BMR change? 08/11/2004 05:15 PM CDT
Being a new barb I do not know a lot about magic resistance but I understand your circle, stats and inner fire determine your level of BMR. I think that our magic ranks should should provide a TINY TINY TINY boost to our resistance as well. The only way we can learn magic is by listening to those tree huggin, moon gazin finger wagglers. So a mage teaching us how they use magic is akin to letting an enemy general how many troops you have and your battle plan. It just makes sense that magic ranks should help us avoid/overcome their magic if we know how it works.

With that said, I do not know what negative effects of learning magic there is in place. But if there are, maybe there should be evaluated.

Karnn
Re: BMR change? 08/11/2004 05:34 PM CDT
Knowledge of magic will never provide a boost to your barb in any conceivable way. Period.

~Player behind Soleran

Trebek: The answer is: "Popeye is this sort of man".

Trebek: Sean Connery. And, remember, these are words that begin with the letter "S", not "Swords".

Sean Connery: Sabre!
Re: BMR change? 08/11/2004 05:35 PM CDT
We're actually headed in the opposite direction. There aren't any negative effects for having magic ranks yet but there will be in the future.

~I am a world before I am a man. I was a creature before I could stand.~
Re: BMR change? 08/11/2004 05:36 PM CDT
Learning magic is very bad and decreases your inner fire. Learning magic would serve no purpose in aiding resistance since there are no spells we can learn or any way to have knowledge of an opponent's spell preparations.
We have BMR and inner fire due to our very lack of magic and the ability to learn it. By accepting magic you only weaken your Barbarian abilities.

-Everything I know I got by eating the brains of smart people.
Re: BMR change? 08/11/2004 11:36 PM CDT
damn .03% of MD..... if they make magic hurt us in the future there better be some quest or pilgrimage to make it go away.... or maybe just wake up Mo so I can go talk with him and he can hit my with his Turkey leg of Power and I will lose all Magic skill.... all .03% of it.....

Roughneck Deagar
Re: BMR change? 08/12/2004 02:40 PM CDT
I believe there will be a quest to undertake, much like the quest Paladins have to get rid of stealing ranks, before magic learning has a negative impact on Barbs.

-Everything I know I got by eating the brains of smart people.
Re: BMR change? 08/12/2004 06:01 PM CDT
Yes, but it will actually take time. Not ::walk into church, look around, repent repent repent:: or whatever.

I am --- Navak
Re: BMR change? 08/13/2004 07:55 AM CDT
In the past I made the mistake of listening to two magic classes, someone just began to teach me and I listend without checking what class it was. PM and Target but I have no ranks just a few %'s. I was under the impression that if you have no magic ranks it doesn't affect your fire anything. That only if you had a rank or more would be the only time it would adversely affect us. However, I would like a way to remove the %'s as well. Correct me if I'm wrong and thank you in advance.

War Hawk Catullus soon to be Battle Rager Catullus
Re: BMR change? 08/13/2004 07:01 PM CDT
Also currently the mechanics don't seem to check that you actually learn any magic. Just beginning to listen to a class and stopping before the first pulse will nuke your inner fire, hopefully we can see the ranks and it's not really at .001% or something because that would suck.

I am --- Navak