AVOID MAGIC 05/06/2006 10:57 AM CDT
Can we get something that would allow us to either turn off friendly spells or use our magic restance to stop them?

I feel so very dirty.....

Caraamon Majerye,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/06/2006 11:24 AM CDT
your mr does try to stop friendly spells
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/06/2006 11:26 AM CDT
MR, for some reason, has no effect on shared spells such as MES and ZOP, and likewise, they provide no IF hit when shared.

-Fuquois-

Milgrym asks, "How does 666 coins strike you?"
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/06/2006 11:57 AM CDT
Yup, damn mages. I wanna resist ALL spells.

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/06/2006 01:26 PM CDT
>>MR, for some reason, has no effect on shared spells such as MES and ZOP, and likewise, they provide no IF hit when shared.

Yes it does.

MR affects friendly/helpful spells more than negative spells too.

I am --- Navak
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/06/2006 07:50 PM CDT
>>Yes it does.

A lot.

350 PM and I have to triple the amount of mana I prep SOP at to get it to go off with an equal circle barb in my group.

-Teeklin

This post (including the signature) is in no way meant to offend anyone nor is it an attempt to troll or be "cute". Hopefully my opinions do not conflict with yours in any way.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/09/2006 09:34 AM CDT
I think they should repel rejuve and resurrect, too!

~Dulcinia

If it was just a 3-hour tour, why did the Howells pack so much stuff?

[Meerc] "People are irritatesome..."
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/09/2006 10:15 AM CDT
>I think they should repel rejuve and resurrect, too!

We do when we are alive.

You have the right to remain stupid. If you hold to that right, anything you say can and will be used against you to expose your stupidity.
-Arcane Elemental Barbarian of the 12" rock formation formerly known as Stonehenge, Rayje Bledd
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/09/2006 05:57 PM CDT
>I think they should repel rejuve and resurrect, too!

I agree. No sarcasm at all. I don't use clerics at all, I just depart, because I hate magic.

How about a way to use Magic Resistance to interfere with the mana of a room. Sort of reverse fissure/empath thingie.

I'd use that all the time, especially in front of the mage guilds.

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/10/2006 05:38 PM CDT
>How about a way to use Magic Resistance to interfere with the mana of a room. Sort of reverse fissure/empath thingie.

>roar bane

You have the right to remain stupid. If you hold to that right, anything you say can and will be used against you to expose your stupidity.
-Arcane Elemental Barbarian of the 12" rock formation formerly known as Stonehenge, Rayje Bledd
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/10/2006 07:24 PM CDT
No, not with people in the room, but with the room mana itself. So it stays that way a while even after I've left or new people wander in.

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/10/2006 08:31 PM CDT
Magic resistance is an unconscious side-effect...to have it be consciously controlled and forced outward as some sort of non-intrinsic thing...would be a pretty huge change.

I understand the feeling to want to leave an impact, but I don't think this sort of thing would mesh with how things are supposed to work.

I am --- Navak
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/11/2006 12:49 AM CDT
It could logically follow from the way we disrupt area-affect spells. Instead, we disrupt area mana. You're right about right now its unconcious, but that doesn't mean from an purely IC standpoint that its impossible. Just hasn't been done yet.

And I'm the master of doing things no one else does. Wanna see my scars?

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/11/2006 10:50 AM CDT
We need to be able to manipulate anti-mana! But to make it sound cool we'll call it dark mana.

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." -H. Simpson
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/11/2006 01:11 PM CDT
Right but we don't disrupt mana, we actually resist disruptions to mana.

Mana is the river, mages are the people building dams/canals etc...

We're the angry forest spirits that kill the construction workers, have a BBQ, and put things back to normal.

I am --- Navak
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/11/2006 02:54 PM CDT
I could see mana disruption becoming the effect of a meditation. You concentrate and expand your will onto the area, driving out all traces of magic/mana.

-Fuquois-

Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/11/2006 03:15 PM CDT
Don't get me wrong Navak, I don't want to seem like I'm calling you a liar, but is that your person belief or is there any in-game or GM support for that view? I don't recall hearing of anything like that being said, unless it was on the magic board <shudder>.

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/11/2006 03:15 PM CDT
Magic resistance does not disrupt mana. Mages disrupt mana. Barbarians resist the disruption. I thought the construction worker and forest spirit example was so clear...

I am --- Navak
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/11/2006 04:32 PM CDT
>Don't get me wrong Navak, I don't want to seem like I'm calling you a liar, but is that your person belief or is there any in-game or GM support for that view? I don't recall hearing of anything like that being said, unless it was on the magic board <shudder>.

Sorry Caraamon, but thats how magic theory was 'worked out' by the magic GM's. With the holes in magic theory, who knows, things might change. Its a magic theory, not a magic postulate.

Ps. It might be changed in either DR 3.0 or magic 3.0

Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/11/2006 06:49 PM CDT
>>Sorry Caraamon, but thats how magic theory was 'worked out' by the magic GM's. With the holes in magic theory, who knows, things might change. Its a magic theory, not a magic postulate.
>>Rayje

Ew. Damn mages and their GMs too.

Still, its more or less workable. How about a way to make the streams even more static while we're in the room? Basically we start disrupting patterns for all spells, personal, area and targetted? We don't just kick down the damns in our local area but we join an ecoterrorism group with a global network!

Hey it could even have a cumulative effect if multiple barbarians do it at the same time.

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/12/2006 11:30 AM CDT
>Hey it could even have a cumulative effect if multiple barbarians do it at the same time.

Hmmm... I think that would require a dancing circle and I'm not holding hands with other guys!

Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/12/2006 02:22 PM CDT
Isn't that what the magic bane roar does? (lowers effectivs HA/PM of all mages)
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/12/2006 04:18 PM CDT
>>Isn't that what the magic bane roar does? (lowers effectivs HA/PM of all mages)

Not exactly what I'm talking about. The roar uses intimidation effects to disrupt the mage's concentration or something along those lines.

I'm asking for something to directly inhibit/screw with/annihilate magic itself. Mmmm anti-magic field.

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/12/2006 05:10 PM CDT
What he wants is a mana bomb :)

For a system that started out so colorful, titles are becoming a washed out shade of grey.
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/12/2006 08:12 PM CDT
If you convince one of your GMs to make our mana bombs work... I'll share.

-Wighten
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/12/2006 08:18 PM CDT
I am always asking to be able to make them work.

Gamemaster Iayn
Barbarian Liaison
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/13/2006 04:04 PM CDT
.... okay, I feel stupid. Mana bomb?

Caraamon Majerye,
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/13/2006 10:56 PM CDT
<<Mana bomb?>>

Okay I'm going to guess but I want to say it was something that was used during the Sorrow War. It drains everyone's mana in the room or drains the room of all types of mana. I'm probably wrong though...

Sal

"i beat the internet, the end guy is hard"

"We also want to come to your house and kill your kittens, too."
Armifer
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/14/2006 09:40 AM CDT
No, Sal, I seem to remember that being when these bombs started showing. Talk about annoying, especially in the triage areas!

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/14/2006 10:42 AM CDT
Mana bombs made me love Darkensi even more. He's so dreamy. <sigh>

-Fuquois-

Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/14/2006 11:31 AM CDT
They're also an easter egg on mana traps for thieves but there are/were some issues with them.

I am --- Navak
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/14/2006 11:42 AM CDT
>>They're also an easter egg on mana traps for thieves but there are/were some issues with them.<<

The issue is they purposefuly misled us into thinking they would work by making them one of the rarest easter eggs out there, and completely neglected to tell us they're only special capability was to sell for an extra few bronze. I was extremely disappointed.

-Wighten
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/14/2006 08:59 PM CDT
Errr, I've seen them used in an invasion...or was that just a holdover from some other invasion/festival/event item?

I am --- Navak
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/14/2006 11:13 PM CDT
<<It could logically follow from the way we disrupt area-affect spells. Instead, we disrupt area mana. You're right about right now its unconcious, but that doesn't mean from an purely IC standpoint that its impossible. Just hasn't been done yet.>>

Well, Barbarians will resist area-affect spells with their MR already.

<<Can we get something that would allow us to either turn off friendly spells or use our magic restance to stop them?>>

If you are in a group and someone is casting a spell that can affect the group, you can leave the group.

<<No, not with people in the room, but with the room mana itself. So it stays that way a while even after I've left or new people wander in.>>
<<Still, its more or less workable. How about a way to make the streams even more static while we're in the room? Basically we start disrupting patterns for all spells, personal, area and targetted? We don't just kick down the damns in our local area but we join an ecoterrorism group with a global network!>>

I don't think just standing in a room should disrupt mana for game balance reasons. Resisting mana is another different issue.

Besides the mana bomb, you can also change the mana type of the room with some item. Ex-SCC Pitmaster Raellia had a few mana bombs from a previous war and I managed to test a few out after I killed her and took some of her items. Good stuff. The difference between disrupting the mana streams from within is that there really isn't any balance for that available. It'll end up causing more harm than good because there's an endless supply of you being alive (favors), so you'll always be around to disrupt every room. Think of all the streaming code that would have to change as every single Barbarian shifts from room to room, thus changing each separate mana levels per each room -- that makes it a possible resource hog. Mana bombs are not endless in supply, they are finite. That makes them more easily balanced in the overall perspective of the game. Even though there is history of Barbarians using mana bombs, if they ever were live and usable again in DR, I think Thieves and Traders should also know how to make a mana bomb besides Barbarians.

It would be nice if it were possible to make mana bombs for all three of those guilds and possibly be sold in Vishlan's shop eventually.

<<I could see mana disruption becoming the effect of a meditation.>>

Depends on the direction the Barbarian Team wants to go with meditations. I see meditations mostly as affecting the Barbarian from within, instead of affecting his/her outward presence (which is what intimidation roars do).

- Simon

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Frontpage.html
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/15/2006 07:39 PM CDT
I believe the item to change the room mana type, called a nemiro stone, was lost with the DR 2.0 conversion. They used to drop from Vyakthi in the hive, but since DR2.0 their spawn is all wonky and after hunting in there for hours in Plat I've not found any :( Disapointing for sure.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/15/2006 08:04 PM CDT
That's right, Renwulf. I think the same issue with the DR 2 conversion also affected mana bombs, along with nemiro stones.

- Simon

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Frontpage.html
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/16/2006 02:06 AM CDT
They still drop, they still activate (sink into the ground), they just don't work.

I am --- Navak
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/16/2006 11:49 AM CDT
Oh is that what that thing was!? I think I tossed it out from my vault awhile ago..
Re: AVOID MAGIC 05/31/2006 06:04 AM CDT
Go put a copper in Ainandil, mate.