Why a barb? 10/27/2009 01:49 AM CDT
Alright. So I ask a lot of people why they joined the guild they belong to. Now, as a mixture of boredom, curiosity, and simply because these folders are getting WAY too quiet, I'll ask here.

Why'd you make your barbarian? Did you have an inspiration somewhere or was it just to try being one?

The idea for Asdiel was based off a Terry Brooks character named Garret-Jax that I thought was really awesome. Only Shannara book I read, but the character stuck with me.

Anyone else wanna weigh in?

- Asdiel, Death Dealer in training

"Evil is a point of view. We are immortal. And what we have before us are the rich feasts that conscience cannot appreciate and mortal men cannot know without regret." - Lestat
Re: Why a barb? 10/27/2009 08:24 AM CDT
I was bored of my thief and wanted a change of pace. While deciding between the Paladin and Barbarian guilds I posted in a few folders asking how well Barbarians did in plate armor, and no one seemed to have a solid answer, so curiosity made me try it. The experiment turned out to be pretty fun, so I stuck with it.

Laniea came through some massive doors.
Laniea appears to be aiming at Mesanna with her forester's crossbow.
You praise Laniea's efforts, supporting her with your approval.
Re: Why a barb? 10/27/2009 08:27 AM CDT
<<Why'd you make your barbarian?

For a couple of reason. My first year of playing the game I made and played a warmie. This is back with Firesom and Sumner were the highest in the game. I think they were level 25 at the time. I got tired of having to have a certain room to hunt in (mana restrictions). I watched how much fun my RL friend who plays the barbarian Ecleus was having. So I stopped playing my warmie (Tych) and rolled up Drevid. I never looked back. I still have such a fun time playing him.

Player of Drevid

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: Why a barb? 10/27/2009 09:13 AM CDT
I qas inspired by God of War. At first Cratoes started off as a warmie. Much like Drevid I didn't like my hunting limited by mana. So I switched to a barb and have loved it

Oderint Dum Metuant
Re: Why a barb? 10/27/2009 09:31 AM CDT
For me, I was quite literally getting burned out with training magics and lores. So the barbarian represents my chance to unwind! And if I can kick some critter's rear while at it, all the better!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Why a barb? 10/27/2009 10:04 AM CDT
I thought playing a magic user would be to addicting for me from my past experience with AD&D. So I chose a barbarian instead. ROFL And after 11+ years, I am still playing Magdar.

Glenn
______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Why a barb? 10/27/2009 12:54 PM CDT
I read about the Magic guild (MMs). I read about the guild without magic that only used weapons (Barb). And I read about the guild that used magic AND weapons (War Mage).

I figured 99.9% of the game wanted to be War Mages, and a lot of others wanted to be Moon Mages. Then I saw a lot of different spells being casted before I picked (Fire Shard, GZ, DB) before I joined any guild.

After seeing some Cleric spells, I decided to become a Barbarian. It was just wayyyy more impressive to me to see the Barbarian kill an opponent by simply shooting an arrow into their heart rather than calling up all kinds of magical powers. I've always liked playing the underdog (which is what I assumed Barbs were in terms of favoritism by new players) and turning it into something special. Another reason why LT is my character's main weapon.

Out of all the games I've played, I never preferred the stealthy type. My favorites have always been the warriors with the big swords like Cloud. :P

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: Why a barb? 10/27/2009 01:09 PM CDT
I dislike the magic system in DR, and as such I'm not a fan of playing guilds that rely heavily on magic.

Competitively, the Barbarian skillset setup and the circle requirements led me to believe I could make a character that was able to dominate skill-wise most folks around his circle in game. New experience pretty much eliminated my ability to train Rmel the way I wanted to train him from the beginning, short of purposely letting my weapons go clear. That aside, I'm pretty happy with how Rmel's turned out so far.
Re: Why a barb? 10/27/2009 03:53 PM CDT
My first character in beta was a Barbarian who loved to hunt and open boxes. At that time, the game was more about the excitement of the unknown. At that time, I enjoyed playing a moon mage and ranger, but the Barbarian stuck out to me from the ideal nature of role-playing a character that must rely on themselves and their surroundings to survive.

When I came back to DR after a long stint playing RTS games, my first inclination was to go back to what I enjoyed previously. It was still a lot of things that excited me that were unknown about this guild at that portion of time and the biggest thing was the entire smithing system. The system was a challenge at first and I loved discovering piece by piece. The whole fun of it for me was towards understanding how things worked - not just with the smithing system, but also the juggling system, dances, berserks, roars, war stomp and pretty much everything to do with the Barbarian guild (PAFO). It was fun because the challenge was there to uncover to an extent. In terms of overall camaraderie the players who played Barbarian characters were exceptional for a very long period of time.

I didn't want to choose any book or movie as a reason of how to role-play or what a Barbarian is. It completely would defeat the challenge for me to evolve my character because I would be referencing another individual's vision. It wasn't about skills or circle at all for the overall goals because anyone could script away. Instead, it was completely on understanding how systems worked in relation to Barbarians being efficient at killing through presence or via any weapon in their hand and enjoying the ride.

- Simon

You're about to get boxed!

http://media.photobucket.com/image/monkey%20punch/cabosstone/Monkeypunch.jpg
Re: Why a barb? 10/27/2009 04:29 PM CDT
I had been playing an empath and a paladin that I RP'd a lot with so I wanted a barbarian that did nothing but fight and hunt. She was meant to be totally antisocial and not get involved in anything. That so backfired on me but no regrets.

===
Oleveir says, "One must be careful around the angry ODS women."
Re: Why a barb? 10/27/2009 05:43 PM CDT
I've played most guilds in the game, and I love combat. One thing I hated about combat with other guilds was that some of the combat related skills might be tertiary, whether it's weapons, armor, or survivals (evasion, primarily but skinning and stealths also). Barbarians have the best skill setup for combat oriented players (just my opinion). I'm having a great time training mine.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: Why a barb? 10/27/2009 07:25 PM CDT
Interesting thread.

When I played a barbarian in prime, it was for similar reasons: I was sick of room mana and tert skills. Eventually I started playing moon mages, but I was still stuck with tert skills. At the time I thought high mentals would compensate, but now I know better. Oh well.
Re: Why a barb? 10/28/2009 09:05 AM CDT
>>My favorites have always been the warriors with the big swords

This is the biggest reason for me.....plus Barbs were less complicated it seemed which I liked.

Back in 97-98 I had a Barb (Codiak) up to 41st and I was definately a circle chaser at that time. I was fighting the top critters in the game which were DS and Rock Guardians which just came out before I left....My shining moment was landing a devestating strike on Gurt who was the top dog at the time in a tourney. (not sure if he is still around). Then I went to the Corps for 4 years and came back to DR about 6 months after I got out (Dec 02 I think).

Same thing though, Joined the Barb guild right away. I knew I wasn't going to be a top circle guy anymore so I chose to concentrate on being well rounded and believe I have that accomplished so far. I have almost every skill I train at or higher than my weapon reqs. One thing that I remember form my first character is that I always brought my bag of boxes to thieves and tipped them to open them for me...I didn't want to do that anymore so I trained the skills myself. (Box popper services seem to be almost non-existant now, either people do their own or just leave them) Just turned 60th this morning btw woot!

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Why a barb? 10/28/2009 04:16 PM CDT
Because it's almost the exact opposite of what I am in real life. That and war mages annoy me.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Why a barb? 10/28/2009 04:49 PM CDT
My barbarian is my first and still my main character. Back when I started in 99/00 it was a toss up between Barbarian or Paladin but the whole magic thing just confused me when I read about it on the website. So 10 days out of the character manager I finally found the guild and joined. Then ran around not knowing what to do for almost the rest of my free trial till a nice mentor grabbed me up.

For me it was the simplicity of the guild. I've tried other guilds since but never stick with them more than a few circles.

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
-Thucydides

http://www.theapostlesorder.org/

http://RissanMerchant.homelinux.net:8888
Re: Why a barb? 10/28/2009 09:48 PM CDT
<<Because it's almost the exact opposite of what I am in real life. That and war mages annoy me.

I'm trying to think of what the exact opposite of Cara would be. So.. You're a really tiny magic enthusiest with long hair and a REALLY quiet voice?

And war mages annoy everybody, even other war mages a lot of the time. They used to not bas as bad when we could thump their fams, though.

- Asdiel, Death Dealer in training

"Evil is a point of view. We are immortal. And what we have before us are the rich feasts that conscience cannot appreciate and mortal men cannot know without regret." - Lestat
Re: Why a barb? 10/29/2009 04:21 AM CDT
stress relief.

Re: Why a barb? 10/29/2009 09:55 PM CDT
Because Barbs rock.

I've always been the wade-into-melee-and-kill-or-be-killed type of player with pretty much any game I've played. Barbs were the natural fit for my preferred style. Over time, I've developed Maulem a bit more on the RP side than I originally intended, but it's been, and continues to be, a great ride and never-ending source of entertainment for me.
Particularly since he went somewhat feral a couple years back, which allowed me quite a bit more leniency in how I play him.

~Mammoth Rider Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer of Therengia

Caraamon loudly asks, "Ya still got tasks fer us ta do, Les?"
>
The Barbarian Guildleader Les says, "Kill. Don't care what. Make dead."
Re: Why a barb? 10/30/2009 04:53 AM CDT
>So.. You're a really tiny magic enthusiest with long hair and a REALLY quiet voice?

I'm a physically incapable individual with way too much schooling in the science (magic).

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Why a barb? 10/30/2009 06:59 AM CDT
science lover!!!111 Science, the crutch of RL.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Why a barb? 11/07/2009 11:13 AM CST
I started as a Paladin because it was what I knew from most fantasy I read at the time.(think it was insipired by Rice from Dragonlance and the arcade fighting game whatever it was called) I really didnt want anything to do with magic so I switched over to a Barbarian shortly thereafter, who was 14th when Gurt was first on the barb guild register at 27th with Varkon second. Took a long break(hoo-rah Codiax) and nearly forgot about the game, googled it one day and found it was now independent of AOL. I have played a barb pretty much ever since, I can't really handle standing around scripting anything for any significant period of time.
Re: Why a barb? 02/14/2010 09:46 PM CST
Conan! Always have been much better at just wading in, grabbing hold and shaking things up. My first char was a ranger (Thunderhawk) and I didn't like all the stealth and survival. Togs are kind of like me, big, strong, and none too bright. Barbarians match my style because they aren't anything too fancy and because they can usually manage to get into more trouble than any other class.