handshakes 04/07/2008 07:38 AM CDT
Barbarian handshakes were "fixed" in plat so that they don't "out" thieves who use barbarian titles. Why isn't this done in prime as well?

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: handshakes 04/07/2008 12:14 PM CDT
To be honest, I don't know. I'll find out what changed and see if I can't get it live in Prime and TF

~Aurdun
Barbarian Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
Re: handshakes 04/07/2008 04:31 PM CDT
>>Its not like we can just shake their hand and go its a thief,

Huh? Actually, it's exactly like this.

As much fun as I have immediately outing Thieves, I don't think it will be all that much a loss to have only one way to do this instead of two.

Doctor: Are you Alliance?
Early: Am I lion? Huh. I don't think of myself as a lion. But you might as well have a mighty roar!
Re: handshakes 04/08/2008 01:20 AM CDT
I hope describe gets fixed sometime soon as well.

I like to think there is at least one non-trader guild that thieves can fake without worrying about outdated mechanics revealing their affiliations.

I am --- Navak
Re: handshakes 04/08/2008 01:31 AM CDT
DESCRIBE may, and I'm not sure yet, get fixed when I work on one of my projects involving dances.

~Aurdun
Barbarian Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion

"Don't use logic on scientists. That's just mean." ~ GM Zeyurn
Re: handshakes 04/09/2008 11:01 AM CDT
"Huh? Actually, it's exactly like this."

No, its not, you cant tell if its a thief by shaking their hand.

Re: handshakes 04/09/2008 11:53 AM CDT
>>"Huh? Actually, it's exactly like this."

>No, its not, you cant tell if its a thief by shaking their hand.

If someone's wearing a Barbarian-only title, you shake their hand and if you don't get the Barbarian handshake messaging then they're a Thief. Pretty simple, stop trying to create an argument - you know what he's saying.

-Rmel
________
The ladies would love it if I shape shifted into a bear while we were making sweet sweet love. That benefit alone would make shape shifting worth it.

-Mvorn
Re: handshakes 04/09/2008 01:07 PM CDT
Every thief wearing a barb title i've ever shook hands with, had the barb messaging, so unless somethings changed since i was gone, i would assume its the same.
The only time you could out a thief was when THEY shook YOUR hand.

Re: handshakes 04/09/2008 06:32 PM CDT
Then they are choosing to out themselves if thats the case, whats the freaking big deal. If they don't want to be outed they'll remember one of their limitations.

~Ternith Sjomah

Yolesi snorts and says to you, "Looks like you've been on a samatak binge. That's illegal, even in these parts, and I don't want any part of that trouble."
Re: handshakes 04/09/2008 07:16 PM CDT
What he meant was that Thieves pretending to be Barbarians were able to "fake" receiving the handshake but could not "fake" giving a handshake. As it is now, they can do neither and are easily outed. This has been a bug ever since the new title system was introduced.

The Declaration of Independence grants Americans the right to pursue happiness, but if caught, you must return it to the pharmaceutical companies.
Re: handshakes 04/09/2008 10:49 PM CDT
>>What he meant was that Thieves pretending to be Barbarians were able to "fake" receiving the handshake but could not "fake" giving a handshake. As it is now, they can do neither and are easily outed. This has been a bug ever since the new title system was introduced.

This.

>>Every thief wearing a barb title i've ever shook hands with, had the barb messaging, so unless somethings changed since i was gone, i would assume its the same.

Huh? No. Shaking a Thief's hand will not give the Barbarian messaging (at least it didn't for a long time). This is probably where the mix-up is.
Doctor: Are you Alliance?
Early: Am I lion? Huh. I don't think of myself as a lion. But you might as well have a mighty roar!
Re: handshakes 04/10/2008 07:39 AM CDT
the thing is, in plat you're able- as a thief - both to give and recieve the handshake with barbarian titles up. So, perhaps import the fix that was done there to prime.

prep dragon dance 100...

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: handshakes 04/10/2008 04:13 PM CDT
>the thing is, in plat you're able- as a thief - both to give and recieve the handshake with barbarian titles up. So, perhaps import the fix that was done there to prime.

Or go back to plat.

The Declaration of Independence grants Americans the right to pursue happiness, but if caught, you must return it to the pharmaceutical companies.
Re: handshakes 04/10/2008 06:15 PM CDT
rp is supposed to be encouraged in prime as well. and if i could afford plat, i'd be there.

if you're just posting to be hostile, take it to conflicts.

Re: handshakes 04/10/2008 08:06 PM CDT
The long and short of it is this - it's going to get fixed in Prime. It's a bug.

~Aurdun
Barbarian Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion

"Don't use logic on scientists. That's just mean." ~ GM Zeyurn
Re: handshakes 04/11/2008 10:49 AM CDT
I completely oppose thieves being able to GIVE the handshake. Receive sure. Otherwise, just give them dances and roars as well and get it over with, cause you know not being able to do those will out them too.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: handshakes 04/11/2008 01:01 PM CDT
its a handshake. its not combat-related or anything besides a bit of RP. we still can't belch, grunt or eat runestones like you guys :-)

Re: handshakes 04/11/2008 01:03 PM CDT
While I do agree with opposing the give handshake ability, I think the addendum was a bit overboard to say the least.

___
~Ternith Sjomah

Yolesi snorts and says to you, "Looks like you've been on a samatak binge. That's illegal, even in these parts, and I don't want any part of that trouble."
Re: handshakes 04/14/2008 01:42 PM CDT
.... It was an obvious exaggeration to add emphasis to my feelings.

It's a well used and well known oratory device.

Then again, this is the forums, so I shouldn't be surprised some people might have taken me seriously..... there are people that would be tempermental enough to be serious.

Fine, then let me restate. Unless you plan to give them all of the active barbarian verbs (grunt, clench, challenge, belch, RP roar, etc.) I think it is unfair to give them handshake. Passive imitation is fine, such as being able to fake receiving a handshake, but to give them the ability to actively emulate us....

Lack of any of them can be used to "out" them just as easily as lack of handshake. As it's an all or none proposition, I vote for none.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: handshakes 04/14/2008 01:54 PM CDT
I always thought it was coded properly, thieves can pretend to know what they are doing when you give em the super secret barbarian handshake. But, if they went and tried to initiate one, they were outed.
Whats the problem in this? They can wear our titles, they can get their hand shaked. But, if they want to out themselves, they have the ability to do, or not do it.

What changed?

Re: handshakes 04/14/2008 02:51 PM CDT
>What changed?

Thieves cannot pretend to know what they are doing when you give em the super secret barbarian handshake. As was mentioned about 5 times now.
Re: handshakes 04/14/2008 03:10 PM CDT
To simplify:

#1 Real Barbarian shakes hand of Pretend Barbarian (Thief) = Barbarian handshake as perceived by Real Barbarian(how it used to work and should still work, but does not)

#2 Pretend Barbarian (Thief) shakes hand of Real Barbarian = normal, gutless, deadfish, handshake likened to a toothless old mage. (this is how it worked before as well)

The bug is that number 1 isnt working the way it should work in that Real Barbarians get the deadfish handshake when shaking the hand of a Pretend Barbarian (Thief)

There is no bug with number 2, since this is how it has always worked, but in Plat they are special little snowflakes and there is no distinction between 1 & 2.

Now if anyone needs anymore clarification, I will try to provide more pictures.

Re: handshakes 04/14/2008 03:15 PM CDT
>Now if anyone needs anymore clarification, I will try to provide more pictures.

If anyone needs more clarification, I might start with a hand gesture.
Re: handshakes 04/14/2008 04:45 PM CDT
I wish to see pictures please. Even if crudely drawn animatics, please.

Re: handshakes 04/14/2008 05:48 PM CDT
>>I wish to see pictures please. Even if crudely drawn animatics, please.

Here, let me summarize this thread (which has been ongoing for however many years now)

elaboratefacepalm.png

I am --- Navak