Barbarian Strike 04/09/2016 02:01 PM CDT
...no, not a mass refusal of barbarians to play. The other kind of strike...hit forcibly and deliberately with one's hand or a weapon or other implement.

I've been thinking about our need for some type of Alpha Strike, or DFA attack of some sort. I'm thinking this may be a way to incorporate choosing a path as well. Here are my thoughts.

What if when you choose a path you then have access to a strike that, when coupled with a specific form + berserk from that path, bypasses a defense. Also it procs when you successfully defend an attack with a specific defense: evasion/parry/shield.

Path: Horde
Proc: Strike becomes available when you successfully parry an attack. Available for 6 seconds.
Combat Prereqs: You must be using form Python and berserk Wildfire at the time
Strike: This attack bypasses parry attempt by opponent.
Cooldown: 60 seconds

Path: Flame
Proc: Strike becomes available when you successfully evade an attack. Available for 6 seconds.
Combat Prereqs: You must be using form Monkey and berserk Tsunami at the time
Strike: This attack bypasses evasion attempt by opponent.

Path: Predator
Proc: Strike becomes available when you successfully block and attack. Available for 6 seconds.
Combat Prereqs: You must be using form Piranha and berserk Tornado at the time
Strike: This attack bypasses shield block attempt by opponent.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Barbarian Strike 04/09/2016 02:11 PM CDT

Horde seems to be at a disadvantage since it can only proc at melee and bypasses what I think is the least used defense.

Would a barbarian be able to learn more than one reasonably?

Describe an attack that by passes evasion, an attack that bypasses shield and an attack that bypasses parry.
Re: Barbarian Strike 04/09/2016 02:20 PM CDT
Sounds good to me! More weapon/combat options ftw! Though, to be fair, these abilities sound a bit like they are 'defensive perks'? Perhaps something like reactionary abilities would be better suited for Paladins?

Barb Strike to me sounds like it should be focused on something purely offensive, maybe a special attack with a set of perks to go with it (DoT, DaT, AoE, multi location, etc)?
Re: Barbarian Strike 04/09/2016 04:24 PM CDT
I swear I've been meaning to write up just such a suggestion and call it Riposte.

Basically you should build charge by defending from attacks, which you can then unleash into specific attacks. It would be a nice secondary damage pathway that might be able to compensate for not being able to use magic.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Barbarian Strike 04/14/2016 10:00 PM CDT
I've been thinking even more about this. I don't think I like the form + berserk from a specific path concept. Maybe something like this.

Choose a path. For example Predator.
Now the following bonus is given to you (non-combat abilities don't count).
For Melee -
1 ability active from Predator path: Strike (DRAW damage)
3 abilities active from Predator path: Strike (DRAW damage X 2)
3 abilities active from Predator path: Strike (DRAW damage X 3)
4 abilities active from Predator path: Strike (DRAW damage X 4)
5 abilities active from Predator path: Strike (DRAW damage X 5)
For Thrown -
1 ability active from Predator path: Chuck (LOB damage)
2 abilities active from Predator path: Chuck (LOB damage X 2)
3 abilities active from Predator path: Chuck (LOB damage X 3)
4 abilities active from Predator path: Chuck (LOB damage X 4)
5 abilities active from Predator path: Chuck (LOB damage X 5)
For Ranged (no dual load)-
1 ability active from Predator path: Release (FIRE damage)
2 abilities active from Predator path: Release (FIRE damage X 2)
3 abilities active from Predator path: Release (FIRE damage X 3)
4 abilities active from Predator path: Release (FIRE damage X 4)
5 abilities active from Predator path: Release (FIRE damage X 5)

30-60 second cool down on the ability.

Or we could make the different paths focus on a different weapon type and use the above to augment specialization when choosing a path.
Horde - Edged (puncture/slice weapons of all types)
Flame - Blunt (impact weapons of all types) NOTE: I choose Blunts here because otherwise everyone would choose it I believe.
Predator - Ranged (Ranged and Thrown weapons of all types)

I don't know about the verbs but you get the gist. Thoughts?

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Barbarian Strike 04/15/2016 01:22 AM CDT

Definitely like your second idea a lot more than the first. The idea of actually choosing a path and then using abilities from said path which grant a bonus/attack to XXXX sounds pretty nice and gives meaning to choosing whichever path. I would just hope there would be some way to change paths, not often, maybe a limit of like once a month or every few months, I really really dislike the whole permanent choice thing like we have with crafting careers/hobbies. Today you might love choosing the Predator Path but in a year you might be really tired of it and want to go a different route.
Re: Barbarian Strike 04/16/2016 01:36 PM CDT
Would like to see those moves added to each path themselves, so we could pick and choose to have them all and be offensive focused, or none for the defensive players. Also, would be fun to have those skills use up inner fire, and be repeatable, and each additional use consumes ever increasing inner fire within a period of time from the first usage. Give us the feeling of going into a frenzy on an opponent when we thing we have the advantage or the chance to achieve victory.