Update? 06/06/2010 06:03 PM CDT
Could we please get an update on whats going on with the Barbarian ability re-wright? It's been a while and any info would be great.
Re: Update? 06/07/2010 08:40 PM CDT
Sure! Nothing much has changed in our plans or direction from the discussions and meetings earlier this year. Our goals are still to develop a new skill based ability system for barbarians that is more open ended and choice driven. I am finished with a big crafting release that should be hitting the Test server before the Con, and another big release that should hit soon therafter. Those aren't exactly barbaric in nature... But my plan is to focus on and complete the barbarian rewrite immediately therafter.

When Simucon makes landfall I'll have plenty of information to share, and hopefully a few surprises for everyone.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Update? 06/08/2010 01:01 PM CDT
Did I read this write: I am finished with a big crafting release that should be hitting the Test server before the Con

the big crafting release, (AKA the lore split, AKA the new armor, weapons, enchanting, and general making that will replace Mechanical Lore) is done coding, and gone into testing?

Re: Update? 06/08/2010 01:08 PM CDT
>>Did I read this write

You read it, not wrote it. But seriously, since you didn't quote I'm going to assume you're talking about the Stone Carving announcement a couple months ago, it's just one part of the mech lore split but it'll be the ground work for the rest of the systems.
Re: Update? 06/08/2010 01:28 PM CDT
Ah missed that post for some reason. I'm sure he's still just talking about the stone carving though.

https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=5&topic=3&message=4364
>Sure! Nothing much has changed in our plans or direction from the discussions and meetings earlier this year. Our goals are still to develop a new skill based ability system for barbarians that is more open ended and choice driven. *I am finished with a big crafting release that should be hitting the Test server before the Con*, and another big release that should hit soon therafter. Those aren't exactly barbaric in nature... But my plan is to focus on and complete the barbarian rewrite immediately therafter.

This was from the GM Kudos post that was before mine:
https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=20&topic=2&message=3632

(Asterisks were my addition to add emphasis on the part I had initially called to question).

Thus my question still stands: the big crafting release, (AKA the lore split, AKA the new armor, weapons, enchanting, and general making that will replace Mechanical Lore) is done coding, and gone into testing(slight modification: or will be going into testing by Con)?

Thank you for the reply. I was looking for a bit more detail as to what is going to be done with roars/dances/berserk and what not but It seems simu con is when you will be ready to shed more light on the ins and outs of whats being done, I'm not going but I will be very happy when the info is posted.

Re: Update? 06/08/2010 01:33 PM CDT
The detail is, at least as far as I am reading it, paraphrased as: "Sorry barbarians, I am developing other awesome things you'll be able to use with other guilds, but until I am done with these things Barbarian development is at a standstill."

I may be wrong with my paraphrase, that's what I am reading.
Re: Update? 06/08/2010 01:44 PM CDT
>>The detail is, at least as far as I am reading it, paraphrased as: "Sorry barbarians, I am developing other awesome things you'll be able to use with other guilds, but until I am done with these things Barbarian development is at a standstill."

That's an awfully cynical view. He said that he's got two systems that are almost out then he's going to start hitting barbarian rewrites hard. That doesn't really seem like standstill to me.

"I am finished with a big crafting release that should be hitting the Test server before the Con, and another big release that should hit soon therafter. Those aren't exactly barbaric in nature... But my plan is to focus on and complete the barbarian rewrite immediately therafter."
Re: Update? 06/08/2010 01:47 PM CDT
This isn't a knock on our current GM, but judging off how the previous GMs handled things, it's kinda easy to see where that post came from. We've heard we're going to get rewrites for a while and nada.
Re: Update? 06/08/2010 01:51 PM CDT
>>This isn't a knock on our current GM, but judging off how the previous GMs handled things, it's kinda easy to see where that post came from. We've heard we're going to get rewrites for a while and nada.

Understood but posts like that aren't a good way to go about getting them done. GMs work on projects that they want to work on and I know personally I wouldn't want to work on a project that people are QQing about before it's even started.
Re: Update? 06/08/2010 02:05 PM CDT
>>Understood but posts like that aren't a good way to go about getting them done. GMs work on projects that they want to work on and I know personally I wouldn't want to work on a project that people are QQing about before it's even started.<<

Yeah I agree, but it's also hard for the players to not get jaded as well and the GMs doing this need to understand that also.
Re: Update? 06/08/2010 02:06 PM CDT
>>"Sorry barbarians, I am developing other awesome things you'll be able to use with other guilds, but until I am done with these things Barbarian development is at a standstill."

Bluntly that is true, but I am not sure there is any way around it.

I would rather the rewrite wait, honestly, as much as I would love shiny new toys or the ability to choose my specialty more. Player-made creation systems are being rewritten, magic (including magic resistance) is being rewritten, and combat is being rewritten.

Seems sort of pointless to me to spend time designing and coding a bunch of abilities that will be outdated months after they release. As much as it sucks waiting, it is a much better use of limited GM resources to rewrite combat and magic first and then see where Barbarians stand. That way, they can see where things stand and make sure that the new design of our abilities makes Barbarians arguably the fearsome combat guild in the game.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Update? 06/08/2010 02:08 PM CDT
>>Yeah I agree, but it's also hard for the players to not get jaded as well and the GMs doing this need to understand that also.

He needs to at least be given a chance though. When asked about rewrites before I believe he said that he had some other stuff he had to work on first. Now he's saying he's almost done (like within a month and a half if it's supposed to be shortly after the con) and will start focusing on the re-writes after that. I just don't understand how Shadow got "standstill" out of that.
Re: Update? 06/08/2010 02:09 PM CDT
And you're welcome to be all jaded and unconstructive. Just not in these folders. Please take those to the Equine Cemetery.

GM Jaedren
Re: Update? 06/08/2010 02:10 PM CDT
At first I was just going to leave this alone, but since people think I am being a jerk...

My post suggested, through words such as: awesome things you'll be able to use with other guilds...

That I for one like these developments, and think they'll be helpful to not just Barbarians but other guilds.

Notice the word: awesome.

I am not trying to be snarky, or combative, or trolly, I simply want to point out that the attention of my post was that I think this development that GM Kudos is or will be a fine addition to the game.

I am also stating that realistically a GM can only develop so many things at a time, and sorry. It currently is not a barbarian only thing.

I at this point want to say sorry for any confusion my posts brought with it, because it seemed to make people believe I was hugely disappointed in development for the Guild.

Re: Update? 06/08/2010 08:31 PM CDT
Yeah yeah, I was expecting some ribbing over the lore stuff :P To be honest, my work on the lore projects began long before I picked up the responsibility as Advocate and I mean to see them through. Letting you all know where my time has been spent is important so there aren't any false assumptions.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Update? 06/08/2010 08:33 PM CDT
I understand the reason to be jaded. We've heard a lot over the past. But at the same time we have to give people a chance. I like the ideas of Kodius and am willing to wait. He and no one else is obligated to do anything.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Update? 06/08/2010 08:39 PM CDT
I appreciate the fact that every time Kodius is asked for an update he gives us one, even if it's not "Everything is done and I gave you backstabbing with Two Handers as well". Solid.

~Sulakhan

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: Update? 06/08/2010 10:01 PM CDT
or dual load and reduced load time for slings. come on.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Update? 06/09/2010 07:01 AM CDT
LOL, can't wait for the next thread in two weeks asking for an update then QQ when the GM once again says he's going to finish up some business he started previous to your advocacy. You want lack of Dev? Play a paladin for 10 years. (Though the last 2-3 haven't been that bad)

Transcendent Paladin Adakin of Prime
WorldsBestMagic Kastr of TF

"The Key To Immortality Is Living A Life Worth Remembering."

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: Update? 06/09/2010 10:38 AM CDT
>or dual load and reduced load time for slings. come on.

>dance sling

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Update? ::Nudge:: 06/09/2010 03:16 PM CDT

Keep it constructive, or let's consider this one over.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.