Berserk + 02/11/2006 01:46 AM CST
I started hunting frostweavers recently.....they use ice patch and frost scythe is it? Anyways, I usually stay standing on the ice patch and I usually dodge the frost scythe. But I have noticed, that the spells do get cast successfully without a problem. But I did notice that when I berserk nightmare (only one I tried so far(several times)) the frostweavers completely fail to cast their magic(motes, fades, ect). I also notice that when I first start the berserk I still get shot at by the magic, but once I regain full IF + berserk nightmare is still running, my BMR takes care of it.

So basically,
without anything...the casts are successful.
Beginning nightmare berserk casts are successful.
Full IF plus nightmare berserk casts are unsuccessful.

Now I am not sure how close I am to stopping the cast with BMR right-out with my current stats, circle ect. but I was thinking nightmare would give just the basic BMR bonus that all berserks give. Maybe I will try and hunt in there with various lower berserks and see if I notice a difference. I will try tomorrow.
Just thought I would share.

Codiax.

Why kill anything when you can kill mages
Re: Berserk + 02/12/2006 09:04 AM CST
just a note codiax....

you will never cause TM spells to fail outright.

they just get less and less accurate.
Re: Berserk + 02/12/2006 09:26 AM CST
So when I caused the spell to fail....that was ice patch then? And not frost Scythe I'm guessing?

Codiax.

Why kill anything when you can kill mages
Re: Berserk + 02/13/2006 05:55 PM CST
Only spells with multiple components will fail completely due to MR...like Divine Radiance has two uses, one of which is TM but it can be fully resisted probably through some quirk of the multiple functions. Or stat contested spells.

I haven't checked frost scythe since the change that allowed it to be self-cast but I don't think that change affected it.

I am --- Navak
Re: Berserk + 03/15/2006 12:36 PM CST
<<So basically,
<<without anything...the casts are successful.
<<Beginning nightmare berserk casts are successful.
<<Full IF plus nightmare berserk casts are unsuccessful.

That's correct. Your current state of inner fire will always affect your extended magical resistance (otherwise known as BMR). Berserk nightmare doesn't have a direct increase to Barbarian Magical Resistance so what you are noticing is normal so far. The slight stat boost to strength along with your current state of inner fire via berserk nightmare is what is helping you out with causing some of the spells to be unsuccessful.

If you've ever wondered why a cleric can usually cast on a Barbarian successfully (unless you are outclassing them in stats completely) right after you've departed, it is because your BMR is at its lowest potential point to resist a spell. The Barbarian's inner fire is depleted, causing that situation for a spell to be successful (generally speaking - a greater potential chance for the spell to succeed).

<<but I was thinking nightmare would give just the basic BMR bonus that all berserks give.

What you are thinking is that all berserks would give a direct boost to BMR (correct me if I'm wrong with this assumption). That isn't the case though. Berserks (for example) like steel, grave, kuniyo, everild and trothfang. Those will give direct boosts to BMR and you can say the same thing for dances. Dances like (for example) wolverine, panther and dragon.

In every single case though, your current level of inner fire combined with either the stat boost you are gaining from that berserk/dance/roar and potentially a dance/berserk that offers a direct BMR boost will determine your effective (final outcome) BMR level.

- Simon

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Frontpage.html
Re: Berserk + 03/15/2006 05:17 PM CST
Just thought I'd check in 9 yrs later. A. BMR is still a joke. B. Those proclaiming to know how it works dont C. Refer to any posts from 1996 to present day- and you'll read the same thing repeated 1000 times.

Holbroke (First bitcher of BMR)
Re: Berserk + 03/15/2006 06:07 PM CST
BMR is a joke?

...Okay.

I guess you've never played a mage character before. I'm not saying it couldn't be better or worse or a few spells couldn't be brought in line, but it's mighty powerful. Normally I respect opposing opinions, but if you honestly think BMR is a complete waste of time I have no idea what to say.

Abd also, magic and MR have changed drastically in 9 years. If you've been gone that long then you have no idea how it works now. It's a completely different system. Of course, if you're comparing it to the beta days when a Paladin 30 circles above me couldn't Halt me... well, then yeah, I guess BMR is a joke compared to what it used to be. But it was a little too godly way back when.

Malkien the Barbarian has already been to the moon: that's why there are no signs of life there.
Apis the Cleric's tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

Re: Berserk + 03/15/2006 07:08 PM CST
It just wouldn't feel right coming back if I didn't get to hear Holb complainin about something. ;) Good to see you in right proper form, Holb!

Joub
Re: Berserk + 03/16/2006 10:02 AM CST
BMR is the best guild perk in the entire game.

~Player behind Korutu
Re: Berserk + 03/16/2006 12:20 PM CST
Be quiet, everyone knows the best guild perk is speculate coin.

I am --- Navak
Re: Berserk + 03/17/2006 06:29 PM CST
Good god! Its a Joub and a Holbroke.

Make dinner not love, wench.