Eagle vs. Dragon 10/29/2009 08:23 AM CDT
If your not worried about defenses, which is better for using a ranged weapon?

I assume Eagle but wasn't sure if the ranged bonus + agility bonus would at all out weight the range bonus of eagle...

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Eagle vs. Dragon 10/29/2009 09:22 AM CDT
I find Dragon to be much more effective.

Navak will disagree.
Re: Eagle vs. Dragon 10/29/2009 11:12 AM CDT
I use eagle for duel load. Since I double the hits I get more exp faster.

Player of Drevid

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: Eagle vs. Dragon 10/29/2009 12:08 PM CDT
They're close but I'd have to give it to Dragon when using LT. Eagle is still a great choice in certain circumstances since it doesn't cost nor drain as much inner fire. And the weak perception boost can be a little helpful.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: Eagle vs. Dragon 10/29/2009 12:23 PM CDT
Hmm..... Is it possible that when you get Dragon at 60th, that Eagle is better than dragon and later on down the road when you start getting closer to capping Dragon, dragon pulls ahead?

Some one straighten me out on this...

Do dances grow with your characters stats? (Meaning the rank boost not just duration)?
(I assumed this, specially because I know of those tests done with Bear dance in the forge where the strength boost got larger as the character grew)...I want to make sure I have the correct information though.

How do you max your rank/stat boost for dances.....is it strictly concentration?

thanks.

Re: Eagle vs. Dragon 10/29/2009 12:30 PM CDT
>>Do dances grow with your characters stats? (Meaning the rank boost not just duration)? (I assumed this, specially because I know of those tests done with Bear dance in the forge where the strength boost got larger as the character grew)...I want to make sure I have the correct information though.

Yep.

>>How do you max your rank/stat boost for dances.....is it strictly concentration?

Yep.

>>Hmm..... Is it possible that when you get Dragon at 60th, that Eagle is better than dragon and later on down the road when you start getting closer to capping Dragon, dragon pulls ahead?

I think it depends on what you define as 'better'. Sometimes the bigger overall ranged boost is not better for the situation at hand (IF cost of dragon + lack of a perception boost can be undesirable). They're really really close for me so it's kind of hard to tell... but in my experience Dragon had a tiny bit more oomph to it. I haven't done any real testing so I wouldn't know for sure.

As for Dragon pulling ahead, depends on where the cap is for both abilities. There's a lot of hype about Dragon on the high end (super duper high end since I haven't seen it yet), yet I remember Jhime telling me that he hated Eagle even more at that level.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: Eagle vs. Dragon 10/29/2009 12:42 PM CDT
Thanks Vinjince.

Re: Eagle vs. Dragon 10/29/2009 12:48 PM CDT
I found eagle to be much better than dragon when using stick bows. I don't train thrown weapons or crossbows (yet) so I'm not sure about those. Also, the dual load gives much better exp than single load.

When I switch to eagle I work nothing but stick bows and stealths. No dancing, defenses, brawling, or any other skills. As soon as the stick bows lock, I stop dancing eagle and switch to either dragon or badger, depending.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: Eagle vs. Dragon 10/29/2009 01:10 PM CDT
>>I found eagle to be much better than dragon when using stick bows. I don't train thrown weapons or crossbows (yet) so I'm not sure about those. Also, the dual load gives much better exp than single load.

>>When I switch to eagle I work nothing but stick bows and stealths. No dancing, defenses, brawling, or any other skills. As soon as the stick bows lock, I stop dancing eagle and switch to either dragon or badger, depending.

All this
Re: Eagle vs. Dragon 10/29/2009 01:14 PM CDT
Defining better as more damage?

In terms of thrown training, I would definitely go with dragon. Not just because of the ranged and agility, but because of the stamina boost in terms of long term thrown training.

For bows, crossbows and slings, it's a toss up. You'll get a bit more ranged boost potential from eagle dance from when I tested it years ago, but dragon is still up there for the ranged boost plus allowing strength and agility boost with more discipline as far as more damage is concerned.

I'm pretty much dancing dragon so I don't need to stop dancing and transition to dancing eagle/wolverine/cobra when I'm training every weapon. For most Barbarians with less concentration and discipline, I can see them dancing eagle since it's typically useful for long term training with most ranged weapons.

- Simon
Re: Eagle vs. Dragon 10/29/2009 02:34 PM CDT
>>Defining better as more damage?<<

Yes... sort of. Since the current exp model equates damage with exp gain which results in a shorter time to achieve mind lock or other optimum learning state then... yes.

Dragon has many advantages over Eagle. Eagle really only does one thing, but it does it very well, and that is provide a boost to ranged learning. Some would say it also provides a perception boost, but meh.. it's underwhelming IMO, but the ability to dual load while dancing eagle, resulting in more damage/higher exp gain... THAT is what makes Eagle better than Dragon, for a very narrow and specific purpose.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

Solomon
Re: Eagle vs. Dragon 10/30/2009 09:22 AM CDT
Thanks for bringing up dual load.......I completely forgot about it and now am using that.

It's so nice....I am consistently getting hits like this:

< Driving in like the irresistable force of a cyclone, you fire a basilisk head arrow at a red bear orc bandit. A red bear orc bandit fails to dodge, taking the full blow. The arrow lands an apocalyptic strike (So that's what it felt like when Grazhir shattered!) that creates a new, head size hole for the left eye socket.

The basilisk head arrow lodges itself savagely into the orc bandit!
[You're solidly balanced]
< Driving in like an unbeatable force, you fire a basilisk head arrow at a red bear orc bandit. A red bear orc bandit attempts to dodge, pivoting toward safety but still partially within harm's reach. The arrow lands a massive strike that imbeds the basilisk head arrow the entire length of the bandit's left arm (Messy!).
That would have stuck if there was anything left to stick to!
The basilisk head arrow falls to the ground!
The orc bandit looks down with a faintly surprised expression before collapsing upon the ground.
[You're solidly balanced]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

Then I switch back to crossbows and I get less damage, one shot, over twice the load RT......ugh?

Re: Eagle vs. Dragon 10/30/2009 07:45 PM CDT
I used to go with only eagle for my HT, but, now with some stamina changes (i guess, i never used to lose stamina) dragon is the perfect fit, if it was just a bit cheaper..
Re: Eagle vs. Dragon 11/18/2009 09:33 PM CST
According to GM post, all dances cap at the same rate, i.e. as soon as you cap one, you've capped 'em all.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Post:Why_Dragon_is_King_-_8/15/2008_-_20:15:38

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Eagle vs. Dragon 11/18/2009 10:15 PM CST
Except I'm not sure what that means, really. When do you cap Swan? When do you cap ANY dance? At 129th circle have I capped Swan and therefore capped Dragon too? I'm not so sure. I can dance some dances back-to-back, but not all of them, and certainly not Dragon, but have I capped it for the stat boost/buff purposes? I don't know the answer to that.

Solomon
Re: Eagle vs. Dragon 11/19/2009 11:35 AM CST
I think Ssra was referring to capping them for stats/buff purposes. Not for being able to dance something back to back, since that has more to do with inner fire recovery - either passively via time or actively via killing in a weapon that will teach you.

- Simon