and just not viable options.

Agree with both your posts!

Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 05/03/2016 03:27 PM CDT

Huh, odd - I don't feel we're super pushed towards lighter stuff. I wear brig and rotate all, but Contemplation is an armor buff, and our only 'pro-lighter armors' ability is Panther, for stealth. But since I main a Necromancer, I didn't want to train stealth on my barb (probably a mistake, but, meh), so went with heavier armors. Given how strong the barb is relative to other characters, I feel this worked out pretty well, despite the games general push towards lighter armors and more evasion.

As it is, being able to buff parry/evasion/reflex as forms is a pretty nice suite of defensive buffs (piranha python monkey). Perhaps if +shield wasn't a berserk I'd use it more.

I try and keep Contemplation up, but haven't done much testing with it. I like having the capacity to buff just about every offensive and defensive 'thing', even if the way it's spread means I probably won't do it all at once.
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 05/03/2016 03:43 PM CDT
>>Huh, odd - I don't feel we're super pushed towards lighter stuff.

I've always viewed it more as people traditionally seeing evasion as king and anything with hindrance stopping evasion from being super-effective.

If this was still 2.0, I'm pretty sure hindrance influenced dance effectiveness, so some older Barbarians might be focused on lighter stuff more from that tradition.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 05/03/2016 04:42 PM CDT
It is a soft push to lighter armors. Contemplation gives a bonus to armor skill so it caps at 20% for Light Armor and Chain Armor. While capping at 15% for Brigandine Armor and Plate Armor.

Maybe adding two additional masteries for a cost of one to allow changing Armada from chain to brigandine or plate? They would require you to have Armada though. Just a thought.

Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 05/03/2016 05:15 PM CDT
>>It is a soft push to lighter armors. Contemplation gives a bonus to armor skill so it caps at 20% for Light Armor and Chain Armor. While capping at 15% for Brigandine Armor and Plate Armor.

A very soft push. At 1000 ranks, and max potency, the difference is only 50 ranks between the two (200 vs. 150), and at 1750 ranks it's less than 100 ranks difference (350 vs. 262).

Hinderance will cap ~400 ranks and if the small gap of buffed ranks made the difference between getting full use of the protection stats, or not getting full use, then the much higher absorption of brig/plate would more than make up for the small loss. This is assuming that all armor skills were equal.

I agree with Tev that a lot of it probably has to do with the way the game used to be, and how people approach combat. Shield has supplanted Evasion as the must use defensive skill now, and Kodius has made it clear that plate armor can make characters nearly invincible. Armor choice for Barbs should really come down to play style and not SoI, because even a 15% buff is better than none.
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 05/03/2016 08:10 PM CDT
<I agree with Tev that a lot of it probably has to do with the way the game used to be, and how people approach combat. Shield has supplanted Evasion as the must use defensive skill now, and Kodius has made it clear that plate armor can make characters nearly invincible. Armor choice for Barbs should really come down to play style and not SoI, because even a 15% buff is better than none.

This, and also that barbarians are survival secondary which means they have the ability to be somewhat stealthy. I think most people play on that note, though, stealth isn't exactly what it used to be. So having low stealth hindrance isn't really a problem anymore.
Re: Barbarians Dancing in Loincloths 05/04/2016 08:53 PM CDT
All I know is if hindrance gets too out of control at level, you get smashed up pretty badly... even with tenacity and contemplation.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade