BMR and Berserk, bug? 01/19/2008 09:20 AM CST
Dart recently posted that if a barbarian has any IF at all then they have all their BMR. How does that work with berserks then? The idea was that berserking reduced IF, which reduced BMR, and that is why berserks never held a candle to dances. But if IF loss doesn't hurt BMR then that cannot be true and berserks must be broken on some other level?

I'm just curious what peoples' thoughts on this are. I'd love it if berserking was a bit better at the magical defense side.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: BMR and Berserk, bug? 01/19/2008 11:23 AM CST
>>The idea was that berserking reduced IF, which reduced BMR, and that is why berserks never held a candle to dances.

Yes, berserking and dancing use up Inner Fire which reduces BMR, but the active use of one's Inner Fire results in an increase in BMR while the ability is running.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
Re: BMR and Berserk, bug? 01/19/2008 12:27 PM CST
Yeah, I don't think berserks are broken. They just don't provide as big of a BMR boost as dances, with the exception of Steel. Should they? I don't think they should. I'd rather see some uniqueness with the higher end berserks.

Steel provides a bigger base BMR boost than even Dragon, but I hear the overall boost from Dragon is greater because it increases more stats.

After testing, currently for me, Steel raises my overall BMR more than Dragon does, so I guess I gotta kind of grow into Dragon.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: BMR and Berserk, bug? 01/19/2008 12:45 PM CST
> But if IF loss doesn't hurt BMR then that cannot be true and berserks must be broken on some other level?

The reason Zerks reduce BMR has nothing to do with IF and everything to do with penalizing some of the factors that go into calculating base MR in the first place.

This is why I say zerks, dances, roars, and all can really mess up trying to track what's going on with BMR. Some of them can raise or lower base MR while trying to directly bonus or penalize BMR. As a result, the effects you think you are seeing may not relate to the causes you might initially suspect, like IF loss. As things stand right now, IF has absolutely no effect on BMR, except when you have no IF at all. It is all or nothing. Abilities that use IF, however, can inadvertently reduce BMR indirectly, sometimes drastically.

- GM Dartenian

"So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried, he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled that thing
That couldn't be done and he did it."
- Edgar Guest
Re: BMR and Berserk, bug? 01/19/2008 03:23 PM CST
<<The reason Zerks reduce BMR has nothing to do with IF and everything to do with penalizing some of the factors that go into calculating base MR in the first place.

This is why I say zerks, dances, roars, and all can really mess up trying to track what's going on with BMR. Some of them can raise or lower base MR while trying to directly bonus or penalize BMR. As a result, the effects you think you are seeing may not relate to the causes you might initially suspect, like IF loss. As things stand right now, IF has absolutely no effect on BMR, except when you have no IF at all. It is all or nothing. Abilities that use IF, however, can inadvertently reduce BMR indirectly, sometimes drastically.>>

So, like when you berserk some stats are lowered? Or atleast I heard that somewhere...like Intell? ...which hurts base MR, which can greatly hurt BMR....or something like that? Does zerks lower disc?
Re: BMR and Berserk, bug? 01/19/2008 07:25 PM CST
I've heard all stats have a relation in effect to BMR, any stats that are disparagingly low will kill certain aspects of barb-dome. But, ive heard of midlevel people with 6 sintelligence and normal other stats doing alright. (someone who posts alot)
So, its all rather confusing, and i dont get mechanical at all.

Re: BMR and Berserk, bug? 01/19/2008 11:38 PM CST
<<I've heard all stats have a relation in effect to BMR, any stats that are disparagingly low will kill certain aspects of barb-dome. But, ive heard of midlevel people with 6 sintelligence and normal other stats doing alright. (someone who posts alot)
So, its all rather confusing, and i dont get mechanical at all. >>

Yes, I have heard that as well....but I am not totally sure how I remember it. I (think) I remember that boosting your lowest costing stat is the best way to go. ....therefor increasing your total (cummulative) stats. So, its not necessarily the "lowest" stat holding yoy back for base MR. So "base" MR could be a combination of "total" stats + a modifier from certain individual stats?
Re: BMR and Berserk, bug? 01/21/2008 08:45 PM CST
>Yes, I have heard that as well....but I am not totally sure how I remember it. I (think) I remember that boosting your lowest costing stat is the best way to go. ....therefor increasing your total (cummulative) stats. So, its not necessarily the "lowest" stat holding yoy back for base MR. So "base" MR could be a combination of "total" stats + a modifier from certain individual stats?

Magic Resistance:
((str + stm)/2) * ((agi + ref)/2)) + (int * wis) + (dis * cha)

________
Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.