Testing 09/18/2012 03:21 PM CDT
Hey, just a heads up... if any GMs want to let me know when they want more testing, feel free to give a shout out. I've been testing kind of rarely and still have a couple concerns with Barbs (throw boost pleeeease), but other than that things are going in the right direction I think.

When I get off work I usually choose to do some training in DR over testing in the test instance. But hit me up if you are available to observe testing and most likely I can go ahead with more testing. Setting up days work for me too (I do want to continue testing against other players as well) so we can get more people in at once.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Testing 09/18/2012 04:22 PM CDT
Ditto -- My AIM is Stigma21215. I'm on during the day while I'm at work but don't usually jump on in the evening unless I know testing needs to be done.

__
You hear the voice of Jaedren exclaim, "Look! I'm Leilond!"
You notice Jaedren come out of hiding.
Jaedren shimmers out of sight.
Re: Testing 09/18/2012 05:52 PM CDT
Prediction needs testing.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Testing 09/18/2012 06:39 PM CDT
I'm available to test any sort of Ranger weirdness. I just never know exactly what I should be trying to play with in the test instance, so my visits there have been infrequent at best. AIM: hexedbythenet

The Shard Sentinel nods to Alexii and says, "Yes, you may pass."
Alexii says, "Sucker!"
Re: Testing 09/18/2012 07:12 PM CDT
I think I am using the new magic system wrong. So if anyone would like to tutor me on 3.0 not failing that'd be awesome...
For instance, I cast Nissa's Binding, it instantly wears off. Is this a bug, is my spell stance wrong, are my stats/skills versus what I am fighting just losing the contest?

Also, I can normally cast most of my spells at 40-60 mana and currently I can't cast most of them at 20. I am really not sure what I am doing wrong. I know it has to be me, because no one else has really mentioned this kind of issue.

HALP. Pa-lease halp me. <Leeloo voice.>

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.
Re: Testing 09/18/2012 07:21 PM CDT
>>For instance, I cast Nissa's Binding, it instantly wears off. Is this a bug, is my spell stance wrong, are my stats/skills versus what I am fighting just losing the contest?

How instant is instant? I know disablers that put people to sleep/stun/immobilize/etc aren't meant to have notably long durations anymore. You might not be winning the contest as well as you think you might be. Do you knock them out well in like ship rats?

>>Also, I can normally cast most of my spells at 40-60 mana and currently I can't cast most of them at 20. I am really not sure what I am doing wrong. I know it has to be me, because no one else has really mentioned this kind of issue.

You're not doing anything wrong, you just need to re-learn your limits. The idea that you should be capping out most spells at like 400-500 ranks of PM is going away. That said, you generally won't need as much mana anymore to get the same kind of results: you're not expected to cap out spells in order to get a good amount of effectiveness out of it.

Just as an example. Currently, it takes me 24-30 held mana to get the full effects of Rite of Contrition going. In 3.0, it only takes me 8-10 mana, and I don't even have the skill to cast it above like 14.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Testing 09/18/2012 08:06 PM CDT
>>capping out most spells at like 400-500 ranks of PM is going away.

Oh yea, I had forgotten about that. I bet that's why I've been so confused!

Now knowing what I DO know about mana I'm not getting them instantly waking up. I'm fighting things more "my level" though. I get 15 seconds on (4) ship rats... and I'm actually getting 15 at (4) brocket deer too after testing. Used 20 mana for the rats, 30 for the deer. On baby gryphons though I get about 7-10 seconds, even if I pump up to 50 mana. So I'm guessing that's where it should be.

I'm also not always getting the <creature> wakes up message, so that may actually be a bug.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.
Re: Testing 09/18/2012 09:58 PM CDT
>>Prediction needs testing.

Care to multi-class me into Moon Mage? >.>

__
You hear the voice of Jaedren exclaim, "Look! I'm Leilond!"
You notice Jaedren come out of hiding.
Jaedren shimmers out of sight.
Re: Testing 09/19/2012 06:03 AM CDT
i've been trying to predict using the 3 different sets of bones. what precisely would you like to know about the predictions?, what sort of feedback do you wish?

Keep in mind, my character in test isn't a nomad, she's a monk, and only in the 40s circle-wise. Or, if you want some g'nar peth feedback, if you want to copy over my TF moonie i could try it with her. I think she's somewhere in the neighborhood of 60th or 70th circle? <haven't played her in quite a while :-)>

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Testing 09/19/2012 10:58 AM CDT
I don't expect much feedback on bonding rates (Just the time investment that would be asking for is... large). Mostly I'm looking for bugs (Errors in messages I missed, results that just don't seem to make sense, aligns that don't work -- buggy sorta things!) If I knew what they were ahead of time I'd fix them already ;)

Aside from that general feedback on how the system feels -- do people like/understand the new messaging? What about the new mechanics?

Does exp feel good?

Basically, assuming the other tools, the known issues, and the support systems are all updated, does the system feel like something you'll use, enjoy, and be able to train with?

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Testing 09/20/2012 07:09 AM CDT
Ok, and, because I like to test wierd stuff.... here goes!

observe sun
You scan the skies for a few moments.
The mid-afternoon sun is unobscured by clouds.
The sun shines with a steady, yellow light.
You learned something useful from your observation.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>align backstab
You focus internally and align yourself for a prediction on Astrology.
Roundtime: 2 seconds.
>

UM.... is this intended? As you can do other guild-only non-moonmage skills, thus...

align trading
You focus internally and align yourself for a prediction on Trading.

And this one is really cool:

You feel less aligned to probability.
>roll my bones at lvana
You realize you have not yet aligned yourself properly to perform a prediction.
>align thanatology
You focus internally and align yourself for a prediction on Thanatology.
>
Pain! A concept erupts from the back of your mind, cold and crushing. For a few, sharp moments you experience The End -- the death of stars and the deconstruction of fate as a metaphysical force.
The death of the universe orbits... something. Some force or some entity. Something you cannot see; that you have an unconscious need not to.
It sees you.

COOL! I like that you put it in again!
>
Your spirit feels less drained.
>
>
>
>

>
>heal
Your body feels at full strength.
Your spirit feels very strong.
You have no significant injuries.

>
>
>

>
Your spirit no longer feels drained.
>
Re: Testing 09/20/2012 07:15 AM CDT
also, based on comparing with my DR prime character, it took away 1 favor to align on thanatology. However, there was only the spirit drain, no death. interesting. :-).

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Testing 09/20/2012 09:12 AM CDT
Once again, quoting from the announcement:

>Known Issues
>Prediction on Guild only skills doesn't work right now. I'm waiting for some other parts to shift around, so be warned if you try aiming for guild only skills right things are going to break.

I'll let you know when that issue is resolved.

And, yes, I repaired align thanatology to work properly again.

-Raesh

Re: Testing 09/20/2012 12:35 PM CDT
ok, this one seemed a little off: using the "awesome bones" -

>align LT
You focus internally and align yourself for a prediction on Light Thrown.
>roll my bones
You cast your bones before you.
The Krr-tich bounces several times and lands pointing directly away from you.
The Sek-rith tumbles end-over-end before coming to a rest pointing directly away from you.
The Moon Sphere coming to stop with the top face depicting a longsword.
The Sun Disk lands black side up.
You gather your bones back up.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

Why would it show a longsword, which is a heavy-edged weapon, and "counts" as heavy thrown - if thrown - for Light thrown?

I also noticed that one could only predict on the newname of the skills, at least in the weapon skillset, such as small edged, bow, etc. One could not use the old names - although you CAN use the old names of the weapons in combat, and in appraisal, etc. Might have to change a few scripts if people cycle thru the old weapons for predictions. <i usually don't specify a particular skill when i've done prediction, i usually just predict on the whole skillset>.

I did check some of the "new" skills, and I managed to predict on them. <melee mastery>, etc. Without the "predict analyze" working though, I can't really judge how well I'm doing, or learning, as that is the main way I train astrol. with any of my MMs that haven't passed the enchant test yet. I believe this one has passed it though, because she can study the constellations. <i haven't played her in awhile>

/---
Leucius
Re: Testing 09/20/2012 01:48 PM CDT
I was testing with some enruned divination bones that I had in my vault, but for some reason I can't invoke them?

l bones
All told there are four carved bones, small enough to cup in one hand. The Krr-tich and Sek-rith are long and slender, the Sun Disk is painted white on one side and black on the other, and the final bone is the nearly spherical Moon Sphere, which is covered in tiny symbols.
You realize that these bones are not enmeshed with the web of fate and will need to be invoked first to provide the proper prophetic connections.

invoke bones
You cautiously extend your prophetic talent towards your divination bones, but the sensation is decidedly unwelcoming, as if the bones are rejecting you.
Roundtime: 20 sec.

So I'm wondering are they already bonded to someone else? I kind of doubt it, since I'm the only one that's ever used them or if there is a bug somewhere? Or am I not understanding the invoking process?

Also is there a way to list the feats I've learned?

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Testing 09/20/2012 02:07 PM CDT
Nevermind the last question I figured that one out. Duh!

Anyway I have the following feats:

You recall proficiency with the magic feats of Sorcerous Patterns, Basic Preparation Recognition, Faster Targeting, Faster Battle Preparations, Faster Rituals, Alternate Preparation, Focused Preparation, Augmentation Mastery, Utility Mastery, Improvised Rituals, Cautious Casting, Injured Casting, Deep Attunement and Magic Theorist.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Testing 09/20/2012 06:15 PM CDT
>>Why would it show a longsword, which is a heavy-edged weapon, and "counts" as heavy thrown - if thrown - for Light thrown?

You missed. That's always been there (And is actually the entire reason the moon sphere has properties -- to control that miss rate). All I removed is the chance of a prediction giving you wrong information.

>>I also noticed that one could only predict on the newname of the skills, at least in the weapon skillset, such as small edged, bow, etc. One could not use the old names - although you CAN use the old names of the weapons in combat, and in appraisal, etc. Might have to change a few scripts if people cycle thru the old weapons for predictions. <i usually don't specify a particular skill when i've done prediction, i usually just predict on the whole skillset>.

Can you give a few examples? I'm running through the same logic those systems use to avoid this, so if they're giving differing results I'll need to figure out what's up.

>>So I'm wondering are they already bonded to someone else?

That's the message you're getting. It's possible something was corrupted when they converted to the new system (which would be a bug I'd very much like to catch now...) or in the transfer to test. I'd have to catch you when you're in test to be sure. If you put an assist in (in any instance) over the next 2-3 hours I should be around to take a peak, later then that tonight will be hit or miss. If you assist for me and I'm not around please ask whoever answers to collect a copy of the bones for me to look at (Both one from test and one from live would be the best case) and the name of the character you're using in Test.

Thanks!

-Raesh

Re: Testing 09/20/2012 07:23 PM CDT
Just take predictions out of the game completely, IMO. :)

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha