BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/03/2009 06:14 PM CDT
Suggestion:

BMR interacts with (degrades) a targeting matrix, we should have a chance to sense when there's one forming around us. Basically, I want a chance to detect someone targeting me from hiding.

Normal preping? No way, doesn't interact with us, but the targeting matrix should have a chance to twinge something.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Weapon Combo Balance List
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance.xls
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/03/2009 11:45 PM CDT
I like it :)

~Talo, Prydaen Barbarian~
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/04/2009 02:03 AM CDT
>>BMR interacts with (degrades) a targeting matrix, we should have a chance to sense when there's one forming around us. Basically, I want a chance to detect someone targeting me from hiding.

The current contest uses Power Perception skill. What skill would you think appropriate for the contest you are proposing?

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/04/2009 02:49 AM CDT
>The current contest uses Power Perception skill. What skill would you think appropriate for the contest you are proposing?

If a skill is required, rather than a stat check, I would have to say Perception. We're not trying to use the same senses that a mage would use (Power Perception), we're trying to detect the feeling of BMR "activating" when there's no visual reason for it to (general Perception). Make it similar in function to the Paladin sixth sense.

We can feel when our Inner Fire alters its state and, current bugginess notwithstanding, Inner Fire interacts with mana streams (including those of a targeting pattern), so why shouldn't we have a chance to notice it?

Gor'Tog Barbarian
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/04/2009 03:18 AM CDT
I wouldn't be opposed to Perception being used, as long as Inner Fire is factored into the formula somehow.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/04/2009 03:32 AM CDT
>I wouldn't be opposed to Perception being used, as long as Inner Fire is factored into the formula somehow.

Are we talking IF usage or a check vs current IF ?

IF you meant usage then yes I would disagree simply because we have no way beyond a few vague messages to indicate a range of where our current level of IF is and with so many abilities already using IF adding another would IMO justify the need for a more accurate scale.

-Denz

It isn't a troll thread because we don't agree with you. A troll is when someone posts something (usually offensive) just to get a reaction from people - Copernicus
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/04/2009 07:18 AM CDT
Well, as we can SMELL magic, as any barbarian that tried to put on a gweth shell whould know. So we should be able to SMELL the matrix forming.

On the seriousside, I can see perception as the skill base, but I would rather see it based on BMR and IF. The stronger the BMR, and the bigger the IF pool, the quicker we would smell it, and where is was coming from.
______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/04/2009 07:57 AM CDT
I wouldn't have any issue at all with using Perception to contest "noticing" a target matrix being formed around you, and since it's a matrix forming around you, and your IF aura extends to "twice your height" or whatever, it would seem to me that there is a contest between the matrix forming and your IF which may have a chance to shred the matrix if it's strong enough.

I like the idea. It makes sense.

If it helps, just think of yourself as the fluorescent light in the buglamp of life.

- GM Dartenian
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/04/2009 10:36 AM CDT
I am all for perception being part of the check. It also just makes sense that the higher one's inner fire is, the better chance they have at successfully sensing a matrix form. I'm not so sure about an IF hit for sensing it though. Wouldn't that open it up for abuse and purposfully takning IF? Wasn't that why many spells lost their IF hit?

~Talo, Prydaen Barbarian~
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/04/2009 01:13 PM CDT
That would be awesome if that were possible to sense when someone is targetting you as a Barbarian.

- Simon
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/04/2009 03:52 PM CDT
I don't really care one way or another, but last time this subject came up Armifer seemed intent on leaving it as a PP check.
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/04/2009 05:11 PM CDT
I definitely think IF level should come into play. However, if there is a dynamic variable on our side, I think there should be one on the caster's side as well:

Assumption: The more powerful the spell (more mana put into it), the more powerful the targeting matrix. This is supported by the fact that more mana will resist (B)MR destroying the targeting matrix (so I have been told).
Derived Result: The more powerful the spell, the more easily the matrix should be to detect.

Gor'Tog Barbarian
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/05/2009 11:10 PM CDT
>>I don't really care one way or another, but last time this subject came up Armifer seemed intent on leaving it as a PP check.

Armifer had in mind some changes to the Magic skillset that have been delayed a little bit, culminating with replacing MD with a NMU-friendly "magical knowledge" skill to toss things like identifying preps and reading scrolls into.

My ideas for the magic skillset are likely not going to happen in the immediate future and I'm willing to entertain other ideas.

-Armifer
<Kvlt> Step 1: Want stuff! Step 2: Be ambitious! Step 3: Believe in the ability of your fellow man to carry you to heights you are too incompetent to reach alone.
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/05/2009 11:13 PM CDT
>>Armifer had in mind some changes to the Magic skillset that have been delayed a little bit, culminating with replacing MD with a NMU-friendly "magical knowledge" skill to toss things like identifying preps and reading scrolls into.

Now this sounds interesting

-Denz

It isn't a troll thread because we don't agree with you. A troll is when someone posts something (usually offensive) just to get a reaction from people - Copernicus
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/05/2009 11:30 PM CDT
MD is already such a narrow skill you can cut yourself with it, and with Enchanting coming...

Wish I hadn't just heard about that idea with a "And... it's likely delayed indefinitely" :(
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/06/2009 12:46 AM CDT
>Armifer had in mind some changes to the Magic skillset that have been delayed a little bit, culminating with replacing MD with a NMU-friendly "magical knowledge" skill to toss things like identifying preps and reading scrolls into.

Armifer wanted to give us another magic skill? Please sir... don't abandon your dreams!
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/06/2009 02:13 AM CDT
>>Armifer wanted to give us another magic skill? Please sir... don't abandon your dreams!

Naw, the idea was to rename and expand the already existing MD skill. Though an argument could be made for a 6th magic skill if we ever had enough MDs for MD to matter post-Enchanting skill.

-Armifer
<Kvlt> Step 1: Want stuff! Step 2: Be ambitious! Step 3: Believe in the ability of your fellow man to carry you to heights you are too incompetent to reach alone.
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/08/2009 05:45 PM CDT
Scholarship
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/08/2009 06:57 PM CDT
>>Scholarship

Not to be off-topic but is there a better way to train scholarship than a compendium?

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/08/2009 06:59 PM CDT
<<Not to be off-topic but is there a better way to train scholarship than a compendium?

Studying the artwork at Raven's Court is great for both scholarship and appraisal. Though not a portable solution. And there appears to be a rather hefty timer on each piece before you can learn from it again.

- George, Player of Foresee
Re: BMR Rewrite Suggestion 07/08/2009 07:53 PM CDT
Compendium + Origami + Classes = crazy scholarship ranks

If it helps, just think of yourself as the fluorescent light in the buglamp of life.

- GM Dartenian