Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 03/15/2016 08:28 PM CDT
Just wondering what the general consensus is out there concerning these two roars. Is one hands down better than the other, etc, or should I go ahead and take both?

Thanks in advance - Bugrit

>meditate flame
You begin to meditate upon the chakrel amulet, your inner fire swelling as you center your mind, body, and spirit.
Surrounding your reflection is a bright aura of beautiful flames extending a quarter of your height above you.

You recall that you have 17 training sessions remaining with the Guild.
You have received training in 0 abilities from the Path of the Horde.
You have received training in 1 abilities from the Path of the Flame.
You have received training in 0 abilities from the Path of the Predator.

You feel a jolt as your vision snaps shut.
Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 03/15/2016 11:15 PM CDT
I have tested both at mid-level PVP. It's hard to say what's mid-level but I have 600's in weapons + "magic" skills and 900s in masteries + expertise. Wail tends to not have as many counters as Strike (immobilize vs stun). There appears to be more anti-stuns in the game than anti-immobilized. Also, Wail is easier to get off effectively for some reason (probably because of the anti-stun spells). End game? I don't know.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 03/16/2016 12:46 AM CDT

Well that's handy info I guess, if not exactly pertinent to the question lol
Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 03/16/2016 09:26 AM CDT
Rage is more useful than Anger, endgame you will probably never use Anger in pvp. I did use it a bit in low level pvp situations.

Rage is a really great roar to use in hunting as well as it helps you kill faster and keep your IF moving.

I use Rage to train with all my barbarians. Currently I have anger as well but that is simply to open up the tree.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 03/16/2016 06:00 PM CDT
>Rage is a really great roar to use in hunting as well as it helps you kill faster and keep your IF moving.

I don't have Rage so this is a serious question

I see in descriptions of abilities the terms "debuff" and "penalize". Are they synonymous or does debuff remove any "bonuses" only and "penalize" lower the stat/skill whether buffed or not?

Examples:
Everild's Rage - Debuffs enemy defense.
Death's Shriek - Penalizes shield skill and possibly drops to knees.

Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 03/16/2016 06:11 PM CDT
Debuff generally means to penalize and the two are pretty much synonymous within DR. Not as a hard definition since debuff literally means to remove a buff, but colloquially as in the opposite of a buff. In DR jargon, dispel would mean to remove a buff. If unsure of an actual effect from a game description, the wiki is pretty explicit about these things in the effects line of spells and abilities. Those two are listed as -Evasion skill and -Shield Usage skill respectively, for example.
Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 04/15/2016 02:37 PM CDT
>>I see in descriptions of abilities the terms "debuff" and "penalize". Are they synonymous or does debuff remove any "bonuses" only and "penalize" lower the stat/skill whether buffed or not?

Rage is a penalty to evasion skill.

Shriek is a penalty to shield skill.

Anger is a balance reducer which penalizes all defenses and offenses of the enemy, and stacks with Rage and Shriek.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 04/15/2016 04:32 PM CDT

I feel these don't last particularly long - I know that's a function of the svs failure, but I think this is one reason pulsing debils like dema, or cyclic debils like dalu or hyh or EE feel so much more potent.

Maybe if the effect in pve was longer id find a more significant impact with them. As is, I roar rage quietly to hit all engaged, then whirl, and treat this as a way to train debil (which is easy) and get a few tics of le/lb/offhand in. Hardly a tool I consider clutch for barbing it up.
Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 04/17/2016 02:33 PM CDT
Regarding the lengths... everything is controlled by a Core utility. Even at max duration I'm not sure they are really lasting long enough to be effective in PvP. In PvE enemies die in 3-7 hits anyways, so you feel the difference a bit better.

Cyclics have long been a problem compared to every other spell and ability out there. We really need better rules - but writing those rules will upset a significant portion of the player base any way you cut it.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 04/17/2016 02:39 PM CDT

> In PvE enemies die in 3-7 hits anyways, so you feel the difference a bit better.

But there's no point in offensive debuffs in PvE if one of the critters will be dead in 3-7 swings anyway, and the other three will shake the debuff in about that time as well. Unless the intent is that we ROAR ANGER every ~45s (I don't think that's the intent).

>Cyclics have long been a problem compared to every other spell and ability out there. We really need better rules - but writing those rules will upset a significant portion of the player base any way you cut it.

I think the issue is that cyclic debils 'do their thing' ALL the time, to EVERY critter engaged. Non-cyclic debils don't, and offensive debuffs are effectively useless as a result.
Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 04/17/2016 07:09 PM CDT
<<Unless the intent is that we ROAR ANGER every ~45s (I don't think that's the intent).

This is about how often I cast Mind Shout or Demriss' Resolve, so it's not out of the ballpark in terms of how often an AoE debilitation should be getting used normally.
Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 04/17/2016 07:22 PM CDT
>This is about how often I cast Mind Shout or Demriss' Resolve, so it's not out of the ballpark in terms of how often an AoE debilitation should be getting used normally.

But you aren't relying on voice pool. There is no way to keep this up for more than 4-5 times in a row at the high end. The cost to voice compared to mana is non-existent. We have one berserk (which uses IF very fast) that increased our voice recovery. How often do you run out of mana or the ability to use your debil? Our voice pool is static, you have the ability to get into more mana with skill and with objects and with harness.

If you come to the barbarians folders be ready to discuss barbarian issues on our terms with your eyes wide open and with all the facts on your side, positive or negative.

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 04/17/2016 07:29 PM CDT
<<If you come to the barbarians folders be ready to discuss barbarian issues on our terms with your eyes wide open and with all the facts on your side, positive or negative.

Dude, you are so obnoxious sometimes. I was simply commenting on how often an AoE debilitation gets cast in another system.
Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 04/17/2016 07:42 PM CDT
Well my intent is not to be obnoxious. My intent is to make sure that the discussion is on a level that compares reality to reality. If you are offended, I'm sorry. I've known your characters a long time and always respected them. However, when comments don't add to the reality of the situation being discussed what do you expect? Would you put up with that in the cleric folder? Really?

I'm being a bit aggressive/obtuse here because I'm seeing the fate of our guild at a precipice. Higher level/Older barbs are not happy with how things are going and if we don't focus on the reality, in a positive way, then we can kiss the guild goodbye. No one will ever play a barbarian again except as a novelty.

Please, understand, I appreciate your posting here and hope you continue, but please make an effort to understand our situation and provide all the information in context to our guild abilities otherwise it's just noise.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 04/17/2016 07:49 PM CDT
I have no idea what you think I was saying other than what I said which is 45 seconds between AoE debilitation spells is a good ballpark intention because magic users can do it.
Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 04/17/2016 07:57 PM CDT
Okay - I'll submit. I'm sorry. I really wasn't attacking you even though looking back at my posts it definitely could come across that way.

So, to bring this back on topic and to address your post more in line with being positive.

>so it's not out of the ballpark in terms of how often an AoE debilitation should be getting used normally.

Yes it is out of the ballpark in terms of being a barbarian because our AOE debilitation can only be effectively "cast" 3-5 times max in a row with no rest to our voice.

I understand we are Magic tertiary. However, barbarians are by definition not Magic Users, even less so than Thieves and Traders. I believe we deserve special dispensation to our Supernatural Abilities that go around Magic 3.0(+) rules because we are not and never will be Magic users.

Is there an easy answer to this from a code perspective. Of course not. But philosophically we deserve the ability to debilitate critters and players as often as MU guilds because we are "intimidating" again by definition.

Again, please accept my apologies for being a bit to aggressive in my posts.

Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 04/17/2016 07:58 PM CDT
Keywords you are missing. Intention and should.
Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 04/17/2016 08:01 PM CDT
Here's an additional hint: You seem to think that I'm arguing against something for some reason, presumably because I'm a magic user. I'm not.
Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 04/17/2016 08:05 PM CDT
I apologized and I mean it.

Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 04/18/2016 06:57 AM CDT

>This is about how often I cast Mind Shout or Demriss' Resolve, so it's not out of the ballpark in terms of how often an AoE debilitation should be getting used normally.

Wow, curious. I guess I don't use DMRS or DEMA all that often because I'm not over hunting on the Bard right now (and DALU trains Debil quite well and quite fast).
Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 04/18/2016 06:59 AM CDT

>I'm being a bit aggressive/obtuse here because I'm seeing the fate of our guild at a precipice. Higher level/Older barbs are not happy with how things are going and if we don't focus on the reality, in a positive way, then we can kiss the guild goodbye. No one will ever play a barbarian again except as a novelty.

Also, dude, I really appreciate the document you've put together, and I think you're encouraging good discussion, but I think you're over reacting a bit. These discussions have been going on for years. The guild isn't DEAD or BROKEN, it's just not in the strong place we'd like to see it.
Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 04/18/2016 01:29 PM CDT
<<Wow, curious. I guess I don't use DMRS or DEMA all that often because I'm not over hunting on the Bard right now (and DALU trains Debil quite well and quite fast).

I don't have DALU currently, and am generally using Pyre or BOTF as mana demands. I just cast it with min +1 mana. My script prioritizes buffs, then TM to 5/34, then debil to 5/34, then TM to lock, then devil to lock. At that point, if everything is up and locked then it defaults to debil cast. All with a min mana threshold of 40% or it doesn't cast. I.e. if I'm not casting another spell and have at least 40% attunement then I'm casting DMRS.
Re: Everild's Rage vs. Anger the Earth 04/18/2016 03:43 PM CDT
>but I think you're over reacting a bit

Duly noted and I don't disagree with you. My writing style sometimes comes across more "strong" than I mean it to and sometimes I am just over reacting. I'll work on it but can't promise this old dog will learn new tricks.

Thanks to everyone for their input.