BMR vs. Halt/MB 05/31/2005 05:17 PM CDT
What sort of stats are we looking at against these Psychic attacks,

I spar frequently with MM/Pallies and notice they can cast these spells upon me which either stun/sleep/immobilize me easily.

Is this contest between: Charisma/Discipline or Skill vs. Skill (I.E. their magic vs. my Evasion?)

I'm looking also for a good counter against these. (I'm also sparring those close to my level...so about 50th+

Thanks!
Re: BMR vs. Halt/MB 05/31/2005 06:13 PM CDT
You're refering to will vs will spells.

I believe it goes...

Casters Disc/Intel/Charisma + magic vs Your Disc/Intel/Concentration.

Sadly these are quite broken spells. I believe chill spirit was will vs will and a great example.

Others include tingle, mental blast, halt...

All I know is, when a moon mage 15 circles my junior can mental blast me I cry.

The trick to beating this is two pronged. One, high disc and charisma to make them have to use a boat load of mana to get you down. On the same front keeping stats relatively even = higher base BMR.

Second strategy is what I call the best defense, otherwise known as a great offense. Take your pick with ranged weapons. I'm a fan of heavy thrown. Hit them before they can hit you.

Of the moonies I spar (outside the tourney circuit) most have crap TM so just dancin dragon is enough, I stand up after getting mentl blasted and start firing.

-G, player thereof

---
Messenger Boy: The Thessalonian you're fighting, he's the biggest man I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: That is why no one will remember your name.
Re: BMR vs. Halt/MB 05/31/2005 10:19 PM CDT
Not taking BMR into account:
Intel/Disc/Charisma/mana vs Intel/Disc/Charisma

A Large Mastterm's group just went north.

[Volentri] "does anybody has any idea what a group of Mastterm is?"
[Worrclan] "Sounds like a dog of sorts."
[Worrclan] "Where do you see them?"
[Volentri] "nevermind,, false alarm"
Re: BMR vs. Halt/MB 06/01/2005 11:42 AM CDT
Fairly certain chill spirit had unique mechanics all its own.

The purpose of MR is to decrease the mana in the spell pattern.
Ex. 9 mana is the minimum amount my WM can use in vertigo to land the spell on my MM through his MR. Min prep is 5. That 9 mana cast functions, approximately, as if it were a 5 mana cast.

Other than this particular effect, MR itself does not play into the spell Vs. stat contest.

For WvW, train charisman, int, and discipline.

Your best defense, really, will be dragon dance.

It takes a max, or close to max, MB to get through most barb's dancing MR. At 65 mana that's extremely expensive and takes a long time to prep.

You probably won't get those results right at 60 when you get it, but fear not, because...

<<Of the moonies I spar (outside the tourney circuit) most have crap TM so just dancin dragon is enough, I stand up after getting mentl blasted and start firing.>>

It really has nothing to do with whether your opponent has "crap" TM or not. I have well over 700 TM and around 1150 PM - I'd be hard pressed to hit a dancing barb my level - even if they were unconscious. Awake and on their feet is right out.
Re: BMR vs. Halt/MB 06/01/2005 12:29 PM CDT
>>Fairly certain chill spirit had unique mechanics all its own.

Not really, was one stat difference between it and other WvW spells. Think it was wisdom instead of intelligence, but not certain on that.

Brabs

It's fascinating, though, how much like an oral culture this can be when it's carried out entirely in text.--GM Natala
Re: BMR vs. Halt/MB 06/01/2005 04:23 PM CDT
<<Not really, was one stat difference between it and other WvW spells. Think it was wisdom instead of intelligence, but not certain on that.>>

News for you, chief: That makes it not-a-WvW-spell. It also makes it a unique mechanic.

What spells, exactly, do you think the note about ""Spell vs Spirit" Spell Review " in the 2005 goals is referring to?

GG.
Re: BMR vs. Halt/MB 06/03/2005 04:02 PM CDT
In general they just need enough mana to get through the resistance to not have the spell fail and then there's a stat contest which they will usually win due to stat training differences. I'm just glad that moon mages don't have anything similar to the paladin mind buffing spells, otherwise it would be a ton worse.

I am --- Navak