Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
Meditation 02/03/2004 11:25 AM CST
Any thoughts on a meditation that allows us to swing a two-handed weapon with one hand allowing us to use shields?
Re: Meditation 02/03/2004 04:41 PM CST
Would be cool if you could use it to dual wield two two handed weapons :)

Beast Cerrebus
Re: Meditation 02/04/2004 03:28 AM CST
>>Would be cool if you could use it to dual wield two two handed weapons

Oh, hell ya. ::imagines smashing things using both his 2HE and 2HB primaries at once::

-Steinn-

"[A Barbarian's] lust for gold is immense, their love of drink boundless. Barbarians are without restraint... Although generally they are considered good-looking." -Herwig Wolfram, The History of the Goths
Re: Meditation 02/04/2004 03:09 PM CST
Nah, go with 2HB and squish the head like a rotten grape between them.

In the end all things return to Chaos

* Skiori was just struck down! [11:20 pm]
Meditation Ideas 06/16/2004 08:48 AM CDT
Just something I was mulling over last night while stuck in traffic. Yeah I chose elemental names but it is because they were the basis for my ideas (from various RL martial arts)

Wind- Defensive- Silent and malleable like the winds of the world this meditation allows a barbarian to rapidly respond and adapt to his combat environment by becoming attuned through his/her senses to the changes in the air around them.

Pro- Defensive reaction speed upped (Parry, Evasion and MO). Particularly beneficial against ranged attacks.

Con- Slight offensive penalty due to concentration on defenses.

Water- Defensive- Like water the Barbarian becomes completely fluid of mind and movement. Foes have compared attacking a master of this meditation to attacking a river. One comes away all wet but the river is unchanged.

Pro- Defensive boost is larger then Air but is for melee (and pole weapon) range only.

Con- Slightly larger offensive penalty. Slight penalty when defending against ranged attacks due to focus upon immediate range (melee) threats.

Fire- Offensive- Like a wild fire the barbarian becomes an all consuming blur of destruction. Like the fire the barbarian must beware lest it burn itself out.

Pro- Offensive boost (rank or damage improvement) as the Barbarian is solely focused upon decimating his foes.

Con- Defensive penalty as the barbarian is solely focused upon attacking and not defending him/herself.

Earth- Offensive- Stoic and unrelenting the barbarian plods forward regardless of damage dealt to roll over his/her foes.

Pro-This would be an anti-stun meditation that allows a barbarian to continue slugging.

Con-No Offense/Defense boost. Possibly burn a small amount of IF as this would almost be a controlled portion of berserk to shrug off stuns.

Spirit- Combo- By studying his/her foes the Barbarian becomes in tune with their spirit and can pre-emptively react to them in combat.

Pro-Defense and Offense boost against singular foes.

Con- MO penalty as the barbarian is focusing solely upon 1 opponet.

Just some ideas.

The Big Ugly One

Its all a matter of how you look at it. Some people say assassins are the elite of the elite because you never see them.. and they always win. -Dusk
Re: Meditation Ideas 06/16/2004 08:59 AM CDT
Those are some very nice ideas Big Ugly. I really liked the Earth/Anti-Stun meditation one you threw out there.

~Ternith Sjomah
Re: Meditation Ideas 06/16/2004 12:22 PM CDT
Nice ideas there, and while an anti-stun ability would be nice, I see it more as a berserk ability than a meditation ability. Meditation generally, to me anyways, seems that it would require peace and quiet and focus, real hard to do in the middle of combat.

Some nice ideas all around tho. Way to give em somethin ta think about.

Maulem~
>
Droughtman says, "Your blockers for today are Grishnok, Sorrow, Velmix and Teiro."
Re: Meditation Ideas 06/16/2004 01:02 PM CDT
The earth meditation I envision more as a centering type focus that allows a barbarian to just shrug off pain to an extent there by dismissing the stun. Not the actual damage ALA berserk. So while a barbarian using the Earth meditation would be difficult (or nearly impossible) to stun they could be killed by accumulated damage without pushing out to the damage capacity of berserk.

I would also envision these having the same restrictions as dances for berserking. Have to stop before berserking as this would be going from extreme control to out of control. Perhaps at higher levels typing berserk would be enough to snap it over.

The Big Ugly One

Its all a matter of how you look at it. Some people say assassins are the elite of the elite because you never see them.. and they always win. -Dusk
Re: Meditation Ideas 06/16/2004 02:12 PM CDT
>I would also envision these having the same restrictions as dances for berserking. Have to stop before berserking as this would be going from extreme control to out of control.

I never thought of meditations like this. I thought of it as being something you have to do at a fire, while all peacful-like. Once you are done with the meditation, you are focused and get the benefits of said meditation. Choosing to berserk while under those effects would kill the benefits of the meditation because of the sheer explosion of everything the barbarian is into a frenzy.

I would like to be able to berserk out of anything. I can't wait until I hit 80th so I can actually feel safe dancing at level again.

Re: Meditation Ideas 06/16/2004 02:33 PM CDT
Meditation does not mandate a peaceful setting though that setting does make it easier.

Meditation is a clearing of the mind of all extraneous distraction, influences and thoughts leaving it empty. See also -No Mind. It can be used for a variety of reasons, relaxation, contemplation of specifics or preparing oneself for battle.

The Big Ugly One

Re: Meditation Ideas 06/16/2004 03:14 PM CDT
>Meditation does not mandate a peaceful setting though that setting does make it easier.

If the new meditations dont require us to kneel and use a flame as the current one does, I guess you're right. If they do, however, I'd wouldnt advise anyone NOT to do it in a peaceful setting, heh.

I hate to use this analogy, but it works: I thought of meditations as spells. One shot, you perform, you get the effects. Has anyone who went to the con heard anything about how they will work in respect to this (meaning how we'll need to meditate)?

Re: Meditation Ideas 06/16/2004 03:19 PM CDT
>>I hate to use this analogy, but it works: I thought of meditations as spells. One shot, you perform, you get the effects. Has anyone who went to the con heard anything about how they will work in respect to this (meaning how we'll need to meditate)?

It is going to depend on the meditation. Some will be quick for just a one time result. Others will take a while to activate, but will last a while.

At least, that is what I got from the meeting.

Brabs

Fighting with a bunch of archers in Geni.

"Hey, it's shoot GENI, not shoot GEN!"

Ambassador Genneron, of M'riss
[Arcath] "Public Service Announcement: Please shoot at the archers and not at Arcath"
Re: Meditation Ideas 06/16/2004 03:52 PM CDT
My idea of meditation was also along the lines of something done out of combat. My example here, borrowing hevily from the elements again because I think it's a cool theme, would be Stone.

Stone is basically a mixture of pain tolerance and toughening of the skin. The result in the field would be that the Barbarian would resist light wounds as if they were brushing hits, and all other wounds would affect the Barbarian at one category lighter than they normally would for both vitality loss and injury.

This would include some stun resistance as a stunning hit would have to be one category stronger than normal to stun the Barbarian. The concept behind this is fantasy analogy to walking on broken glass, lying on a bed of nails, or poking things through ones skin without bleeding or feeling pain.

In my thinking, this meditation would last as long as the Barbarian's concentration allows, and as long as he has inner fire. It would not consume fire, or vary with the amount of fire, but would require that the Barbarian have some inner fire, or perhaps even a certain level of inner fire. The idea behind that is that the lack of fire is an indication that the barbarian has expended all his resources. Berserking should break concentration and lose the meditation entirely.

I imagine meditations would be something one does before entering battle, so you would basically pick the sort of meditation you want to take into battle with you, then perform it, then go fight. It wouldn't be the sort of thing you would decide to change on a whim during a fight as it requires a greater committment than that.

As an odd down-side to it (because our folks are fond of having non-standard down-sides to our abilties), perhaps the Barbarian would have to clear his mind of all else in order to focus on the meditation, so starting a meditation would clear your exp pool. In that case I'd strongly suggest using favor orbs to mop it up before meditating.

Gruesome

"You're just going to have to figure out what it wants. What is its motivation?"
"It's a rock monster. It doesn't have motivation."
"See, that's your problem, Jason. You were never serious about the craft."
Re: Meditation Ideas 06/16/2004 05:17 PM CDT
<<so starting a meditation would clear your exp pool.

Hopefully not.

Codiax.
Re: Meditation Ideas 06/16/2004 06:38 PM CDT
Why does everyone always seem so hell-bent on giving our abilities crazy drawbacks?

Casting offensive/defensive spells don't have drawbacks, and other than fire consumption, Dances don't. I don't count inability to berserk through dances, because that's being reworked.

How about we just get some nice skills (I do like some of your suggestions) that are just... hm... beneficial?

-Aya

"If you are flammable and have legs, you can never be blocking a fire exit" - Mitch Hedberg.

>You pull Nasmyth to his feet, but he just falls back over since he is dead.
Re: Meditation Ideas 06/16/2004 09:07 PM CDT
I for one post drawbacks to give a perspective on "game balance" which seems to be an eye catcher, or at least shows some attempt at balancing out the power suggested by the ability suggestion.

And we all know how important game balance is. ::grin::

Maulem~
>
Droughtman says, "Your blockers for today are Grishnok, Sorrow, Velmix and Teiro."
Re: Meditation Ideas 06/16/2004 09:35 PM CDT
>>I for one post drawbacks to give a perspective on "game balance" which seems to be an eye catcher, or at least shows some attempt at balancing out the power suggested by the ability suggestion.

We don't need a drawback to our abilites. I don't see a reason for them to be there.

Brabs

Fighting with a bunch of archers in Geni.

"Hey, it's shoot GENI, not shoot GEN!"

Ambassador Genneron, of M'riss
[Arcath] "Public Service Announcement: Please shoot at the archers and not at Arcath"
Re: Meditation Ideas 06/16/2004 10:56 PM CDT
>Why does everyone always seem so hell-bent on giving our abilities crazy drawbacks?

Because our GMs do give our abilities crazy drawbacks, like titles affecting roar strengths, or the proposed drawback of discipline hurting berserks. No other guild has the strength of an ability affected by the title worn, or has it so that increasing a stat decreases an ability.

As a guild, we're ground-breaking when it comes to drawbacks.

I figure if we suggest bizarre and arbitrary penalties, it will make our GMs work that much harder to find bizarre and arbitrary penalties that will surprise us. They should appreciate the challenge.

I, too, would like to see abilities without drawbacks, but I don't know that our team agrees with that philosophy, or has the clout to give us purely beneficial things while other guilds cry "foul".

At least clearing an exp pool would be something we could work around by filling up favor orbs - it's not like I suggested limiting the length of ther meditation based on the number of letters in the Barbarian's name or anything fun like that.

Gruesome

"You're just going to have to figure out what it wants. What is its motivation?"
"It's a rock monster. It doesn't have motivation."
"See, that's your problem, Jason. You were never serious about the craft."
Re: Meditation Ideas 06/17/2004 11:57 AM CDT
A meditation to help protect us from WvW spells, something that calms our mind or blocks it.

Something to assist with finding hidden creatures/characters, maybe it could increase roar strength or volume so much it scares people out like they used to.

Would also be good to have a way to bump up BMR without dancing since now it feels like it is either on or off without a lot of inbetween. Maybe a slower burn of IF, less than dance but more than base.

An ability to toughen our skin to resist disease, infection and spells like frost bite.

Something that increases discipline by focusing our mind, or maybe even charisma by tuning our voice or body to incease dances and roars.

They need to be something unique and hopefully useful.
Meditation to Remove Spell Effects 08/17/2004 06:19 PM CDT
How about a meditation that focuses our IF to "burn" off any spell effects that are currently on us?

~Bractos

Weapon Forging
A barbarian's inherent understanding of weapons makes him or her a natural at the forge. Anyone can forge a crude weapon, but only barbarians can produce legendary quality weapons sought after by all.
Re: Meditation to Remove Spell Effects 08/17/2004 10:58 PM CDT
Finally a way to overcome mental blast when it hits ye make it like berserk stunned or incapcitated or whatever ye can do it

Artillery Pounder of Peasants
Re: Meditation to Remove Spell Effects 08/18/2004 03:22 PM CDT
>Finally a way to overcome mental blast when it hits ye make it like berserk stunned or incapcitated or whatever ye can do it

...Huh?

~ Renous
______
I must go down to the seas again
to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way
where the wind's like a whetted knife
Re: Meditation to Remove Spell Effects 08/18/2004 05:23 PM CDT
I was more thinking of getting rid of ethereal shields, sop and things like that that "helpful" magickers cast on groups. Applications beyond that are of course possible.

~Bractos

Weapon Forging
A barbarian's inherent understanding of weapons makes him or her a natural at the forge. Anyone can forge a crude weapon, but only barbarians can produce legendary quality weapons sought after by all.
Meditations 12/23/2004 02:50 AM CST
Does anybody have an idea of what the future of meditations may be, and when? I'd really like to see this developed. Meditations are perfect for the way I want to RP my character. Perfect, I'd think, for a lot of barbarians who want to be more of a disciplined, schooled warrior than a roaring, berserking brute. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Between dances and meditations, I could be exactly the kind of warrior I want to be. I hope some progress can be made with these.
Re: Meditations 12/23/2004 07:35 AM CST
I'm interested in meditation developement too. Though I don't think they are necessarily only the province of "disciplined warriors." Right now I think things are roughly split for both disciplined warriors and berserkers. The way I see it right now:

Most roars - berserker type
Most battle cries - discipline type

dances - discipline type

berserks - berserker type

dual load - discipline type

choke - berserker type

stance points - both

Not saying we don't need more. Just curious how others see the split. I think the berserker type abilities are really more recently developed than the discipline type ones, and the discipline ones, especially dances, are still a fair bit more powerful overall than the berserker abilities.

~Bractos

Weapon Forging
Re: Meditations 12/23/2004 03:02 PM CST
<<I'm interested in meditation developement too. Though I don't think they are necessarily only the province of "disciplined warriors." Right now I think things are roughly split for both disciplined warriors and berserkers. The way I see it right now:>>

<<Most roars - berserker type
<<Most battle cries - discipline type

<<dances - discipline type

<<berserks - berserker type

<<dual load - discipline type

<<choke - berserker type

<<stance points - both

<<Not saying we don't need more. Just curious how others see the split. I think the berserker type abilities are really more recently developed than the discipline type ones, and the discipline ones, especially dances, are still a fair bit more powerful overall than the berserker abilities.>>

<<~Bractos

Good posting Brac... I mostly agree with you.

I can see how meditations could interact with both berserking and dancing. There is definitely potential to integrate it with both systems.

A berserker could use meditation to focus himself before he lets loose, to make it more intense. And to help recover afterwards. It's like the counterpoint to the berserk rage.

And for the dancing fighter, meditations would be an extension of that focused mindstate.

I read over some of the ideas suggested here in the past and there are a few I really like... keep in mind I haven't been around lately and I don't know what is actually planned, if anything.

1. Inner Fire recovery. Obvious... meditating to increase IF recovery speed.

2. EXP absorption. Meditating after battle to increase the rate of absorption... if necessary for game balance, it could be limited to just EXP from the primary skillset. This makes great IC sense, but I can imagine it would take careful balancing.

3. Stone skin.. obviously.. a meditation that would buffer some hits.. and boost vitality.

4. Death grip. A meditation used before a battle that would cause the warrior to hold on to his weapon if he dies.

And here's some thoughts of my own..

Stat boosts... it would make good IC sense to me that a trained warrior could focus before a battle and heighten his reflexes and/or agility.

Actually, it would be interesting if meditations allowed the warrior to temporarily transmute his stats... by that I mean, sacrifice some power in exchange for a big agility boost, or sacrifice some stamina or something in exchange for a big reflex boost. And vice versa, sacrifice some agility for power... if there are options both ways, it could support both the finesse fighters and the brutes. I think that would be a pretty flexible and nice function.

I'll post some more when I think of them...
Re: Meditations 12/25/2004 07:05 PM CST
Great ideas, both of ya. Just wanted to say that Panther's primary function is to boost agi/ref secondary function is to boost stealth but that boost is minimal since as per the gm's it's a secondary function for one and two it's not our guild focus.

Battle Rager Catullus
Meditation wish list 09/05/2005 03:43 AM CDT
I've seen a lot of good ideas for meditations.
Here are some things I'd like to see with meditations, well, ones that I think would make sense for the guild.

1. A meditation that will boost dance effectiveness. Meditation and focusing of the mind to dance more effectively. (Discipline boost) This is honestly the first thing I thought of when I first heard about meditations years ago.

2. A meditation that will help to defend against fear/mental attacks.

I know it's been said that meditations will not be focused on boosts, but rather on some effect or outcome.
I just think that there's so much more potential for the ability if that door isn't closed.

-Gavyn

"There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't."
Re: Meditation wish list 09/05/2005 07:25 AM CDT

>>I know it's been said that meditations will not be focused on boosts, but rather on some effect or outcome.
>>I just think that there's so much more potential for the ability if that door isn't closed.

It's not closed. It's simply that the primary focus of meditations as a whole is planned to be effect oriented.

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Liaison
Re: Meditation wish list 09/05/2005 11:43 PM CDT
>>I've seen a lot of good ideas for meditations.
Here are some things I'd like to see with meditations, well, ones that I think would make sense for the guild.

1. A meditation that will boost dance effectiveness. Meditation and focusing of the mind to dance more effectively. (Discipline boost) This is honestly the first thing I thought of when I first heard about meditations years ago.

2. A meditation that will help to defend against fear/mental attacks.

I know it's been said that meditations will not be focused on boosts, but rather on some effect or outcome.
I just think that there's so much more potential for the ability if that door isn't closed.<<

There's only one meditation that I really want, one that ends a berserk prematurely.
Re: Meditation wish list 09/10/2005 12:39 PM CDT
How about a meditation that will help you get to a clear mind state quicker if you are all murky and such?
Re: Meditation wish list 09/10/2005 01:34 PM CDT
>>How about a meditation that will help you get to a clear mind state quicker if you are all murky and such?

A meditation would be nice. Or else you can use a favor orb. :)

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Meditation wish list 09/10/2005 01:43 PM CDT
Favor orbs do not actually reduce your mindstate. They will remove experience from your pools so that your mindstate ceases worsening, but you can rub a favor orb until you have no experience left and it will take the same amount of time to clear your mind as if you went into sleep mode and ceased learning skills.

Orpheus: "You've been powering this machine with a forsaken child?"
Venture: "What? It's not like I used the whole thing."
Re: Meditation wish list 09/16/2005 08:02 PM CDT
I'm young, so some of my suggestions may already exist in some form, but;

1)Meditation- (Will to live or focus life force?) Used when near death to will yourself to live long enough to travel a few rooms. Just to get to a more populated area before keeling over. For example, I was hunting in Fire Sprites/Maidens/Cats the other day. I didn't see another person anywhere near there all day. Over two hours and NOT A SOUL. I was killed once and departed immediately because waiting for help would have been futile.
This meditation if done when near death, would allow you to run, maybe 10 rooms or so by focusing your will to live or letting your survival instinct take over. If used, you would not really be conscious of where you were running to, you would basically block out all reality and just let instinct guide you.

2)Meditation- (Inner Eye or 6th sense?) Allows you to parry or dodge attacks much more efficiently because you are attuned to the situation and can almost predict the movements of your enemies. Kind of like the blind master from Kung Fu or the blind swordsman Zatoichi. Could help against thievery too, maybe.

3)Mediation- (Extension of self) Pre combat meditaion done upon a certain weapon, attunes you more to the weapon, making it more of an extension of your self. This allows you to learn more or absorb skill faster in that particular weapon class.

4)Mediation- (Mimic Beast) Either pre combat; meditate on a creature before engaging with it, or post combat, rather than skinning a creature or searching it. Mimic Beast allows you to study or reflect upon the battle and learn certain aspects of the creatures fighting style to adopt or create special combat moves based on the crature. [sort of like tiger crane kung fu, etc.] For example... I am going in to battle Ogres and meditate on them. A scout ogre shoots at me and I learn a little crossbow skill from observing it or reflecting upon it after the battle. Can NOT be done on magic using creatures because it would wreck IF.

5)Mediation- (Confuse Enemies) Used pre-combat. It would impose a sense of confusion upon cratures when your berserk ends. Only for a few seconds, they would back off. For example; Before going into battle with cougars, I meditate on confusing enemies. I'm fighting cougars and find myself swarmed and so I berserk blood/stone. Now the cougars are falling easily, but an Ogre or two wanders in and I can't retreat. WHen the berserks wear off and Im on the ground, the creatures become comfused. They are hesitant to get close because I may spring back to my feet and start the carniage again (Result of meditation). But then they soon realize that I'm wiped out and beat the pulp out of me. It's just a way to get a breather and hopefully have enough time to get on your feet so you have SOME chance of defending yourself.

These are just some things that popped into my mind while I was reading here. They are real rough thoughts, so don't bash me for anything. Maybe one of them can be polished into a gem among the turds.

Pete~Player of several in the Realms of Dragons.

"Yeah, we'll call you," muttered Ron as the knight disappeared, "if we ever need someone mental." -RON (Harry Potter, TPOA)

A man's fate is a man's fate and life is but an illusion- James Clavell
Re: Meditation wish list 09/16/2005 09:13 PM CDT
ALL OF THOSE IDEAS ARE TERRIBLE!! Just joking. It's always good to post a suggestion or idea, never know when the GMs may adopt one. I really like meditations 3 and 4... those sound like they could be very good.
Re: Meditation wish list 09/20/2005 08:10 AM CDT
I love 3 and 4... 4 is SUCH a good idea and RIGHT up a barbarian's alley, it should also come with messaging where if we have more skill in said weapon used by the enemy then we critisize their style and belittle them....

Stone Warrior Deagar,
Order of the Dragon Shield Council Leader
Re: Meditation wish list 10/20/2005 12:00 AM CDT
Number 4...wow. Great idea there! Again, as masters of battle and the tools of war, that would be a fitting skill.

Bez
__
You lick yourself and find that you taste like an alchemist's experiment gone dreadfully awry.
Meditations and berserks 02/16/2006 10:38 PM CST
I think it's fairly obvious that the 'focus' of meditations will probably be more serene, like Dances. But I don't think we should be limited to the standard definition of meditations like a guy sitting in the lotus position practicing Yogacara by trying to clear his mind of all outside influence. I'd like to see meditations instead given a broader approach, as in any altered state of mind where the barbarian uses his or her willpower to achieve an end result.

I already think of Dances as types of meditations, and maybe berserks too, though that could just be a guy frothing at the mouth. My real worry is that meditations will be made stackable with Dances but nor berserks and people will have yet another reason to ignore berserks in favor of Dances. (As if further reason was needed beside not being able to retreat with most of them).

Examples of possible berserking meditations:
Meditate pain: Barbarian focuses his attentions on his delight of the slaughter. Every kill refills some of the barbarian's IF and gives him a temporary stamina/vitality recharge boost. Only one thing is on the Barbarian's mind: killing more enemies. Killing five gives an MO boost (kill armies!), every tenth kill gives the Barb increased attack power on the next hit.

Meditate hatred: The barbarian's mind floods with hatred for his enemies as he meditates on Trothfang's ruthless slaughter. This meditation increases the duration of berserks and each kill makes the Barbarian slightly stronger (like a watered-down version of Grave berserk).

How about instead of a meditation designed specifically to end berserks, make it so that all non-berserk meditations (meditate pain, hatred, blood, etc) immediately end berserks. As the barb's mind grows serene his rage dispenses. Give meditations an RT of 15 seconds or so to initiate and make kneeling/sitting a requirement. That way no one will be able to say 'oh no my berserk didn't work quick meditate and end it' but people wouldn't have to deal with annoyances like trying to lay down for a heal in the hospital while still berserking :/.

Malkien the Barbarian has already been to the moon: that's why there are no signs of life there.
Apis the Cleric's tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

Essence Pool for Meditations 04/13/2006 01:34 AM CDT
Iayn,

For the meditations that are coming out, could you mention what type of essence pool will be used for some meditations?

Will it be one sole constant source like berserks and dances requiring inner fire? Will some require spirit, fatigue hits, and/or vitality for the effects of the meditation to be utilized? If the you or Rhazan could mention your thoughts on what you guys forsee as the essence pool(s) for meditations are, that would be appreciated.

- Simon

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Frontpage.html
Re: Essence Pool for Meditations 04/13/2006 11:02 AM CDT
Everyone who starts a meditation will decrease your IF pool, and not theirs.

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Liaison
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7