And while on the topic of bard and barb interraction 08/29/2006 06:32 PM CDT
Master Poet Xanzie just arrived.

Xanzie appears to be concentrating intently on something.

You sense a decrease in the level of your inner fire.
The air shifts as the persuasive melody of Xanzie's enchante surrounds you, and suddenly the area seems much less dry.

Master Poet Xanzie just went west.

You kneel.

You begin to meditate upon the blood drop amulet, your inner fire swelling as you center your mind, body, and spirit.

Surrounding your reflection is a brilliant aura of beautiful flames extending a little more than one and half times your height above your body.

25% hit just from a power walk. Worst part, he didn't even care. He didn't even look at me, just too busy getting those PP ranks.

Niamara
4 out of 3 barbarians have trouble with fractions
Re: And while on the topic of bard and barb interraction 08/29/2006 06:44 PM CDT
>25% hit just from a power walk. Worst part, he didn't even care. He didn't even look at me, just too busy getting those PP ranks.

I guess you didn't look either. Xanzie is a female.

I didn't think the IF hits were supposed to be large, everything bards have been told is that they are "insignificant" but I suppose that may have changed. Or, its based on the enchante being used.

That was Merelew's Legacy. If it matters.

Huldah: *hums the tune to 'Final Countdown'. Me: Stop that! Huldah: What? Me: STOP HUMMING THAT! Huldah: I don't know what you're talking about. Are you hearing things? (humming). Me: Only 19 more days of this? Right?!
Re: And while on the topic of bard and barb interraction 08/29/2006 06:57 PM CDT
Nope, didn't look. Was trying to figure out my tinderbox. Sorry Xanzie, didn't mean to alter you there.

Niamara
4 out of 3 barbarians have trouble with fractions
Re: And while on the topic of bard and barb interraction 08/29/2006 09:11 PM CDT
>>Xanzie sings legacy
>>25% IF hit just from a power walk. Worst part, she didn't even care. She didn't even look at me, just too busy getting those PP ranks.

What's your point? Is Xanzie supposed to survey the room she is going to walk into to determine if there is anyone there that might take IF hits due to losing a contested BMR vs Bard magic contest?

You took an IF hit from area effect magic because you don't have enough BMR to resist it (since enchantes now work like all other AOE magic). We're trying to come up with solutions for this (and the inverse problem of you stopping Xanzie cold mid-song just by existing).

What would solve this to your liking? If we go with the "enchantes are part music and part magic" idea, and assume its 50/50 for this example, your IF hit would be multiplied by the percentage of that enchante that is magical, so it would become 12%. Is that fair?

E
Re: And while on the topic of bard and barb interraction 08/29/2006 11:25 PM CDT
No, because a 12% hit would still not be enough to convince a barb and a bard to ever try to hunt together. a 1% hit perhaps, but not 12%. You have to realize an enchante will pulse many many many times during a hunting experience. What the heck kind of barb wants that? What kind of bard wants a continued resistance in the group to their enchante for everyone?

I say make barbs completely ignore BENEFICAL enchantes, grouped or ungrouped. No IF hit. No benefits gained.

As for DETRIMENTAL enchantes that are being used ON the barb, have them operate like they do now. They add to room MR for making it fail. They take an IF hit if it succeeds. They get affected. Resolve comes to mind here.

It really is a dang complicated problem to solve.

* edited for misspelling.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!