BMR Question (surprise surprise) 09/02/2004 03:28 PM CDT
A swamp troll bellows a word of power.
A brilliant flash of light issues from a swamp troll's hands.
Small motes of light flicker for a moment around a swamp troll, then fade.

I keep seeing these lil flashes of light, are they a result of resisting the spell?

-Caraamon

- Everild, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill because they ticked me off.
Re: BMR Question (surprise surprise) 09/02/2004 04:09 PM CDT
>>I keep seeing these lil flashes of light, are they a result of resisting the spell?

Yes.

~Kodiac
Shield: It does a body good.
Re: BMR Question (surprise surprise) 09/02/2004 04:32 PM CDT
Ooh, I have a question on that, thank god you brought it up kodiac. I was in lang yesterday and the weaker swampies, the ones that wield a mauler were effectively casting that spell on me, throwing me off balance. Is that normal for a creature 20-30 circle range to break through a fully IF'ed high 60's barb with 300+ concentration? Was curious if those are just bugged or not

War Hawk Catullus
Re: BMR Question (surprise surprise) 09/17/2004 02:40 AM CDT
>Ooh, I have a question on that, thank god you brought it up kodiac. I was in lang yesterday and the weaker swampies, the ones that wield a mauler were effectively casting that spell on me, throwing me off balance. Is that normal for a creature 20-30 circle range to break through a fully IF'ed high 60's barb with 300+ concentration? Was curious if those are just bugged or not

Couple things...

1. Concentration doesn't really matter. Concentration = disc and circle. MR = combination of all stats, circle doesn't matter.

2. Arc light is the spell in question. It affects everything at melee. The spells that affect everything as melee are actually dealt with as area effect spells by the magic system. In other words, if I was sitting in hiding not even engaged I would contribute to resisting the spell also. Why am I saying this? Because room MR is in a easier to overcome. When you have to overcome a room full of people's MR...they make it a little easier. For example, it might take me 10 mana to cast ES on cat. However, if cat was in my group and I casted ES on myself and it extended to whole group, then it might take me only 7 mana.

3. Dude, it's arc light. Stop whining and man up.

Player of Tessaa
Re: BMR Question (surprise surprise) 09/17/2004 08:02 AM CDT
Also BMR is based upon racially balanced stats, so if that is out of whack, your overall BMR is weaker.

I am --- Navak
Re: BMR Question (surprise surprise) 09/17/2004 07:16 PM CDT
>Also BMR is based upon racially balanced stats, so if that is out of whack, your overall BMR is weaker.
>Navak

I don't think that's accurate. What you mean to say is that every stat plays an equal role in MR.

They way you said it, if I was a human with 40 in every stat, then I trained reflex up 5, giving me 45 reflex and 40 every other stat, my MR would be weaker than if I had 40 in every stat.

Basically, the product of all your stats is a good MR rating.

Player of Tessaa
Re: BMR Question (surprise surprise) 09/17/2004 08:42 PM CDT
I'm not talking MR, I'm talking BMR. Yes if you did that your overall BMR wouldn't be optimum.

I am --- Navak
Re: BMR Question (surprise surprise) 09/18/2004 04:19 AM CDT
>I'm not talking MR, I'm talking BMR.
>Navak

Same thing.

BMR is based on same stuff as my WMMR (that's Warrior Mage Magic Resistance, similar to Barbarian Magic Resistance). Barbs just get a boost from dances (boost size based on IF usage of dance), berserks, amount of IF you have, etc.

Product of your stats is best way to gage how much MR your stats are giving you. From there obviously barbs get big bonus.

Player of Tessaa
Re: BMR Question (surprise surprise) 09/18/2004 08:00 AM CDT
Uh, not exactly. MR isn't based on IF usage of the dance, otherwise there'd be times where panther boosted better than dragon. MR with a berserk = crap unless you spend 10-15 minutes regaining IF before you face anything with magic. How much IF one has left is a large factor. More stats = more MR, more stats = more BMR, more stats that are racially balanced = best BMR. Unless they've changed how BMR is calculated without telling us, which wouldn't surprise me.

I am --- Navak
Re: BMR Question (surprise surprise) 09/19/2004 04:48 PM CDT
>How much IF one has left is a large factor.
>Navak in post #2664

>Barbs just get a boost from dances (boost size based on IF usage of dance), berserks, amount of IF you have, etc.
>Tessaa in post #2663

Player of Tessaa
Re: BMR Question (surprise surprise) 09/22/2004 04:21 PM CDT
>>I'm not talking MR, I'm talking BMR. Yes if you did that your overall BMR wouldn't be optimum.

He right on there. Mine isn't optium because I wan to bring my mentals up to help my lerning rate, but for optimum BMR spend the point in whatever stat will cost the least to raise.

Brabs

Fighting with a bunch of archers in Geni.

"Hey, it's shoot GENI, not shoot GEN!"
[Arcath] "Public Service Announcement: Please shoot at the archers and not at Arcath"
Your mind hears Gelicast thinking, "shoot the gelv cyclops, not gelicast"