300 03/07/2007 11:23 AM CST
1 day, 10 hours, 37 minutes.

drool

Let's pretend that Chain Lightning doesn't exist...
See? Good, clean, reasonably balanced fun.

-Armifer
"What covers all the world?"
"Cloud Lava"
"And what keeps Ushnish at bay?"
"Fuzzy jester hats."
Re: 300 03/07/2007 11:37 AM CST
A question here. Are the highly civilized Spartians or the highly civilized Persians the barbarians?
_________
Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: 300 03/07/2007 11:41 AM CST
I don't think either are barbaric in a sense of lacking advanced 'civilization.' Of course I don't think Elanthia's Barbarians are really like this, either, as there is a good deal of organization within the guild, a long sense of tradition, powerful mastery of discipline and cabalic abilities etc.

However, 300 v. a million is definitely 'barbaric' in one sense of the word.

Let's pretend that Chain Lightning doesn't exist...
See? Good, clean, reasonably balanced fun.

-Armifer
"What covers all the world?"
"Cloud Lava"
"And what keeps Ushnish at bay?"
"Fuzzy jester hats."
Re: 300 03/08/2007 07:55 AM CST
i cant wait for this movie for the most part it seems pretty historicaly correct. But i wonder if they will show the other 700 that stayed to fight with them. But even with the full number of 1000 the odds they faced and shear devastion they caused the invading force was just awesome and some all barbarians should strive to achive. I know i do.
Re: 300 03/08/2007 05:12 PM CST
I'll be seeing this at the IMAX. Yeaaaaaah baby.

-Galren Moonskin

Messenger Boy: The Thessalonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
Re: 300 03/08/2007 06:48 PM CST
Somebody in the Seattle IMAX office determined that this would be a good time to show Happy Feet rather than 300. We are not amused.

-Durnil
Re: 300 03/08/2007 06:53 PM CST
>>Somebody in the Seattle IMAX office determined that this would be a good time to show Happy Feet. Yay!

I think this comment would be more appropriate for the Warrior Mage folders.

>>and DIMINISHEDANGLE.

He's so acute.

-Durnil
Re: 300 03/08/2007 07:51 PM CST
>I think this comment would be more appropriate for the Warrior Mage folders.

Pfft, you're limiting yourself. Whatever arguments between barbs and WMs exist, the fact that WMs can dance is NOT one of them.

-Durnil
Re: 300 03/08/2007 08:40 PM CST
>>i cant wait for this movie for the most part it seems pretty historicaly correct.<<

I can't wait either but I doubt it's going to be super factually correct. I suspect they'll get the proper spirit (Go Sparta!), tell a damn fine and entertaining story and leave you with a super experience.

It's Frank Miller for Pete's sake. He's not going to let some ancient historian's nit-picking get in the way of telling an ageless story in a bloody way.

I figure it will be like "The Patriot." A great movie, true enough to the spirit of the times, but not a slave to the history. Kind of like some of the John Wayne Westerns.

Checklist:
Leonidas.....check
DIP Mission to save civilization.....check
300 Spartans.....check
Thousands of bad guys.....check
Basic Spartan mystique.....check
Buckets of bloood.....check
More buckets of blood......check
Extra buckets of blood.....check
Entrails.....check
Swords.....check
Spears.....check
Millions of arrows.....check

What more does one really need for a good time?

-=Dirge. We've been kicking ash for centuries!=-
Re: 300 03/08/2007 08:45 PM CST
>I can't wait either but I doubt it's going to be super factually correct. I suspect they'll get the proper spirit (Go Sparta!), tell a damn fine and entertaining story and leave you with a super experience.

I believe it's actually pretty much verbatim to Miller's graphic novel. From the reviews I've read, there is very little stray from the novel. Guessing from the content of the novel being, well, fiction in all but the grandest scheme, I'm looking forward to a great battle and not learning a whole lot about history.

-Durnil
Re: 300 03/09/2007 04:57 PM CST
If only he had 1 more rank in HT.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: 300 03/09/2007 08:21 PM CST
That dude was using tailwind :(

I am --- Navak
Re: 300 03/09/2007 08:35 PM CST
And a new signature line is found.....

GameMaster Niamah
Barbarian Liaison

"Give them nothing, take from them, everything!"
Re: 300 03/09/2007 09:57 PM CST
If your every interested, read about the Greeks in World War Two.

For a small, then weak nation still recovering from 400 years of slavery, armed with only weapons that would have considered rudimentary and dated during world war I, they resisted German dominance the longest of any non English European Nation(They resisted the Germans for 219 days, compared to Norway (61), France (43) and Poland (30)). They were the only country to endure simultaneous attacks from 4 different countries (Albania, Italy, Germany, Bulgaria). Where as Poland lost 1.8% of its total population in resistance, and the Soviet Union lost 2.8%, Greece lost over 10%. Most importantly Greece was to be the launching point of attacks into many weaker areas of Russia. The Greek resistance caused excessive delays in the German plan which allowed Russia to move troops into position in preparation.

(quotes)

"For the sake of historical truth I must verify that only the Greeks, of all the adversaries who confronted us, fought with bold courage and highest disregard of death"-Adolf Hitler

"Regardless of what the future historians shall say, what we can say now, is that Greece gave Mussolini an unforgettable lesson, that she was the motive for the revolution in Yugoslavia, that she held the Germans in the mainland and in Crete for six weeks, that she upset the chronological order of all German High Command's plans and thus brought a general reversal of the entire course of the war and we won"-Sir Robert Antony Eden

"The war with Greece proved that nothing is firm in the military and that surprises always await us"-Benito Mussolini

"I am sorry because I am getting old and shall not live long to thank the Greek People, whose resistance decided WWII"

"You fought unarmed and won, small against big. We owe you gratitude, because you gave us time to defend ourselves. As Russians and as people we thank you" -Moscow Government Radio following initial Nazi attacks.

"On the 28th of October 1940 Greece was given a deadline of three hours to decide on war or peace. But even if a three day or three week or three year deadline were given, the response would have been the same. The Greeks taught dignity throughout the centuries. When the entire world had lost all hope, the Greek people dared to question the invincibility of the German monster raising against it the proud spirit of freedom" - Franklin D Roosevelt

"Until now we used to say that the Greeks fight like heroes. Now we shall say: The heroes fight like Greeks" - Winston Churchill

"Because only we, Contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle" - Aeschyllus

Farewell, remorse: all good to me is lost; Evil, be thou my good.
~Paradise Lost (bk. IX, l. 171)
Re: 300 03/10/2007 02:45 AM CST
That movie kicked ass. Went and saw it at the midnight release with my 2 other buddies up here in the great white north of Alaska that play DR.
Re: 300 03/11/2007 08:01 AM CDT
There's no reason we can't be civil.

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Guru
Re: 300 03/11/2007 10:41 AM CDT
This movie should have provided a strong public service announcement for all Barbarians out there. Train shield.

Hahaha fighting in the shade. I'd love some kinda cool RP ability to smack arrows off our shield if we block one.

-Galren Moonskin

Messenger Boy: The Thessalonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
Re: 300 03/11/2007 11:49 AM CDT
Mmm i kind viewed them as non magic utilizing paladins/barb half breeds. The observance of the law, the strict discipline in fighting in large groups, the primary emphasis on the shield. If there was a guild like someone the spartans were in 300, probably be armor prim, weapon / survival secondary. Real life spartans of course wore some of the heaviest armor in the world at that time.

Farewell, remorse: all good to me is lost; Evil, be thou my good.
~Paradise Lost (bk. IX, l. 171)
Re: 300 03/11/2007 02:03 PM CDT
Ahhh. I thought the movie was simply amazing. It was also the first movie where I've seen a group of folks from Warner Bro's doing an exit poll on! They had some 300 people waiting in line to see it too... just incredible.

If you look at the actual warriors in 300 (not the real life spartans) they WERE the Dragonrealms barbarian guild. Light armor, medium shields, berserker rage, discipline, weapon diversity and their battlecries and roars (such as when the commander lost his son, and his screams of grief drove an immense fear into the hearts of their enemies).

As for the real life spartans, I tried doing some research but it is very confusing. Several places talk about the "superior arms and armor" but I highly doubt the Spartans had anything like steel maile/plate armor (maybe bronze plate?) during that time period. Most paintings from that era show everyone in the nude anyways, so who knows?

Beyond all that, I thought the liberty the movie took was in good taste. The message of the movie was true - and that is all that matters. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the humor they worked into the epic. What's best is how so much of it actually happened.

Out of curiosity - does anyone know what "heavy" armor was during that time period? My research shows a glut of misinformation is out there. They were in the early iron age right? I don't see any evidence of steel maile/plate being available during that time period. Most paintings from that time period show only lightly clad men (mostly nude) so that offers no help :/

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: 300 03/11/2007 02:47 PM CDT
<< Most paintings from that time period show only lightly clad men (mostly nude) so that offers no help :/

Works for me! Men fighting in loincloths and helms with shield and spear. Yup, works just fine for me. ;)

GameMaster Niamah
Barbarian Liaison

"Give them nothing, take from them, everything!"
Re: 300 03/11/2007 03:18 PM CDT
I just saw a history channel special about the 300 and the battle of Thermopylae. It was pretty interesting. According to the program, the Spartans had bronze armor (plate) and bronze covered wooden shields.

The persians wore scale armor. The metal scales being no thicker than playing cards. They also carried wicker shields and that would not stop the Greek spears. Even the Immortals (the Persian elite heavy infantry) were armored lightly compared to the Spartans.

-Gavyn

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
Re: 300 03/11/2007 03:51 PM CDT
>>Actual armor consisted of a mostly full-body cover of mesh chain (can't remember the exact type off the top of my head) with some leather underlay.

No, what they had on was pretty accurate minus the bare rippling torso (sorry Niamah). Hoplite armor, though variable due to citizens being responsible for procuring their own, consisted of greaves, a breastplate, a helmet (Corinthian, not Thracian -- Thracian were the ones with a wide brim and full facemask as seen in the Thracian gladiator style), a wooden shield, spear, and a xiphos or kopis (which was the sword shown in the movie). All the armor would be made of bronze. The Spartans wore red cloaks and had a red lambda painted on their shield (standing for Lakedaimon, the Spartan territory).

Here's an image from a red-figure kylix that shows hoplite gear in fine detail: http://www.livius.org/a/1/greece/hoplite_kmkg.JPG

~Thilan
Re: 300 03/11/2007 03:54 PM CDT
>>Works for me! Men fighting in loincloths and helms with shield and spear. Yup, works just fine for me. ;)

GameMaster Niamah
Barbarian Liaison<<

Anyone remember that great line from History of the World?

"I love "Forward Harch!"

-=Dirge. We've been kicking ash for centuries!=-
Re: 300 03/11/2007 04:47 PM CDT
I'm sure Niamah wouldn't mind settling for a 6-pack. Greek armor was not always full-body.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: 300 03/20/2007 07:00 PM CDT
Werent the Greeks obsessed with physique making the rippedness not so unplausible?

Player of Gilart
Despite your best efforts, skinning the gargoyle just isn't going to happen this time. Maybe helping little old Halfling widows across a busy Crossing street is more your line of work?
Re: 300 03/20/2007 09:34 PM CDT
>>Werent the Greeks obsessed with physique making the rippedness not so unplausible?

By implausible I meant fighting barechested as they did in the movie. Real hoplites would have worn a breastplate.

Interestingly enough, the Spartans were pioneers of calisthenics, and the Persians laughed at them as they did their exercises the morning of the battle. (Calisthenics for Spartans had a religious significance on top of the physical benefits.) Oops.

~Thilan
Re: 300 03/21/2007 02:45 PM CDT
>>I haven't seen it yet, but are the fighting barechested, or are they wearing the traditional greek "musculature" armor.

They are naked save for a cured leather jockstrap and a particularly dashing red cape.

...since Moon Mages are the absolute last guild in the game we think about when it comes to physical combat perks.

-Armifer

We're behind empaths? Sheesh that just made me depressed.

-Durandil
Re: 300 03/21/2007 02:48 PM CDT
This:

http://ashleykathbilsky.com/db1/00057/ashleykathbilsky.com/_uimages/gerard-butler-300-3.jpg

Fuquois
Re: 300 03/21/2007 02:49 PM CDT
What is that sound?

Oh, that's Niamah swooning.

Me: "Master, what is it?"

Solomon: "I just felt a great disturbance in the force. As if the entire Feedback department cried out and then was suddenly silenced. Go back to your coding."

GM Oolan Jeel
Re: 300 03/21/2007 04:35 PM CDT
>>What is that sound?

>>Oh, that's Niamah swooning.

No no, swooning don't make sounds, thats her rifling through her plastic wrap on her pack of handy wipes to get rid of the drool.

::chortles::

::flees::

~Dalkin~
Re: 300 04/13/2007 04:56 PM CDT
thought film was fantastic, although i think it was evil of them to show us what 300 could do against the whole persian empire armies then stop it when the 10k spartans and 30k greeks turn up to take on what was left of the persian's.

if they was barbarian/paladin halfbreed's i'd say the stronger gene in them was the barbarian gene, there sheer agression and art in fighting put's them out the paladin's door til they go on the defence and use there shield.

on another note someone mentioned being able to break the arrows that lodge in our films like they do in the film, could this be worked into realms? i'd love to be able to do that.

Teloc