BMR 04/20/2016 11:31 PM CDT

Curious question ,Since BMR as a passive boost is gone.Why do the hiders from the recent quest take extra charges for a barb to use?.If we have no buffs up over anything what is the premise behind this since we have ranks in the magic pool of exp now?
Re: BMR 04/20/2016 11:38 PM CDT
If they in fact do, it's probably due to a lack of arcana ranks. What's the messaging when you use it?

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: BMR 04/20/2016 11:47 PM CDT

[Script]>turn bead
You adjust your worry beads and a soft shimmer begins to cover you, but it falters a bit. You get the feeling that even though it worked, the beads used up an extra charge to get past your barbarian might.
Re: BMR 04/20/2016 11:53 PM CDT
Huh, neat.

Definitely a legacy thing, I expect. I wonder if the items could be updated to remove that.

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: BMR 04/21/2016 07:12 AM CDT
>>I wonder if the items could be updated to remove that.

+1. I mean, not the end of the world or anything, but I gave an item hider to my barb and hadn't realized I'd have to use double the charges.
Re: BMR 04/21/2016 08:34 AM CDT
This is a really great point, can someone remove that please!

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: BMR 04/21/2016 09:59 AM CDT
>This is a really great point, can someone remove that please!

...or just give us back BMR!

(It's a joke. Stay with me folks!)

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: BMR 04/21/2016 10:04 AM CDT

> ...or just give us back BMR!

> (It's a joke. Stay with me folks!)

I think BMR would kind of work as an aegis under the new magic system. Small passive all the time. Invoke it, or whatever barbarians do, to create a large barrier on demand with a decent CD.
Re: BMR 04/21/2016 11:27 AM CDT
>>I think BMR would kind of work as an aegis under the new magic system. Small passive all the time. Invoke it, or whatever barbarians do, to create a large barrier on demand with a decent CD.

It would be cool if Barbarians could unlock aspects of the BMR aegis as they gained skill in expertise. So a newbie Barbarian has a static barrier they can't do much with, but older Barbarians could empower it for X amount of time, turn it off completely if the need arises, push it outward to try and influence/hinder any magic by cast by/at mobs at the melee/pole range (like WORM but not Necro-y), etc.

Maybe extensive use of "active" BMR abilities could work like the Sorcerous corruption for magic primes, so opting into it has some bite to it. Sorta like how Moon Mages could use Teleological Sorcery or tap into the Plane of Probability, Barbarians can tap into the "traditional" Barbarian powers or embrace magic.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: BMR 04/21/2016 11:56 AM CDT

> So a newbie Barbarian has a static barrier they can't do much with, but older Barbarians could empower it for X amount of time, turn it off completely if the need arises, push it outward to try and influence/hinder any magic by cast by/at mobs at the melee/pole range (like WORM but not Necro-y), etc.

That would be really cool. Some ideas for feats, based on an "aura" type explanation.

25 ranks - BMR starts, very weak, static resistance, passive. Ablative, but "regrows" as you gain inner fire.

75 ranks - BMR now a moderate resistance to damage.

150 ranks - Invoke* your BMR for a very short duration (1 minute). Very strong resistance. CD is 40 minutes.

200 ranks - BMR weak, static resistance no longer ablative.

250 ranks - Invoke your BMR invoke now lasts for 2 minutes. CD is 30 minutes.

300 ranks - Invoke your BMR now lasts 3 minutes. CD is now 25 minutes

400 ranks - Invoked BMR now gives you "undead" style immunity, min cast spells will fail.

450 ranks - Invoke now lasts 4 minutes. CD is now 20 minutes

500 ranks - Invoke now sends out a shockwave at melee, interrupting spell casting.

550 ranks - Invoke now lasts 5 minutes. CD is now 15 minutes.

600 ranks - Invoke now attempts to dispel the casters grappled with you.

700 ranks - Invoke now lasts 6 minutes. Capped. CD reduced to 10 minutes.

750 ranks - Invoke interrupt now works at range.

800 ranks - Invoke dispel now works at melee.

1000 ranks - Your BMR invoke now restores a portion of your inner fire rather than draining it.

1200 ranks - Spell casting at melee is prevented.

1350 ranks - Spell casting at pole is prevented.

1500 ranks - Spell casting at range is prevented.

1700 ranks - You cause spell casters to lose harnessed mana and take nerve damage if they had a spell prepped or mana harnessed. Damage scales with loss.

> Maybe extensive use of "active" BMR abilities could work like the Sorcerous corruption for magic primes, so opting into it has some bite to it.

That would balance out the uberness of the abilities. Maybe it damages your inner fire as you've now made it "outer fire" temporarily reducing your max or regen or something.

* Turns off weak, static resistance until the invoke CD is back up.
Re: BMR 04/21/2016 12:02 PM CDT
The current dynamic across guilds is that the barriers that are potent enough to shut off magic also significantly impair the user's supernatural abilities too. This actually means Barbarians theoretically come out ahead (if everybody's powers are nullified, winner is whoever smashes the other's face in conventionally).

That may change at some point, but bear in mind that's where we are at the moment.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: BMR 04/21/2016 12:38 PM CDT
>>The current dynamic across guilds is that the barriers that are potent enough to shut off magic also significantly impair the user's supernatural abilities too. This actually means Barbarians theoretically come out ahead (if everybody's powers are nullified, winner is whoever smashes the other's face in conventionally).

What if the "proactive" aegis-style barriers required a level of focus that prevented the activation of roars or other one-shot Inner Fire things?

>>Invoked BMR now gives you "undead" style immunity, min cast spells will fail.

Honestly the +1 mana thing is so silly I wish they would either remove it completely or rework how it functions. Not against Barbarians getting a thing like it, but the current incarnation comes off as so bland to me. It's so inconsequential it's more a challenge against a player knowing a spell's min prep and entering one number higher than anything skill-based.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: BMR 04/21/2016 12:45 PM CDT

> Honestly the +1 mana thing is so silly I wish they would either remove it completely or rework how it functions. Not against Barbarians getting a thing like it, but the current incarnation comes off as so bland to me. It's so inconsequential it's more a challenge against a player knowing a spell's min prep and entering one number higher than anything skill-based.

I agree that it's mostly inconsequential, except for the rare cases that you're both at the edge of your skill and in a poor mana room/using a fancy new spell that you can't plug more mana into yet. Still though, it's flavor. I'm fully supportive of flavor, especially if it changes your gameplay (ever so slightly).
Re: BMR 04/21/2016 12:55 PM CDT
>>Still though, it's flavor. I'm fully supportive of flavor, especially if it changes your gameplay (ever so slightly).

Oh, definitely. I just wish it did more to enhance it beyond just being a speedbump, like growing with the difficulty of the critter, or being something someone really experienced could overcome, etc.

Like a circle 1 barb with X up shouldn't have a circle 1 war mage need to cast at +1 as well as a circle 200 war mage, nor should a circle 200 barb with X up expect the same from those two mages.

Re: BMR 04/21/2016 04:13 PM CDT
I should just post silly jokes more often. Great ideas!

>The current dynamic across guilds is that the barriers that are potent enough to shut off magic also significantly impair the user's supernatural abilities too. This actually means Barbarians theoretically come out ahead (if everybody's powers are nullified, winner is whoever smashes the other's face in conventionally).

Armifer...I'm all for it!

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: BMR 04/24/2016 11:44 AM CDT
>>What if the "proactive" aegis-style barriers required a level of focus that prevented the activation of roars or other one-shot Inner Fire things?

This is how Serenity worked (prevented roaring). Barbarians greatly disliked it because it never works out IRL. The MU either hides until your IF has run out or it has expired because you have no way to CC them. Or they start a cyclic which overwhelms it and then explodes your abdomen.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: BMR 04/24/2016 12:10 PM CDT

I think somethibg should be done generally speaking to fix the pvp paradigm of running around like a maniac and then spam casting some kind of stun/immob.

Maybe prevent people from any kind of offensive action if they moved in the last 20s?
Re: BMR 04/24/2016 02:30 PM CDT
This isn't an easy problem to solve from a code or other standpoint. We already prevent moving for a time after using an offensive action. DR really needs separate rules for PvP vs PvE, but because the two systems are one and the same, identifying one versus the other becomes difficult. It is also incredibly unfair to say that anyone caught in PvP is guaranteed to die if they don't kill their opponent.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: BMR 05/04/2016 05:49 PM CDT
>>1000 ranks - Your BMR invoke now restores a portion of your inner fire rather than draining it.
>>1700 ranks - You cause spell casters to lose harnessed mana and take nerve damage if they had a spell prepped or mana harnessed. Damage scales with loss.

lol? This is a serious proposal?

>>This actually means Barbarians theoretically come out ahead (if everybody's powers are nullified, winner is whoever smashes the other's face in conventionally).

The problem is that barbarians expect to be immune and yet not lose any of their own effectiveness. If it were the other way around it would sound asinine to barbarians. This is why it most likely does sound asinine to every non barbarian who reads this forum and has to conform to the ridiculousness that is BMR.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: BMR 05/04/2016 06:34 PM CDT
>> The problem is that barbarians expect to be immune and yet not lose any of their own effectiveness. If it were the other way around it would sound asinine to barbarians. This is why it most likely does sound asinine to every non barbarian who reads this forum and has to conform to the ridiculousness that is BMR.

While I'm advocating for the BMR of old, "the other way around" is pretty how much it is for Barbarians currently, being that they have no access to TM or any other sort of secondary damage stream.
Re: BMR 05/04/2016 06:37 PM CDT
Err, that should say "While I'm not advocating for the BMR of old"
Re: BMR 05/04/2016 10:22 PM CDT
It would be kind of cool if Barbarians had some kind of IF-based counterspell like that. It's a neat idea. It could be some very brief-lived Shear-like effect, where a caster attempting to use magic on the Barbarian while the ward was up would both cause the spell to fizzle and cause some degree of (stackable) nerve damage and/or concentration loss.

Thayet

Re: BMR 05/05/2016 08:57 PM CDT
<While I'm advocating for the BMR of old, "the other way around" is pretty how much it is for Barbarians currently, being that they have no access to TM or any other sort of secondary damage stream

Do you even know how good barbarians magic warding is when used at max effect? Its pretty great.
Re: BMR 05/06/2016 02:51 PM CDT
Put up serenity, (toad/badger/or swan) and turtle and get back to me.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: BMR 05/06/2016 03:38 PM CDT
> Do you even know how good barbarians magic warding is when used at max effect? Its pretty great.

Yes? I'm not criticizing the current Barbarian warding options, which I agree are quite good.
Re: BMR 05/10/2016 12:40 AM CDT
As a magic primary guild player and avid PvP'er, I'd say that quite good is heck of an understatement...

If Barbs are seriously asking for any kind of change to your current anti-magic setup, you're crazy.

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: BMR 05/10/2016 02:26 PM CDT
>Put up serenity, (toad/badger/or swan) and turtle and get back to me.

This.

BMR is not dead. The main issue I've observed with barbs is they're very defense-oriented (meaning higher defense relative to other guilds, but weak offense). That's counterintuitive, no? I feel like barbs should be able to specialize in pure offense at the sacrifice of some of that defense or have some middle option in the form of more combat utility. Note: I'm including MR in with general defense.

Being tough to kill, but with less firepower options than everyone else, can be a less fun experience than the alternative.
Re: BMR 05/11/2016 08:21 AM CDT

>(meaning higher defense relative to other guilds, but weak offense

I think this is true both in terms of the way my skill training worked out, and the abilities available to Barbs. While yes, Barbarians can buff all offensive variables (Str/Agl/Weapon Skill/Weapon Stats), there's simply too much overlap with other guilds being able to do basically the same thing, and Barbarians also lack any other offensive options (Simultaneous TM or cyclic damage outputs, lackluster (albeit cool) AoE in the form of Whirlwind).

As such, from training wide(ish) my Barbs main weapons trail his defenses due to backtraining, and even using Bear, Dragon, Wildfire, and Tsunami, my Barbs total damage output feels lackluster compared to my other characters. I think this is principally a function of not having more solid AoE options, and/or not having an additional dps stream in the form of cyclics/tm.

Yupyup though, all been said over and over and over.

>BMR is not dead.

But, yeah, it's not, it's just a choice now instead of innate.
Re: BMR 06/30/2016 10:53 AM CDT

Oh, I suppose absolutely nothing is stopping a Ranger from picking up Vigor, which answers that issue.