Spartacus: Blood and Sand 11/28/2010 12:14 PM CST
I just watched all 13 episodes of this show and thought it was completely amazing...anyone else watch this series from STARZ? I thought it was the best show I have seen in awhile, better than most movies.

Anyways, some great warrior concepts. The gladiator trainer with the whip, Dual weilding swords was very popular for the best fighters in this show as well.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand 11/28/2010 06:21 PM CST
I'm a fan as well. Always gives me a chuckle every time I see the 'historical accuracy' disclaimer at the start of each episode though.

Still, it's some of my preferred background noise/occasional visuals while I play.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand 11/28/2010 06:52 PM CST
>>Always gives me a chuckle every time I see the 'historical accuracy' disclaimer at the start of each episode though.

Yeah I'm not worried about the historical accuracy honestly. To my knowledge most of the details of Spartacus are unknown. To me it's just a good show and I just ignore any historical setting because if you try to match it up to history then it will just make the show worse.

Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand 11/28/2010 09:37 PM CST
I enjoy this show a lot. But I've only been watching scenes via Youtube so my viewing is patchy at best because of copyright and Canadian broadcasting laws. One of the few series I would actually consider purchasing boxed sets for.

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand 11/29/2010 06:03 AM CST
It's very good, Specially if you can watch them back to back. Waiting a week for the next show always dampers the mood IMO.

Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand 11/30/2010 01:10 PM CST
Agreed. I watched them back to back over the course of 2-3 days. I enjoyed it.

You're not going to get a great sense of what the show is about if you only watch fight clips on youtube. There's a decent amount of nudity, so large parts of the show would never last on youtube.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand 11/30/2010 04:46 PM CST
>Dual weilding swords was very popular for the best fighters in this show as well.

That's because dual-weilding looks cool on TV and generally got pwnt in real life. Survivors used shields.

I liked that show, it just seemed like they went a bit over the top on the language and sex just because they could and wanted the shock value. I mean the first or second episode when the guy from The Mummy is doing unspeakable-on-the-forums things to himself while discussing business, was that really needed?

Just because I can stick my finger in the light socket doesn't mean I should. I usually do anyway, but still.
Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand 11/30/2010 05:31 PM CST
>>I liked that show, it just seemed like they went a bit over the top on the language and sex just because they could and wanted the shock value.

They definitely went over-the-top, but then the entire show is so highly stylized that I simply chalked that up to another part of the style. After the first episode and opening of the second, I got past it being jarring and it just became part of the charm to me, really.

>>I mean the first or second episode when the guy from The Mummy is doing unspeakable-on-the-forums things to himself while discussing business, was that really needed?

Considering his situation at the time, I'd say sure, if you're going to depict that sort of scene at all, why not? And in his defense (heh) it was only him for a few seconds, then a slave took over.

Personally I'd commend them for the job they did with the show. They clearly sat down and said to themselves "we're going for unapologetic blood, guts and sex" and then they followed through on that decision without flinching. They even wrapped it around a story that was often fairly compelling. I don't think all visual storytelling should have the same content or direction, but I'd love to see more of it nowadays have the same level of commitment to their chosen direction.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand 11/30/2010 05:40 PM CST
I was pretty surprised at first but I never watched a paid channels series... wasn't sure I would like it on the first episode or two but it gets better and better with each episode. Also the actors seemed to get better as it went on and the plot really unfolded. I will have to go back and watch the first few episodes again to see if I still feel the same.

Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand 12/01/2010 04:22 PM CST
Are they running the episodes again or did you buy a DVD package? I stopped watching it after the fourth episode and wanted to watch the rest, but can't seem to find it again.

Madigan
Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand 12/01/2010 04:40 PM CST
I have it DVR'd, and Netflix used to have all the episodes available for streaming, but I think they took them down a while back, unfortunately. Probably to avoid competition with DVD sales.

I know I've seen ads recently saying that STARz would be replaying all of the episodes as a lead-in to the start of the upcoming prequel mini-season that starts in January. I think the ad said Friday nights? Not too sure on that. Worth checking into, though.

Ogdaro
Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand 12/01/2010 05:34 PM CST
Yeah Netflix took it off instant, but it's still available in DVD and Blu-Ray.

Player of Drevid and Jhaval

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand 01/01/2011 10:32 PM CST
A month later and its back on Instant on Netflix. Least it is for me.

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
-Thucydides

http://www.theapostlesorder.org/
Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand 01/04/2011 04:41 PM CST
Same here. Already caught up. I like that show.

Madigan
Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand 03/17/2011 05:30 PM CDT
For what it's worth, from a discussion with a classics major, I'm inclined to believe that the sex scenes that were portrayed in the show were actually quite tame compared to the sorts of things the Romans aristocrats and wealthy families were getting up to.

I thought the show and it's prequel were great fun. Gory, visceral, and alive. The Gods favor the House of Battiatus indeed!
Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand 04/01/2011 11:53 PM CDT
Watched both series. Couldn't get enough. Was a bit disappointed with the brevity of Gods of the Arena, but hey, it was still awesome to watch. I hope they do more.