In 3...2...1....... 07/12/2014 07:37 PM CDT
I am preparing to pull the switch on forgetting. Just in case folks need to get any last-minute re-arranging taken care of!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/12/2014 09:34 PM CDT
Just curious what the deal is going to be for plat. There wasn't any notification on whether or not the new zerks were put in, and I'm a little confused as to where we are.
Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/12/2014 11:32 PM CDT
I'll allow you the ability to unlearn everything for a few days. Then I'll lock it back down.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/18/2014 10:44 AM CDT

Are we going to be actually wiped? Or should we go unlearn everything ourselves and make our careful decisions?
Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/18/2014 11:18 AM CDT
We're not going to be wiped, and that was the countdown to unlearn everything at once the easy way. Pretty sure youre restricted to unlearning one skill a month or so now, so pretty much no hope at changing anything beyond the top tier of your abilities around unless you spend months building empty slots unlearning things from the top on back.
Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/18/2014 08:04 PM CDT
>>so pretty much no hope at changing anything beyond the top tier of your abilities around unless you spend months building empty slots unlearning things from the top on back.

Correct, just like the rest of the Guilds. If it is any consolation I'll probably add methods for respecing into the game via other means before too long.

Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/18/2014 08:43 PM CDT
>>Correct, just like the rest of the Guilds.

Not correct. But you've been told that before. And simply ignored it.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/18/2014 10:00 PM CDT
>so pretty much no hope at changing anything beyond the top tier of your abilities around unless you spend months building empty slots unlearning things from the top on back.

>Correct, just like the rest of the Guilds.

>Not correct. But you've been told that before. And simply ignored it.

How is it not correct? A magic user can forget 1 spell every 30 days in TC. 1 spell is worth 1-5 spell slots. Barbarians can forget 1 ability every 30 days. 1 ability is worth 1-5 ability slots.

Barbarians don't even have to go to TC, they can use any guild leader.

Thieves don't even get that option. Everyone else uses the same core mechanics (except traders, obviously).
Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/18/2014 10:30 PM CDT
>>Thieves don't even get that option.

Not sure if you meant Thieves couldn't unlearn khri at all, or if you meant they couldn't do it with any guild leader. To be clear, under the new khri system they can unlearn a khri from the same guild leader that taught it to them.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Magic, Sentients Team Member
Cleric Advocate
Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/18/2014 11:39 PM CDT
>>Not correct. But you've been told that before. And simply ignored it.

Well to be fair I wasn't calling out thieves. If thieves can unlearn Khri an unlimited number of times, that probably needs to be adjusted at some point.

Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/19/2014 02:50 AM CDT
<<A magic user can forget 1 spell every 30 days in TC. 1 spell is worth 1-5 spell slots. Barbarians can forget 1 ability every 30 days. 1 ability is worth 1-5 ability slots.

Unless it has changed in the last couple of years magic users can forget 1 spell every 180 days for free, 1 spell every 90 days by paying platinum, and as many spells as desired otherwise by paying both platinum and TDPs. The TDP cost is not negligible or refundable barring a complete respec of all TDPs earned like what happened with DR 3.0.

The barbarian system of one ability every month seems much less painful, tbh.
Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/19/2014 06:37 AM CDT
>>How is it not correct? A magic user can forget 1 spell every 30 days in TC. 1 spell is worth 1-5 spell slots. Barbarians can forget 1 ability every 30 days. 1 ability is worth 1-5 ability slots.

If you look at magic users spells vs Barbarians abilities as trees, the magic users have a much broader, but shallower tree, when compared to Barbarians. The Barbarian tree is very narrow, but deep.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/19/2014 09:05 AM CDT
>>If you look at magic users spells vs Barbarians abilities as trees, the magic users have a much broader, but shallower tree, when compared to Barbarians. The Barbarian tree is very narrow, but deep.

This. Take other magic-tert guilds for example. Say, Rangers. They have 3 spells with 3 prereqs, 2 of which are unlocked with the same exact ability progression. We have abilities and feats with 7 and 8 prereqs. It allows for much less wiggle room in the end of the day, period.

Bards are the same way, the vast majority of their stuff is 1 or 2 prereqs, with some of their most powerful abilities being near the bottom of their tree.
Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/19/2014 09:32 AM CDT
initially i was in the camp that was worried about the way the skill tree was mapped for barbs and respec problems. I think they are addressing this issue through various respec type options down the road. I wouldn't freak out about it for now.

there are ways to forget early skills you just have to work around the system as implemented. It is not as overbearing as it seems at first. It may require patience and adding a skill only to drop it a month later, but such is life. I don't really think allowing complete wipes all the time is great game design.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/19/2014 10:09 AM CDT

>> I don't really think allowing complete wipes all the time is great game design.

Just to clarify, this is not what I'm after, was just pointing out the fact that the boat we are in is quite dissimilar to the other guilds.
Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/19/2014 01:03 PM CDT
The boat we are in isn't exactly hitting an iceberg and sinking either. Let's just all agree that cleric, bards and TM should be nerfed and move on.

Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/19/2014 02:08 PM CDT
This is getting off topic. Please stop the GvG ranting.

Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/19/2014 02:29 PM CDT
Sorry that was a joke, truth is our abilities aren't as hard to respec as I thought.

Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/19/2014 06:59 PM CDT
I disagree, Buuwl. Given the current system, it's a huge, obnoxious pain in the buttocks to change up some of our abilities. I am not a fan of pretending things are cool when they are not. However, that said, hopefully Kodius' other ideas for respecs will help alleviate this issue so long as they come soon. I definitely feel limited with the forget one ability every thirty days connected to an 8 requirement deep ladder. Our abilities are rather costly and now annoying to rearrange.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/19/2014 07:34 PM CDT
IM NOT PRETENDING! I'd never pretend, pretending is called RP around here you IGNORANT CLOWN!

Truth tho squants its not that bad. Basically to add and drop a skill it takes 60 days instead of 30 since you have to drop something then add something else so you can drop something a month later, to add what you may or may not really want. Its not the end of the world.

I do still love you, but its moving towards a purely physical love.

Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/19/2014 08:39 PM CDT
<<But if you need a tier 1 skill, you have to remove like 7 things (seven months), because your current tier 1 skill is required to have the tier 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 things. You'd have to remove the 8th one month, the 7th the next, etc. You cannot have the 8th one without the 1st one. It is not as simple as it may sound.

Or if you know you want to be able to change up lower level slots relatively frequently 'spend' one slot on that. I.e. always leave a slot free. That way you just learn the other ability you want then forget the one you don't since all that matters for high tier abilities is the number of abilities known, not which ones. Consider the slot to be a feat.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/19/2014 08:50 PM CDT
I removed my post because I realized the error of my thinking (thanks to Telutci). Remove tier 8, learn new tier 1 on first forget cycle. Forget old tier 1 and relearn old 8 on new cycle... IF you have enough slots left. Thus, I guess I am with Buuwl after all and feel it is not so bad. Also, I hope he and I can move beyond just physical again due to this.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/19/2014 09:07 PM CDT
<But if you need a tier 1 skill, you have to remove like 7 things (seven months), because your current tier 1 skill is required to have the tier 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 things.>

Not necessarily, you just need to add another ability to make up the requirement first. The requirement in effect at this point is the eight ability count, not your tier. Once you have added an additional ability then you should be free to drop your tier 1 ability.

For example:
You have the following abilities in the Path of the Predator:
Seek
Eagle
Tornado
Flashflood
Piranha
Owl
Panther
Slash the Shadows
Tribalist

I decide I want Everild's Rage instead of Seek. I can just pick up Everild's Rage first and then forget Seek. If you're already at 150th it makes it a little more difficult because you may not have any training slots left. Then, you would have to forget your highest requirement ability first (in this case, Tribalist), learn Everild's Rage, wait 30 days, forget Seek, and then learn Tribalist again.
Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/20/2014 12:23 AM CDT
Squanto.... And Iiiiiiiiiiiii will always love you uuuuuuu, although let's be honest kostner really dropped the ball at the end of the day. One job! You had ONE job to do Kostner.

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.ht
Re: In 3...2...1....... 07/20/2014 08:17 AM CDT
<3 u, 2. I really feel we've come a long way in this thread in a short time.