Barbarian Magic Resistance 07/08/2004 01:27 PM CDT
I think our Magic Resistance should be improved by some sort of stat. Like perhaps charisma may bring our Magic Resistance higher. I think this because I dont really see our Magic Resistance as being very effective. (Maybe it manifests itself the higher the circle). It just seems that every war mage around my circle can whip me (with their magic) as easily as i can kill a gob. If charisma (or anything else) affected our Magic Resistance, then it would be more balanced, because some barbs may resist magic more than other barbs, instead of all of em gettin whooped by a same circle mage.

Thanks
Re: Barbarian Magic Resistance 07/08/2004 01:55 PM CDT
>>I think our Magic Resistance should be improved by some sort of stat. Like perhaps charisma may bring our Magic Resistance higher.

Charisma and Discipline are the two I believe effect BMR.

Brabs

Fighting with a bunch of archers in Geni.

"Hey, it's shoot GENI, not shoot GEN!"

Ambassador Genneron, of M'riss
[Arcath] "Public Service Announcement: Please shoot at the archers and not at Arcath"
Re: Barbarian Magic Resistance 07/08/2004 02:00 PM CDT
<<I think our Magic Resistance should be improved by some sort of stat. Like perhaps charisma may bring our Magic Resistance higher. I think this because I dont really see our Magic Resistance as being very effective. (Maybe it manifests itself the higher the circle). It just seems that every war mage around my circle can whip me (with their magic) as easily as i can kill a gob. If charisma (or anything else) affected our Magic Resistance, then it would be more balanced, because some barbs may resist magic more than other barbs, instead of all of em gettin whooped by a same circle mage.

First off, what circle are you? The early life of a Barbarian's resistance isn't that great, but it grows as you progress. Secondly, stats do effect Magical Resistance for Barbarians, including Charisma. You'll have your optimum magic resistance with a balance of body mind and spirit(i.e. balance your stats if you're going the path of Magic Resistance). Not only do stats effect our resistance, but dancing does as well. The more inner fire you burn the greater the chance you'll resist spells. I have no problems beating mages 10-15 circles higher than me, it's all in how you train your stats and skills which plays a role in your magic resistance
Re: Barbarian Magic Resistance 07/08/2004 03:46 PM CDT
Not just balancing your stats, balance your stats according to one's race. When all stats cost the same to increase, they're racially balanced, then one's natural BMR is at its highest overall. I do think that berserking's BMR boost needs to be checked as I have been in langenfirth, berserked out of a stun and started taking IF hits from fendryads casting tkt at me. Seeing as with no dancing and at half fire I don't take an IF hit, something is definitely wonky there.

I am --- Navak
Expanding and controlling Barbarian Magic Resistance 01/08/2009 02:26 PM CST
Hey Team,

We've always had BMR and have always had to give up a great deal to utilize it. The entire mantra of the guild to not use magic is something I hope continues as it can corrupt the true spirit of the warrior.

The one thing I've noticed with BMR is that it has always been used defensively. Great! But, that's a static train of thought. I wonder if we can expand on the idea of BMR collectively. Inner fire and the abilities that help boost magical resistance relying on inner fire revolve around the concept of Chi.

Not only does the Barbarian not have any control of who he/she can affect with BMR, but it's purely done from a defensive standpoint, simplistically lowering a magic user's mana expended on the spell they have prepared. While this is great, there's absolutely no control on the player's end to tell their Barbarian character how the mana should react.

Why not allow the Barbarian have the opportunity to focus his magical resistance toward various different possiblities? Yes, to still use it defensively in order to reduce the mana within the magic user's spell, but also with functionality of stunning, immobolizing, putting the magic user's spell back to them to set them unconscious; in a sense, using your BMR for utility purposes.

Another option would be to deflect magic back to the magic user in an attempt to strike back at them with their own mana in the spell!

To sum up, BMR could be used:

With defensive purposes

With utility purposes

With attacking purposes

It should not stop there, because an option should be given to allow the Barbarian the option of WHICH person he should focus his BMR toward using in a defensive manner/utility manner/attacking manner. For a guild that focuses on balancing mind, body and spirit, our BMR has not really reflected that and I hope that can come into play with this type of suggestion.

- Simon
Re: Expanding and controlling Barbarian Magic Resistance 01/08/2009 02:37 PM CST
Love that idea Simon! Love it.

Drevid

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: Expanding and controlling Barbarian Magic Resistance 01/08/2009 02:58 PM CST
>Love that idea Simon! Love it.

Re: Expanding and controlling Barbarian Magic Resistance 01/08/2009 05:40 PM CST
I support this 110%. I couldn't possibly go into explaining my feelings lately on the subject of BMR and defending against magic without a little negativity so I won't bother to go further. I hope this is seriously taken into consideration when BMR is changed.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Expanding and controlling Barbarian Magic Resistance 01/08/2009 08:37 PM CST
<<I couldn't possibly go into explaining my feelings lately on the subject of BMR and defending against magic without a little negativity so I won't bother to go further.>>

No doubt, I understand your passion on the subject just as much as other people. Just look at it from multiple perspectives and try to be as fair as you can. If anything, this game teaches patience because we deal with so many different personalities on the message boards/in the game.

I know you all are very creative because I've had an opportunity to pick at your minds for a couple of years - How do you feel the idea of BMR could be improved upon?

- Simon