BMR Suggestion 08/14/2009 11:28 AM CDT
I'd like to suggest that BMR work against offensive/disabling spells in addition to just helpful magical items and spells.

Example: Even-circled Warrior Mage (with significantly less TM than my evasion and shield) can cast Ice Patch and make me slip and fall prone every cast. I'm willing to bet money that if he rubbed a TM CJ he could do more than just making me fall on my shield. In return for this awesome resistance to TM I am mechanically prevented from using CJs and Gwethsmashers.

Example2: An empath friend of unknown circle can cast Nissa's Binding on me so that I fall asleep for several (5+ IIRC) minutes. When she attempts to cast a spell to wake me up, I resist every single time.

I like the anti-magic aspect of the Barbarian guild, but I'd really like it to either A) be relaxed in regard to beneficial magic and magic items or B) have the resistance to harmful magic cranked up to a noticeable level AT ALL CIRCLES.

[21:34] Your mind hears Mujaki thinking, "You are never too young for liquor."
[21:34] Your mind hears Kalnean thinking, "You don't have any kids, do you."
[21:35] Your mind hears Mujaki thinking, "I hope not."
Re: BMR Suggestion 08/14/2009 11:54 AM CDT
>>Example2: An empath friend of unknown circle can cast Nissa's Binding on me so that I fall asleep for several (5+ IIRC) minutes. When she attempts to cast a spell to wake me up, I resist every single time.

This happens because NB is flagged as a "helpful" spell and the contest is on the link, not the subsequent cast of NB, this will be changing

~Arwinia

http://www.llbbl.com/data/RPG-motivational/target262.html
Re: BMR Suggestion 08/14/2009 12:07 PM CDT
I've never resisted a heart link, even from empaths who are much lower circle, whereas I do resist NB casts by said lowbies. The whole system seems a bit out of whack, but what else is new, right?

[21:34] Your mind hears Mujaki thinking, "You are never too young for liquor."
[21:34] Your mind hears Kalnean thinking, "You don't have any kids, do you."
[21:35] Your mind hears Mujaki thinking, "I hope not."
Re: BMR Suggestion 08/14/2009 12:13 PM CDT
>>I've never resisted a heart link, even from empaths who are much lower circle, whereas I do resist NB casts by said lowbies. The whole system seems a bit out of whack, but what else is new, right?

heart link is also a beneficial spell and I'm assuming the mentals of an empath are probably significantly higher than yours because they don't need to train all stats for combat atm

Yes, it's broken. Armifer, Zeyurn and Dart have been working on it and having discussions in the empath folders about it.

~Arwinia

http://www.llbbl.com/data/RPG-motivational/target262.html
Re: BMR Suggestion 08/14/2009 12:43 PM CDT
>>I'd like to suggest that BMR work against offensive/disabling spells in addition to just helpful magical items and spells.

It does. Just not a lot.

I did a test one time against Dazzle. My SvA stats pretty much outclassed the Moon Mage's (I'm starting to think the forumulas posted on SC and Elanthipedia aren't accurate). I discovered that it only took an additional 10 or so mana to overcome my BMR boost from Dragon.

I also got the stats on an Empath that casted NB on me. My stats were much higher.

Personally, I believe there are just as many issues with spell contests as there are with BMR. I've noticed that high discipline on the caster's side makes a HUGE difference, even if the defender's stats still outclass theirs.

Likewise, BMR is insane against TM at upper levels. 700 evasion was completely dodging Tropicalo, Jhime, and Galain's 1000+ TM.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: BMR Suggestion 08/14/2009 12:59 PM CDT
>(I'm starting to think the forumulas posted on SC and Elanthipedia aren't accurate)

That's likely because they aren't. Which is why the Elanthipedia article says things like:

"Note: These are old formulas and are likely no longer accurate."

Dartenian says, "The thing that makes Dragon Dance king is that it pretty much bonuses every single that can possibly be buffed for combat. Including at least two things that don't even exist."
Re: BMR Suggestion 08/14/2009 01:14 PM CDT
>Likewise, BMR is insane against TM at upper levels. 700 evasion was completely dodging Tropicalo, Jhime, and Galain's 1000+ TM.

I started noticing TM growing noticeably stronger around 300 total stats.

With 330 total stats I tested with a WM who had over 100 ranks more TM than my Evasion and Shield and much better stats. He couldn't get past my shield with ALA and couldn't hit me at all with LB while I was dancing Dragon.

This seems more powerful than it actually is when you take into account the stats boosts from Dragon as well as the defensive boosts. I estimate (based on zero scientific facts) that Dragon probably narrowed that 100+ rank gap to around 30-40 ranks. That doesn't seem too powerful for a "passive" ability when compared to other passive abilities like Ranger Bonus and Thief Confidence.