Regarding Yogi 09/20/2015 11:44 AM CDT
Kodius, on December 8 2013, you stated:

"Yogi - allows meditation without penalty* while standing, at reduced penalty* in combat, reduces cost of meditating"

Is this still the case? Were you suggesting that if you have this mastery and implement it while in combat, your meditations will not be as effective?

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Regarding Yogi 09/20/2015 11:45 AM CDT
That was quite a long time ago. I'm not sure where the ability stands today. We've always been going back and forth on the meditation restrictions and combat. I'll dig it up this week and see.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Regarding Yogi 09/20/2015 11:54 AM CDT
I appreciate that! Thanks!

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Regarding Yogi 09/20/2015 05:05 PM CDT

I have to say, the Barb masteries are some of the least transparent abilities I've encounter in game.
Re: Regarding Yogi 09/20/2015 05:46 PM CDT
In terms of what they do? I've posted it several times now. It is listed on Elanthipedia and is at least as descriptive as what Feats do!

Powermonger - Bonus to Inner Fire skill, more precise IF readings, +passive IF regen limit. (The passive limit can be easily seen on POWER's output)

Yogi - Allows meditating while standing and engaged at range, reduces RT and cost of meditating.

Titan - Decreases maintenance cost of Berserks.

Strategos - Increases bonus IF from killing enemies and striking in PvP, unlocks ROAR AREA.

Tribalist - Debilitation skill bonus, reduces the maintenance cost and passive regen reduction of forms.

Duelist mastery - Increases passive IF regen limit by a large amount when out of combat.

As for actual #s and %s? The bonuses depend heavily on IF Skill and I'd need to calculate what each one of your individual bonuses are. That just isn't possible, and we generally don't give out specific #s with regards to abilities anyways.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Regarding Yogi 09/20/2015 06:58 PM CDT
I find them well described... except the way yogi was initially explained (not on the pedia, but that quote I pasted from December 2013). The way I read into it was the only reason I have yet to choose it. But I have faith in Kodius digging and sharing! :)

Re: Regarding Yogi 09/20/2015 08:47 PM CDT

What they do is well described, but we have no idea what the sizes of these bonuses are like, or which work best for various purposes. Someone a while ago posted which masteries were required to utilize the full suite of berserks and forms, but I cannot find it now.

I guess the confusion is around the decision between Strategos, Powermonger and/or Tribalist/Titan (for forms/berserks specifically).

As for exact percentages - it's on a sliding scale? I thought feats provided a flat 20% bonus to ranks?
Re: Regarding Yogi 09/21/2015 11:43 PM CDT
No, I don't recall feats applying a 20% bonus. But we don't usually publicize bonus amounts for anything beyond the basic stat/skill boosters.

Even if I said 15% berserk reduction, 55% meditation reduction and 20% form reduction, the numbers would be rather meaningless. Do you want to berserk, or use forms, or meditate? It isn't like the bonuses stack or affect one another... they were balanced to be approximately as effective for the particular abilities they are affecting, as each other.

Re: Regarding Yogi 09/22/2015 08:00 AM CDT

Ok, but again, Strategos and Powermonger both reportedly increase IF availability, Strategos by increasing the IF gained from each kill, and Powermonger by increasing the regen limit - assuming you're killing as frequently as you can for IF gains (I forget, is it one kill every minute? two?), which mastery will result in more IF for your use? I've spoken to a lot of people who didn't know, and suffered a bit of choice paralysis in the the whole PAFO paradigm.

I picked up Powermonger, and the difference between what I can now do is... frankly, almost appalling. I went from being able to run 2 forms, and 1, maybe 2 berserks, if and only if I spammed ANALYZE FLAME. With Powermonger, I can now run 3 forms and 3 berserks, and do whatever I want in combat - so long as I'm killing regularly, IF stays strong. I finally, at 78th circle, feel like I can use my abilities, and it's pretty awesome.

Would I see a similar result with Strategos? Truthfully, I almost hesitate to post this, because now with Powermonger I feel like all the problems I was having with IF (which were partially solved by solely using ANALYZE FLAME in combat) are gone and with respect to buffing and ability use, I'm able to do what all my MU characters are, namely, use more than 2-3 abilities at a time. But did it really need to wait to picking up a Mastery to get to that point? The barb milestones are very far down the advancement tree indeed - it shouldn't take until 78th to be running the host of offensive buffing I wanted to be running (Dragon/Eagle, Bear, Wildfire, Tsunami). I'm all for making players choose abilities and not just run ALL the buffs ALL the time, but the NEED for masteries seems too punitive to me.
Re: Regarding Yogi 09/24/2015 02:35 PM CDT
JHALIASCLERIC,

The difference you are seeing is a combination of getting bigger AND the mastery. I gunned a little character to powermonger and it was not as noticeable as you found.

That being said, I do think Powermonger, Titan, Strategos AND Tribalist are all worth their slot points. I'm not sure they are completely worth it until you get bigger, but there is a reason they cost four slots, they are pretty cool.

Right now my 150+ Barb has

Flame, Power, Monkey, Contemplation, Cyclone, Bear, Turtle, Shriek, Turtle, Powermonger, Templar

Anger, Dragon, Embrace, Python, Tenacity, Hiss, Wail, Titan, Strategos

Rage, Tornado, Eagle, Flashflood, Piranha, Strike, Owl, Panther, Tribalist

I have 7 slots left to pick and will probably drop Hiss, add Wildfire, Bastion, Toad and Badger.

Hope that helps.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Regarding Yogi 09/24/2015 04:31 PM CDT

>The difference you are seeing is a combination of getting bigger AND the mastery. I gunned a little character to powermonger and it was not as noticeable as you found.

I'm sure that factors in, but the point at which I tested was only 3 circles higher than the previous complaints I was making about IF usage.

But I have heard from other barbs who are 150+ that the four masteries you listed only produce a minor effect at their range. Maybe there's a sweet spot where powermonger really makes the difference? I feel like I'm playing a totally different character since picking it up, insofar as being able to run what feels like 2x as many abilities. Having the passive regen point for IF be so much higher also means I can more reasonably put up two meditations, not having to wait around as long for IF to recover to put up the second.

I can't wait to get to the point where I hunt something I need more defensive buffing on, because now I have options.
Re: Regarding Yogi 09/27/2015 10:38 PM CDT
>Is this still the case? Were you suggesting that if you have this mastery and implement it while in combat, your meditations will not be as effective?

To start off I am nowhere near being able to pickup even my first mastery.

This one is perhaps the most intriguing to me. Allowing access to meditations in combat is something I would like to take advantage of. If I have to take a penalty to them for this access... I suppose it could be ok if the penalty was rather small or could be overcome with skill. Although I would prefer no penalty for a four slot mastery.

>We've always been going back and forth on the meditation restrictions and combat. I'll dig it up this week and see.

Thank you. I hope you can find a solution for these issues. Also could you tell us why there would have to be extra restrictions placed on meditations even after choosing Yogi and possibly what types of restrictions. This could help to better understand what is intended and possibly lead to some players suggesting things that might help get this off your plate.
Re: Regarding Yogi 09/28/2015 10:32 AM CDT
I am testing out Yogi with Contemplation and Tenacity resets while in combat. I'm not noticing any penalty to their effectiveness while starting them in combat. Both run other 30 roisaen (I have Powermonger to see the time) and appear to provide the same bonus/protection levels as when I start them out of combat and then move into combat. If there is a penalty for starting in combat it appears to be so slight I don't see it.

On the plus/plus side, being able to replenish meditations while in combat is awesome. I think it opens up a lot of hunting options for the more adventurous meat grinder barbarians out there.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: Regarding Yogi 09/28/2015 05:18 PM CDT
If you are at all a PvP barbarian I don't see the utility for Yogi to be perfectly honest. Its a heavy slot cost and there is zero need for it.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Regarding Yogi 09/29/2015 01:18 AM CDT
Agreed but it easy enough to forget Yogi and switch to another Mastery you don't have by end game or if you go heavy PVP for awhile in the middle of circling at higher levels.

The only meditation that would be beneficial during PVP that would require Yogi is Dispel, IMO. I wonder if any high circle barbs would be willing to play with Yogi + Dispel in PVP during this trial period and report to us how it actually works and with what types of spells. Any takers?

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!