Magic Resistance - Suggestion 02/17/2008 07:39 PM CST
Like Caraamon and I suggested during the meeting, many of us would give up roars, dances and berserks to get some increase in BMR. Have the dances be prerequisites for each other so that giving up one would push all the others back a few levels, and you would still have to have all the rest to get Dragon. Roars and berserks wouldn't be as affected, it would just be one for one, either take a roar or take an increase in BMR. At level 150 a barbarian with no dances, roars, or berserks could be magic proof, but would have no boosters to increase combat ability or intimidate the enemy.

mfberg
Re: Magic Resistance - Suggestion 02/17/2008 08:06 PM CST
I just think we should be given the option to be beneficial magic proof.

Re: Magic Resistance - Suggestion 02/17/2008 08:35 PM CST
>>I just think we should be given the option to be beneficial magic proof.

Using avoids and letting people know you will kill them for casting ANY sort of magic at you will make you nearly immune to beneficial magic from a practical stand-point.

Immunity or near-immunity sounds great in theory but, honestly, it would be way too overpowered. A guild that learns all combat skills secondary or higher, has the most powerful combat buffs in the game and innate resistance to magic (which is a huge huge system) is pushing the envelope already.
Prime: Malkien
Prime: (Necromancer Bob- coming to DR in '08!)
TF: Ganymede
Re: Magic Resistance - Suggestion 02/18/2008 02:29 AM CST
>Immunity or near-immunity sounds great in theory but, honestly, it would be way too overpowered.

Agreed, however your way to avoid it will make your character totally immune to it rather quickly as you won't be able to log in.

>the most powerful combat buffs in the game..

Lets take a look at that shall we?

Dragon Dance Benefits: (For me Dragon last 10 minutes)
Substantial boost to evasion
Substantial boost to shield
Substantial boost to parry
Boost to multi-opponent
Increased intimidation
Bonus to melee offense
Bonus to ranged offense
Bonus to Strength
Bonus to Stamina
Bonus to Reflex
Bonus to Agility

Benefits of being a Paladin:
Ability to throw of a stun (16 minutes).
Armor's protection and absorption is increased significantly (12 minutes)
Increase to defense (10 minutes)
Increase to offense(10 minutes) with option to increase offense more with lead (increased further with Marshal Order[14 minutes])
Ability to have two defenses used to 100 percent of effectiveness and the other to 47 percent while maintaining 100 percent attack capability (10 minutes)
Increase to perception (24 minutes)
Increase of multi opponent (6 minutes)
Bonus to strength (5 minutes)
Bonus stamina (12 minutes)
Bonus to discipline (10 minutes)
Bonus to intelligence (10 minutes)

Now this is the numbers after everything has been cast.

Do I think Dragon dance isn't awesome? Of course not, its the liger of abilities. But mainly because it only takes me 5 seconds to 'cast' it not because there aren't other guilds capable of giving themselves substantial combat boosts.
___
~Ternith Sjomah

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
Re: Magic Resistance - Suggestion 02/18/2008 06:27 AM CST
I'd still take the barb. Due to the fact that the skill sets are better. A barb of equal circle will still benefit more from the dragon dance then a Paladin with spells.

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Magic Resistance - Suggestion 02/18/2008 06:33 AM CST
>>Like Caraamon and I suggested during the meeting, many of us would give up roars, dances and berserks to get some increase in BMR. Have the dances be prerequisites for each other so that giving up one would push all the others back a few levels, and you would still have to have all the rest to get Dragon. Roars and berserks wouldn't be as affected, it would just be one for one, either take a roar or take an increase in BMR. At level 150 a barbarian with no dances, roars, or berserks could be magic proof, but would have no boosters to increase combat ability or intimidate the enemy.

It absolutely blows my mind that folks would give up dances and roars and such for increased BMR. After that meeting I swear some of you are really blind to how well off our guild is.

Is there room for improvement? Sure. Do we need a full rewrite of dances and roars and the addition of pets and increased BMR?

No.

-Galren Moonskin

!>You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.
Re: Magic Resistance - Suggestion 02/18/2008 07:39 AM CST
Agreed, Agreed, Disagree still like the pet idea, agreed with the addition of I think what is used to grant BMR should be looked at.
___
~Ternith Sjomah

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
Re: Magic Resistance - Suggestion 02/18/2008 03:31 PM CST
<<Like Caraamon and I suggested during the meeting, many of us would give up roars, dances and berserks to get some increase in BMR. Have the dances be prerequisites for each other so that giving up one would push all the others back a few levels, and you would still have to have all the rest to get Dragon. Roars and berserks wouldn't be as affected, it would just be one for one, either take a roar or take an increase in BMR. At level 150 a barbarian with no dances, roars, or berserks could be magic proof, but would have no boosters to increase combat ability or intimidate the enemy.

I would really really like to know who "many of us" are...sound off please. It would helpful to know if it really is "many of us".
Re: Magic Resistance - Suggestion 02/18/2008 04:43 PM CST
I don't know if it's because I'm not that high circle or just that I don't CvC as a rule but I don't want to give up dances, berserks and roars for BMR personally. I'm just not seeing the point to it yet. I'm sure I'm missing something here but seriously, why? If this is just a CvC thing then pfft, don't be changing stuff for the entire guild based on the small percentage that feel they need it to be big bad barb in a spar.
Re: Magic Resistance - Suggestion 03/01/2008 11:41 PM CST
It has absolutely nothing to do with CvC, as anyone who knows me knows I don't do it.

So why? Because, its the portion of the barbarian guild that I focus on. There's a reason I got the custom title Magic's Death. Given the choice, I'd give up just about any of our abilities to boost BMR.

I don't get rejuved. The only time I've used gweths was when I was forced to by my militia position. I don't gate, I don't use CJ, I buy up cambrinth and feed it to the gelapod. Anti-magic is what I do.

There is an inherant issue with a system that contests a stat-based power against a skill-based one. Why shouldn't I have just as much flexibility as some mage who has the option to overtrain their magic skills?

Just because you aren't interested in it, doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. BMR and magic avoidance is the most unique thing about our guild, I don't feel its wrong to ask for more flexibility.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Magic Resistance - Suggestion 05/21/2008 01:21 PM CDT
>>It absolutely blows my mind that folks would give up dances and roars and such for increased BMR. After that meeting I swear some of you are really blind to how well off our guild is.

>>Is there room for improvement? Sure. Do we need a full rewrite of dances and roars and the addition of pets and increased BMR?

I'll stick with dances and roars, thanks