Meditation idea 01/08/2003 01:20 PM CST
I can't recall if this idea was posted or not. I'm too lazy to go back and look also heh. Would be something like this:

meditate celpeze
You stare intently at the celpeze's combat stance. You notice that the stance is vulnerable to jabbing attacks. The celpeze looks like it's stanced to attack with it's claws mostly.

Roundtime 5 seconds

During the 5 seconds you would have a penalty to defense against it, but after the 5 seconds you'd have a boost to defense and offense against just this critter. Should last about 15 minutes or until you get stunned for a fairly long amount of time. That's not the best description, but I suck at designing things <g>
Re: Meditation idea 01/08/2003 02:14 PM CST
::drools::

I like

~Viceroy Viptorian Arcinian of the Toggish Council
Re: Meditation idea 01/09/2003 01:29 AM CST
>>I like

Ditto. Seems a bit too powerful though. Remember, we hafta do things that keep us in line with the game balance rather than just lookin to throw our guild over the top. Perhaps an accurate analysis of the critter would be a viable option, but I doubt an actual bonus against fighting it would be feasible.

-Kaelh
Re: Meditation idea 01/09/2003 12:59 PM CST
<Kaelh's post>
Then the meditation would have no purpose at all and I wouldn't want it implemented. We have enough fluff now, don't need another thing that doesn't do anything like flounder.

Pendus
Re: Meditation idea 01/09/2003 01:09 PM CST
First off, IF this were implemented, I'd like to see it work like this.

A meditation is needed before the ability kicks in.
Each strike is automatically imbued if needed to hit the critter.
Each strike costs a token amount of inner fire.
The meditation doesn't last more than maybe a few to a dozen minutes.

Of course, the way I view my inner fire, I don't see it being a source of power that is able to affect anything external. I don't see myself doing anything mystical or ritualistic to my blades. But that's just me. Overall, I like the idea.

~Kodiac
Re: Meditation idea 01/09/2003 01:13 PM CST
>Of course, the way I view my inner fire, I don't see it being a source of power that is able to affect anything external.

Guess you wont be dancing or berserking now will you?Since those bring about physical changes in the body and mind(skill and stats)

Drachus
Re: Meditation idea 01/09/2003 01:19 PM CST
>>Of course, the way I view my inner fire, I don't see it being a source of power that is able to affect anything external.

>Guess you wont be dancing or berserking now will you?Since those bring about physical changes in the body and mind(skill and stats)

Nice try. :)

I was referring to external as "outside of my body". I don't think you can argue convincingly that a change in my mental or physical qualities through a dance or a meditation is truly an external influence.

~Kodiac
Re: Meditation idea 01/09/2003 03:55 PM CST
>>I was referring to external as "outside of my body". I don't think you can argue convincingly that a change in my mental or physical qualities through a dance or a meditation is truly an external influence.

Did someone say bless your fists? ::drools::

-Steinn, brawler
Re: Meditation idea 01/09/2003 08:44 PM CST
The way I see it working is not per say using your IF, just it doesn't fall under any other category. It's just a straight combat boost that would really make us the master of melee.
Re: Meditation idea 01/10/2003 07:48 AM CST
re: Pendus's meditate on critters thing

I think this would be very appropriate for the barbarian guild. I also think the meditation could reveal more information about the critter, such as "you sense that the critter is most resistant to puncture type attacks" or "you sense the critter is most vulnerable to slicing attacks."

~Bractos
Re: Meditation idea 01/10/2003 08:33 AM CST
Maybe even things that it is resistant to. EX: You sense the critter will not be harmed by blunt weapons. Maybe impact damage better way to put it, I not sure. Do know of one critter that can't be harmed with blunts, or sling though. Go to lawn grubs in front of Dunshade if you want to verify it.

Brabs

What's mine is mine, what's yours is mine, what's not bolted down is mine, if it can be pried down up it isn't bolted down.
Re: Meditation idea 01/10/2003 02:01 PM CST
>>During the 5 seconds you would have a penalty to defense against it, but after the 5 seconds you'd have a boost to defense and offense against just this critter. Should last about 15 minutes or until you get stunned for a fairly long amount of time. That's not the best description, but I suck at designing things <g>

I'll put it on my list for when we get a chance to look at Meditations, but I can't predict right now whether or not it's likely to get written.

Painbringer Skiori
__
Not liking an answer you're given doesn't mean one wasn't given.

__
Re: Meditation idea 01/10/2003 04:42 PM CST
Maybe the penalty for this meditation could be you have a decrease in effectiveness against other critters? That would more then offset the boost we'd get to the specific critter we fight.
Re: Meditation idea 01/11/2003 10:12 AM CST
I would like to see somthing to set us all apart from one another. there is very little chance that you would see 2 moonies at circle 60 with the same exact spells and abilities with there cults and all. Because they have a huge choice.

The way things are now you know exactly what a 60th barbarian can do and what you can expect. I dont like that.

Maybe we can get a big choice going with meditations/roars/berserks. Dances are obvious.

Just a thought

Kerrakus
Re: Meditation idea 01/12/2003 03:47 AM CST
>>The way things are now you know exactly what a 60th barbarian can do and what you can expect. I dont like that.

Well, between dances and berserks, there is a bit of a difference right now. There will probably be more of one once we get more powerful berserks and yet more of a difference once/if meditations start getting implemented. ::shrugs::

However, I don't want to be forced to choose between two or more abilities at any given circle.

-Steinn, wants all he can get <g>
Re: Meditation idea 01/12/2003 06:39 AM CST

"Well, between dances and berserks, there is a bit of a difference right now."

Um no there's not. Every barb has the same. There is no difference.

"However, I don't want to be forced to choose between two or more abilities at any given circle."

forced to choose? now that's funny. You just might be the first and only Barbarian I know that does not want a choice of skills to choose from.

Perhaps me not make myself clear. At say 30th circle instead of just getting wolverine and be done with it. Perhaps there could be a list of maybe 3 meditations and 3 berserks and 2 roars in which a Barbarian can choose 1 of each of those as well. Then at 40th you would get panther and the same list you didn't pick last time + a new one for each catagory.

It certainly would help us all get outta the "cookie cutter barbarain mold"

But hey what do I know, If they wanna give it to us all which it doubtful ill take it.

Choice is a part of what makes DR fun.

Kerrakus
Re: Meditation idea 01/13/2003 02:39 AM CST
>>Um no there's not. Every barb has the same. There is no difference.

Every barb has the same, but depending on how one trains, they will be better or worse at one or the other. So you really don't know exactly what all 60th barbs are capable of.

>>Perhaps me not make myself clear. At say 30th circle instead of just getting wolverine and be done with it. Perhaps there could be a list of maybe 3 meditations and 3 berserks and 2 roars in which a Barbarian can choose 1 of each of those as well. Then at 40th you would get panther and the same list you didn't pick last time + a new one for each catagory.

I would have no problem with that. I read your previous post as trying to revive the old paths idea in which you could either berserk, or dance, not both.

>>But hey what do I know, If they wanna give it to us all which it doubtful ill take it.

I could also go for that. <g>

-Steinn-
Re: Meditation idea 01/13/2003 01:02 PM CST
You misunderstood the old paths idea. Both sides could do both, just if they were a berserker they'd have weaker dances and stronger berserks then the disciplined fighters and vice versa. All barbs are pretty much the same with dance time and berserk time. We all have the exact same abilities. We need the ability to choose what we get. I would drop flounder so fast and get something that doesn't make me look like an idiot when I use it. :)

Pendus
Re: Meditation idea 01/14/2003 12:54 PM CST
>>I would drop flounder so fast and get something that doesn't make me look like an idiot when I use it. :)

But you are so good at that Pendus. ::poke::

Seriously though, it would be nice to be able to choose, may we can get this idea back in the works. Wish the path idea never would have got snuffed out.

* Pendus was just struck down!

Well I better go get you out of that tree.

Brabs

If you can't tell it pick on Pendus day. Catch you later bro.

What's mine is mine, what's yours is mine, what's not bolted down is mine, if it can be pried down up it isn't bolted down.
Re: Meditation idea 01/14/2003 12:58 PM CST
That's what I got for testing my limits. Oh well I know that I can't do that many cats yet.
Re: Meditation idea 01/15/2003 02:46 AM CST
>>Both sides could do both, just if they were a berserker they'd have weaker dances and stronger berserks then the disciplined fighters and vice versa.

Maybe, but there was talk that if your stats or whatever were far enough to one side of the spectru,, you wouldn't be able to use the abilities on the other side at all, or they would be so weak it wouldn't be worth doing.

-Steinn-
Re: Meditation idea 01/15/2003 07:26 AM CST
I, for one, would rather have the best of both worlds, and not have to choose a path like a mage does. I enjoy being able to dance and then berserk or roar as the occasion calls.

Maulem~providing choices does not mean branching off sects within the Guild. You have a choice. Use X ability, or don't.
Re: Meditation idea 01/15/2003 08:19 AM CST
>I, for one, would rather have the best of both worlds, and not have to choose a path like a mage does. I enjoy being able to dance and then berserk or roar as the occasion calls.

Once we are able to berserk out of a dance, I will too.

Until then, I'm stocking up on IF for that life-saving berserk. Riss is a hard place.

~Kodiac
Re: Meditation idea 01/15/2003 08:27 AM CST
Br'er Bear-

I think you misunderstand my meaning. What I meant by my statements was this: Don't limit the rest of us because some want a "path." I would much rather have the best of two possibilities than be "forced" to choose only one.

Maulem~
Re: Meditation idea 01/15/2003 08:31 AM CST
<< I think you misunderstand my meaning. What I meant by my statements was this: Don't limit the rest of us because some want a "path." I would much rather have the best of two possibilities than be "forced" to choose only one.--Maulem~>>

My understanding of paths was this....

Berserker path - you get the super duper berserks perks, and so-so dance perks

Dance path - you get the super duper dancing perks, and so-so berserk perks

Don't choose a path and you get both options, just not in super duper mode

Personally I think I am in the same boat as most other solo barbarian hunters, we don't dance in case we get stunned.

Starkad
Re: Meditation idea 01/15/2003 09:16 AM CST
>Personally I think I am in the same boat as most other solo barbarian hunters, we don't dance in case we get stunned.

I think this is mostly a result of hunting in areas where we are very likely to get killed by a stun.

When I was milking the last circle in Langenfirth, I danced all the time. The odds of a fendryad getting a stun on me were small, and I was very likely to survive the stun due to my defenses vs. their offense.

Now that I'm wading in pig-poo on Riss, I don't have that advantage. Here, I'm rocking and rolling at my full defensive setup, and still getting nailed. I'm sure if I get stunned here, I won't get a chance to recover, and so I hold off the dance and berserk instead.

Then I cry for my mommy, and run to the empaths. :-\

~Kodiac

PS Need more empaths on Riss, by the way. :-)
Re: Meditation idea 01/15/2003 09:42 AM CST
Bear what are you huntin out there?

You in the Caracal tree or on the pecc Island?

I'll see you in a few days too, i'm on my way home!

Genneron
Re: Meditation idea 01/15/2003 11:48 AM CST
>Then I cry for my mommy, and run to the empaths. :-\

~Kodiac

Hmm...even more material for Volume 11...

Maulem~;-)
Re: Meditation idea 01/15/2003 12:19 PM CST
Genneron,

I'm out on the island. Relatively scarce at the moment due to many otherworldly concerns, but I should be back with a vengeance in a week or two.

Nice island. Wish we had an empath in the shelter though. I hate leaving my blood in the water when I run to the cypress.

~Kodiac
Re: Meditation idea 01/15/2003 12:36 PM CST
>>Nice island. Wish we had an empath in the shelter though. I hate leaving my blood in the water when I run to the cypress.

Actually one does hang out there time to time. Just not as much as in the cypress. Well see you around Mriss.

Brabs

What's mine is mine, what's yours is mine, what's not bolted down is mine, if it can be pried up it isn't bolted down.
Re: Meditation idea 01/15/2003 01:24 PM CST
I've seen Gwen in there, but usually when I see an empath, he's a little out of his mind...

So I run off to the cypress.

~Kodiac
Re: Meditation idea 01/15/2003 01:50 PM CST
Some great folks out there though, best thing to do is post on the M'riss and Mer'kresh boards just to say hello if you haven't already. I became a citizen there because the people are really cool and helpful.

Genneron
Re: Meditation idea 08/09/2003 02:18 PM CDT
>Kodiac's Post<

How bad do you want an Empath? Khalton is only 8th circle but can handle most anything that comes across. Just don't get diseased otherwise we'd have problems.

Khalton, Player of

"Unless a man feels he has a good enough memory, he should never venture to lie." -Michael Montaigne c.mid-1500's