Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Nursery School 03/14/2009 07:06 AM CDT
<<instead of the chars that would cry like whiny girls when faced with a challenge outside their comfort zone>>

and you're saying boys don't whine?????
Re: Nursery School 03/14/2009 10:32 AM CDT
>>fled to the pit

I don't flee to the Pit. I fight for glory there. Sure, I'm not one of the "regulars" at the cemetary, but that's usually because I don't feel like being the "bait" for the uber hide-and-burn types.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not well set up to withstand a lot magically. In fact the times I've been to cemetary tournies, I've pretty much always been the first one out because my stealth sucks.

I DO however enjoy to PvP in a bit more of a controlled environment, one that isn't automatically pwned by someone who has just sat around scripting a bunch of magic skills without being in much if any harm. Therefore, I have and will continue to host monthly pit nights for folks that are like me and enjoy it.

Essentially, I don't pee on your cemetary parade. Don't crap in my Pit.

~Mammoth Rider Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer in training
Re: Nursery School 03/14/2009 02:34 PM CDT
Hah, damn you Maulem, I was trying (poorly) to instigate conflict, not a reasonable response.

<<Essentially, I don't pee on your cemetary parade. Don't crap in my Pit.>>

Fair enough, any fighting is good fighting. I tease people for avoiding the pit just like I tease people for avoiding the cemetary. It seems anti-barbish to me to avoid conflict except when the rules of the controlled environment heavily favor you (and I would still argue that barbs are definitely one of, if not the, best all-out cemetary-rules PvP guild). I have piles of negative pit points for trying my hand at that too.

If more barbs (or any guild for that matter) spent more time fighting on balanced cemetary lists, they'd realize there's more to it than scripting PM and stealth. It's a team game. To each their own though (and this is why I suck at the conflict folder).
Re: Nursery School 03/14/2009 03:02 PM CDT
<<It seems anti-barbish to me to avoid conflict except when the rules of the controlled environment heavily favor you>>

From an IC stand-point, sure, that could be true. I believe that every person should play the game to have fun. The thing with this, is that not everyone has fun the same way.

There are players who focus intently on role-playing or hunting or griefing or scripting or testing systems out and so forth. Or any combination of the above. There are characters who have been bought who don't know a single thing about the guild they play. However, these are still parts of the DR or IG community and are essential for a mixed variation of things that can happen.

Personally, I think it is important for a combat-centric guild such as Barbarians to know about all of sorts of situations that they face both PvE or PvP because they all deal with fighting in combat. However, I think it's equally stupid for someone to mention how they SHOULD be spending their time enjoying a game.

<<To each their own though>>

That's right.

- Simon
Re: Nursery School 03/14/2009 03:48 PM CDT
>Virtually every good prime PvP barb is bought-trash. And the rest spend their time whining about why their Medium-Blunt-Prime-No-shield strategy isn't owning.

Really?
Re: Nursery School 03/14/2009 04:04 PM CDT
Sadly it's kind of true, heh.

Vinjince
Re: Nursery School 03/14/2009 04:12 PM CDT
Rangers aside, the top PvP characters of any guild are all bought and sold.

Trop
Slowdog
Scillo
Joshuan
Vymos
Tenion
Pormithius
Re: Nursery School 03/14/2009 05:34 PM CDT
If amount of effort training = effectiveness in CvC, I'd dive right in.

Unfortunately, if you don't train one of two or three methods for winning, you might as well not bother. So I don't.

The GMs keep saying that this isn't a CvC game, and as far as I can tell, CvC balance is pretty far down the list of development goals, unless there's a huge outcry over a specific skill/weapon/spell/ability.

I'm of mixed feelings on this since it seems like CvC is often the only means to resolve some issues (graverobbing, etc.)

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Nursery School 03/14/2009 05:46 PM CDT
>Unfortunately, if you don't train one of two or three methods for winning, you might as well not bother. So I don't.

There's a lot more than 2 or 3 methods of winning in PvP.
Re: Nursery School 03/14/2009 07:54 PM CDT
Really? Every winner of an open tourney that I've been to has been some combination of stealth/bow/TM.

Re: Nursery School 03/14/2009 08:31 PM CDT
Vinjince has horrible stealths and is pretty damn good at PvP.

That aside, if you don't want to train for PvP, don't complain about not being good at it. I don't feel the need to train to be good at forging LEs, HEs, and 2HEs, so I'm not good at it.
Re: Nursery School 03/14/2009 08:31 PM CDT
Probably because anyone that has other skills just doesn't feel like beating the tar out of those who do and would rather be doing something else.

Re: Nursery School 03/14/2009 09:01 PM CDT
It's not just about skills, stats, abilities, spells - all those are just options.

It's about using your knowledge as a player to understand the situation you're in so you can effectively eliminate your targets.

- Simon
Re: Nursery School 03/14/2009 11:10 PM CDT
PvP is tricky because once you get too good everyone finds out and doesn't want to fight with you.

I really think the mid circles 40-60 are the best for PvP, people can usually take a couple of hits before dying and guilds are more evenly matched them. 60-100 is alright but you definitely see the magic guilds pulling out ahead here. Over 100 is usually one shot or no one comes out of hiding bore fest
Re: Nursery School 03/15/2009 10:13 AM CDT
Anyone else pissed about how many of Rmel's list are MAGES???

Re: Nursery School 03/15/2009 10:17 AM CDT
Caraamon has an excellent point. CvC glory as it stands does depend (most generally) on some combination of Stealth, Bow or TM.

However, Simon also has an excellent point that CvC glory ALSO depends on knowing things about the situation(s) you're fighting in. Which is what makes the more controlled environment of the Pit an excellent testing ground to learn some of those basic tenets. Like, strike hardest after your opponent sweeps, or let your opponent advance you if you can.

Re: Nursery School 03/15/2009 11:51 AM CDT
Stealth is the king. I can find no reasonable argument against that fact. However, since we all know this, we can not complain if we do not train for it by either over training anti-stealth (perception/hiding) or training stealth itself (hiding/stalking) or both aspects.

I will say that I am hopeful that the upcoming combat changes will make melee more desirable.

Madigan

Free the Paladin Guild in 2009.
Re: Nursery School 03/15/2009 12:24 PM CDT
I'm not familiar with Pit fighting. I've heard that it's no magic, no hiding, but what else? Can a thief use khri? Will a warmage's buff spells remain active? Can a barbarian dance, berserk, or roar?

What are the restrictions and limitations to fighting in the Pit?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein
Re: Nursery School 03/15/2009 12:37 PM CDT
<<I've heard that it's no magic, no hiding, but what else?>>

No ranged weapons, also.

<<Can a thief use khri?>>

Yes.

You can also use CJs in the pit, although that's a bug that it's allowed while magic is not allowed in the pit.

<<Will a warmage's buff spells remain active?>>

The pit boss (NPC) will not let anyone who has any magic spells on them to enter the porticullis (inside the pit).

<<Can a barbarian dance, berserk, or roar?>>

Yes to all dances. Yes to all berserks. Yes to some roars (not Lash and not Wail).

<<What are the restrictions and limitations to fighting in the Pit?>>

Basically, it is not what I would consider ALL out melee action.

- Simon
Re: Nursery School 03/15/2009 02:27 PM CDT
>>Caraamon has an excellent point. CvC glory as it stands does depend (most generally) on some combination of Stealth, Bow or TM.

My stealths are extremely low and hardly useful in any CvC at all. My highest bow is at 80 ranks. And of course I have no TM. Being good at CvC can be done without those three, even though they certainly help and make it easier. Perception is a more important skill than both hiding and stalking IMO. I'm pretty confident that if I trained up a character in ANY guild (including Traders, Bards, Empaths, and especially Paladins) I could make them very competent in CvC. Knowing the ins and outs of various systems and how CvC works is an important part of being good at it.

Even Navak (who only used melee) was successful in some forms of CvC outside of the pit. You don't have to like it or enjoy it, but laying down statements such as these are false. I know INSOLENTWRAITH was just stirring the pot, but I find his statements more true than Caraamon's.

Vinjince
Re: Nursery School 03/15/2009 03:40 PM CDT
In theory, I could win CvC fights wearing no armor, never hiding and brawling. It's certainly possible, but for some reason I haven't seen anyone do it.

I'm talking reality of every CvC I've been part of. I have yet to see a single winner who did not heavily train and use one of the three I mentioned.

Maybe you're just a genius and not subject to the same problems of other people.

I stand by my statements.

Re: Nursery School 03/15/2009 04:06 PM CDT
Caraamon, I don't mean this as an insult, and nor do you probably care much, but you tend to have a very narrow way of viewing things. Just because your experiences haven't gone well without those 4 skills doesn't mean one cannot win without them. Maybe, just maybe you're not doing something right.

>>Maybe you're just a genius and not subject to the same problems of other people.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not. If it is then it makes it obvious that I know my experiences as well as CvC better than you do. If not, then I assure you I'm far from being a genius.

>>I stand by my statements.

Which is fine by me. I'm just informing you that the statements you stand by are wrong.

Vinjince
Re: Nursery School 03/15/2009 04:17 PM CDT
>>I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not.

It's the conflicts folder. We're not allowed to be nice or show respect... you... uh.... dummy.

Re: Nursery School 03/15/2009 04:22 PM CDT
As a follow-up. I don't deny knowing the system has massive benefits. But all other things equal, someone who plays in stealth/bows/magic will win.

Just because you can beat some people because you know more does not affect this generality.

There is a reason I stay away from CvC, and that's because I didn't choose one of those ways, and as a result, someone half my circle can easily kill me. That's life.

It doesn't make me any less inclined to be annoyed by it.

Re: Nursery School 03/15/2009 04:35 PM CDT
<<In theory, I could win CvC fights wearing no armor, never hiding and brawling. It's certainly possible, but for some reason I haven't seen anyone do it.>>

I've done that before. I mean, it's not the best course to take strategically and I don't do that with every single kill, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been done before. Do we have to post things for them to be valid? Would my guides be less valid if they were never released? The information is mostly true regardless if it's written or not. The only difference is that you have the option to know about it. In the same train of thought, if I had not posted a few years ago that I could kill sky giants with death shriek, would that not be valid? I still killed them whether ANYONE saw it or not.

<<Caraamon, I don't mean this as an insult, and nor do you probably care much, but you tend to have a very narrow way of viewing things. Just because your experiences haven't gone well without those 4 skills doesn't mean one cannot win without them. Maybe, just maybe you're not doing something right.>>

I agree.

<<I stand by my statements.>>

There's a difference between the people who are willing to learn (example: Galren, Vinjince, Phii) and those who are unwilling to learn (example: Caraamon). An unwillingness to expand your thoughts about what you don't know and accept the suggestions and criticism given to you.

- Simon
Re: Nursery School 03/15/2009 04:45 PM CDT
Eh, I can't really learn the system beyond watching others. When you don't get ressurections, death takes on a much different tone.

You have all made statements that directly contradict everything I have seen. So unless I just happen to miss all of the things you're talking about, I can't reconcile them.

Guess I'll just bow out of the conversation then.

Re: Nursery School 03/15/2009 05:09 PM CDT
I don't deny that I could be wrong, I just haven't seen anything to make me think so.

So, let's do that. Next time either of you two feels like showing off for an audience, get ahold of me and show me I'm wrong.

Seeing is believing.

Re: Nursery School 03/15/2009 05:19 PM CDT
<<Eh, I can't really learn the system beyond watching others.>>

Because you don't want to take the time to learn on your own. Ok, no problem - that was one choice you made. Other people have chosen to not take the time to learn on their own and they still can manage to learn and adapt. You can do this by reading the forums, asking friends. Of course, you are relying on other people's word of mouth. The worst this can do is mess you up one time at minimum, but that goes into trying new things.

<<When you don't get ressurections, death takes on a much different tone.>>

Again, this is your choice you've made. Barbarians don't have inner fire when they are dead, but you've chosen to not listen and went down your own RP path (which is cool! But you can't complain about it when the answer has been said repeatedly that Barbarians do not have inner fire when they are dead and so they resist nothing).

<<Guess I'll just bow out of the conversation then.>>

And now we've come full circle to the title of this thread.

- Simon
Re: Nursery School 03/15/2009 09:09 PM CDT
Caraamon<<stealth/bow/TM>>

Vinjince<<My stealths are extremely low and hardly useful in any CvC at all. My highest bow is at 80 ranks. And of course I have no TM. Being good at CvC can be done without those three>>

You also have really good LT.....if he said stealth/ranged/TM would that be more truthful?

And generally speaking, you would need greater LT than the other person's Shield to get past it or does that change when you get up to the higher ranks?

Carammon<<Just because you can beat some people because you know more>?

I assume your saying know more ranks.....
Isn't this the truth when it comes to melee? If your not using TM\ranged\stealth+backstab, it comes down to your affective ranks. Maybe this changes as you get higher as well.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Nursery School 03/15/2009 09:38 PM CDT
>>You also have really good LT.....if he said stealth/ranged/TM would that be more truthful?

Yep, somewhat. Going melee only isn't a wise choice for CvC, but even that has been done before. The issue is more or less of how your character is trained for CvC combat, as well as how much knowledge you have of it. It always takes good judgement sometimes, and that can only be achieved through experience.

>>And generally speaking, you would need greater LT than the other person's Shield to get past it or does that change when you get up to the higher ranks?

I usually do need greater. LT has a major weakness against shield and heavily armored foes. It does not mean I can't be viable in CvC, though. With LT I've had some major kills, on folks that used stealth, bow, and TM.

Vinjince
Re: Nursery School 03/16/2009 08:29 PM CDT
>>Yep, somewhat. Going melee only isn't a wise choice for CvC, but even that has been done before. The issue is more or less of how your character is trained for CvC combat, as well as how much knowledge you have of it. It always takes good judgement sometimes, and that can only be achieved through experience.<<

Yeah I know I am a novice at tournies....it surprises me how fast you can get owned by walking to the next room. Is it common practice for people to use triggers or scripts that they plug in names before hand to nail people quicker, or is most of it just experienced CvC\Tournie participants? I've always wanted to get involved more but always seems I am at the other end of the realms.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Nursery School 03/16/2009 09:36 PM CDT
>>Yeah I know I am a novice at tournies....it surprises me how fast you can get owned by walking to the next room. Is it common practice for people to use triggers or scripts that they plug in names before hand to nail people quicker, or is most of it just experienced CvC\Tournie participants? I've always wanted to get involved more but always seems I am at the other end of the realms.

I'd say most are just experienced tourney participants. Usually we know who pose no threat to ourselves, as well as the people we can't touch. Speaking for myself, I usually know the group of people I'm going to attack before it happens.

There has been a few times when I've been killed by someone I suspected used a trigger/script, to which I responded back with the same thing in another round. Other than that, I never use any scripts or triggers since almost all the roars are usually not allowed. It can be a real fun experience, and I believe if more people actually participated often instead of making wild assumptions (i dont wanna play cuz i will be killed cuz i stand no chance at all) then they'll find it more enjoyable themselves.

Vinjince
Re: Nursery School 03/16/2009 11:43 PM CDT
I agree with what Vinjince said.

Think of it this way: in any given tournament, I guarantee you at least half the people involved are going to die.
Re: Nursery School 03/17/2009 06:43 AM CDT
Croegar,
IM me at sgordonccd. Oh! You tree tossin ninny!

Re: Nursery School 06/30/2009 05:05 PM CDT
CvC, much like any other activity in the game, requires some effort and time spent learning not only your own abilities but those of your opponents.

I learned a hell of a lot just by watching others that came long before me. :)
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page