Re: Guild Status Update 12/09/2010 01:08 PM CST
Sounds great, glad to hear so much progress is being made. I assume most of it will have to wait until the new combat and magic 3.0 are released in order to go live?

>>We have decided to add a new, Barbarian-Only skill in the Weapon Skillset. This will be a primary skill used to power Fighting Style attacks and maneuvers. Fighting styles will unlock new finishing moves, fire-and-forget attacks, warhorn rally cries and more.

This sounds very awesome, can't wait to hear more about it and all the rest.

I generally try not to get anxious or heavily anticipate future releases, but I'm making this stuff an exception.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Guild Status Update 12/09/2010 01:17 PM CST
Awesome! Thanks for the update and the exciting info.
Re: Guild Status Update 12/09/2010 01:20 PM CST
Wow you been busy. Can't wait.

Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax
Re: Guild Status Update 12/09/2010 02:16 PM CST
Thanks for the update

Player of Drevid and Jhaval

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: Guild Status Update 12/09/2010 02:34 PM CST
Ideally the bulk of the Barbarian Guild will get released in tandem with the Magic changes. It should make for one heckuva crazy release week! Prior to that releases on the Test server will be done to ensure stability.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Guild Status Update 12/09/2010 04:58 PM CST
>We have decided to add a new, Barbarian-Only skill in the Weapon Skillset. This will be a primary skill used to power Fighting Style attacks and maneuvers. Fighting styles will unlock new finishing moves, fire-and-forget attacks, warhorn rally cries and more.

My response to this caused everyone in the house to come running.

Then go running away.

I don't dance well.

"Your suffering amuses me" -GM Raesh

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Guild Status Update 12/09/2010 06:27 PM CST
This stuff sounds really, really cool.
Re: Guild Status Update 12/09/2010 06:55 PM CST
Thanks for the update, Kodius.

Was the skill added for a specific reason, or more to even up the bonus skills for guilds?
Re: Guild Status Update 12/10/2010 05:40 AM CST
Sounds great to me, might make me wake my barb up and stop playing my nec all the time.

>>fire-and-forget attacks

Only time I think I've ever heard this term used is with regards to missiles (Fire-and-Forget missiles have their own radar targeting system and once fired, they don't require the firing entity to maintain a lock on the target for the missile to hit it's target. Most modern missiles are of this variety. The AIM-7 sparrow is a notable exception). I'm interested to see how the term is employed in this sense (delayed damage maneuver, DOT attacks?).
Re: Guild Status Update 12/10/2010 12:17 PM CST
To the people who are happy about our changes (whether in belief we'll be better or worse off):

Mark my words. We are going to be some complete monsters in combat, even more so than we are now. With more skills to train and greater versatility (for forms + roars + berserks), as well as the fix to dragon/bmr, there will be a lot of bandwagoners. :D

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Guild Status Update 12/10/2010 02:59 PM CST
<<fire-and-forget attacks>>

I'm officially naming the first one 'Ronco Showtime Attack.'

<<Mark my words. We are going to be some complete monsters in combat, even more so than we are now. With more skills to train and greater versatility (for forms + roars + berserks), as well as the fix to dragon/bmr, there will be a lot of bandwagoners. :D>>

Vin is so cute when he's optimistic. :D (Clerics and Bards are still more OP)

GM Jaedren
Re: Guild Status Update 12/10/2010 03:12 PM CST
<<and Bards are still more OP

Say wha?!

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: Guild Status Update 12/10/2010 03:16 PM CST
>>(Clerics and Bards are still more OP)

Maybe in Combat 3.0 and Magic 3.0 lol

I'm crossing my fingers :)

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Guild Status Update 12/10/2010 03:47 PM CST
>>Vin is so cute when he's optimistic. :D (Clerics and Bards are still more OP)

Haha yes, yes they are!

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Guild Status Update 12/10/2010 05:09 PM CST
Bleh, time to re-roll...

Clerics are on the sectual radar.

Just to be clear - I didn't do it. Not sure who did, but it wasn't me.

- GM Raesh
Re: Guild Status Update 12/10/2010 08:26 PM CST
What Vin was saying is that Barbarians will be where they always are: not at the top, but definitely not languishing in the middle or bottom of the pack, either.

It's a fair assessment, at nearly any time, to say that Barbarians are in the Top 3 guilds in the game.
Re: Guild Status Update 12/10/2010 10:57 PM CST
Barbarians also have the advantage of fighting at full strength in any room. They can handle sustained, all-out, full-power combat longer than most other guilds even if they aren't the single top 1v1 guild. Casters can't throw capped spells in rapid succession for long at a time. My barb can run blood, stone, and nightmare indefinately if he remain in combat and killing, and those abilities aren't room-dependent (in most cases).
Re: Guild Status Update 12/11/2010 08:31 AM CST
It's not really about being the best 1v1 guild. It's about being among the most capable in combat, even if not at the top. I've always thought Barbs should be extremely capable and able to adapt to many combat situations (somewhat true now but could be way better). Why? Because compared to other guilds... combat is all we got. We don't get all the amazing utility/non-combat stuff that's out there.

-GM Abasha
Re: Guild Status Update 12/11/2010 09:01 AM CST
Forging bonus...until lore split...
Re: Guild Status Update 12/11/2010 07:09 PM CST
>>Because compared to other guilds... combat is all we got.

Hey Kodius,

Will Barbarians be renamed to something less self-deprecating someday? Or at least actually integrated into the world lore whatsoever?
Re: Guild Status Update 12/11/2010 07:37 PM CST
<<Will Barbarians be renamed to something less self-deprecating someday? Or at least actually integrated into the world lore whatsoever?>>

Huh?

GM Jaedren
Re: Guild Status Update 12/11/2010 08:31 PM CST
I don't think the RL connotations of the "Barbarian", "Barbaric", or other such terms relating to "the culture of the uncivilized" can really be applied here.
Re: Guild Status Update 12/12/2010 01:20 AM CST
>>Huh?

DEVAN is smarter than I am, so his point may have gone over my head, but I think I know what he's talking about.

>>Will Barbarians be renamed to something less self-deprecating someday?

I've never had a problem with the guild name, though I'd like to have some more lore about how it came to be called that. We obviously have some hints already about that.

To me it's always smacked of being a name imposed on the guild in its youth by outsiders. This is much the same way that most art movements got their name (examples: baroque, rococo, etc.). I can completely imagine some members of the older guilds looking down their nose and sneeringly dubbing the then-upstart guild as the Barbarians. It would sort of fit the tenor of the guild if they just accepted the pejorative name and decided to own it.

>>Or at least actually integrated into the world lore whatsoever?

And I kind of agree with this. We have fairly recently gotten more information about the history of the guild, but it's still very rare to look at the lore/history of Kermoria and see where the Barbarian guild has made an impact the way various flavors of mages have, etc. By way of example, a single war mage blew up the entire Wind Clan of S'Kra, while any epic slaughters brought about by barbarians have apparently not often been recorded in the history books, or at least not attributed to the guild itself.

Enough rambling from me for now.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Guild Status Update 12/12/2010 04:32 AM CST
>By way of example, a single war mage blew up the entire Wind Clan of S'Kra,

This is kind of a bad example, since this was not so much a 'feat' as it was an Epic Fail, and not in the pop culture cliche sense.

~ Kougen

>loot treasure
You search the s'sugi malchata.
The malchata was carrying 7 copper coins, 7 bronze coins, and 7 silver coins!
Re: Guild Status Update 12/12/2010 04:41 AM CST
My point wasn't that it showed how great WMs are, though. The point was that it was singled out in the history book that talks about it, saying specifically that it was a War Mage that did it. I haven't gone back to fact check, but I'm almost certain the same book doesn't even contain the word Barbarian. A great many history/lore books don't. That was what I was getting at.

Some guilds have book upon book of lore specific to their guild, others don't so much. Barbarians aren't totally unique in the dearth of guild backstory, but I'd put them solidly toward the bottom of the bottom 1/3 or so.

Ogdaro
Re: Guild Status Update 12/12/2010 06:36 AM CST
>>Some guilds have book upon book of lore specific to their guild, others don't so much. Barbarians aren't totally unique in the dearth of guild backstory, but I'd put them solidly toward the bottom of the bottom 1/3 or so.

I thought one of Aurdun's big things he did was basically write the entire guild history, but based on the nature of both the guild & that history he decided it was more of an oral tradition thing and so wasn't going to put it in a book in the Crossing library called Barbarism 101.

~Thilan
Re: Guild Status Update 12/12/2010 11:08 AM CST
>>I thought one of Aurdun's big things he did was basically write the entire guild history, but based on the nature of both the guild & that history he decided it was more of an oral tradition thing and so wasn't going to put it in a book in the Crossing library called Barbarism 101.

This is no way invalidates the idea that Barbarians have no place in much of established Kermorian history. There's no mention of Barbarian heroes (most of them are, incidentally, Warrior Mages). You might understand it if we were a secretive guild like Thieves, but we're not. At some point someone probably should have recorded the epic feats of Barbarians, but it's not part of the current game's lore.

We don't even know a whole lot about our individual guild leaders' histories. How'd they earn their positions?

As for the name, it has sort of worn thin. When we were war dancers and uncouth savages briefly back when, it made sense. Now we're something different. I'd rather avoid something generic like Warrior or Fighter, but then you begin to get into gender-specifics, like Armsman. Really, in all consideration, Barbarians encompass everything from berserkers to warrior monks, so it's really hard to place us without getting generic. I thus suggest Champion.

In the context of Kermorian lore and the reality of the guild, it makes sense.
Re: Guild Status Update 12/12/2010 12:12 PM CST
>>DEVAN is smarter than I am, so his point may have gone over my head, but I think I know what he's talking about.

No, you got it.

There's one extra piece tying them together, and it's a very common problem: Without a rich cultural history, it's extremely hard to break out of a stereotype. It's true that Barbarians are very, very combat-focused. It's true that that's all they have. And it's also true that it's very hard to keep this game balanced while carving a niche out for Barbarians.

To give answer to this, I would have said, "Well, look back into your guild history," or "Reinterpret your guild's name." With Paladins, for instance, I've long argued that they should focus on leadership, not tanking. That was inspired by the RL definition of a paladin.

>>I can completely imagine some members of the older guilds looking down their nose and sneeringly dubbing the then-upstart guild as the Barbarians. It would sort of fit the tenor of the guild if they just accepted the pejorative name and decided to own it.

This makes more sense to me than "let's ignore the RL definition".

>>I thought one of Aurdun's big things he did was basically write the entire guild history, but based on the nature of both the guild & that history he decided it was more of an oral tradition thing and so wasn't going to put it in a book in the Crossing library called Barbarism 101.

There was a fun Paladin book released a few years back that was a recording of a sampling of oral tradition. This one if you don't know it: http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Book:IoFS
Re: Guild Status Update 12/12/2010 12:20 PM CST
Just an aside.

While I'd venture to guess that the idea of it being an oral tradition means GMs are currently unlike to release books, it does not mean players are prevented from writing, and submitting books on the oral history of barbarians at all.

Highly encourage some of you to do this.

__
AIM: Ysselt
As a bard, you can use SONG to list the enchantes you know.
You have learned Heart Link [hl], Nissa's Binding [nb] from scrolls and must maintain at least a high attunement to keep them.
Re: Guild Status Update 12/12/2010 12:23 PM CST
>>While I'd venture to guess that the idea of it being an oral tradition means GMs are currently unlike to release books, it does not mean players are prevented from writing, and submitting books on the oral history of barbarians at all.

>>Highly encourage some of you to do this.

We're illiterate, Ysselt. You're mean. That's mean. Why tease us like that?
Re: Guild Status Update 01/14/2011 08:58 AM CST
>while any epic slaughters brought about by barbarians have apparently not often been recorded in the history books, or at least not attributed to the guild itself.

Only survivors write history.

~Mammoth Rider Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer of Therengia

Telfogli says, "It is the Barbarian who refuses to continue to die who has failed their duty."

The Barbarian Guildleader Les says, "Kill. Don't care what. Make dead.">
Re: Guild Status Update 01/14/2011 11:03 AM CST
And Barbarians can't write.
Re: Guild Status Update 01/14/2011 03:22 PM CST
>And Barbarians can't write.

I've written two books.

Blunts for Sale:
Re: Guild Status Update 01/14/2011 08:20 PM CST
>>And Barbarians can't write.

You're confusing Barbarians with Jaedren.
Re: Guild Status Update 01/14/2011 09:25 PM CST
>>You're confusing Barbarians with Jaedren.

Touche.
Re: Guild Status Update 01/14/2011 09:26 PM CST
>>And Barbarians can't write.

>>I've written two books.

You're a barbarian in real life? cool! :>

Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Guild Status Update 01/14/2011 10:47 PM CST
>You're a barbarian in real life?

According to my GF, yes.

Blunts for Sale:
Re: Guild Status Update 01/14/2011 11:03 PM CST
Ahem.

Let's get back on topic.

Thank you!

Svafa

___
If you have questions or comments, please email me at DR-SVAFA@PLAY.NET or Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at
DR-SIDATURA@PLAY.NET or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-ANNWYL@PLAY.NET.
Re: Guild Status Update 01/16/2011 12:19 AM CST
>According to my GF, yes.

Giggity Giggity Goo!