Issues with BMR 01/28/2008 10:59 PM CST
I think the concentration change may have messed up BMR. I'm not sure how. All I know is, I couldn't touch the 150th barbs when they were dancing before, and I certainly couldn't hit them with TM spells. Tonight I was able to MB Raging and Reyn, WD both of them (a total joke as that's a SvStamina spell and I have 20 strength/30 stamina), and I accidentally killed Reyn with a single cast of burn. So something is drastically different...
Re: Issues with BMR 01/28/2008 11:01 PM CST
I should add that I was also able to cast AUS on Raging as well, and that is technically a beneficial spell.
Re: Issues with BMR 01/29/2008 06:38 AM CST
Perhaps at the high end there is some kind of roll over issue?

Testing against a war mage who is 7 circles my senior, he was able to hit me with both ALA and LB using its capped cast, myself not dancing. Once I put up dragon I was shield blocking the ALA and dodging the LB. His TM is only a few ranks behind my evasion and our stats are even in the agility to reflexes contest.

I'd like to point out that I didn't nerf his TM into the ground or under a general snap cause because his ALA went from slicing me in two to being shield blocked. If BMR had run his TM into the ground I would have dodged.

Anyways - it does sound like something funky is going on. One other thing I noticed which might pertain to you guys... during my testing with this war mage, my dragon fell, though I never received any messaging about it. I've got this line highlighted bright red and it plays an alert sound so I'm positive I didn't miss it.

-Galren Moonskin

!>You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.
Re: Issues with BMR 01/29/2008 06:55 AM CST
Sounds like they're tweaking BMR.
Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror.
Re: Issues with BMR 01/29/2008 07:04 AM CST
<<Sounds like they're tweaking BMR.>>

No, we haven't made any changes.

-Ssra

"Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."
Re: Issues with BMR 01/29/2008 07:05 AM CST
>>No, we haven't made any changes.

That's weird? I don't seem to be getting the same bonus from dancing as I was before.

This seems to be within the past 24 hours or so. Granted I didn't test it extensively but I didn't notice any large change to MR right after the concentration changes.
Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror.
Re: Issues with BMR 01/29/2008 07:06 AM CST
When I get home from work I'll find my war mage test buddy and repeat my same tests with Dragon and see if something fell off the wagon.

-Galren Moonskin

!>You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.
Re: Issues with BMR 01/29/2008 08:26 AM CST
I should add that Reyn has over 150 ranks more evasion than I do TM, so his BMR couldn't have affected my accuracy much at all when I incinerated his abdomen. This is a drastic difference from testing just a couple weeks before the concentration change, so I can't help but finger that as the culprit.
Re: Issues with BMR 01/29/2008 01:55 PM CST
> This is a drastic difference from testing just a couple weeks before the concentration change, so I can't help but finger that as the culprit.

I've checked the numbers in TF, and they appear to be working. There's been no change to the code for MR or to the core magic that check MR since last April. Concentration itself isn't used at all in the MR calculations on either side, at least not in a way that would directly impact the end results. Low concentration can reduce spell effectiveness, but not skill/difficulty (the only things that go into overcoming resistance), and concentration obviously affects dances, but not MR directly, and not in a way that would lower it in any case.

I'll spot check a few more times during the week, but so far I'm not seeing any oddities in the output from tests, so I'm not sure what's going on.

- GM Dartenian

"So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried, he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled that thing
That couldn't be done and he did it."
- Edgar Guest