Prev_page Previous 1 3
Passive MR Going Away 01/16/2010 11:10 AM CST
>- Magic Resistance: Passive Magic Resistance is going to go away for PCs and most types of NPCs. (Undead MR is TBD, for example)

>Resisting Magic will require active abilities, and magic resistance on an AoE spell will impact the spell's potency only for each individual resister. So, if you are a bard casting an enchante, a sudden group of people with barriers can never make your spell collapse, and resisting people do not decrement the spell power for each subsequent target. This also means obviously that MR does not get contested on people spells don't affect. All guilds can have these active abilities, so for example it's planned Barbs will have the functionality by the time Magic 3.0 comes out.

OKay, the thing that sticks out to me about this is...

-A Barbarian's Passive Magic Resistance and Augmented Passive Magic Resistance Via Barbarian Abilities (Dances for instance) is one of the main things that lets Barbarian compete with Magic Users (Unless the Barbarian is really high. I know that's broken).

--Will Barbarian abilities be reworked/changed/looked at to make sure that everything is as balanced as possible for when Magic 3.0 goes live?

--Do the GMs think there is a need for such a 'review' at all?

-Re: Active Magic Resistance Ability: I'd like more specifics on this.

Such As:

--Will this be a duration effect or a one time use against the next spell cast on the Barbarian?

--Will there be some sort of a cool down? Will it use Inner Fire? Really just how is it supposed to work?

--Will Barbarians only have one active ability, or will there be a few different abilities for different scenarios (IE: Duration vs. Resistance Strength)?

--Will Barbarians have any help via messaging (like seeing targeting messages that I can't currently see due to lack of magic skill(I think) or similar messages) to determine the best time to use the active magic resistance abilities?

Trying to wrap my head about what the Passive MR change means for me and how I will best adapt.

Formerly Known As Nitish

>Alisyn edges away from you.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 04:27 AM CST
Passive BMR was a major gift to offset the lack of magic. What will we be getting new/special/wonderful to offset the loss of this? I understand that there will be other ways to enhance our Magic Resistance, but this is a major guild ability that is going away. We lost forging with no compensation, now we lose BMR?

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 07:00 AM CST
>Passive BMR was a major gift to offset the lack of magic. What will we be getting new/special/wonderful to offset the loss of this? I understand that there will be other ways to enhance our Magic Resistance, but this is a major guild ability that is going away. We lost forging with no compensation, now we lose BMR?

I think this type of comment is unlikely to get a positive response from GMs.

You look at a two-colored dartboard and see:
Copernicus has yet to throw.
There is currently no black player.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 08:04 AM CST
>>Passive BMR was a major gift to offset the lack of magic. What will we be getting new/special/wonderful to offset the loss of this?

You're going to get active BMR. I don't see what the problem is. For years you've had passive and all you have to do is keep your IF up, which isn't difficult since you have to be in combat a lot to circle. Magic Users on the other hand have duration based barrier spells that require mana to use. Do you see the inconsitancy? Add to that the fact that by 150th circle and dancing dragon it's pretty much a win button where a Moon Mage with 1600 PM can't even get a single cast off at you? BMR has needed to change for a long time.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 11:40 AM CST
>>Passive BMR was a major gift to offset the lack of magic. What will we be getting new/special/wonderful to offset the loss of this? I understand that there will be other ways to enhance our Magic Resistance, but this is a major guild ability that is going away. We lost forging with no compensation, now we lose BMR?

I am in agreement, at least in one respect. I am hoping that Barbarians will be able to gain magic ranks now with no mechanical penalty - even if they have to endure the scorn of their peers.

Barbarians learning magic should be like Empaths learning weapons - not learning them is a perfectly valid roleplay choice but it doesn't come with mechanical penalty.

"I hate you so much right now." -GM Armifer
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 12:07 PM CST
<< For years you've had passive and all you have to do is keep your IF up, which isn't difficult since you have to be in combat a lot to circle.>>

Passive MR isn't that great, and the IF pool is drained by all our buffs (often at an incredible rate). Killing a critter that teaches a weapon helps refill the IF pool by a tiny amount - an utterly useless bonus in PvP, where magic resistance actually matters.

<<Do you see the inconsitancy?>>

Actually, according to Armifer it's bad for Barbarian abilities to do things similar to magic abilities. No 'magic, but not' where it can be avoided.

<<Add to that the fact that by 150th circle and dancing dragon>>

Show of hands, how many Barbarians have reached this point?

<<BMR has needed to change for a long time.>>

I actually agree with this, but I was thinking more like a rescaling than tearing it out and replacing it with abilities. We'll see how things work out.

"That's how I knew who you were. You were always like "Blah blah blah I'm a Barbarian oh-my-god." -my gf
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 02:07 PM CST
>>Show of hands, how many Barbarians have reached this point?<<

You actually don't need to be 150th and have Dragon up to be immune to magics. BMR really starts ramping up to the invincible point above 100th circle, severely limiting who or what can affect you with magics.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 02:25 PM CST
I like being nearly immune to magic :( I am going to miss that.

Player of Drevid

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 02:46 PM CST
Not that complete immunity is a good thing, but why do people get so upset that TM is bad at killing Barbarians when Barbarians can't train TM at all? Access to TM doesn't mean you can't train a mundane weapon.

Purely out of curiosity.

"That's how I knew who you were. You were always like "Blah blah blah I'm a Barbarian oh-my-god." -my gf
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 02:54 PM CST
>why do people get so upset that TM is bad at killing Barbarians when Barbarians can't train TM at all?

That makes no sense. It's like asking why roars should be able to disable Bards because Bards can't learn roars. People likely get upset because BMR reduces TM skill beyond global caps should allow it to.

>Access to TM doesn't mean you can't train a mundane weapon.

Lack of access to TM doesn't mean you can't train mundane defenses.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 02:58 PM CST
TM goes through all the checks any other weapon attack goes through.

Adding a layer of passive resistance on top of what are already fair contests is excessive.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

The Public Stat Data Project
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkqoUyrmvlKNdGlpeHZacEdldi1Ob2h3M1I5TXpCZVE&hl=en

Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 03:38 PM CST
>>You're going to get active BMR. I don't see what the problem is

Isn't eveyone else getting this too? Make that MR, because BMR will be non-existent.

Just saying if that is the case we are losing that niche. So now we are locked out of magic skillset and don't have passive BMR either. Guess magic theory and how it works is going to have to be rewrote as well.

That being said there seems to be a pretty good team of GMs on board that are making things fairer across the board so I am not too worried about it being fair.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 03:40 PM CST
>>Isn't eveyone else getting this too? Make that MR, because BMR will be non-existent.

They never said BMR Is going away. It's just going to change to something you have to activate. It's not that difficult a concept and it makes a lot more sense in terms of game balance.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 03:52 PM CST
And what do we have to protect against the magics that can't be dodged, blocked, or parried.Everything we have that can cause you physical damage can be blocked,parried or evaded.Our magic resistance does not cuase you any harm at all. It only keeps us safe from being harmed. Are we supposed to be left wide open to that barrage of magic, because some mages that would rather sit around and script casting spells then hunt and train there non-magic combat abilities feel we are to strong. Does not make a whole lot of sense to me.

You magic users get new spells all the time, heck you even got a new guild. There are a ton of useful items generated into the game for magic users constantly. You have the abilitie to use magic to buff up any skill you choose. You can replace your spells if you so choose, or for a brief time use another guilds spell. We have one good dance, A handful of descent roars, and our resistance to magic. When was the last time any of you barbarians found anything useful fall from the sky, or get dropped by a critter. When was the last time anything new and exciting happened to our guild.

I have come to peace with the fact that the game itself is heading towards the way of the wizards. They get stronger while we get weaker. I justify spending my hard earned money and pressious time each night knowing I have my resistance to magic,dragon dance, and my claymore. Tell me what will I have after this. No more then a commoner it sounds to me.

If it's not to late I would like to ask for a late christmas gift, please let my Barbarian stay a Barbarian.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 03:54 PM CST
>And what do we have to protect against the magics that can't be dodged, blocked, or parried.

I assume Warding but we don't know yet.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 03:59 PM CST
I'd argue that when we're essentially locked out from learning magic at all. I'm not against losing the immunity at the top end though. That is needed. But I guess we need to see what the plan is before we can really even begin to guess at what they are planning.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 04:06 PM CST
>>But I guess we need to see what the plan is before we can really even begin to guess at what they are planning.<<

^This.

It's far too early to go into any form of panic mode or mass hysteria. Personally, I don't care that I'm locked out of learning the 5 skills that belong to the magic skillset. I can train 23 skills as a primary skillset if I wanted to.

While the resistance to magic is nice, I would argue it's not really fair either. We MAY get active MR that's more powerful than other guilds active MR... we may not. The bottom line is that we don't know, and too much speculation leads to panic and mass hysteria, with people misquoting and misremembering some post that some GM might have said something about maybe 3 months ago, and by golly, if we could just have easier to use and search forums, then I could come up with the exact quote, but I can't, so here is what I think was said, to the best of my recollection... ugh. Changes are coming. What they look like, or when they'll get here... we just don't know.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 04:13 PM CST
Your Solomon quote kinda fits too heh.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 04:20 PM CST
>>It's far too early to go into any form of panic mode or mass hysteria. Personally, I don't care that I'm locked out of learning the 5 skills that belong to the magic skillset. I can train 23 skills as a primary skillset if I wanted to. <<

My only issue with being completely locked out of it is the extra in combat learning. TM trains PM, Harness and TM. It can be noticeable if the mage is well trained.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 04:23 PM CST
>I'd argue that when we're essentially locked out from learning magic at all. I'm not against losing the immunity at the top end though. That is needed. But I guess we need to see what the plan is before we can really even begin to guess at what they are planning.

Right.

I wonder why stuff like this is announced without also announcing the detailed/complete plan to deal with the changes being announced.

If the answer is "Just work a skill that is tertiary for you. Never mind that it goes against some of your guild's lore and your RP choice," then I won't be very impressed. :(

Formerly Known As Nitish

>Alisyn edges away from you.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 05:12 PM CST
<<TM goes through all the checks any other weapon attack goes through.>>

not...death from above spells. and seems thats' the first type of spell any mage casts in a fight.

Give us weapon attacks that ignore shield and parry both. Lets see ranged... nope shields can block... melee not close. That leaves us with...?? I know lets get rid of DFA spells when passive MR goes away.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 05:24 PM CST
>I know lets get rid of DFA spells when passive MR goes away.

I don't really know why you haven't been reading the posts about new combat, but you probably should be.

Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 05:53 PM CST
>I don't really know why you haven't been reading the posts about new combat, but you probably should be.

Because I find trying to rummage through these message boards a mess and I don't spend much time on boards as a rule I'd rather play so I mostly stay with barbs folder and gm announcements sometimes necros.. Anyway could someone point me to these threads so I know what your talking about? If they are changing DFA spells I haven't even heard a rumor. Thanks :)
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 06:21 PM CST
>>Because I find trying to rummage through these message boards a mess and I don't spend much time on boards

I would rather have the boards updated to something more usable then our circa 1995 superedition forums, then to have our skills updated, to block something thats a potential. The only category i read is barbarians unless something is referenced elsewhere, then ill work my courage up to wade into what feels like thigh deep mire.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 06:25 PM CST
>Mazrian>TM goes through all the checks any other weapon attack goes through.

Not true.

There is also an ease of learning factor for TM that mundane weapons do not have. Depending on skill/guild you can machine gun TM spells.

I'm not going to go further into this for fear of falling into a guild vs guild cycle, but there must be some buffer to offset the TM ease of learning. That said, the buffer(s) should not be as powerful as BMR, AC, VOI, and Shear currently are.

>FBC>Magic Users on the other hand have duration based barrier spells that require mana to use

I'm fairly certain your mana attunement has fully recovered by the time whatever barrier spell you've cast/held mana for has worn off.

>FBC>Add to that the fact that by 150th circle and dancing dragon it's pretty much a win button where a Moon Mage with 1600 PM can't even get a single cast off at you

This is true. Everyone knows BMR needs to change, but there is a happy medium between non-existant and untouchable that I feel negates the need to completely eradicate passive MR for a guild that is, by design, anti-magic. If the design is changing, so does the result, obviously.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 06:26 PM CST
I don't think TM is as easy to train as you think it is these days...

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 06:27 PM CST
I do think it is as easy to train as I think it is these days.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 06:29 PM CST
Energy Bolt thpam ith unthathfactory.

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 06:33 PM CST
Use a real TM spell.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 06:36 PM CST
I find using TKS with my moonie that TM is pretty easy to learn.

Player of Drevid

Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 06:46 PM CST
<<That makes no sense. It's like asking why roars should be able to disable Bards because Bards can't learn roars. People likely get upset because BMR reduces TM skill beyond global caps should allow it to.>>

Ranged attacks (including TM) ignore my 500+ ranks of parry - where are your global caps there? Some TM even ignores shield (though with an penalty versus evasion IIRC), and as such is generally the first spell mages try in a fight.

TM also has plenty of other special effects - skin/nerve damage, secondary effects, multiple damage types, unusual damage types, multiple attacks - basically a whole ton of stuff mundane weapons either can't do, or can't do as well. On top of that you don't need any special ammo - your ammo (mana) regenerates naturally over time. Janitor-proof.

Some say it's unfair to make TM ranks meaningless and force people to train a mundane weapon instead to achieve similar results. I ask if you've ever heard of the stealth system, which forces people to train perception in addition to their defenses and offenses, JUST IN CASE they go up against a stealth-oriented character.

The truth is that if your character was well-trained and prepared, he'd have a crossbow or spear or sword with which to hit the fighter who is immune to targeted magic. If you neglect such skills, that's your own fault, as is the case with perception.

I don't really mind change, and it's far too early to know if this one's going to be good or bad, but when one of the most magic-focused guilds in the game has Shear you better expect the vehemently anti-magic guild to get something even better to make up for being locked out of systems the way we are.

Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 06:50 PM CST
<<I don't really mind change, and it's far too early to know if this one's going to be good or bad, but when one of the most magic-focused guilds in the game has Shear you better expect the vehemently anti-magic guild to get something even better to make up for being locked out of systems the way we are.

This

Player of Drevid

Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 08:17 PM CST
>>Not true.

It is, in fact, true.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

The Public Stat Data Project
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkqoUyrmvlKNdGlpeHZacEdldi1Ob2h3M1I5TXpCZVE&hl=en

Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/17/2010 08:27 PM CST
>>I don't really mind change, and it's far too early to know if this one's going to be good or bad, but when one of the most magic-focused guilds in the game has Shear you better expect the vehemently anti-magic guild to get something even better to make up for being locked out of systems the way we are.

That's probably the only concern I have, though I didn't feel the need to voice it this early on. I do want our anti-magic abilities to be comparable to Shear or Aether Cloak. If not, then what's the point? Why not choose a magic guild with both the benefits to magic and the best benefits to anti-magic?

The MM guild is all about lunar magic. That'd be like giving another guild better lunar magic spells yet maintaining better use of other magic spells over MMs.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/18/2010 06:02 PM CST
<I would rather have the boards updated to something more usable then our circa 1995 superedition forums, then to have our skills updated, to block something thats a potential. The only category i read is barbarians unless something is referenced elsewhere, then ill work my courage up to wade into what feels like thigh deep mire.>

Kinda my point.. trying to find news about something on the boards isn't the best way. It's hard to go through the boards and years of messages trying to figure out whats current vs. proposed changes by GM's or just player speculation and what was actually changed etc etc.

So again I'd love to hear what was meant by proposed changes to combat in regards to DFA spells when I jokingly suggested they get rid of them when passive MR went away.

Also after reading the post about the magic changes being designed from the ground up with barb changes being kept in mind/balanced, my mind has been put at ease a lot more. Overall it sounds like they are going to try to roll in our fixes around the same time so hopefully things all work out for everyone.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/18/2010 06:08 PM CST
<I do want our anti-magic abilities to be comparable to Shear or Aether Cloak.>

Amen.. I don't see why we shouldn't be better or at the very least as good in the anti-magic/magic defense as any other guild. We give up a lot for MR.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/18/2010 06:15 PM CST
>So again I'd love to hear what was meant by proposed changes to combat in regards to DFA spells when I jokingly suggested they get rid of them when passive MR went away.

...for once I actually can't find it. There was a really ominous "You assume DFA will be worth it" post.

Re: Passive MR Going Away 01/18/2010 06:38 PM CST
>There was a really ominous "You assume DFA will be worth it" post.

I read this as well. I've read many cryptic posts about what new combat may or may not be like at this point, so I'm not really sure what to expect. In general, the idea is to reduce the occurrence of one shot deaths though.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 04/21/2010 03:10 PM CDT
Hmmm. So I'm getting into this pretty late into the discussion because as a rule I dont read forums, lazy girl that I am. We're losing BMR, but gaining abilities to actively resist magic? To me this seems like a good thing. I was married to a ranger, who couldnt compost in the same room as me, simply because of my BMR. Now if I'd had the active abilities instead, I wouldnt have prevented him from raising power for the empath that had just healed me and him. There are so many times when BMR works against you that in my honest opinion this change seems like a change for the better.

Of course I'm not really a high level barb and possibly I dont understand the chan in its entirety, but from what I DO understand, I welcome the change.

Player of Meantermel.
Re: Passive MR Going Away 04/21/2010 03:25 PM CDT
well it will help with MU's that are friendly...but it'll be missed when some invisble mage casts at you and there's no way to put up your MR....if you do zero PvP it likely won't be missed, but if you do....one fried barb
Prev_page Previous 1 3