Blacksmithing Experience 12/29/2010 07:11 AM CST
The current character load in Test was back about 20 ranks ago in my mech lore. I've tried a range of recipes, including simple, basic, somewhat challenging, and the most experience gain I saw was from completing a lockpick ring (basic), but that only moved my skill from 2/34 to 6/34 while using steel ingots. Is this working as intended, or should i be trying different metals (more eaily workable) with the somewhat challenging recipes?

Also, I've posted a few bugs when i haven't seen anyone else around, just in case you weren't looking at that :)

Great system though! I look forward to seeing it expand!

Re: Blacksmithing Experience 12/30/2010 09:37 PM CST
The difficulty of the metal can make an item over twice as hard to craft. But there is no difference in exp gain from a 200 rank item, or a 100 rank item made x2 as difficult via materials.

4 learning levels from 1 item sounds reasonable. You should try to mind lock it and see how difficult that ends up being. Some factors to consider...

Your round time will decrease with strength and the potency of the tools you are using. This means more bits in less time, and faster mindlocking. I hope to soon add a way to gauge how well a template will teach, so that should clear the water somewhat too.

Thanks for the feedback!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Blacksmithing Experience 12/31/2010 09:11 AM CST
Doesn't this tell you when you study/read the page in the book or when you analyze the item you're crafting? Of course I chose the Blacksmithing Career and learned some of the disciplines, so perhaps that's why?

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Blacksmithing Experience 12/31/2010 12:00 PM CST
Not yet, its on my list to give the player feedback when studying the item about how hard it generally is (not taking into account material modifiers).

Learning techniques and selecting a career shouldn't penalize you more than a few % for making items that used to be difficult and now are easier.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes